Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market
289 East Fifth Street
Suite number 104
St. Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.heartlandrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6516993536x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Tuesday through Sunday 5:00PM to 9:30PM. Closed Monday.
Lounge: Tuesday through Thursday & Sunday 5:00PM to 9:30PM; Fri. & Sat 5:00PM to 10:30PM. Closed Monday.
Market: Tuesday through Sunday 9:00AM to 9:00PM. Closed Monday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lenny Russo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catered affairs in Heartland's private dining rooms and chef's tables are custom designed by Heartland Chef Lenny Russo to suit each client's budget and personal preferences and are based upon local and seasonally available ingredients.
Please inquire about details and availability HERE
- Entertainment: Heartland holds an entertainment license solely for those who wish to employ their own entertainment for private functions. Please inquire about details.
- Special Events: For information regarding Special Events please check our website HERE.
For information regarding banquet rooms please CLICK HERE.
- Cross Street: N Broadway St
- Public Transit: Bus lines run directly in front of the restaurant, and beginning in 2014 the neighborhood will be served by the new Central Corridor light rail transit line connecting St. Paul and Minneapolis beginning and ending at the Union Depot located one block south of Heartland at 214 East Fourth Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Unparalleled Parking provides valet service in front of our Fifth Street entrance on Friday and Saturday evenings as well as on evenings of special events. Please inquire about valet availability when making your reservation or booking a private party.
Parking is also available at multiple surface lots and parking ramps within 1-2 blocks of Heartland.
For directions CLICK HERE.
A word from Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market
Heartland Restaurant features North American Midwest Regional Cuisine that employs indigenous and cultivated ingredients from the American and Canadian Midwest to create a nightly changing menu that features two fixed price menus along with extensive a la carte selections. The sources for these ingredients are small family farms and artisan producers who practice traditional and sustainable agriculture. Chef Lenny Russo is a 2010, 2011 and 2012 James Beard Foundation Best Chef Midwest Nominee.Continued
To view our most recent dining room or bar menu CLICK HERE.
For more information about our Farm Direct Market CLICK HERE.
To view our most recent dining room or bar menu CLICK HERE.
For more information about our Farm Direct Market CLICK HERE.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)special occasion (81)romantic (46)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (37)good for groups (30)hot spot (8)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great As UsualNickDined on 10/21/2014Wonderful food as always, my wife and I ordered the Fauna and Flora three course meals and shared. We love this place and suggest you try the beets and brussel sprouts. I'm not a fan of either but WOW they are wonderful here along with everything else we have tried. If you haven't been here I suggest you give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodGranaryGearDined on 10/19/2014First, the food was excellent. I can't say enough good things about the food itself. However, the tables are packed too close together (the neighboring table was chiming in on our conversation). Also, there was an event that evening, but the service was a little slow, but not bad. Our waitress was very pleasant and apologetic for the wait. I would think that a restaurant should be aware of the events in town and staff accordingly for a rush. Bottom line is that the seating is not what I would like for a date night with my wife. However, I will be back for the food.Special Features:
- MehsandwichloverDined on 10/18/2014We were very excited about this place, because the menu looked amazing and we'd heard great things. But none of the food was executed very well. Even the before-dinner bread left something to be desired. And the service was slow and pretentious. All in all a bummer.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingKMJHDined on 10/17/2014Although we had enjoyed a prior experience with Heartland, this visit was rather disappointing. The "all-natural, all-organic, farm-to-table" concept delivers a minimal menu. Freshness and creative approaches are needed to make this work. Both were absent in our meal. The trout was overcooked into a leathery strip with no real taste. The cassoulet was too salty and quite mushy containing pieces of mystery meat. We dined at prime time on a Friday evening and the place was nearly empty. Perhaps others are finding the appeal slipping as well.
- Wouldn't go backCsfwDined on 10/17/2014Two of us had the pork chop. The waiter recommended "medium" so we went along with that. Both of ours were rare... Really rare on part of the chop... And tough! The steak knives were worthless! We considered sending them back but didn't want to wait for the chef to get it right while the rest of our party was eating. One of our group had the steak and it was excellent! Another had the cassoulet and thought it was really salty. For the prices we were really disappointed overall.
- foriegnlocalDined on 10/11/2014The duck breast was outstanding! Hard to say whether the cassoulet was, because it paled in comparison to the duck. Salads and side dishes were delicious too.Special Features:
- diningreviewDined on 10/11/2014Server was not knowledgeable. Food was average at best. We were really looking forward to our meal and were disappointed. Would not recommend.
- Favorite SpotMarge313Dined on 9/28/2014Heartland has been a favorite of my husband and mine's for years. The food is always exceptional. It is great for special occasions or even just a fun date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go thereDean45Dined on 9/27/2014The food and service was excellent. We like the choices for dinner, 3 course, small or large plate.Special Features:
- Place to visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014In this day of restaurants being so noisy it is hard to visit with others at your table we found this refreshing in that the 6 of us could have a nice conversation without yelling at one another. Not to mention that the food was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014The only reason I didn't give our server a 'very good' is because he was a little bit abrasive, but he was attentive and knew his menu well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deadweightVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food was fantastic. Wonderful flavorful local foods. Unusual combinations and quite tasty.Special Features:
- Awesome sauce!Marcdd2Dined on 9/13/2014Had a wonderful evening at Heartland. Service and food was top notch. Every food item was wonderful and when you consider everything is made there even down to the breads and cured meats, it is even more impressive. Even a chef sighting!!! Our entire group was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food and wineLoveGoodFoodDined on 9/12/2014My husband is a tough food critic and an excellent at-home chef--Heartland exceeded our expectations! The menu is a foodie's delight; surprising combinations and creative presentation, alive with complex flavors. The only complaint among (3) of us was my husband's--he did think the bison was a bit tough. The wine list had lots of surprises so it was fun to order a familiar grape with an unknown label. The Helioterra pinot blanc was excellent--complex and fun. We were wowed and wondered how we were going to top that meal. Staff were very attentive; restaurant was well-staffed. The interior of the space is refined, but in keeping with the rustic feel of the old warehouse it resides in.Special Features:
- Celebrates a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We had an excellent time at Heartland, great wine and our appetizers were terrific. We will be going back, the only reason why I rated their food good is that the temperatures on our beef were incorrect which resulted in a tough product.Special Features:
- FRESH!KJdinerDined on 9/7/2014I love the idea of this restaurant - fresh ingredients. You can even buy th ingredients right next door!Special Features:
- Best place in townvmparkermnDined on 9/2/2014Heartland is an amazing gem. The pastry chef has stolen my heart. All of our experiences at both the restaurant and the market side have been life changing! I would recommend this to anyone that appreciates good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBarbDined on 8/30/2014I love their use of local, seasonal ingredients, especially as it's across the street from the farmers market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencecdedbducksDined on 8/29/2014I went here with my boyfriend on a Friday night. We had reservations, but there were still open tables. Perhaps this was because it was during Labor Day weekend. We both ordered drinks and were served an amazing little amusement. We shared a bowl of very, very good tomato soup, which they split for us. We were also served rolls - you could tell they were handmade. I had a beautiful steak for dinner, and my boyfriend had a huge pork chop. Everything was delicious! We were unfortunately too full for dessert, but the selections sounded great. Definitely recommend for a date night or foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heartland Review Very DisappointedCjustissDined on 8/29/2014Went to heartland and was excited about the farm to table fresh concept and every changing menu. The atmosphere is absolutely stunning. The menu was impressive and the presentation was flawless, however, the food was absolutely awful. We got the meat sampler board and cheese board as an appetizer and everything was tastless how can meat and cheese be bad and lacking flavor? I ordered a salad with roasted pecans and a grilled peach as a garnish. There was nearly no lettuce, tons of pecans, and the grilled peach was nearly frozen so almost impossible to eat. For the main meal I got chicken because that is a go To item at any place. The chicken peices were so small & dry. Everyone left dissappointed and hungry after a $220 bill for 4.
- UnderwhelmedSusanVIPDined on 8/28/2014The ambiance is lovely. Our service was fair. The rolls were like hockey pucks. Either serve them with a knife or provide me with a new set if teeth! Using all my strength, I could hardly pull it apart. Menu choices were few. I would like more options.Special Features:
- Gifford PartyINvisitorsDined on 8/23/2014As first time visitors to the restaurant we were pleased with the overall look and feel of the interior. We were greeted and seated by a warm and friendly person. The food choices we made were good, though the trout was a little bland and overpowered by the wine we chose. The wine was delicious. We were most pleased to be served by a longtime friend, Phillippe Boeglin, new to the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great evening at Heartlandluv2dineDined on 8/21/2014When I have guest from out of town I always think first about taking them to Heartland - and it is always a spectacular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration of 30th birthdayeatwell5Dined on 8/17/2014My wish for a semi-private and quiet table for my son's 30th birthday dinner was easily granted. Phillip was gracious, helpful, efficient, and friendly throughout the evening. Cocktails, wine, and food were exceptional. So happy that Heartland is in St. Paul!!!Special Features:
- The best experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014My son's 40th birthday and our family came to celebrate and ran into our old friend Tony Parsons. He gave superb service and the food was exquisite. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was very good...jerstwDined on 8/17/2014Went to Heartland early evening on a Sunday prior to a performance at the Ordway. The decor and location are very nice, staff very professional and knowledgeable on the menu. The set menu was a great option and the house cocktails, at least the ones we tried, were great; strongly recommend the "Wisconsin Ice Tea". The location was very quiet when we were their but please keep in mind it was early on a rainy Sunday evening so I certainly assume the place it much more vibrant later in the evenings. My only reason for the 4 stars vs. 5 stars is I would like to experience it again during a peak / busy time. Will be back again.Special Features:
- BertDined on 8/16/2014I was troubled by no "real" martini glasses, chewy beef and a lackluster server. Really wanted to like this place, but a disappointment.
- Great Restaurant!WB28Dined on 8/16/2014Had a wonderful dinner with great food, wine and service.Special Features:
- AccommodatingFlemingMFDined on 8/14/2014For this review I will focus on another wonderful aspect of the restaurant: Willingness to accommodate food tolerance issues. So many places will snob you off, or worse say they will and then forget. These guys didn't make our diners feel bad for asking, and the chef threw together a sauce on the fly to make sure the meal was still special. It made all of us happy to be there. And the rest of us really loved it. My Rainbow Trout was killer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lammarchrVIPDined on 8/9/2014There were several pros and cons to Heartland. When we arrived I was surprised to be reminded of a warehouse rather than a restaurant. The ambiance wasn't great and the building smelled like a sewer or dirty basement which was hard to get over. The service was good and the food was delicious. I would not recommend the bread as it was VERY hard and chewy so was difficult to eat. The beef roast, the gnocchi, the chocolate pot du creme, and the lavender semifreddo were all excellent. Overall we might go back but there are other restaurants such as Meritage in St. Paul that have amazing food with a better ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionSmallPlateFanDined on 8/5/2014We ate at Heartland for our anniversary and the food was good. I was surprised that the menu was so short but understood that everything was fresh and seasonal ( but I would prefer Lucia's for a similar menu). My biggest complaint was that the Pot de Creme was just not that good ( and the cherry compote did not go well with the rhubarb flavor). The coffee in the French press was a nice touch but I prefer a dark roast and was not given a choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but safeHitMeTubeSockDined on 8/2/2014We visited Heartland recently and tried the fixed price menus. My lardo-wrapped rabbit loin was the star of the meal. Everything else was very good but very... safe. My poussin was tender and flavorful, but was served alongside some uninspired roasted red potatoes. Same with the flora courses: the caprese and gnocchi dishes were very good, but at the end of the night felt rather pedestrian. Desserts, too, were very good but fell short of my expectations. We had no bad bites, but there was also nothing that felt special. It was as if a talented chef had taken over our home menu. Other notes: The service was top notch, attentive but not intrusive. The wine and cocktail lists were also very well curated and offered something for everyone.Special Features:
- Great but not as good as beforeEricaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Heartland is wonderful but while dining there over the weekend, we noticed that chewing the dinner rolls was like trying to chew on a tire. They were really hard and and difficult to eat. I had a tasty chicken breast but I have to say that it was a little dry. That was unexpected.Special Features:
- Friendly and unique restaurantPatrickDined on 7/30/2014The atmosphere was friendly and classy; good for any sized group and not haughty. The tasting menu included a whitefish first course that was a light mix fish, broth and greens. Second was chicken withcooked greens and potatoes. Toped off with chocolate and rhubarb sauce could not have been better. The unique locally grown sustainable food concepts are a real plus and the food variety is healthy and tasty. I especially like that Chef Russo doesn't try to make the dishes too complex; they are simple, tasty and pleasant. All of the dishes were great. My associates had steak and were very pleased.Special Features:
- go here now & oftenALmplsDined on 7/26/2014I wish I could take everything home with me. (You can take some things from the store) Food, Wine, Service, Ambiance... Consume, Relish, Relax, Repeat Often! As a person who rarely goes to St.paul, Go Now!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little things....KillshotVIPDined on 7/23/2014...can become big things. Walking into the place one is immediately hit with a dank, moldy aroma that really needs to be addressed. Some good aromatherapy would do wonders, just like a smile from our female server who acted a little like she was moonlighting from her job as a drill instructor at a local boot camp. Other than that, the service was OK, the food reasonable, no gluten free bread, but did identify gluten free plates. Beer lovers should likely not look for more than 1-2 interesting taps if you are a hop head.
- Perfect!farmfoodfanDined on 7/20/2014We dined here on the first night of a weekend long stay in Minneapolis/St. Paul after getting married. The experience was simply perfect. The food was delicious, and the server was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. I have recommended this place to many based on previous dining experiences, and will continue to do so after they once again helped to make a special occasion even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentEntertainmanDined on 7/20/2014We use Heartland for Business Dinner's with different groups of discerning diners. Some times sales partners and/or customers on occasion. Once or twice a year we entertain our team there. They always do a terrific job and provide excellent food, service and wines. The menu is interesting and varies based on the season. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014Delicious food. We did the tasting menu. My husband did the meat tasting menu and I did the vegetarian tasting menu and they were both out of this world. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Fantastic!acuislaDined on 7/12/2014We love visiting Heartland, either just the two of us or with foodie friends. This visit was with friends. As always, the food was amazing, the service was perfection, and we had an absolutely fantastic time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.