Hecho en Dumbo - Main Dining Room
354 Bowery Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Hecho en Dumbo - Main Dining Room
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hechoendumbo.com/
- Phone: 2129374245x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 2:00am
Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Danny Mena
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch
A word from Hecho en Dumbo - Main Dining Room
Hecho en Dumbo began in as a pop-up operating several nights a week out of a local café in Dumbo, Brooklyn. Chef Danny Mena's menu of antojitos, or "little cravings," features refined rustic Mexican staples and contemporary Mexico City cuisine. Derived from the official "Hecho en Mexico" seal, the restaurant's name speaks to the authenticity of the cuisine, the local sourcing of organic and sustainable ingredients, and the degree to which fundamental components of Mexican gastronomy – breads, tortillas, salsas, and even cheeses – are made fresh in-house. In a broader sense, the aim of Hecho en Dumbo is to celebrate the contemporary, cosmopolitan culture (and counter culture) of Mexico's vibrant urban centers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Hecho en Dumbo - Main Dining Room - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Hecho en Dumbo - Main Dining Room reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (15)vibrant bar scene (10)great for brunch (9)romantic (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Nothing specialUp4anythingDined on 10/25/2014I was given the task of finding a good/ fun restaurant in Noho for a group of friends. The restaurant really did not live up to our expectations. The ambience was nice- basic rustic, the food selection was not great. There was no chicken on the menu other than in soup. I had the sea bass, it was not very flavorful and certainly did not seem to have a Mexican flair. We all left wanting more food and although we had plenty of time before our next stop, we opted to go elsewhere. B Bar and Grill right next door looked much more appealing and I was sorry that I didn't find that in my search.
- Delicious food and great service!SyracusemomVIPDined on 10/12/2014Everything we have eaten here is delicious. The drinks are inventive and fun. We especially love the ceviche, guacamole, tacos and burger. Fun for brunch and happy hour too.Special Features:
- Great TimeDeeKayyDined on 10/4/2014Thought the restaurant had great margaritas and interesting, unique food choices. Good choice for people willing to try something new. The atmosphere was fun and upbeat.Special Features:
- Lousy service, mediocre foodPresidentRachelDined on 10/4/2014The margaritas are decent but I would not return here except maybe just to sit at the bar. We had to get up from our table to find our server more than once, and there were no vegetables on the menu. Just a lot of cheese and corn. Even the guacamole was subpar.
- Amazing CevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Went for dinner with a group of 7--some vegetarians some not. Everyone LOVEd the food. The Ceviche was spectacular. We're going back for it soon.Special Features:
- Great for dinnerLITTLEONE102VIPDined on 9/6/2014Amazingly spaced tables for an NYC restaurant. The cocktails are varied and well prepared, but the meals stole the show. Sea bass entree was amazing and the small plates are great for sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunchMariDined on 8/31/2014The brunch menu has many choices and the food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer happy hourheightsrunnerVIPDined on 8/21/2014Great happy hour from 5-7p daily. Amazing margaritas and great app specials. Delicious.Special Features:
- MediocreLyonDined on 8/15/2014Overall, food was decent. (But don't get the octopus -- $15+ for one piece that was pretty rubbery.) Cocktails were well made, but it took way too long to make. Service was atrocious. Servers took a long time to bring us drinks, take the food order.Special Features:
- great experiencektothezDined on 8/3/2014we were a group of 7 with 3 toddlers for sunday brunch. the staff was friendly and accommodating, but service was a bit slow at times and we couldn't believe the prices for a small cup of OJ for the kids! (not much less than my mimosa if i recall correctly). though the space is not particularly roomy, there was adequate space to put some tables together and still be comfortable. i imagine it's much busier for dinner hours. food was excellent! space is simple and quaint. would absolutely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/31/2014Had a 6:45 reservation, so got to choose off the Happy Hour menu. Great value...couple of margaritas at half-price. Same for apps. Flan was excellent. Would definitely recommend Happy Hour menu; not so much if there at other times. Bit pricey for limited menu. Carnitas plate was very good, featuring a rib, pulled, pork belly, cheek and maybe one other cut. However, it would've benefitted from some crunchy veg alongside it...maybe pickled onion or something like that. They serve small tortillas with it, and the crunch, flavor, juice from veg would've pushed it over the top.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatdrinknycDined on 7/14/2014Small portions of good (not great) food though definitely not worth the prices. As someone who frequents better quality Mexican venues (Mexicana mama, Yerba buena, rosa Mexicana, rocking horse) and doesn't mind paying for the experience, I thought this one fell a little short. My friend and I didn't get the hype on this one.
- good date spotprovidenceinnewyorkDined on 7/14/2014Made a reservation for a Monday night, but found that to be unnecessary as the place was very empty. The wait-staff was very attentive and even relit our candle when I accidentally blew it out. The drinks were very strong and fairly priced (I got the michelada cubana and enjoyed it) but I was a little underwhelmed by the portion of the food (pretty small for the price in my opinion, but not abnormal for a restaurant of this quality). I got the sopes and my date got some pork soup I can't remember the name of. We both enjoyed our dishes a lot.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/10/2014The food was good - all the appetizers, entrees and tacos we shared were delicious. Nothing special, but good Mexican food. However, beware: the drinks are expensive. We paid more for drinks than we did for the food although we each only had 2 drinks. The margaritas were good but not $14 good.Special Features:
- The following 5 reviews are from the Hecho en Dumbo - Main Dining Room reviews archive.
- MandBVIPDined on 6/28/2014Disappointing! We've dined here before, including tasting menu in kitchen-this was one of our favorites. We arrived to an empty restaurant but the greater refused to seat us until our party was complete. We wanted to order drinks and food while we waited but were denied a table (there was only 1 table occupied!). Whenour party arrived we were allowed into the dining room. Food was good but portions absurdly small. Three tiny tacos each the size of a silver dollar on an otherwise empty plate. Hint: charge $1 more and fill out the plate with beans, rice, or even chopped lettuce just for presentation. The consensus of our party is no one will go back!
- Glad to see on open tabletimcVIPDined on 6/27/2014Never had the patience to wait for a walk in table but now I know what I've been missing. Excellent and original menu. Marrow & lengua was great. Rabbit was the winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heche en DumbotdunprofDined on 6/27/2014Third time there- never fails to produce fabulous food. This time the service was especially excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing Second VisitJohn55VIPDined on 6/21/2014About a week ago i ate at the chef's table which was terrific. I came back with a friend to try the main dining room which was wonderful. You have to try the marrow bones. They are amazing. i had the bean salad which is on the salty side but great. For main courses we had the Carnitas which if you love pork is not to be missed. Pork belly, pork cheek, rib and essentially what is Pernil with soft tortillas on the side. We had the vermicelli with scallop - this is really spicy and hot but unusual and worth it. Lemon and cheesecake combo for dessert was special. Service great. The courses come a bit slowly but who wants to rush any way. Noise level is high but the food trumps it. Don't miss it - started out as a pop up in dumbo -Special Features:
- Hecho en CieloOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/6/2014This is one of my very favorite spots in the City. Fantastic Food, cozy ambience, great cocktails. I actually prefer to grab seats at the bar with my friends. Start with the Tamarind Margarita, fresh made guacamole and Queso Fundido con Chorizo. The rest of the evening takes care of itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.