Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA
1501 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22209Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.heavyseasalehouse.com/
- Phone: 7038794388x711
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Seeber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: From a rowdy crew to captains of industry, Heavy Seas Alehouse is the perfect venue to host your next gathering! We have a separate private dining area with its own bar and a menu to fit any occasion and budget. Our staff is available to assist you in planning your special occasion from beginning to end.
You will be in ship shape for any after work Happy Hour, rehearsal dinner, birthday party, anniversary or any occasion requiring a good time with great food!
For catering menus and to discuss your party needs, contact our party captain at email@example.com or call 703-879-4388
A word from Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA
Our menu features fresh and seasonal ingredients that we source locally whenever possible. The dishes are simple in appearance with bold and assertive flavors that stand up to the intense beers we are known for…ARRRRGGGHHHH!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (39)vibrant bar scene (33)great for outdoor dining (31)great for lunch (24)fit for foodies (20)kid-friendly (13)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)special occasion (3)romantic (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- great service good foodlocsterDined on 9/22/2014hot spot, very friendly waiters.Only negative is that they charge .50 for ice cubes if you order "over the rocks". come on never heard of that before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myfoodopinionsVIPDined on 9/22/2014I was very disappointed. The service was terrible, from the hostess to the bartender to the waiter. The food was middling at best, and very pricey for the level of quality. The one bright spot was the beer - the pumpkin beer was terrific. I'll never go back to eat, and given the poor service, I'd seriously debate about going back at all.
- Great food, great serviceExperimentalEatsDined on 9/20/2014I went here with my wife and dog and sat in the outdoor area. I let them know ahead of time that my wife was lactose intolerant, and our server was prepped with the knowledge of what she could eat right away. Our dog got a little bowl of water during our meal, and all of the food and drinks were excellent! Our server recommended the Tortuga cocktail (she had made the menu recipe herself) and it was delicious! All around great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The first visit was better...hacheprDined on 9/17/2014I have only recently discovered this place but I really, really liked it the first time I had dinner there. I had the beef short rib entree, and it was fantastic...can't go wrong with meat on a bed of more meat. HOWEVER, I went a second time a few weeks later and had the sea bass special and it was less than impressive. Honestly, it was probably just a bad cut of fish but I didn't finish it. Our service was amazing though! And of course the beer is awesome and the vibe is fun. Will go again, but won't order sea bass.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Drinks and dinner two back-to-back nights with work colleagues from out of town. Everyone enjoyed the beer selection. Food and service were good both nights as well. Lots of patrons and consequently very noisy, both at the bar and in the dinner seating areas. Will be a return customer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Went specifically for the rock fish listed on the online menu. Evidently it is only available at their Baltimore location. Food was okay but nothing special. The noise level was off the charts. We were looking for a nice place to walk to for dinner. This was more a bar that served some food.Special Features:
- I love beer.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014And so I tried Heavy Seas seasonal saison special Red Sky at Night. I loved it! Also, our waitress was very nice and attentive and the hostess welcomed us with a warm, friendly greeting and saved us an outdoors table as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood casual diningthx4katrinasupportDined on 9/5/2014Heavy Seas is quickly becoming one of our favorite casual dining spots. The outdoor patio is a friendly, casual setting. The service is attentive, the beers are excellent and the dishes are creative. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Welcome Addition to RosslynEBLizVIPDined on 9/5/2014Went to Heavy Seas for a work happy hour as I assume most of the bar/restaurant's population was as well. I'm not a big beer drinker but the waitstaff was great and had good recommendations and everyone enjoyed their selections. We had the tacos which were very good for bar food, the shrimp I thought were a little bland but also a stonger attempt than most bars make. All in all it's good to have another option in otherwise-limited Rosslyn.Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood GemHeavyEarsDined on 9/3/2014Good food, good service and good brew... Rosslyn is glad to have this Ale House.Special Features:
- More than just good beer!LizGVIPDined on 9/2/2014The food here is wonderful -- and you don't have to be a beer snob to like the beverages! In addition to the delicious beers, there are nice wines and good cocktails. Plus, the menu is varied and everything tastes very fresh. I had the grilled salmon, which was cooked to perfection and served with a wonderful "crunchy" salad. It's a little noisy, but the back room has some quieter tables for us old folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentAddicussDined on 8/31/2014Food was great, service was good but not outstanding. Overall positive experience.Special Features:
- Great Servicel1680Dined on 8/30/2014The waiters were very prompt and good at checking in with the table. The food was good, but it could have been better.Special Features:
- Great service not matched by foodMeglegDined on 8/29/2014I was disappointed by the dry as a bone porkchop which was accompanied by dry shavings of sweet potatoe and what looked like grass on top??? My husband was pleased with the fresh pasta and the beer was good. But overall not someplace I would go out of my way to return to.Special Features:
- Fun dinner out with friends!cheers4beersDined on 8/23/2014Great beers and delicious food! A bit noisy but overall a good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BeerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Good Food, Great Beer. Nice find. Our waitress was outstanding, she knew all her beers great place to meet somebody, near the Metro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Gastro Pub FoodmilounessVIPDined on 8/16/2014Heavy Seas has a versatile menu which it executes very well. You can choose from small plates--I had one crabcake and one soft shell crab--main dinners, and burgers. Everything shows more attention and expertise than the normal pub food. Good, knowledgeable service and nice outdoor seating on a quiet Rosslyn side street. And of course the beer is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NotAChefVIPDined on 8/15/2014Maybe if we had been seated in the front of the restaurant we would have had a better experience. We were all the way in the back in a dark room with very loud music. Also the big TVs are just plain distracting. Salads and burgers were fine. Can't say i would rush back there. It's okay for lunch but there are other options around.Special Features:
- yikesSammieVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was bland. Service was ok but felt forced. Not going back!
- good serviceBigEVIPDined on 8/11/2014The beer was good and the service was great. I will definitley wb heading back.
- Surprisingly wonderful!ssh217VIPDined on 8/9/2014Passing through the Arlington area with hungry toddler, remembered reading about this alehouse, decided to stop and so happy we did! Waiter was excellent--very personable and attentive. The beer was amazing and I'm not a beer drinker (husband is). Def try the cask porter--it was divine. Great kids menu with real food options and they give out wikki sticks which was a big hit. Good menu options--husband had salmon, I ordered fish and chips. Fish and chips was excellent--as good as England's! Nice size portion, light batter, high quality cod. Salmon was on bed of veggies and topped with bacon--husband was pleased. Ordered crab stuffed pretzel as appetizer--was good but not as flavorful as hoped. Not too busy but crowd picking up when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotDinerDustinDined on 8/6/2014Good beer, good food, and surprisingly good cocktails.Special Features:
- PeteKappieDined on 7/23/2014The beers are great and the food is delicious. However, the portion sizes left us a bit disappointed. The salmon was very small and for $23 a plate, we were expecting to be full and not wanting to order more food. Unless the portion sizes or prices change, I would recommend going just for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayEarlyValentineDined on 7/22/2014Fans of Heavy Seas beers will enjoy this spot, especially the draft beer choices and bar style menu options. The crab pretzel was amazing, but beware of trying anything on the menu that is not typical of a bar menu. We tried the shrimp with the bean corn pineapple salad but it was still pretty bland and hard to eat (lots of peeling required). Light beer drinkers will like the Gold Ale and young professionals will enjoy the lively happy hour and bar scene.Special Features:
- Family-friendly, good food, loudEdwardVIPDined on 7/17/2014I took my family and friends (6 adults, 1 kid) here for happy hour and then dinner. We asked to sit in the back room since the front area had a large happy hour event. The staff was incredibly accommodating and the food was good. The only downside was the large group of frat guys that also got a table in the back and treated it as a frat party - screaming, pounding shots, running around the room. We told our server that the other group was being really loud and disruptive but were told there was nothing they could really do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence Opportunity LostExpectedMoreDined on 7/17/2014The beer by Heavy Seas is an excellent product. This prompted us, three long time friends and beer connoisseurs, to meet for lunch at the Alehouse. After we were seated, a bus boy brought two mugs of water to the table for the three of us but never returned with a third. We waited at least 15 minutes but never had a waiter come to our table, nor did anyone else so much as bat an eye in our direction. The place wasn't that busy but I had to see the Hostess to get a waiter to come to our table. In fairness, she was astonished that we hadn't been waited upon. When the waiter came, he apologized and stated that there had been confusion as to whose table it was to serve. When served, our orders were only warm, like they had been sitting.Special Features:
- Incredible food and great beer!VSKfoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014We went to Heavy Seas for the beer, but ended up liking the food just as much-- if not more! We were a group of 6 so we sampled a lot of the dishes-- the tacos were our favorite appetizer but the calamari and rolls were also great; the rabbit, salmon, beef short ribs, grouper, and pasta with chicken were amazing! Loved them all. We didn't have room for dessert, but we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudHeavyEarsDined on 7/11/2014Glad to have Heavy Seas in the neighborhood, but they need to do something about the noise... my guess is that even after everyone leaves, peoples' conversations continue to bounce around in there for hours...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RestaurantSnobRestaurantSnobDined on 7/9/2014I was completely surprised by how nice the restaurant is, given that the name meant something a level above Long John Silvers. The service was attentive, and the decor very appealing and comfortable yet enjoyably casual. I went for a business lunch but would return to eat on my own, given how much I also enjoyed the food quality. Best Softshell crab!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedMjl788Dined on 7/4/2014I made reservations for 9 for dinner on the 4th of July. We arrived early, the one plus was that they were able to seat us early. So much went wrong, I was humiliated for having suggested the place. Mom ordered a VO Manhattan & the waiter had no idea what that was. He didn't even go ask the bartender, just said he didn't know what it was and waited for her to order something else. My parents food (a salad & fish and chips) came over 15 min after everything else after someone finally complained to the manager. Brothers short ribs were completely cold. Sisters soup was inedibly bad. Mother asked to add shrimp to her Ceasar salad. It arrived with 1 poorly cooked shrimp. They charged her $8 for the salad & $9 for the ONE shrimp.
- Meh.AutoexecbatDined on 6/30/2014Beer was great of course and the calamari and onion rings were both great appetizers, but all four people in my party agreed that our burgers were mediocre. Probably wouldn't go back or recommend except for happy hour.Special Features:
- Heavy HandCTomDined on 6/24/2014My friend and I both had the salmon--his was to be medium, mine medium rare. Both were grossly overcooked. The chef has a heavy hand and needs to lighten up.
- Good food & bar option in ArlingtonJumaDined on 6/23/2014Our server was excellent. Good recommendations and very honest and "on our side" it felt. The rib tacos were excellent, as were the mussels with lobster bisque. The pretzel is interesting but a little off. The crab just didn't work completely. It wasn't bad, just don't know where to place it. It's a big portion too. Would love for them to be able to get the ingredients for a proper Moscow Mule or a solid Gin/cucumber drink option as those were my first orders, which they didn't have. I nonetheless was well taken care of by my waiter and enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014Definitely sit outdoors on the patio if the weather permits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- T-arrrr-ifficCitizenNomadVIPDined on 6/15/2014Fantastic beer, amazing food, and great service. Damien was a great server and the food was amazing. I'll be back over and over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Promise, largely not met, mehShaunVIPDined on 6/12/2014New place, suggested by a friend, but the food and service were pretty much meh. I ordered fish and chips and the fish was not crispy and the chips (fries) were meh. I forget the price, but whatever I paid for a very basic meal was too much.
- Arlington Gem!CarltonDined on 6/8/2014The food, beer, service & ambiance of the Alehouse is outstanding. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/7/2014The two people in our party who had burgers said they were excellent (best they'd had in a while). The calamari and paella were very good too. A nice casual place to enjoy some good beer and great food.Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA reviews archive.
- Impressed!KatherineDined on 5/27/2014I wasn't expecting the food to be so good at a newish restaurant, but we were pleasantly surprised. We only got smaller dishes -- mussels, calamari, grilled shrimp, to name a few -- and they were all delicious. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunchELowDined on 5/25/2014Four of us (+ baby) went for brunch and everyone got something different. Every single one of us loved our meal- from the pancakes, to the steak salad, to the oyster benedict to the breakfast burger we had 100% satisfaction- how often does THAT happen? Of course the beer was fabulous as well- and the outdoor dining area was great. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.