Hecho - San Francisco
185 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94104Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Hecho - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hechosf.com/
- Phone: 4158356400
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM.
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM.
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Joseph Manzare
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: We can cater off site events for 100 plus people.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining room that accommodates up to 40 people. The restaurant upstairs dining room can be bought out as well.
- Private Party Contact: Rafael Jimenez Rivera 4158356400
A word from Hecho - San Francisco
After extensive travels to Mexico to study tequila, Mexican food and culture, coupled with extensive travels to Japan to study Japanese food, culture, restaurant architecture and design, Joseph Manzare announces his newest venture: Hecho. High end Japanese sushi and robata. The bar features over 80 premium brand tequilas, plus an extensive sake program. The name Hecho comes from the Spanish word for "made.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hecho - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Udon noodlesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/13/2013Love their Udon noodle dishes. Very reasonable: $12-$14 for soup, salad and noodles.
- Decor is basic but food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/11/2013Decor is basic but food was delicious and service friendly and helpful. I took my nephew who has spent a lot of time in Japan and he agreed that the food is excellent. Good value!Special Features:
- Great sushi good tequila listOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/10/2013Simple, clean, elegant sushi. Not the cheapest, but what you get value for what you pay. If you're a tequila lover, you'll be in heaven.Special Features:
- Lunch selection is limited,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/8/2013Lunch selection is limited, sushi was not good. Such a disappoint Hecho used to be great.
- Incompetent service, overpriced susbritguyVIPDined on 12/28/2012This place needs to know what it is- Sushi or something else. Service is friendly but completely incompetent and lets down the rest of the restaurant. Sushi is actually pretty good but way overpriced.
- Your Review: I usuallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/11/2012Your Review: I usually give generous reviews. However, this restaurant is surely overpriced. The food was average but it was at least 2 times the pricing compared to similar Japanese restaurants. The one shocker was that they charge $3 per cup of green tea which was brewed from a lipton tea bag. The waitress did not let us know that they would charge for green tea and there is no where in the menu that says it costs $3 per cup of green tea. So, we got charged $9 for 3 cups of green tea from one lipton green tea bag. I did not want to ruin the mood of the dinner so I only let the waitress know that it would be nice if we know ahead of time that the green tea will be charged and I paid for them anyways. I don't think that's the way to do b
- They need a whole new managementSophieVIPDined on 12/1/2012They need a whole new management and new chef, there was nothing good about this place.
- Bizarre, horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2012The service was so bad here I actually hesitate to call it service at all. After two hours we had only gotten our appetizers. When we asked about the rest of our meal, the waiter at first tried to say we hadn't ordered anything else, then said "Oh yeah yeah, it's coming." There was ONE chef/sushi maker, and he was moving SO slowly. He also clearly had not even started our main courses yet- AND THERE WERE ONLY 2 OTHER TABLES OF CUSTOMERS! We finally just asked for the check so we could go somewhere else and the waiter just said "OK"- he didn't even try to make it right! Then he STILL wouldn't bring us the check! After 30 minutes we just put some money down and walked out. My aunt was visiting- so embarrassed I brought her to this place.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2012I went there for lunch with two friends. Although we had a reservation, they didn't have a table for us and we had to wait for 20 min. They also charged $3 for hot tea, which was made in advance in the kitchen and not served individually in a tea pot. That's a taboo for a Japanese restaurant. Maybe, maybe $1.00, not $3.00.
- So sad to see this go so wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2012This place seems like such a cool concept, but fails miserably at the execution. We were a group of about 6, and although we made a reservation, they were very surprised to see us. Ultimately they had to seat us in an abandoned area upstairs with tables and chairs stacked to one side. Our waitress did not know any of the items on the menu, and would frequently bring us things that we didn't order along with not bringing things that we did order. In one very obvious case, she brought a pork dish that we expected to be the filet mignon skewers. We skeptically asked if this was really the filet mignon, and she replied that yes it was. Hopeful to be proven wrong, we bit into them and discovered that they were most definitely NOT beef.
- It's great if you're lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/8/2012It's great if you're looking for good tequila or someplace chill to meet near Union Square. It's not great if you are a sushi-snob. You're paying a little extra for the location and the ambience.Special Features:
- Lunch is better than dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/1/2012Lunch is better than dinner. This is the first time having dinner there and I would not go back. there were flying bugs in the soya sauce used for the sushi and they were in more than one container. There were no service. The sushi was okay but other than that, there was nothing positive about this dining experience.
- The service was slow and madethelonelychefVIPDined on 9/7/2012The service was slow and made a lot of mistakes with our order. Although they did compensate for the mistakes, the food just wasn't yummy enough for us to go back.
- Never again will I go to anMichelinStarHunterVIPDined on 8/26/2012Never again will I go to an OpenTable restaurant that many people have given only 3 stars. Why didn't I take their opinions seriously? This place was just awful: (1) I was informed that they were only serving sushi tonight which meant that instead of the free salad they replaced it with a free bowl of tasteless rice, and that all cooked items were not available. (2) the sushi quality itself was very poor. Seriously. I mean the color of some of the sushi was gross looking. Listen to everyone else on this page...
- Horrible experience613VCDined on 8/4/2012Was not impressed with the restaurant. We arrived at 6:30pm and sat at the sushi bar. We tried to order the Yakimono (grilled food) items but was told they were not available because the chef was not in yet?? And the Yakimonos was like 25% of the menu. So, we ordered 3 items on the sushi menu, 1 of which was the seared scallop which the waiter (or maybe he was the manager) also told us it was not available until the sushi chef said he'll wing it. He ended up using a mini propane tank to flambe the "seared" scallop. We weren't impressed with the sushi chef either. He wasn't familiar with what was in the sushi roll and kept checking the menu to see what's the next ingredient he needs to add. We were very disappointed and left hungry.
- Hecho No BuenoOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2012Hecho was a thorough disappointment. We made reservations for 8:45 and clearly inconvenienecd the staff by arriving ar 8:33, although plenty of tables were open. The food was pretty good, but it took an extraordinarily long time to get our appetizers (edamame and seaweed salad) and even longer to get our entrees. We had to beg for the check, by which point I was beyond frustrated and still hungry, as the portions were small. I will never go back and I have heard similar experiences from others that have gone - since I was there obviously.
- Dinner maybe better, but thePadreVIPDined on 7/20/2012Dinner maybe better, but the lunch service was disappointing!
- Top Notch sushi lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2012Late afternoon sushi parade. Been eating out too much, needed somewhere healthy and relaxed to have a business mtg. Nice service, chef very attentive. Lunch was perfect, not cheap, but sushi was top notch.Special Features:
- Worst dining experience in SFOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/2/2012Worst service I've had in years. Host/bartender/waiter was rude, disheveled, and had a bad attitude.
- The best thing on the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/8/2012The best thing on the menu we had were the skewers. Sushi and octopus salad was okay, edememe was over cooked. Skewers were great though, I would come back and just have that
- arrived on time - no table,OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/7/2012arrived on time - no table, waited 1/2 hour to place order after having to get up from bar to find a waitperson, waited 1/2 hour more for food after having to get up again to find someone, SKIP IT !
- The hostess was rude and notRuPriceVIPDined on 6/5/2012The hostess was rude and not very accomodating, our waiter was extremely nice but other staff didn't know the menu when we asked questions.Special Features:
- Great sushi. Started goingSkydine40Dined on 5/31/2012Great sushi. Started going there after the arrival of new head chef. Overall, very good experience.Special Features:
- Fun and FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2012During our trip to San Fran we were pleasantly surprised to find this hidden gem. Quiet and intimate; dimly lit but with a contemporary and minimalist design; and a staff that was eager to serve, our group of 6 (including one child) had great time. The menu is a selection of small plates so you can try a variety of things and its no big deal if you like something and just want more. The Sushi was great and fresh, the green tea (and Saki) just kept coming... and you have to try the short ribs. The entire table had to order more. A great value especially for a food lover.Special Features:
- Not sure why the Yelp reviewModernistVIPDined on 5/18/2012Not sure why the Yelp review were low (3 stars currently), the sushi/sashimi quality was excellent and the side dishes were great (especially skewers). A bit on the pricey side but we indulged.Special Features:
- Mistakenly made reservationRobmoralVIPDined on 4/18/2012Mistakenly made reservation to hold lunch meeting with client while there was a European Championship soccer game going on and lots of yelling and shouting. The restaurant is all hard surfaces to the loud noises reverberated and made having a discussion painfully difficult. Menu was limited, mostly Japanese cuisine and highly priced. I will not return.
- mediocre - won't returnOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/12/2012Had lunch there recently, service was lackadaisical --- until they wanted us to leave (after 45 minutes, so it's not as if we were lingering), when they buzzed around the table repoeatedly checking to see if we had paid yet or not. Fish was fresh & delicious, but overpriced for what it was. Wouldn't go back, there are many better choices in the financial district.
- Hello to HOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/7/2012This is one of the better sushi places in SF. I was impressed with the freshness and unique flavor combinations. It is eclectic in the approach of mixing a Mexican flavor (awesome margaritas) with the sushi. The margaritas are so good!! Not to syrupy like so many others. But back to the sushi; very impressed and will be returning for the happy hour, so I can enjoy more. Also, like that all desserts are vegan!Special Features:
- Great concept Brilliant executionmacjacVIPDined on 4/6/20122nd time we've been here in past 2 months. EXCELLENT. Sushi well done (!), combination rolls outstanding, every detail thought out and well executed. The spicy margaritas are an unexpected perfect accompaniment.Special Features:
- Great Food Service Was NotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2012After hearing so much about this spot i decided to take my gf to dinner. The selection was amazing the fish was fresh and delicious. The drinks were great! The service was not that great. Our server forgot parts of our simple order. It took forever to get our 2 rolls. I might come back but for the price of food and drink I would expect the service to be spot on.Special Features:
- Table super tiny. Seats wereJEMPVIPDined on 3/27/2012Table super tiny. Seats were little simplistic benches with no backs. It was raining and there is no seat back to drape the coat over and no coat hooks or rack to use, so we had to fold the wet coats in our laps for the lunch. Food good but rather expensive for nothing out of the ordinary. Great wait staff. Very friendly environment. Just not comfortable.
- I had bachi, hirame, walu,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2012I had bachi, hirame, walu, saba, kani and ikura nigiri-zushi, along with sunomono and a Tokyo Mule cocktail. All excellent.Special Features:
- I was expecting much morebabs824VIPDined on 3/23/2012I was expecting much more creative sushi considering the name and hispanic influence. If you really like sushi with a flair, try Nick Sans in Cabo.
- Sushi was fresh, but pricey.KennypowersDined on 3/16/2012Sushi was fresh, but pricey. The Oyakodon was terrible. Very bland - no flavor. Service was not very knowledgeable/helpful.
- For a city with so much greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/9/2012For a city with so much great sushi, this place is an embarrassment. The fish is very low quality.
- Very fresh fish but the servicezivagoleeDined on 3/2/2012Very fresh fish but the service can be very slow and not very attentive. I would go back for the freshness.
- Give Hecho a try!MaplenessVIPDined on 3/2/2012Tried this place after work and it was a pleasant experience. We were greeted immediately and seated by the hostess. The pork belly skewers were deliciously charred, and the hamachi and walu (butterfish) sashimi were fresh. We also tried the egg with broccoli rabe and was surprised to see it come out in a dashi broth - it was delicious, comforting yet unusual. Our server appeared a little harried even though it was not very busy, and had to be reminded to bring our drinks some 15 minutes later. Given the Fi-Di location, it's not surprising that the prices are on the high side. However, I would still return on occasion with co-workers.
- Did not have the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2012Did not have the atmosphere of a Japanese sushi bar/restaurant...Sachio Kojima's talents were not fully displayed...sushi was excellent but his showmanship which I was enjoyed at Kabuto prior to his departure from SF was never unveiled...drop the emphasis on tequila and broaden the bar selection, especially the sake...
- Poor service, lacks creativity.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012Poor service, lacks creativity. Standard sub-par sushi.
- Lived up our expectations.macjacVIPDined on 2/15/2012Lived up our expectations. Great pairing of 5-spice margaritas and sushi!Special Features: