Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market
289 East Fifth Street
Suite number 104
St. Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.heartlandrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (651) 699-3536
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Tuesday through Sunday 5:00PM to 9:30PM. Closed Monday.
Lounge: Tuesday through Thursday & Sunday 5:00PM to 9:30PM; Fri. & Sat 5:00PM to 10:30PM. Closed Monday.
Market: Tuesday through Sunday 9:00AM to 9:00PM. Closed Monday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lenny Russo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catered affairs in Heartland's private dining rooms and chef's tables are custom designed by Heartland Chef Lenny Russo to suit each client's budget and personal preferences and are based upon local and seasonally available ingredients.
Please inquire about details and availability HERE
- Entertainment: Heartland holds an entertainment license solely for those who wish to employ their own entertainment for private functions. Please inquire about details.
- Special Events: For information regarding Special Events please check our website HERE.
For information regarding banquet rooms please CLICK HERE.
- Cross Street: N Broadway St
- Public Transit: Bus lines run directly in front of the restaurant, and beginning in 2014 the neighborhood will be served by the new Central Corridor light rail transit line connecting St. Paul and Minneapolis beginning and ending at the Union Depot located one block south of Heartland at 214 East Fourth Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Unparalleled Parking provides valet service in front of our Fifth Street entrance on Friday and Saturday evenings as well as on evenings of special events. Please inquire about valet availability when making your reservation or booking a private party.
Parking is also available at multiple surface lots and parking ramps within 1-2 blocks of Heartland.
For directions CLICK HERE.
A word from Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market
Heartland Restaurant features North American Midwest Regional Cuisine that employs indigenous and cultivated ingredients from the American and Canadian Midwest to create a nightly changing menu that features two fixed price menus along with extensive a la carte selections. The sources for these ingredients are small family farms and artisan producers who practice traditional and sustainable agriculture. Chef Lenny Russo is a 2010, 2011 and 2012 James Beard Foundation Best Chef Midwest Nominee.Continued
To view our most recent dining room or bar menu CLICK HERE.
For more information about our Farm Direct Market CLICK HERE.
To view our most recent dining room or bar menu CLICK HERE.
For more information about our Farm Direct Market CLICK HERE.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market - Best Restaurants in St. Paul ›
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (98)special occasion (87)romantic (51)neighborhood gem (47)notable wine list (40)good for groups (31)hot spot (11)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great ServiceGoodFoodDined on 11/23/2014The service provided by Philip was superb, both on his knowledge of the menu and his attenitive to us. Ask for Philip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodplanteaterDined on 11/21/2014My husband and I come to this restaurant because I'm vegan. My husband noted it with our reservation. At first our server was confused by it . He then talked to the chef and all was well. It was a wonderful meal. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PopsDined on 11/21/2014Price fixe menu, soup arrived lukewarm. Main course again not hot! Hot food should be hot! Waiter tried to tell us they serve soup lukewarm:) certainly underwhelmed as we had looked forward to dining here. Food flavors so-so.
- Impeccable service and wonderful food!AndreDined on 11/20/2014We enjoyed the whole experience where every serving was timed to perfection including taste and presentation. The server was knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs help!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Interesting food, but served too quickly to enjoy the experience. I admit, we were 15 minutes late due to parking issues.Felt extremely rushed through three courses. When dining at this caliber of restaurant, they need to to better. Not totally satisfied with management response to concerns.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedAfoodiesincebirthVIPDined on 11/8/2014The sound level was perfect (although the restaurant was busy, we could hold a dinner conversation easily). But something/someone was off in the kitchen. We so wanted to like our dinner, but we were very disappointed. The vegetarian in our party had a difficult time finding enough to make a meal--that wasn't the case on previous visits. Although the textures of the entrees were good, the combinations of ingredients were strange and tasted unpleasant together... The roasted beets had potential, but the candied pecans that accompanied them were burned so they ruined the dish. The polenta was the only item we found to be tasty this time:-(
- Heartland is PhenomenalSaintPaulScott651Dined on 11/6/2014Loved it! Went there for a special birthday dinner and it couldn't have been better. Food was amazing, service was great, even through in a free glass of dessert wine for my birthday. Would highly recommend it to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014Big open converted warehouse with a lot of character. Our second visit here. The food was exceptional.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/5/2014We just moved to St. Paul and not not been to the Heartland Restaurant yet. Decided to try it. We have just found our new favorite restaurant. The food was excellent, the service was exceptional. Loved the ambiance. The menu changes every day but we had the free range chicken and the cassoulet. awesome. We also had a side of brussel sprouts. My wife is not a fan of brussel sprouts, but she loved these. Overall a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- AnniversaryManDined on 11/4/2014Nice place, easy parking, wonderful food, appropriate portions, amazing service. Not a place to go for quiet, intimate conversation because of poor acoustics, it was easy to hear other people talking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable new findAdventuresinDiningDined on 11/2/2014It was our first dining experience at Heartland and we'd heard good things about the restaurant. Service was great and food was good and there things on the menu we'd go back to try. My husband had the duck breast entree and it was outstanding. We also had roasted beets and roasted brussel sprouts and they were both to die for. We had an apple cake for dessert which was tasty but we'd have preferred it a little less "deconstructed." My husband is a bourbon afficiando and they have an avantegard selection of bourbon - fortunately it included 4 Roses Single Barrel. I enjoyed a glass of my favorite red table wine from Spain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedExploringDined on 11/1/2014The young lady serving us seemed distant and was hard to hear. With little space between the tables, she did not make an effort to connect with us. She was perfunctory in answering questions - difficult for first-timers. The bread rolls were like hockey pucks. The meal was not exceptional, though the ingredients sounded interesting.
- Didn't "wow" meOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2014We've been waiting for a very long time to try Heartland and finally had the opportunity this weekend. The service was fantastic, drinks and appetizers were quite tasty, but both of our main entrees were less than impressive. We were quite surprised and disappointed by this, esp after all of the positive feedback we've heard about Heartland.Special Features:
- Fantastic Birthday DinnerMikeGDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I had dinner for my Birthday at Heartland Restaurant. We have been there many times and we have never been disappointed. The service was fantastic and the food was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Heartland is one of the best restaurants in the Twin Cities. I've been there 3 times, twice within the last month. They have a small, well-thought-out menu which changes daily based upon what is available to them locally. Check their website for the daily menu. They combine ingredients in a sometimes surprising way. The flavors are complex. Portions are a reasonable size. Service is attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:
- ServiceLowertown06Dined on 10/25/2014About Third time here and tonight disappointing. Service very slow and not the friendly service have received in past. Food was just okay.Special Features:
- Great As UsualNickDined on 10/21/2014Wonderful food as always, my wife and I ordered the Fauna and Flora three course meals and shared. We love this place and suggest you try the beets and brussel sprouts. I'm not a fan of either but WOW they are wonderful here along with everything else we have tried. If you haven't been here I suggest you give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodGranaryGearVIPDined on 10/19/2014First, the food was excellent. I can't say enough good things about the food itself. However, the tables are packed too close together (the neighboring table was chiming in on our conversation). Also, there was an event that evening, but the service was a little slow, but not bad. Our waitress was very pleasant and apologetic for the wait. I would think that a restaurant should be aware of the events in town and staff accordingly for a rush. Bottom line is that the seating is not what I would like for a date night with my wife. However, I will be back for the food.Special Features:
- MehsandwichloverDined on 10/18/2014We were very excited about this place, because the menu looked amazing and we'd heard great things. But none of the food was executed very well. Even the before-dinner bread left something to be desired. And the service was slow and pretentious. All in all a bummer.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingKMJHDined on 10/17/2014Although we had enjoyed a prior experience with Heartland, this visit was rather disappointing. The "all-natural, all-organic, farm-to-table" concept delivers a minimal menu. Freshness and creative approaches are needed to make this work. Both were absent in our meal. The trout was overcooked into a leathery strip with no real taste. The cassoulet was too salty and quite mushy containing pieces of mystery meat. We dined at prime time on a Friday evening and the place was nearly empty. Perhaps others are finding the appeal slipping as well.
- Wouldn't go backCsfwDined on 10/17/2014Two of us had the pork chop. The waiter recommended "medium" so we went along with that. Both of ours were rare... Really rare on part of the chop... And tough! The steak knives were worthless! We considered sending them back but didn't want to wait for the chef to get it right while the rest of our party was eating. One of our group had the steak and it was excellent! Another had the cassoulet and thought it was really salty. For the prices we were really disappointed overall.
- foriegnlocalDined on 10/11/2014The duck breast was outstanding! Hard to say whether the cassoulet was, because it paled in comparison to the duck. Salads and side dishes were delicious too.Special Features:
- diningreviewDined on 10/11/2014Server was not knowledgeable. Food was average at best. We were really looking forward to our meal and were disappointed. Would not recommend.
- Favorite SpotMarge313Dined on 9/28/2014Heartland has been a favorite of my husband and mine's for years. The food is always exceptional. It is great for special occasions or even just a fun date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go thereDean45Dined on 9/27/2014The food and service was excellent. We like the choices for dinner, 3 course, small or large plate.Special Features:
- Place to visitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014In this day of restaurants being so noisy it is hard to visit with others at your table we found this refreshing in that the 6 of us could have a nice conversation without yelling at one another. Not to mention that the food was great!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014The only reason I didn't give our server a 'very good' is because he was a little bit abrasive, but he was attentive and knew his menu well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deadweightVIPDined on 9/14/2014Food was fantastic. Wonderful flavorful local foods. Unusual combinations and quite tasty.Special Features:
- Awesome sauce!Marcdd2Dined on 9/13/2014Had a wonderful evening at Heartland. Service and food was top notch. Every food item was wonderful and when you consider everything is made there even down to the breads and cured meats, it is even more impressive. Even a chef sighting!!! Our entire group was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food and wineLoveGoodFoodDined on 9/12/2014My husband is a tough food critic and an excellent at-home chef--Heartland exceeded our expectations! The menu is a foodie's delight; surprising combinations and creative presentation, alive with complex flavors. The only complaint among (3) of us was my husband's--he did think the bison was a bit tough. The wine list had lots of surprises so it was fun to order a familiar grape with an unknown label. The Helioterra pinot blanc was excellent--complex and fun. We were wowed and wondered how we were going to top that meal. Staff were very attentive; restaurant was well-staffed. The interior of the space is refined, but in keeping with the rustic feel of the old warehouse it resides in.Special Features:
- Celebrates a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014We had an excellent time at Heartland, great wine and our appetizers were terrific. We will be going back, the only reason why I rated their food good is that the temperatures on our beef were incorrect which resulted in a tough product.Special Features:
- FRESH!KJdinerDined on 9/7/2014I love the idea of this restaurant - fresh ingredients. You can even buy th ingredients right next door!Special Features:
- Best place in townvmparkermnDined on 9/2/2014Heartland is an amazing gem. The pastry chef has stolen my heart. All of our experiences at both the restaurant and the market side have been life changing! I would recommend this to anyone that appreciates good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousBarbDined on 8/30/2014I love their use of local, seasonal ingredients, especially as it's across the street from the farmers market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencecdedbducksDined on 8/29/2014I went here with my boyfriend on a Friday night. We had reservations, but there were still open tables. Perhaps this was because it was during Labor Day weekend. We both ordered drinks and were served an amazing little amusement. We shared a bowl of very, very good tomato soup, which they split for us. We were also served rolls - you could tell they were handmade. I had a beautiful steak for dinner, and my boyfriend had a huge pork chop. Everything was delicious! We were unfortunately too full for dessert, but the selections sounded great. Definitely recommend for a date night or foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heartland Review Very DisappointedCjustissDined on 8/29/2014Went to heartland and was excited about the farm to table fresh concept and every changing menu. The atmosphere is absolutely stunning. The menu was impressive and the presentation was flawless, however, the food was absolutely awful. We got the meat sampler board and cheese board as an appetizer and everything was tastless how can meat and cheese be bad and lacking flavor? I ordered a salad with roasted pecans and a grilled peach as a garnish. There was nearly no lettuce, tons of pecans, and the grilled peach was nearly frozen so almost impossible to eat. For the main meal I got chicken because that is a go To item at any place. The chicken peices were so small & dry. Everyone left dissappointed and hungry after a $220 bill for 4.
- UnderwhelmedSusanVIPDined on 8/28/2014The ambiance is lovely. Our service was fair. The rolls were like hockey pucks. Either serve them with a knife or provide me with a new set if teeth! Using all my strength, I could hardly pull it apart. Menu choices were few. I would like more options.Special Features:
- Gifford PartyINvisitorsDined on 8/23/2014As first time visitors to the restaurant we were pleased with the overall look and feel of the interior. We were greeted and seated by a warm and friendly person. The food choices we made were good, though the trout was a little bland and overpowered by the wine we chose. The wine was delicious. We were most pleased to be served by a longtime friend, Phillippe Boeglin, new to the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great evening at Heartlandluv2dineDined on 8/21/2014When I have guest from out of town I always think first about taking them to Heartland - and it is always a spectacular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration of 30th birthdayeatwell5Dined on 8/17/2014My wish for a semi-private and quiet table for my son's 30th birthday dinner was easily granted. Phillip was gracious, helpful, efficient, and friendly throughout the evening. Cocktails, wine, and food were exceptional. So happy that Heartland is in St. Paul!!!Special Features: