403 East 12 Street
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://restauranthearth.com/
- Phone: (646) 602-1300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday thru Thursday, 6:00pm-10:00pm; Friday & Saturday 6:00pm-11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am-2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Marco Canora
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Summer Tuesdays feature “A Dinner to Honor a Pig,” a three-course pig roast menu for $48.00 with an optional wine/beer pairing for an additional $22.00. A la carte options are also available. For more information, please visit http://www.restauranthearth.com/Hearth_Pig2011.html
A word from Hearth
Hearth is everything the word implies...a warm, comfortable restaurant with hospitality as its goal. Chef Marco Canora's cuisine employs seasonal, locally-sourced ingredients prepared with an Italian influence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hearth reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)neighborhood gem (78)notable wine list (73)special occasion (57)romantic (51)good for groups (37)great for brunch (21)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Top notch high end but relaxed dining experienceMikeyBDined on 11/19/2014We enjoyed the 7 course tasting menu. Everything was fabulous. The service was friendly and attentive and not stuffy. the wine list is on the pricy side and although it appears large some pages have just one wine listed. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearth as good as everNycseattleVIPDined on 11/15/2014Not trendy not new but food delicious, service professional, a restaurant that doesn't disappoint We hadn't been in years and it was as good as ever including those famous meatballsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Great little restaurant in the East Village. Recommend all of the appetizers and side plates. Not as impressed with my main dish, but I think that was because I was so amazed with my salad and gnocchi! Super fun wine/cider/bear/bourbon list. Best of all, cider doughnuts; so glad doughnuts are in...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent everytimeAllenVIPDined on 11/13/2014I live in the neighborhood,just across the street so Hearth is in my 'heavy rotation'. The food is always excellent, they use all locale purveyors. Excellent wine-list and sommelier. Staff is super friendly and many have been there for years. Chef/Restaurateur Marco Canora is super friendly, passionate and knowledgeable. Sitting at the kitchen bar is a real treat. Like dinner and a show. Favs: Cresta De Gallo, Cider Doughnuts, Brunch's French DipSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- people working here are really into their work!GmanDined on 11/13/2014Great place. Very nice people. Recommend sitting at bar alongside kitchen. A bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveGoodlordDined on 11/10/2014Hearth is one of my favorite spots. The wine list is fantastic, and the food is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceSPfeffDined on 11/9/2014We came to Hearth after a friend gave us a gift certificate here. It was incredible. The service was fantastic from all staff. The food was fresh & delicious. The cider & proseco was fabulous & the dessert, absolutely stunning! We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastiest pear salad EVER!!thefirstpancakeDined on 11/9/2014The restaurant was recommended to me by a friend in the nyc food business. She knows which chefs are doing great things. Hearth was up there on her list. My date was an old friend who I hadn't seen in a while. We ordered several items -- the pear and walnut salad was so tasty we had to ask the waitress to ask the chef about ingredients -- we want to try to recreate it!! The dessert of apple cider donuts was also a highlight. The wait staff is careful and knows when to interrupt conversation between two friends who hadn't seen each other in a while. The atmosphere is just lovely and makes you feel warm in what can be a COLD City. (The chef even sent a complimentary tasting of pumpkin soup).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeously sumptuousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The Hearth was definitely a treat meal for us, as it boasts a rather expensive menu. The food, however, is totally worth what we paid, as was the service and personalized treatment. Our first week living in NYC, the waitress had them write "Welcome to NYC" in icing on our dessert plate! She was extremely knowledgable of their HUGE wine list, and brought us some excellent choices, and allowed us to sample before pouring. This may be a regular "special occasion" dinner spot for us in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Small PortionsAlexAboutTownDined on 11/7/2014We did 4 appetizers, 4 Entrees, and 3 sides and split for 4 of us, and there was not a single miss in everything we ordered. The quail appetizer and the sformata in particular were outstanding. I think the lamb was our favorite entree, but the cod with roasted chickpeas was also extraordinary. This is a great kitchen that really knows how to balance flavors. From dessert the ricotta cheesecake is the most interesting... with some kind of fennel and berry jam, little chunks of graham strewn on the plate, and a raspberry granita. It was a wow. Only issue is that when the server offered us dessert we all agreed we should do another couple of entrees first because we were all pretty hungry. Unfortunately the kitchen was already closed.Special Features:
- Dinner for twoBonsyDined on 11/7/2014Great service and food, visiting from Australia and really loved the place. Our waiter Laura was really helpful and even recommended a great beer and a couple of cocktails. Would go back again when we are next in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulEviemelVIPDined on 11/3/2014We did the tasting menu with wine pairing. Every dish was better than the previous one! The wine/beer pairing they chose was exquisite and different. The pork ragu pasta was my favoriye. The apple doughnut paired with Apple ice wine for dessert was out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2014reliable and tasty and easy to have conversation. good wine. good food. Comfy and easy to have a relaxed conversation in.
- Sunday GravyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/2/2014Went for the Sunday Gravy dinner. The food was great and excellent wine pairings.Special Features:
- Cozy and RomanticHL1989Dined on 11/1/2014Delicious, romantic, cozy - perfect spot for a date night when the weather wasn't cooperating. Veal and ricotta meatballs were delicious!Special Features:
- Great service!SarabsideDined on 10/30/2014Laura took such great care of us! It was my birthday celebration and her impeccable service and great personality made our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite Tasting MenuNatsDined on 10/25/2014My boyfriend and I came for a special occasion (our 3rd anniversary) and were dazzled by the excellent cocktails and incredible tasting menu. So much thought, creativity and outstanding ingredients went into every moment of the meal. Exceptional service and presentation as well. We'll come back often, I'm sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tasting MenuwiscomptonDined on 10/25/2014Classic food in a trendy setting, the tasting menu proved to be a wonderful way to sample a number of the amazing items Hearth has to offer. The food is delicious, albeit a bit on the heavy side, which made 7 courses a bit more ambitious of a task than we had anticipated. No matter, though, as the experience was well worth it.Special Features:
- What a pork chop!NatalieDined on 10/24/2014I had a delicious pork chop that was sliced when served. It was cooked with mushrooms, paper thin sliced garlic, potatoes and capers! Our appetizer was a variety of roasted squash with ricotta and pumpkin seeds - also delicious! This was a great autumn meal. We will be back next time we're in New York.Special Features:
- Wows for the food and wine...ElmerFoodVIPDined on 10/23/2014Food was very good...unique, seasonal and prepared to perfection. Bravo! The service was less than precise. The seats at the pass are designed for a show and conversation with kitchen which should inspire. The chef was communicative (but needed to be coaxed into talking about the food...why else wod you seat at the hot pass?). The remainder of the kitchen staff failed to engage. The waitstaff was a bit too folksy and lost some of the precision that a great menu and preparation like this should inspire and require.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!foodfanaticDined on 10/21/2014I am a fan of simple food, impeccably prepared and Hearth does that better than most. Every morsel was delicious and each ingredient elevated through simple preparation. The grilled black bass was pricey at $68, but perfect for 2. It was the sweetest, juiciest and easiest to filet fish I've ever had. The accompanying roasted potatoes were crisp yet creamy and full of flavor. I highly recommend the ginger apple crisp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love.GoodlordDined on 10/19/2014I love hearth. Love love love love love love love love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food tasting was spectacularpbnyVIPDined on 10/18/2014If you can get the tables by the kitchen take them! The food tasting was creative and fun. The chef and staff know their food and were happy to describe how each meal was prepared. I was impressed by the knowledge of the staff. You must try the veal ricotta meatballs over polenta. They also have quite of an extensive hard cider list which is my favorite type of drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal, ambiance and servicePilagardenDined on 10/18/2014We sat at a large round table in the center with friends from London. Party of 7. Booked through Open Table as I don't know the Gramercy Park neighborhood well and nobody had any recommendations except for more formal places. Now we do. This place has Brooklyn / Notting Hill vibe but could just as easily have been in the Berkshires. Delicious food and not giant portions. Menu not pretentious but broad in spite of the one page. Will come back just with my husband for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food & serviceAnnieBonDined on 10/14/2014A special occasion dinner; we had the sformato and beet salad as starters; then I had the veal meatballs with polenta (lovely deep flavors, the meatball was so light & fluffy); and my friend the cod on black cabbage, great. We shared a bottle of Reisling, probably the best Reisling wine list in the city. For dessert, oh my!! we shared the pear with caramel, candied pecans & gelato. I am not a true dessert person, but I could not stop eating it. The service is brisk and formal but not intrusive. The only criticism is the noise level, suppose this is nowadays par for the course in NYC restaurants. I don't think it is the fault of the restaurant as much as diners in New York are not as low key or even as polite as they once were.Special Features:
- slow service, small portionsmunzyDined on 10/13/2014Great ambiance. Nice lighting. Friendly staff. But, waitress seemed pretty spacey. It took nearly 1.5 hours to get apps. I got the lamb main course. I was shocked by the small portion. I'd only come here if you're wealthy or someone else is paying. Oh, and if you have a few hours.Special Features:
- Hearty HearthVinousDined on 10/13/2014Very good (upmarket) bistro level food served in generous portions and reasonably priced. The star of the show here is the broad and well thought out wine list. Staff are efficient and knowledgeable, if a little distant. I would certainly eat here regularly if I lived in the area. My 3 star rating equates to 'very good' as our experience was certainly above 'good' (2 stars) but was neither 'great' (4 stars) or WOW (5 stars). A must try for wine lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too skimpyruthie66Dined on 10/12/2014We were at Hearth for brunch. The quality of the food was very good. However, portions were quite small and maybe if one ordered apps as well as dessert you would have felt fulfilled. My friend ordered zucchini park. and I ordered the frittata. His portion was extremely small and mine was a little larger and more filling.Special Features:
- Excellent!sogoodDined on 10/5/2014Hearth was an amazing dining experience on all accounts. The food and wine list were top notch, the service was friendly and helpful, and the entire space was welcoming and warm. Would definitely go again and recommend it to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GorgeousClaireyDined on 10/4/2014We were over on vacation from Ireland it was our favorite meal in nyc very memorable great food interesting wine and service was top notch. We loved our experience here .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone DownhillexnyerDined on 10/1/2014Over the years I have had several fantastic meals at Hearth. I hadn't been there in over a year and needed a place to entertain a client so I booked a table. We ordered the tasting menu. It was perhaps one of the most disappointing meals I have had in a long time. Long waits for courses and while one or two of the courses was ok, most of them were quite bad. Way over-salted. Strange, unappealing presentations (pumpkin pieces in a bowl with a swirl of cream-cheese/ricotta? around the rim that was awkward to eat and almost inedible), the meat course at the end was awful. My client was polite and said he enjoyed it but admitted later that he did not. The wine was good so there's that. Everyone has bad nights, but something has changed here.
- EV ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/1/2014Hearth has air of a neighborhood secret and truly excellent food. A real charmer.Special Features:
- impressive.nycfoodisloveVIPDined on 9/27/2014its a rarity that restaurants in new york stay open for so long and there usually is a very good reason for that. pete wells touched on this in his NYT review in 2013 and even with his reviews, he was not kind enough to the execution, consistency and flow of the meal we had at hearth this past saturday night. maybe it was because it was autumn, and the fresh crops just made the menu as good as its been, but having eaten in new york for over a decade, i can honestly say, that this meal was one of the best (if not the best) meal i've ever had in new york city. every bite was perfect and we were just short of literally licking every dish clean.Special Features:
- All That We Hoped For And Then SomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2014On a trip to NYC, I visited this restaurant after reading Keith Law's positive review (meadowparty.com). My wife and I could not have been happier. We had the tasting menu at the chef's counter. The food was excellent, and the price was good (considering the quality of the ingredients and preparation). That would be enough for a great trip, but I was floored not just by the service of the four employees that we came into contact with but with their genuine enthusiasm for their restaurant and its offerings.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Food is great. Have eaten here several times. however, this past visit was the first time the food was slow from the kitchen and the service was poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canora & Riesling=heavenFasitaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Marco Canora's food is justly renowned. He can cook! The seemingly simple rustic dishes always have the complexity of flavor that can only be achieved with endless prep cooks and vast, inspired labor. You can't do this at home. Thank g-d you don't have to, Hearth is available without an excessive of planning. Best of all, if you love Riesling or wine in general there are always outstanding bottles open and available by the glass perfect for the couple where only one imbibes.Special Features:
- I love HearthMiyagi73Dined on 9/14/2014I brought my kids and my parents and they made a perfect dinner for all of us. Steak Fish Pasta were all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm up at the HearthCoasthuggerDined on 9/14/2014Very good new American food with local ingredients, enthusiastic and knowledgeable service AND you can actually have a conversation there. A top level New York restaurant that you can probably get in to on short notice and sufficiently cutting edge so that you can feel daring without having to ask how to eat what you are being served. It's the reliable standby for my New York friends and the go-to place to impress my out-of-town foodie friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints ...dordDined on 9/13/2014Great food, great wine, great service, never a disappointment, seasonal menu with local produce. Value for money ..Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I went to Hearth in January and loved it. We returned in September with some friends. The food is fantastic. The wait staff was attentive. We were seated in the back so it was quiet. I wish I lived around the corner! If I did, I would be here all the time.Special Features: