Hecho en Dumbo Chef’s Table Menu Prix Fixe
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $50 and over
Hecho en Dumbo Chef’s Table Menu Prix Fixe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://hechoendumbo.com/
- Phone: 2129374245x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Danny Mena
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from Hecho en Dumbo Chef’s Table Menu Prix Fixe
Hecho en Dumbo accepts reservations for our tasting menu only. The $65 Prix Fixe is available for parties no greater than two and is served exclusively at the counter overlooking the restaurant's open kitchen. As there are no substitutions, please refer to the menu on our website should you have any allergy concerns or dietary constraints prior to booking.Continued
For large party reservations, please refer to the group dining page on our website.
For large party reservations, please refer to the group dining page on our website.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hecho en Dumbo Chef’s Table Menu Prix Fixe reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)special occasion (2)neighborhood gem (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Chef's Table for 2GaleDined on 8/16/2014It was a great dinner! Each course was delicious the quality, taste and variety were superb. I never had Mexican food like that before it was totally different. I particularly liked the cream of corn, chile poblano zucchini soup with goat cheese. The Chef was behind the counter and engaged with us explaining the orgins of the food and techniques. The hostess was extremely attentive. The only negative was that we could not finish our meal, it was delicious but too much food for us. The positive was that we had a wonderful meal together the next night that we had taken home----unfortunately our appetite was not large enough.Special Features:
- Terrific!!!!John55VIPDined on 6/14/2014I did not realize we had reserved for the Chef's table which I am usually not a fan of but my daughter and I went with it and the food was amazing. This is really a fabulous meal and deal. The food was extraordinary. It would be hard to describe the many flavors of the listed courses and also all the extra plates they give you but it is so worth it. I was puzzled by another reviewer who felt the kitchen staff was not friendly (you are sitting at a bar in the kitchen). These people are working like crazy and have no time to chat. They are serious about their craft. I spoke to them and the chef and told them how great the food was and they were all smiles. Don't miss this place.Special Features:
- Prix Fixe - affordable and amazingTNJennDined on 6/14/2014Special courses were served between the menu's five set courses to make this a even greater find. The food was AMAZING. The price can't be beat. I highly recommend Hecho en Dumbo if you're on the fence or looking for a great prix fixe-- you won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBobGDined on 6/7/2014The menu was imaginative, the food magnificent and the delivery fresh, personalised and "above and beyond".Special Features:
- The following 76 reviews are from the Hecho en Dumbo Chef’s Table Menu Prix Fixe reviews archive.
- worth the moneyDaveVIPDined on 5/23/2014Highly recommend. Fantastic staff and the chefs prix fixe menu exquisite. Sit back and enjoy a meal of Mexican food with a creative twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- henryVIPDined on 4/19/2014The Chef's table is fantastic. This was our second time at the Chef's table for a birthday celebration. I highly recommend it for foodies. Plenty of food for your appetite!Special Features:
- Always fantastic, hands downOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/27/2014Always fantastic, hands down the best Mexican in NYC. Great to watch the chefs do their thing while eating such delicious food.Special Features:
- Delightful DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/18/2014I booked a tasting dinner at the chef's table for my husband's birthday and we could not have been more delighted. The food was divine, each course including the chef's between course delicacies were memorable and beautifully prepared. The service was warm and attentive, the ambiance comfortable and the wine was reasonable and delicious. The food rivaled high end, culinary stars at a remarkably fair price. We had a perfect evening and highly recommend this experience to all who appreciate fine dining in a casual but classy environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful meal for birthday dinner.bcnyDined on 2/1/2014We went for my husband's birthday. Five memorable courses plus three more that they threw in, which was a nice surprise. Interesting take on Mexican. Light, modern, fresh tortillas which you can watch them make,Special Features:
- Monday night bluesEnZedDined on 1/27/2014Perhaps it was the Monday night that meant we entered an empty restaurant and had to trek across a vast floor to the back kitchen where we sat alone watching and inhaling the deep-fryer in action. We saw a lot of great Mexican street food go out but unfortunately this option meant we missed out on that and got served over-fussy fusion options instead. The best bit were the two complimentary courses thrown in by the chef who I suspect sensed our disappointment. This would be a greta place for a large group looking for well-priced Mexican food a cut above the usual taco joint.Special Features:
- Chef's table?sthrngrlnycVIPDined on 1/22/2014My husband and I were the only ones at Chef's Table that night, yet the chef didn't even come over to say hi. She just stood as far away from us as possible and chatted with the host and waiters. All the sous chefs wouldn't even look us in the eye, much less talk to us. The food was great, so next time I guess we'll sit in the dining room so we feel a little less ignored. Such a weird experience!
- Probably the best, most low-key,G814VIPDined on 12/17/2013Probably the best, most low-key, most inexpensive world-class tasting menu you can get in New York today. This is not a modernist cook trying to wow you with obscurity but dish after dish (with bonus dishes) of incredibly flavorful Mexican dishes that will remind you that the food we all love has flavors, textures, ingredients, and imagination well beyond what you can get at Chipotle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super chill, super foodThreeethanDined on 11/17/2013My wife and I loved the tasting menu at Chef's Table. Consistently delicious -- my favorite was probably the sweetbreads brought out between courses. It was a fantastic experience to enjoy Mexican food with of this quality. Excellent, creative margaritas as well.Special Features:
- This was a fantastic mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2013This was a fantastic meal and experience from start to finish!Special Features:
- Chef's table Halloween specialSauceNotGravyDined on 10/31/2013Went with gf for a nice din. We wanted to try the Halloween "scary menu" which was composed of 4 different plates including sweet bread, bone marrow and blood sausage. The food was fantastic. I reserved the "chefs table" as a romantic gesture, good thing I went with my gf and not as a first date because, damn was it hot back there! I guess I should have expected that though... Continously dabbing the sweat off my forward was worth the food, and after some delicious margaritas it became unnoticeable. I do think the servers could have been on top of things a bit more, also I understand it was a special menu, but they should be aware of what the main courses actually entail. Great experience overall though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/30/2013Had been wanting to go for a while, and saw the food rating on opentable being a 4.8 out of 5 - shame on anyone who didn't give this place a 5. Easily one of the best meals we've ever had, and we've been to a lot of places. Fantastic flavors, excellent preparation, really unique, and then we were blown away by the value. Compares really well to other prix fixes at Torrisi, 11EMP, Momofuku Ko, even Atera and Per Se (with fewer courses). The seats are not as uncomfortable as advertised here (comparable to Atera) and the chef table area in the back is definitely quieter than the front room. It's not white glove service, but if you like amazing food and don't need all the frills, decor and ambience, it's worth the trip.Special Features:
- Viva Mexico!YoshijimVIPDined on 10/21/2013Best bang for the buck on a tasting menu. The food is superb and as a bonus you can try some of their tequila flights that go down pretty easy with the cuisine. The staff other than the chefs are very pleasant. the seats are rough on the back but at least you have one unlike some of the restaurant kitchen bars.Don't miss this bargain at $60 not including the booze.Special Features:
- A gourmet, eating experienceSammy1121VIPDined on 10/3/2013The chefs table was a fine dining, gourmet culinary experience a la Mexico. The kitchen is an open and bustling laboratory, and the chef micromanages each plate with attentive care. There is no mediocre serving at the chefs table, and the complimentary, off-the-menu items in between plates will keep you guessing. A fit for foodies, wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our second dinnerAllenVIPDined on 9/26/2013This was our second dinner at this restaurant, and even without the surprise factor we had on our first visit, the food remains excellent. The is Mexican food that you cannot easily obtain in New York. Be aware that you will be sitting in the kitchen, at a counter, and on chairs that are not particularly comfortable. Otherwise, however, the experience is wonderful. The staff are attentive and pleasant, and the counter itself is not particularly crowded. The food, though, is the main attraction and it is well worth the trip.Special Features:
- I have eaten at the "chef'slikestoeatVIPDined on 8/24/2013I have eaten at the "chef's table" twice. The chef's table is really just a counter in the kitchen with a predetermined menu. The food is excellent and inventive. The first time I went the service was slow (surprising given that we were seated in the kitchen) and some of the food was room temperature and not hot. The second time I went the service was better and the waiter much more friendly and informative. The advantage of sitting at the chef's table is the lower noise level. The main room is deafening. The kitchen staff does not interact with you at all which is unfortunate. No hello and no good-bye. Overall, though, I will go back because the food is interesting and well-prepared. The cocktails are excellent.
- Chefs table is greatJojogo1VIPDined on 7/13/2013Food and service was excellent. Fun to watch chefs making everything. The tasting started with a corn "salad" that was spicy (for me not my husband) and very flavorful. Next was a lobster broth w oysters that was interesting but my least favorite of the night. Then they seved some mini tacos that were excellent. Then a light and delicious fish ( sea bass?) and then a tender and delicious bit of lamb with home made tortillas. The dessert was excellent. Very reasonable at 60.00Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new New York favouriteTOFoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2013We went on a Sunday night and sat at the Chef's Table. Was not sure what to expect, given some of the mixed reviews on here. We are both SERIOUS foodies and have dined frequently at some of the finest restaurants in Manhattan, and this little gem absolutely BLEW our minds. It was beyond incredible. The food was wonderfully simple, yet bursting with some of the most complex flavour combinations I have ever experienced in my life. Everything was fresh and delicious. Do NOT believe a word from the naysayers. This place is TOP NOTCH. Truly one of the finest dining experiences I have had in NYC. To me, it was as good as many of the Michelin-starred restaurants we have been to. Way to go, Hecho en Dumbo. You guys totally ROCKED our world. Kudos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night outBigApple1Dined on 6/24/2013The Chef's Table was a great experience and the food was fantastic. In addition to the menu there were three other courses. There was one miss but everything else was super delicious. The Chef's Table is much quieter than the from of the restaurant which lends itself to conversation. It is an incredible value for such sophisticated food. I highly recommend it. I look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/8/2013Had a fantastic meal at the Chef's table. Food was fresh and inventive, and we enjoyed watching how calmly and expeditiously the meals were served. They also give you 2-3 additional amuse bouche sized bites in addition to the menu. Enjoyed a couple of their delicious cocktails. Highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Farm-to-Table MexicanJKinNYCVIPDined on 5/22/2013Go to Hecho en Dumbo and sit at the Chef's Table. One great course after another, plus unique drinks and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of the best mexican expiriencesFanfarloVIPDined on 5/11/2013Amazing mexican food. In front of a platoon of outstanding and tough guys preparing all the delicious food (that's entertainment!!), you will get one of the most tasteful and creative menu a Mexican restaurant can offer in NY. On top of it, chef compliments were very good (pork belly, ceviche…) Service is a bit disorganized but nice and gentle. Great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasure to watchOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/10/2013Always a pleasure to watch Chef Mena and the kitchen staff cook, and the food is terrific! A sophisticated take on traditional Mexican cuisine, in a series of small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food as always fromOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/6/2013Terrific food as always from Danny Mena's creative and delicious tasting menu. It's a pleasure to be able to watch the team preparing meals while you eat, and service is very attentive.Special Features:
- Loved the chef's table. InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Loved the chef's table. Interesting spot in the restaurant with tasty and interesting food. Good chat with servers and other diners. Good music and atmosphere in the restaurant.Special Features:
- So much fun ! Loved the tastingSantaVIPDined on 1/18/2013So much fun ! Loved the tasting menu! Loved the kitchen table.Special Features:
- Love, love, loved it! We didLoveFoodDined on 1/5/2013Love, love, loved it! We did the Chef's Table for my husband's birthday. We were treated like very special guests. The chef was there, acknowledging us and sending us little bites in between courses. The wait staff was very helpful in selecting mezcals and tequilas, they were also very friendly. I'm going back this week actually.Special Features:
- Really great, inventive interpretatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/4/2013Really great, inventive interpretations of Mexican cuisine, attentive service, and we love watching the chefs do their work.Special Features:
- Whos the Chef?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/19/2012The experience could be dramatically improved with engagement by the Chef. Dishes were explained by the server. I needed to ask to be introduced to the Chef and even then there was no further interaction. Food was great but the table lacked the buzz I was expecting.Special Features:
- Wasn't that bad but waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/30/2012Wasn't that bad but waiter was very slow so meal was three hours but should have been dne in two. Drinks took forever to get. Food on their main menu is better than this tasting table idea.Special Features:
- This was my second time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2012This was my second time here and it was just as good as the first, though with a new seasonal menu. For people who really know and understand Mexican food. Five stars!!Special Features:
- Loved it probably the bestDoctorstanVIPDined on 11/23/2012Loved it probably the best mexican I have ever had outside of OaxacaSpecial Features:
- This 5 course meal is an awesomeJCranburyVIPDined on 10/26/2012This 5 course meal is an awesome deal... There are 3 mini-dishes of their specialties in between courses.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the range of tastingsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012Enjoyed the range of tastings offered, but would have also delighted in some traditional standbys from the regular menu sprinkled in. Corn soup was delicious, as was the chickpea and avocado salad. Did not care for the quail, and would have much preferred the short-rib tacos or chicken sopes instead. The chefs table is an excellent spot for watching the kitchen, as well as having a normal conversation, while enjoying a great meal. Drinks are also inventive and quite special, including the Tamarind Margarita.Special Features:
- I wanted to like this prixOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2012I wanted to like this prix fixe menu but it was very uneven. It is true you get like 9 rather than 6 courses, and it is fun to see to the cooks at work. But of the 9 courses I would say 2-3 were things of note, and in Manhattan I expect better from a tasting menu where the chef can put out whatever. As other reviewers noted, after seating it takes like 15 minutes before you get any food--that should be easy to solve. The drinks at this place are indeed good. Overall, not bad if you're into this type of experience, but in NY for this money you can simply get better accomplished food, including mexican.Special Features:
- Good time, great friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2012Good time, great friendly service. The menu says 5 courses, but others, "compliments of the chef", keep emerging. We had 9 courses in all. A few were not fabulous (an incredibly salty squash soup with an unpeeled shrimp sitting in the middle staring at me) but some were outstanding (tongue and marrow tacos). None were outright bad. You just hang out, sinking your wine, chatting to the chefs occasionally, and food keeps showing up. We really enjoyed it.Special Features: