1148 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.heavensdog.com/
- Phone: 4158636008
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday-Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
(Please note, some guests may be sat in our private dining room at a large community table. Thank you.)
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Comfort Food, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Charles Phan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining Room can accommodate from 8-14 guests, and our Lounge can be booked for cocktail parties of up to 30 guests. For information on a full buyout please call.
- Private Party Contact: Reid Combellack 4158636008
- Special Events: Contact us directly via telephone (415) 863-6008, or visit our website: http://www.heavensdog.com for information on holding an event with us.
A word from Heaven's Dog
Charles Phan's SOMA bar and restaurant serving Chinese cuisine and cocktails made using organic and sustainable products. We are open until 11:00 pm Monday through Saturday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Heaven's Dog reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2012Great food! The waiter made some great suggestions and was very helpful. The only disappointment was that when I made reservations via Open Table, I indicated that we were there to celebrate my son's birthday and this was not acknowledged in any way.Special Features:
- Very disappointing.. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/3/2012Very disappointing.. Food was not memorable. Horrible noise from some motor in the building throughout our meal
- UnimpressiveMaplenessVIPDined on 9/21/2012Good service, but just decent food. Nothing was commendation worthy.
- Love love love the bumbleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2012Love love love the bumble bee cocktail and onion pancake!!Special Features:
- Pricey, but tasteful ChineseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/9/2012A nice, unique Chinese restaurant with great waiters and a chill ambiance. We did not go to the Orpheum, but I believe HD would be a great post-theatre nosh spot. The food is pricey, but tasteful. I recommend the pork appetizers, but avoid the Shanghai dumplings. I am biased from living in China and buying these for $1/7 pieces, but I've had significantly better. All of the other dishes were great - recommend the pork spare ribs as a main.Special Features:
- Cocktails are beautiful. EspeciallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2012Cocktails are beautiful. Especially their surprise choice where they design a special cocktail based on your general preferences. It's fun. The food is very Americanized Chinese if you like that. It's tasty but we were looking for real Chinese food with a little more ambiance than the hole in the wall places in chinatown.Special Features:
- Service was incredibly slowOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2012Service was incredibly slow here. The food was ok, but nothing to write home about. I would expect more coming from the same team that put together slanted door.
- Yum to food and drinks!CINeaterDined on 9/2/2012We choose this place because there was a blog online that discussed their mocktails, and although I'm pregnant I still like a fun drink! The drinks (mine a mocktail and my husbands and rum based drink) were wonderful! They came in fun tiki style mugs, and the house-made marichino cherries were great! The Corn Crab Soup was delicious! I'd pass on the duck fried rice. Our waiter was quick, funny and on top of his game. He was also waiting on the two tables next to us with a total of 3 young children! The location of this place is a little obscure, it is tucked back a little, but totally worth a try!
- Food was awesome! We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/2/2012Food was awesome! We were a party of four and ordered only from the small plates so we could try more things. We ordered 5 small plates and 2 desserts and that was enough. My favorites were the Shanghai Dumplings and the Pork Belly Buns. We also had the Veggie Pork Buns (crunchy and good), the Scallion Pancakes (yummy) and the Squid (very good!). Price was reasonable.Special Features:
- Spoiled Osaka-dweller's Thumbs-up!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012Quite good. I now live in Osaka, which is a foodies' paradise and I can be critical of "Asian food"--but Heaven's Dog did not disappoint. We had a series of small plates and all were good. Coincidentally, we had eaten at Slanted Door earlier in the day and had not known these two were sister restaurants. It was excellent as well. Try both!
- Great drinks, appetizers & artOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012I loved the ambiance. The funky collection of large-scale oil paintings of dogs was entertaining in itself. We had tickets for a show at the Orpheum - as did another couple at the bar. The bartender kept us on schedule. The scallion pancakes were amazing! And they drinks were fabulous :) Afterwards, we were able to walk to the Orpheum!Special Features:
- Great - not exceptionalRubyxCubeDined on 8/22/2012We came during happy hour. Loved the spicy wontons but could have done without the chicken wings. They were on the saltier side. Our servers were attentive however when asked for suggestions, one server missed the mark. She may have come across a little more uptight and judge-y than the other server. When I told her I loved ginger and asked about the ginger dessert, she suggested I try the raspberry granita. I told her I wasn't in a "granita mood" and she responded offensively. I ended up passing on the dessert there and going elsewhere for sweets. It's a great spot before a show at the Orpheum. The server was a little off-putting however she kept our water glasses full.Special Features:
- Before Les MizOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Pre-show dinner for 8, we were restricted to the $40 per person Prix-fixe menu, which ended up being a selection of 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, a side and desserts. Everything was delicious, with a special note for the scallion pancakes, pork ribs and the vermicelli stir-fry. We added some oysters on the half-shell and ended with coffee. Special note for the wonderful cocktails, a bargain at $10 each. The Oaxacan Firing Squad, Shanghai Buck (ginger!!!) and Bermuda Swizzle were particular favorites!Special Features:
- Heaven's Dog reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2012As a fan of Slant Door, I was excited to try Heaven's Dog. Aside from the food being so so.. we had the most abhorent service I have experienced in a long time. Our waiter tried to push us to order even though the place was not full. We then ordered small plates but wanted to keep our menus to look over a main dish option. The waiter said we could not keep them because people tend to spill things on them and they don't want to have to reprint too many of them. At first, we thought he was kidding but quickly found he was not. He said he would bring them back if we wanted anything more. This was horrible since they are paper and honestly, this practice prevented additional food purchases. Shameful.
- Very friendly staff. MixologistOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Very friendly staff. Mixologist rocked! BBQ ribs, shiitake glass noodle salad and sautéed peashoots highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great Food before show at OrpheumZingalDined on 8/4/2012We have dined at Heaven's Dog several times. The service is always attentive and the food great. We take guests with us as we are also going to the Orpheum after dinner. Our guest rave about the food and like the idea of sharing plates and the opportunity to taste a variety of dishes. We look forward to the next time we can have dinner there!Special Features:
- Good place -- interestingAJAJVIPDined on 7/31/2012Good place -- interesting menu. Good food. Great cocktails. Great for before theater at the Orpheum. Unfortunately they can only afford to give one person at a table the cocktail or dessert menu. Printing addtional copies is just asking too much. We are trying to understand.Special Features:
- Love this place. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/28/2012Love this place. Excellent meal in a cool venue. Off the beaten track and well off the San Fran tourist trail. Easy to hail a cab afterwards and close to the main traps in town.Special Features:
- They aim to pleaase and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/27/2012They aim to pleaase and they are experts at it!!! The food is fresh and every person that works at Heaven's Dog is a gem.Special Features:
- Reminded me why we love thisSallyCaliVIPDined on 7/21/2012Reminded me why we love this restaurant, great staff and even better savory & unusual food. Apps were amazing, calamari & crab soup, delicious wild mushroom entree. We will keep coming back, our favorite Phan!Special Features:
- Really great choices on menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2012Really great choices on menu at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- this is one of the great artisanHaroldVIPDined on 7/17/2012this is one of the great artisan cocktail venues in San Francisco. THe bar is an amazing experience and one can have dinner at the bar . All the potions are made fresh ingredients shaken with great mixology passion! The food is delicious and surprising . .Special Features:
- It was so nice to be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2012It was so nice to be seated and realize that I could actually have a conversation with my dining compatriots. The night just continued on in that vein. Our server, was very good, especially with the drinks orders by making helpful suggestions. She didn't crowd us, but didn't forget about us either. The food was as good as I expected it to be considering it is a Charles Phan restaurant. Don't miss out on the short ribs - unbelievably good. The only "disappointment" was the vegetarian pork belly. The dish came in a clam-shell shaped bun which was too large for the dish inside of it, thus, ruining any flavor of the main ingredients. Otherwise, very good all around.Special Features:
- We were severely delayed dueOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2012We were severely delayed due to heavy traffic. We called twice to advise them and they said no problem! When we arrived we only had twenty-five minutes to dine before making a theater curtain. They advised which dishes were quickest and were able to get us in and out on time. The food was excellent! We only wish we had more time to enjoy! My husband and daughter had dined here recently and had enjoyed it so much which is why we wanted to dine here again. We love the dog art! Thanks! We'll be back and will stay longer next time!Special Features:
- terrific cocktails and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2012terrific cocktails and great food...it's a particularly good place to have dinner before a show at the Orpheum. The parking is right in the building!Special Features:
- This was our 3rd visit toZingalDined on 7/7/2012This was our 3rd visit to Heaven's Dog and it didn't disappoint! Our guests were raving about the dishes we shared. We ordered 2 appetizers and 3 entrees along with 2 desserts to share. It was the perfect amount of food before walking around the block for our evening show. Besides the food and location, we chose Heaven's Dog for it's easy and free parking on Mission St., just across the street. All and all, it make for a wonderful evening before a show at the Orpheum. Looking forward to the next visit!Special Features:
- Awful experience...sadly gone downMarkPVIPDined on 7/5/2012Sadly had to do this review after a terrible experience. We have been to this restaurant many times and had alway been happy before...but tonight was totally different. Indifferent service (at best) and food that had way too much salt...dominating all other flavors. After flagging down the waiter (which took multiple tries) and telling him (Dominik) about it and handing him the plate, his response was "okay" and that was it...no apologies, and still on our bill! Too many good restaurants in this city to bother coming back.
- Bow Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2012Heaven's Dog is a wonderful restaurant. The drinks are fun and the food is terriffic. The ambiance is very interesting and vibrant. I would heartly recommend it!Special Features:
- Finally a Charles Pham restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2012Finally a Charles Pham restaurant where you can comfortably talk with dinner companions. Great, modern look to the place , food was good but overpriced. Happy Hour drinks are an excellent valueSpecial Features:
- At the bar order the FreedomOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/23/2012At the bar order the Freedom from Choice. Bartender's choice to concoct cocktail based on your favored hootch.Special Features:
- great food, i wish i couldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2012great food, i wish i could get the crab & corn soup for takeout every night!Special Features:
- Having been to Slanted DoorJTG78VIPDined on 6/15/2012Having been to Slanted Door and Wo Hing General Store, we were excited to try another offering from Charles Phan, however, we were very disappointed. The quality of food, preparation and seasoning all appeared to be off, and the mediocre service didn't help matters. We also found the deco with photographs and pictures of dogs to be off putting. I wouldn't go back to Heaven's Dog, although I still remain a fan of Slanted Door and Wo Hing.
- This is NOT heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2012For a place that hails from the same creator of the "Slanted Door", heaven's dog fails miserably in every aspect. The food choices are minimal (you either get the duck fried rice, or you don't get any fried rice at all), with the prices being absurd for what you end getting at the table-which eds up being typical Chinese fare (nothing more, nothing less). So for two appetizers( fried calamari- yummy, shanghai dumplings- had much better at Yank Sing) and two dishes ( one of which was the fried rice), the cost came to $78! 2 gingerales. No alcohol was ordered. The food timing was terrible. Despite the restaurat being 2/3 empty, each dish came 15-20 minutes after apart. The waiter was constantly MIA, and we paid our bill at the bar.
- Ver disappointed.DebCDined on 6/12/2012Our waiter was slow, rude and would not discuss the menu with us. We were a party of 8 so he seemed to know his tip was guaranteed and treated us accordingly. He didn't even point out that at a family style restaurant meant for sharing that we had ordered 3 scallops. The food was so-so for a Charles Phan. I had been wanting to go to this place for 3 years and couldn't be more disappointed. He was late w/ the check to so we had to race to the play even though we planned plenty of time.Special Features:
- If you want similar food andOpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 6/9/2012If you want similar food and less trouble getting a reservation than the Slanted Door, give it a try. Same owner and very interesting dishes. Not a great area so park as close as possible or take a cab. Not easy to spot from the street, but pretty comfortable once inside...Special Features:
- Pre-concert Asian fareamheyDined on 6/8/2012This is a great restaurant for the Symphony or Opera - and a change from the Hayes Street area. It has Asian fusion fare. The service was quick and the food was fine.Special Features:
- Great food and drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2012Great cocktails, great food and terrific personal service. In a city with tons of expensive bars and restaurants, this is a great mid-priced alternative, without any loss of quality. If I lived in SF, I would go here at least once a week.Special Features:
- Amazing cocktails! Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/6/2012Amazing cocktails! Good food! Worthy of return trips. In San Francisco, that's saying alot!Special Features:
- A late dinner is a delightmarsVIPDined on 6/5/2012A late dinner is a delight at Heaven's Dog. Not only is the noise level greatly diminished, but the service is impeccable. The salt and pepper squid is always good. The spicy won tons lived up to their name, but with a bit of wine and water, we cleaned the plate! We loved the spare ribs and the pork with corn entrees. The wine list is perfect for the food selection.Special Features:
- Eating at the bar is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/3/2012Eating at the bar is always a pleasure. The service is prompt and knowledgeable and lacks the pretension associated with some of its sister restaurants. The cocktails were finely crafted and the chef and staff took great care to accommodate a restrictive diet.Special Features: