289 East Fifth Street
Suite number 104
St. Paul, MN 55101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.heartlandrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6516993536
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Tuesday through Sunday 5:00PM to 9:30PM. Closed Monday.
Lounge: Tuesday through Thursday & Sunday 5:00PM to 9:30PM; Fri. & Sat 5:00PM to 10:30PM. Closed Monday.
Market: Tuesday through Sunday 9:00AM to 9:00PM. Closed Monday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lenny Russo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catered affairs in Heartland's private dining rooms and chef's tables are custom designed by Heartland Chef Lenny Russo to suit each client's budget and personal preferences and are based upon local and seasonally available ingredients.
Please inquire about details and availability HERE
- Entertainment: Heartland holds an entertainment license solely for those who wish to employ their own entertainment for private functions. Please inquire about details.
- Special Events: For information regarding Special Events please check our website HERE.
For information regarding banquet rooms please CLICK HERE.
- Cross Street: N Broadway St
- Public Transit: Bus lines run directly in front of the restaurant, and beginning in 2014 the neighborhood will be served by the new Central Corridor light rail transit line connecting St. Paul and Minneapolis beginning and ending at the Union Depot located one block south of Heartland at 214 East Fourth Street.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details:
Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market will continue to be conveniently accessible during the construction of the Lowertown phase of the Central Corridor Light Rail Project.
Ample parking is available in public surface lots and parking ramps conveniently located within one to two blocks of the restaurant. Valet parking is provided by Tradition Valet. For directions CLICK HERE.
To view our most recent dining room or bar menu CLICK HERE.
For more information about our Farm Direct Market CLICK HERE.
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
- FabulousBarbDined on 8/30/2014I love their use of local, seasonal ingredients, especially as it's across the street from the farmers market.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heartland Review Very DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Went to heartland and was excited about the farm to table fresh concept and every changing menu. The atmosphere is absolutely stunning. The menu was impressive and the presentation was flawless, however, the food was absolutely awful. We got the meat sampler board and cheese board as an appetizer and everything was tastless how can meat and cheese be bad and lacking flavor? I ordered a salad with roasted pecans and a grilled peach as a garnish. There was nearly no lettuce, tons of pecans, and the grilled peach was nearly frozen so almost impossible to eat. For the main meal I got chicken because that is a go To item at any place. The chicken peices were so small & dry. Everyone left dissappointed and hungry after a $220 bill for 4.
- UnderwhelmedSusanDined on 8/28/2014The ambiance is lovely. Our service was fair. The rolls were like hockey pucks. Either serve them with a knife or provide me with a new set if teeth! Using all my strength, I could hardly pull it apart. Menu choices were few. I would like more options.Special Features:
- Gifford PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014As first time visitors to the restaurant we were pleased with the overall look and feel of the interior. We were greeted and seated by a warm and friendly person. The food choices we made were good, though the trout was a little bland and overpowered by the wine we chose. The wine was delicious. We were most pleased to be served by a longtime friend, Phillippe Boeglin, new to the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great evening at Heartlandluv2dineDined on 8/21/2014When I have guest from out of town I always think first about taking them to Heartland - and it is always a spectacular evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration of 30th birthdayeatwell5Dined on 8/17/2014My wish for a semi-private and quiet table for my son's 30th birthday dinner was easily granted. Phillip was gracious, helpful, efficient, and friendly throughout the evening. Cocktails, wine, and food were exceptional. So happy that Heartland is in St. Paul!!!Special Features:
- The best experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2014My son's 40th birthday and our family came to celebrate and ran into our old friend Tony Parsons. He gave superb service and the food was exquisite. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time was very good...jerstwDined on 8/17/2014Went to Heartland early evening on a Sunday prior to a performance at the Ordway. The decor and location are very nice, staff very professional and knowledgeable on the menu. The set menu was a great option and the house cocktails, at least the ones we tried, were great; strongly recommend the "Wisconsin Ice Tea". The location was very quiet when we were their but please keep in mind it was early on a rainy Sunday evening so I certainly assume the place it much more vibrant later in the evenings. My only reason for the 4 stars vs. 5 stars is I would like to experience it again during a peak / busy time. Will be back again.Special Features:
- BertDined on 8/16/2014I was troubled by no "real" martini glasses, chewy beef and a lackluster server. Really wanted to like this place, but a disappointment.
- Great Restaurant!WB28Dined on 8/16/2014Had a wonderful dinner with great food, wine and service.Special Features:
- AccommodatingFlemingMFDined on 8/14/2014For this review I will focus on another wonderful aspect of the restaurant: Willingness to accommodate food tolerance issues. So many places will snob you off, or worse say they will and then forget. These guys didn't make our diners feel bad for asking, and the chef threw together a sauce on the fly to make sure the meal was still special. It made all of us happy to be there. And the rest of us really loved it. My Rainbow Trout was killer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lammarchrVIPDined on 8/9/2014There were several pros and cons to Heartland. When we arrived I was surprised to be reminded of a warehouse rather than a restaurant. The ambiance wasn't great and the building smelled like a sewer or dirty basement which was hard to get over. The service was good and the food was delicious. I would not recommend the bread as it was VERY hard and chewy so was difficult to eat. The beef roast, the gnocchi, the chocolate pot du creme, and the lavender semifreddo were all excellent. Overall we might go back but there are other restaurants such as Meritage in St. Paul that have amazing food with a better ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionSmallPlateFanDined on 8/5/2014We ate at Heartland for our anniversary and the food was good. I was surprised that the menu was so short but understood that everything was fresh and seasonal ( but I would prefer Lucia's for a similar menu). My biggest complaint was that the Pot de Creme was just not that good ( and the cherry compote did not go well with the rhubarb flavor). The coffee in the French press was a nice touch but I prefer a dark roast and was not given a choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but safeHitMeTubeSockDined on 8/2/2014We visited Heartland recently and tried the fixed price menus. My lardo-wrapped rabbit loin was the star of the meal. Everything else was very good but very... safe. My poussin was tender and flavorful, but was served alongside some uninspired roasted red potatoes. Same with the flora courses: the caprese and gnocchi dishes were very good, but at the end of the night felt rather pedestrian. Desserts, too, were very good but fell short of my expectations. We had no bad bites, but there was also nothing that felt special. It was as if a talented chef had taken over our home menu. Other notes: The service was top notch, attentive but not intrusive. The wine and cocktail lists were also very well curated and offered something for everyone.Special Features:
- Great but not as good as beforeEricaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Heartland is wonderful but while dining there over the weekend, we noticed that chewing the dinner rolls was like trying to chew on a tire. They were really hard and and difficult to eat. I had a tasty chicken breast but I have to say that it was a little dry. That was unexpected.Special Features:
- Friendly and unique restaurantPatrickDined on 7/30/2014The atmosphere was friendly and classy; good for any sized group and not haughty. The tasting menu included a whitefish first course that was a light mix fish, broth and greens. Second was chicken withcooked greens and potatoes. Toped off with chocolate and rhubarb sauce could not have been better. The unique locally grown sustainable food concepts are a real plus and the food variety is healthy and tasty. I especially like that Chef Russo doesn't try to make the dishes too complex; they are simple, tasty and pleasant. All of the dishes were great. My associates had steak and were very pleased.Special Features:
- go here now & oftenALmplsDined on 7/26/2014I wish I could take everything home with me. (You can take some things from the store) Food, Wine, Service, Ambiance... Consume, Relish, Relax, Repeat Often! As a person who rarely goes to St.paul, Go Now!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little things....KillshotVIPDined on 7/23/2014...can become big things. Walking into the place one is immediately hit with a dank, moldy aroma that really needs to be addressed. Some good aromatherapy would do wonders, just like a smile from our female server who acted a little like she was moonlighting from her job as a drill instructor at a local boot camp. Other than that, the service was OK, the food reasonable, no gluten free bread, but did identify gluten free plates. Beer lovers should likely not look for more than 1-2 interesting taps if you are a hop head.
- Perfect!farmfoodfanDined on 7/20/2014We dined here on the first night of a weekend long stay in Minneapolis/St. Paul after getting married. The experience was simply perfect. The food was delicious, and the server was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. I have recommended this place to many based on previous dining experiences, and will continue to do so after they once again helped to make a special occasion even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentEntertainmanDined on 7/20/2014We use Heartland for Business Dinner's with different groups of discerning diners. Some times sales partners and/or customers on occasion. Once or twice a year we entertain our team there. They always do a terrific job and provide excellent food, service and wines. The menu is interesting and varies based on the season. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/12/2014Delicious food. We did the tasting menu. My husband did the meat tasting menu and I did the vegetarian tasting menu and they were both out of this world. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Fantastic!acuislaDined on 7/12/2014We love visiting Heartland, either just the two of us or with foodie friends. This visit was with friends. As always, the food was amazing, the service was perfection, and we had an absolutely fantastic time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2014Food is always excellent. The restaurant space is interesting and unique. But everything about the operation of the restaurant and deli and the delivery and presentation of the food seems to reflect the vision and meticulous attention to detail of the chef and owner. Kudos to him ! The menu contains little of the exotic, mostly locally sourced and familiar choices. But every item is well conceived and well executed. A great choice for an excellent meal every time.Special Features:
- Heartland 6/28/14MelskiDined on 6/28/2014The pork chop was amazing, the vegetables were well flavored and not overcooked. My husband's bison steak was very undercooked, and they never asked him how he wanted it cooked so you'd expect at least medium but it was quite rare. All in all, the food was pretty good, but we spent $100 on food alone (no drinks) and still left hungry. There wasn't much else that interested us on the menu even though we each ordered a large plate. We stopped and got snacks on our way home. I've had better dinners, I probably wouldn't go here again if we're going to go out for a nice dinner. I've had better food for similar prices.Special Features:
- Amazing!MarianneInMinnesotaDined on 6/22/2014Heartland definitely lived up to our high expectations! We dined here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and couldn't have been more pleased with the level of service we received, not to mention the delicious food we ordered... everything was fabulous! I can totally see why the chef was nominated for a James Beard Award. We will be back again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and serviceplymouthdinerDined on 6/22/2014We loved the fact that all food is local, and everything we tried was top notch. The dishes were interesting, and all delicious. Loved the cold asparagus soup and the perch. The pace of dining was perfect for a quiet, special event. We relaxed and enjoyed our meal in leisure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerwhitechrisf1Dined on 6/21/2014I took my wife here as a surprise. Food was excellent. Come to enjoy the food, you won't get massive quantity here, but the taste's you'll expereince make it worth the trip. Menu is limited by what the farmers bring in the door each day. I wouldn't bring my kids here as it is a dining experience, not a dash and run. Relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated HeartlandJaniceCDined on 6/19/2014We don’t dine out very often at expensive restaurants so it’s a few years since we went to Heartland. Nothing has changed: still the same excellent service and incredibly good food. We had an enjoyable dinner celebrating our son’s birthday. The amuse bouche was a gorgeous bite of radish chip similar to a taco. We should probably celebrate more events and more often at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary SpecialFrenchman1Dined on 6/19/2014Heartland treated us right! From the greeting and mention of our Anniversary by the Matre'de, to the lovely, tasty and unique prefix menu items, (not always easy- we're vegan), to the desert wine, our visit to Heartland topped off a beautiful evening! After dinner, we wandered around Lowertown St. Paul, and explored the newly renovated Union Depot which is about two blocks away. The restaurant is in a location we don't often get to, and that made our evening that much more unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodalphabetDined on 6/14/2014Although the food was good, my expectations were much higher. I was looking forward to very tasty and over-the-top. The parmesean chicken was okay but could have had a cheesier flavor. My husband's fish was not very small and he left still hungry.Special Features:
- 4.5 star food, great place!WinePleaseDined on 6/14/2014The tasting menu and savory dishes here are amazing--great complex flavors. I'm taking half a point off for dessert because the desserts are nothing special--they need more creativity here. Service was great; the waiter was professional without being overbearing. Overall, probably one of Minneapolis' best as the food here is exciting and local and fresh. Comparable to Restaurant Alma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingGreatFoodDined on 6/14/2014The kitchen and waitstaff took excellent care of us, which I especially appreciate due to my numerous food allergies: gluten, dairy, egg, beef. Despite those restrictions, everything I ate, from the amuse bouche to the main course, was so exquisite it elevated my mood (no exaggeration). My spouse and I both ordered pork chops but they switched out the mashed potatoes for me and replaced them with addictively-tasty roasted potatoes. Delicious. Our server took time to explain the menu and identify which dishes I could safely eat, and checked in with us from time to time, with being obtrusive. The hostess was friendly, other servers came over to greet us and occasionally assist. They made us, including our little kids (7 & 9), feel welcome. <3Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TCfoodieVIPDined on 6/12/2014Fabulous food ! Top notch servers! Even the owner- chef, who was engaged in a conversation with two gentlemen, stopped to thank us for coming to Heartland Restaurant. That caps off a wonderful food experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service/TimingMVW1Dined on 6/11/2014The timing of the food arriving at our table was very poor. We waited an extremely long time between courses and tables seated after us were long gone by the time we left. The chairs are too hard to spend 3 hours sitting. Not clear if this is a kitchen or service issue. There appeared to be only one server on which is a lot to ask of one person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceNoDebtLetsEatVIPDined on 6/7/2014Fabulous dinner! This was our 2nd time here and the experience may have been even better this time. I had the amazing NY Strip and my wife had the venison appetizer and a side of polenta. Everything was fantastic. I'll be back!Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerdowntownerDined on 5/31/2014Food excellent. Had the prix fixe which was a good bargain. Excellent wine by the glass. Good cocktails and service but far TOO noisy for my likes. Noise level would make me think twice before returning. Was there for a "romantic anniversary dinner", and found it hard to communicate with my significant other without leaning in and almost shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularthenodeDined on 5/30/2014Phenomenal food, great service, lovely ambiance. Truly a gem of the twin cities.Special Features:
- DisappointingwanttoenjoyDined on 5/28/2014Picked the restaurant based on the chef's James Beard nomination. Expected a treat but got the mundane. Barely flavored venison rillettes with the "fat" pooled unpleasantly on top instead of combined with the meat, rhubarb tarte with just a couple of strings of rhubarb in a heavy crust with an overpowering shot of truffle oil.
- Great!JasonDined on 5/24/2014Everything was awesome. I had the Angus Strip Steak with shell peas, hop shoots, ricotta mashed potatoes, and spring onion sauce. The steak was cooked to perfection, the peas with hop shoots were amazing, the mashed potatoes were a great texture, and the sauce was a perfect complement. My wife had the chicken breast with asparagus, chick pea puree, and baby kale-picked ramp salad. The chicken may have been the best we've ever had at a restaurant. Everything else was good, but the chicken was fantastic. We had the cheese sampler as a starter, which was an excellent arrangement of local cheeses. We also had the honey yogurt panna cotta, and it was a perfect dessert. All in all a very memorable meal!Special Features:
- Loved It!HeartlandDined on 5/20/2014we were searching for somewhere new to go celebrate our wedding anniversary and came across Heartland Restaurant & Farm Direct Market, love the concept of local, fresh food and thought we'd give it a try and so glad we did. Started with the service, wish I remembered the waiter's name he was great, very attentive and answered every question we had and had some fantastic recommendations. The food, in short it was fresh and delicious! Amazing food!!! From the appetizer to the dessert it was incredible! What a gem, we can't wait to go back and try it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.