Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA
1501 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22209Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.heavyseasalehouse.com/
- Phone: (703) 879-4388 ext. 711
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Seeber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: From a rowdy crew to captains of industry, Heavy Seas Alehouse is the perfect venue to host your next gathering! We have a separate private dining area with its own bar and a menu to fit any occasion and budget. Our staff is available to assist you in planning your special occasion from beginning to end.
You will be in ship shape for any after work Happy Hour, rehearsal dinner, birthday party, anniversary or any occasion requiring a good time with great food!
For catering menus and to discuss your party needs, contact our party captain at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-879-4388
A word from Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA
Our menu features fresh and seasonal ingredients that we source locally whenever possible. The dishes are simple in appearance with bold and assertive flavors that stand up to the intense beers we are known for…ARRRRGGGHHHH!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (49)vibrant bar scene (40)neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (25)great for outdoor dining (21)hot spot (19)fit for foodies (18)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (8)special occasion (5)great for brunch (5)scenic view (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- 11-22-2014VeronicaVIPDined on 11/21/2014This is my third time but I took my friend his first time to be there. So, we loved them very much! Foods are fantastic! He loved their special Thanksgiving's lunch. He ate all of them! I ate chip & fish, yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local pubJohnnychoodDined on 11/6/2014Great service! Food was good, had steak and trout both were solid. Place can be a little loud at happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceLoveGoodFoodDined on 11/4/2014The service was fantastic here - the restaurant was a little noisy for my taste, but folks seemed to be having fun and it's clear this is a popular after-work spot to go for some great eats and fun with friends. The wait staff was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go For Happy Hour, Not DinnerMereDinesVIPDined on 10/29/2014A number of snafus at our dinner for 7 (celebrating a birthday). The tables near the kitchen are just too tight, food runners are constantly passing n a hurry. Unfortunately one server knocked another and salad landed on my cousin. While people came with towels no one offered to pay for it to be cleaned (which to me is the client service standard when your team was at fault). Secondly, the steak my family member ordered arrived almost 20 minutes after the rest of our meals and came to the table rare. By the time his properly cooked steak came out we had all finished our meals and he took the majority of it home with him. I had the salmon on a bed of greens and they were both far too salty.Special Features:
- Will Not Return or RecommendBarbEDined on 10/26/2014Attractive building and decor but overly heated and terribly noisy. I understand a sports bar atmosphere but to have the loud volume of games AND the commercials coming through the speaker system throughout the restaurant was unbearable. Could hardly hear each other speak and to have to listen to commercials was offensive. Server was less than knowledgeable about their signature craft beers and didn't offer to identify which was which in the tastings we ordered. Menu is creative and doesn't fit the sports bar atmosphere but the food itself was mediocre. My pork chop was just warm, the veggies were cool. Expensive for the lack of quality or care. They seem confused about just what kind of restaurant they are.
- Great nightIndustryProfessional11Dined on 10/24/2014Do not recall the two servers (male) that we had, but they were great! They had to work a party and the section my friend and I were sitting in. The gentleman they did an amazing job, and never missed a beat. If they were stressed, you would not have known it. They were honest, and provided menu recommendations that they felt we would enjoy. We never once had to ask for a re-fill on our drinks. Thank you for a great night, I recommended this place to my co-workers the next day.Special Features:
- NIce place with a good beer listDiscmann131Dined on 10/14/2014As you would expect they have all Heavy Seas standard brews and several guest brews as well to choose from. Food was good an tasty though the service was a little slow for my liking but that could have been from our nonstop talking while were were enjoying Happy Hour. It would go back again.Special Features:
- Great Beer, Innovative FoodPSUDanoVIPDined on 10/11/2014A brew pub that has very good food without being overly creative is hard to find. Heavy Seas is an excellent addition to a growing Rosslyn restaurant area. The chicken wings here are creative and tasty, and the small dishes, among them the mussels, are not that small and certainly satisfying. Their chicken pasta was excellent, with just enough spice and plenty of chicken. And having a respectable wine list with ok prices is definitely a plus. This is a keeper.Special Features:
- good happy hour placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014big bar--crowded on a friday night. several tvs playing sports. two back rooms that you can prob book for a larger gathering. the food was good and they have guest beers on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood barPeterADined on 10/6/2014great spot for a pre-game burger before heading to fedex for mnfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great HH and one-of-a-kind disheswhodatDined on 9/30/2014We had a business dinner and we loved the happy hour appetizers. All of the menu items are one-of-a-kind twists on favorite dishes. The bar crowd was loud, so don't expect quiet dinning.Special Features:
- Good local pubFoodietravelsDined on 9/30/2014Great addition to Rosslyn. The beer and food list is well balanced. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- great service good foodlocsterDined on 9/22/2014hot spot, very friendly waiters.Only negative is that they charge .50 for ice cubes if you order "over the rocks". come on never heard of that before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myfoodopinionsVIPDined on 9/22/2014I was very disappointed. The service was terrible, from the hostess to the bartender to the waiter. The food was middling at best, and very pricey for the level of quality. The one bright spot was the beer - the pumpkin beer was terrific. I'll never go back to eat, and given the poor service, I'd seriously debate about going back at all.
- Great food, great serviceExperimentalEatsDined on 9/20/2014I went here with my wife and dog and sat in the outdoor area. I let them know ahead of time that my wife was lactose intolerant, and our server was prepped with the knowledge of what she could eat right away. Our dog got a little bowl of water during our meal, and all of the food and drinks were excellent! Our server recommended the Tortuga cocktail (she had made the menu recipe herself) and it was delicious! All around great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The first visit was better...hacheprDined on 9/17/2014I have only recently discovered this place but I really, really liked it the first time I had dinner there. I had the beef short rib entree, and it was fantastic...can't go wrong with meat on a bed of more meat. HOWEVER, I went a second time a few weeks later and had the sea bass special and it was less than impressive. Honestly, it was probably just a bad cut of fish but I didn't finish it. Our service was amazing though! And of course the beer is awesome and the vibe is fun. Will go again, but won't order sea bass.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014Drinks and dinner two back-to-back nights with work colleagues from out of town. Everyone enjoyed the beer selection. Food and service were good both nights as well. Lots of patrons and consequently very noisy, both at the bar and in the dinner seating areas. Will be a return customer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Went specifically for the rock fish listed on the online menu. Evidently it is only available at their Baltimore location. Food was okay but nothing special. The noise level was off the charts. We were looking for a nice place to walk to for dinner. This was more a bar that served some food.Special Features:
- I love beer.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014And so I tried Heavy Seas seasonal saison special Red Sky at Night. I loved it! Also, our waitress was very nice and attentive and the hostess welcomed us with a warm, friendly greeting and saved us an outdoors table as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood casual diningthx4katrinasupportDined on 9/5/2014Heavy Seas is quickly becoming one of our favorite casual dining spots. The outdoor patio is a friendly, casual setting. The service is attentive, the beers are excellent and the dishes are creative. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Welcome Addition to RosslynEBLizVIPDined on 9/5/2014Went to Heavy Seas for a work happy hour as I assume most of the bar/restaurant's population was as well. I'm not a big beer drinker but the waitstaff was great and had good recommendations and everyone enjoyed their selections. We had the tacos which were very good for bar food, the shrimp I thought were a little bland but also a stonger attempt than most bars make. All in all it's good to have another option in otherwise-limited Rosslyn.Special Features:
- Nice Neighborhood GemHeavyEarsDined on 9/3/2014Good food, good service and good brew... Rosslyn is glad to have this Ale House.Special Features:
- More than just good beer!LizGVIPDined on 9/2/2014The food here is wonderful -- and you don't have to be a beer snob to like the beverages! In addition to the delicious beers, there are nice wines and good cocktails. Plus, the menu is varied and everything tastes very fresh. I had the grilled salmon, which was cooked to perfection and served with a wonderful "crunchy" salad. It's a little noisy, but the back room has some quieter tables for us old folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentAddicussDined on 8/31/2014Food was great, service was good but not outstanding. Overall positive experience.Special Features:
- Great Servicel1680Dined on 8/30/2014The waiters were very prompt and good at checking in with the table. The food was good, but it could have been better.Special Features:
- Great service not matched by foodMeglegDined on 8/29/2014I was disappointed by the dry as a bone porkchop which was accompanied by dry shavings of sweet potatoe and what looked like grass on top??? My husband was pleased with the fresh pasta and the beer was good. But overall not someplace I would go out of my way to return to.Special Features:
- Fun dinner out with friends!cheers4beersDined on 8/23/2014Great beers and delicious food! A bit noisy but overall a good atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BeerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Good Food, Great Beer. Nice find. Our waitress was outstanding, she knew all her beers great place to meet somebody, near the Metro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Gastro Pub FoodmilounessVIPDined on 8/16/2014Heavy Seas has a versatile menu which it executes very well. You can choose from small plates--I had one crabcake and one soft shell crab--main dinners, and burgers. Everything shows more attention and expertise than the normal pub food. Good, knowledgeable service and nice outdoor seating on a quiet Rosslyn side street. And of course the beer is good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NotAChefVIPDined on 8/15/2014Maybe if we had been seated in the front of the restaurant we would have had a better experience. We were all the way in the back in a dark room with very loud music. Also the big TVs are just plain distracting. Salads and burgers were fine. Can't say i would rush back there. It's okay for lunch but there are other options around.Special Features:
- yikesSammieVIPDined on 8/14/2014The food was bland. Service was ok but felt forced. Not going back!
- good serviceBigEVIPDined on 8/11/2014The beer was good and the service was great. I will definitley wb heading back.
- Surprisingly wonderful!ssh217VIPDined on 8/9/2014Passing through the Arlington area with hungry toddler, remembered reading about this alehouse, decided to stop and so happy we did! Waiter was excellent--very personable and attentive. The beer was amazing and I'm not a beer drinker (husband is). Def try the cask porter--it was divine. Great kids menu with real food options and they give out wikki sticks which was a big hit. Good menu options--husband had salmon, I ordered fish and chips. Fish and chips was excellent--as good as England's! Nice size portion, light batter, high quality cod. Salmon was on bed of veggies and topped with bacon--husband was pleased. Ordered crab stuffed pretzel as appetizer--was good but not as flavorful as hoped. Not too busy but crowd picking up when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotDinerDustinDined on 8/6/2014Good beer, good food, and surprisingly good cocktails.Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the Heavy Seas Alehouse - VA reviews archive.
- PeteKappieVIPDined on 7/23/2014The beers are great and the food is delicious. However, the portion sizes left us a bit disappointed. The salmon was very small and for $23 a plate, we were expecting to be full and not wanting to order more food. Unless the portion sizes or prices change, I would recommend going just for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayEarlyValentineDined on 7/22/2014Fans of Heavy Seas beers will enjoy this spot, especially the draft beer choices and bar style menu options. The crab pretzel was amazing, but beware of trying anything on the menu that is not typical of a bar menu. We tried the shrimp with the bean corn pineapple salad but it was still pretty bland and hard to eat (lots of peeling required). Light beer drinkers will like the Gold Ale and young professionals will enjoy the lively happy hour and bar scene.Special Features:
- Family-friendly, good food, loudEdwardVIPDined on 7/17/2014I took my family and friends (6 adults, 1 kid) here for happy hour and then dinner. We asked to sit in the back room since the front area had a large happy hour event. The staff was incredibly accommodating and the food was good. The only downside was the large group of frat guys that also got a table in the back and treated it as a frat party - screaming, pounding shots, running around the room. We told our server that the other group was being really loud and disruptive but were told there was nothing they could really do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence Opportunity LostExpectedMoreDined on 7/17/2014The beer by Heavy Seas is an excellent product. This prompted us, three long time friends and beer connoisseurs, to meet for lunch at the Alehouse. After we were seated, a bus boy brought two mugs of water to the table for the three of us but never returned with a third. We waited at least 15 minutes but never had a waiter come to our table, nor did anyone else so much as bat an eye in our direction. The place wasn't that busy but I had to see the Hostess to get a waiter to come to our table. In fairness, she was astonished that we hadn't been waited upon. When the waiter came, he apologized and stated that there had been confusion as to whose table it was to serve. When served, our orders were only warm, like they had been sitting.Special Features:
- Incredible food and great beer!VSKfoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014We went to Heavy Seas for the beer, but ended up liking the food just as much-- if not more! We were a group of 6 so we sampled a lot of the dishes-- the tacos were our favorite appetizer but the calamari and rolls were also great; the rabbit, salmon, beef short ribs, grouper, and pasta with chicken were amazing! Loved them all. We didn't have room for dessert, but we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loudHeavyEarsDined on 7/11/2014Glad to have Heavy Seas in the neighborhood, but they need to do something about the noise... my guess is that even after everyone leaves, peoples' conversations continue to bounce around in there for hours...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.