Hearsay Gastro Lounge
218 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hearsay Gastro Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hearsayhouston.com/
- Phone: 7132258079x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - :00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edwin Chanas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Hearsay Gastro Lounge offers limited special catering services ranging from lunches to off-site dinner events. Our staff is eager to work with you to design and create the perfect experience. Please call us to place your catering order. Minimum order required. Delivery fees apply.
- Entertainment: The restaurant features live music every Wednesday for Ladies night and during Sunday Brunch.
- Special Events: On most holidays and celebratory days, we have lunch, dinner, cocktail, or beer specials or features. Please call us for more information or visit http://hearsayhouston.com.
- Cross Street: Congress
- Public Transit: METRO Rail Stops nearby: UH-Downtown, Preston, Main Street Square
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking options include front door valet service after 6pm, street parking and downtown parking lots. Please obey street signs and all local, state, and federal traffic laws. We are not responsible if you violate city parking rules. Valet is not associated with Hearsay Gastro Lounge and any disputes related to valet should be taken up with their company.
A word from Hearsay Gastro Lounge
Hearsay Gastro Lounge is conveniently located in Houston’s Historical Market Square on the corner of Travis and Congress. Housed in the 2nd oldest building in Houston, this Chic Antique venue is home to this one of a kind restaurant and lounge serving up delicious American inspired sandwiches, salads and entrees. We feature an extensive wine list, numerous beers on draft and premium liquors with a focus on Scotch Whiskey. Specializing in Handcrafted Specialty Cocktails, Hearsay Gastro Lounge is a destination for both food and cocktail enthusiasts'. Open late night and serving up small and large appetizers, Hearsay is a great place for a late night cocktail and bites.Continued
Come see if the rumors are true!
Sip, Savor + Shake.
Come see if the rumors are true!
Sip, Savor + Shake.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Hearsay Gastro Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hearsay Gastro Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (97)fit for foodies (90)romantic (77)neighborhood gem (74)special occasion (73)hot spot (66)great for brunch (61)great for lunch (59)late-night find (57)good for groups (48)notable wine list (19)scenic view (14)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- cluelessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014The staff at Heresay seems oblivious to the customer, particularly at the bar. The food and coffee were served cold, although in fairness, our waiter for our dinner upstairs was quite apologetic - something seems to be going on internally with the moral at this place. I would not recommend it, unless you are up for a late night drink and do not mind waiting at least 20 minutes to get it.Special Features:
- Matt101Dined on 8/25/2014Excellent food and service. Got us out for our 8pm concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeagreenDined on 8/24/2014Music great service great. Food was lacking. For hrw this was not impressive. Greasy over cooked eggs needed to be blotted by a napkin. Go for drinks and music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server Rob was amazing!mw0812Dined on 8/24/2014We spent our anniversary here on a Sunday for brunch and we fell in love with Hearsay! A+ for sure! Our server was Rob and he definitely paid attention to detail. After brunch he even brought out a cake and ice cream to celebrate our anniversary. It was the highlight of our weekend! We will definitely be going back and bringing friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick stop in HoustonmonmarDined on 8/23/2014We had a long layover and chose to eat here and stay at Magnolia Hotel. Both experiences were wonderful. I had a beet salad, which was delicious, and a Hearsay burger with Parmesan fries, also tasty. My bf had a steak that was perfectly cut and cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressed with HRWTWallDined on 8/22/2014Went there for HRW and we ordered the crab cakes to start but they were not the normal lump crabmeat I was use to. These were like fishstick version. The service was slow and when we ordered a replacement meal though better, still had to add salt and pepper because lacked seasoning. Not a good overall experience for me. Perhaps better at bar food and happy hour. Not a good HRW week pick for me.
- Amazing food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We went to Hearsay on a Thirsday night and had the HRW menu, the food was fantastic. The only downside, the service was a little slow, and the noise level was really highI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2014Went with an office group for HRW lunch and all had a good experience. Hearsay burger is one of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HOU Restaurant WeekRyn1234Dined on 8/20/2014My girlfriend and I went during HOU restaurant week. The food was alright(nothing to write home about), portions were kind of small, the tables a literally on top of one another, so don't go if you're waiting a private intimate dinner. Also, our waitress came to our table 2-3 times tops leaving us without drinks for most of our meal.
- Love this place!StaceyMDined on 8/20/2014We are regulars here and came for HRW. It was as always an awesome experience fantastic food and fabulous serviceSpecial Features:
- Can't wait to go back!DCterpDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I ate at Hearsay for the first time this past Sunday, looking to try out their Restaurant Week Menu. It wasn't very busy on a Sunday evening which we really appreciated, so the service was timely and friendly. The battered asparagus was a little unimpressive, but everything else was great. Crab cakes were full of lump crab meat, seafood risotto was spectacular, and steak was cooked to perfection. Try the bread pudding dessert, you can't go wrong. Hearsay was recommended by some friends because we are new to town, and we can't wait to go back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The roasted poblano soup was incredible and I could eat it everyday! My children loved the Kobe hot dog ( " the best hot dog I've ever had") and the Hearsay burger. I thought the mushroom risotto was salty but I still ate it all, it was delicious. The portion sizes were perfect and the prize surprisingly reasonable considering its location. It has definitely been added to our family list of "places we frequent".Special Features:
- Cute brunch spottwillyVIPDined on 8/17/2014I am no stranger to Hearsay. So it was an easy choice for an intimate Sunday brunch, The venue is small and he cocktails are a bit expensive for brunch. Otherwise both food and cocktails were very tasty. I had chicken and waffles. Other gusts had a great omlette. If you are looking for low-key, hip and tasty you wont be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mehnew2houstonDined on 8/17/2014I went here for restaurant week because I heard rave reviews about the place. The service was so so, but that may be due to the restaurant week crowd. Everyone's food arrived at staggering times (5-10 minutes between each plate). The Bloody Mary's were terrible in my opinion. I love a spicy Bloody Mary, but this had so much horseradish it tasted like cocktail sauce. The food was alright, nothing spectacular; and the music was so loud (we were on the second floor) having a conversation was worthless because you couldn't hear the person across from you. I'll probably be back for drinks, but don't plan on dining again.Special Features:
- Friendly BrunchHoustonImplantDined on 8/16/2014Met a friend for a last minute brunch and loved the atmosphere, the energy, and the food was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Mixed cocktail selection was great. Food was good. Service good. Only down sided is the seating. Very old chairs and tables that should be replaced / repaired.Special Features:
- Great Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I went to check out the HRW menu and was conflicted with what to order. Everything looked amazing and the atmosphere is nice and cozy. Next time I'll make sure to taste the cocktails. The hostess even remembered my name as I left! Just make sure to keep your reservation, they call if you're running late which is a great courtesy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown surprisemapmakerDined on 8/14/2014Waitstaff was great. Food inventive and delicious. Steaks were tender, cocktails imaginative. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was very 'ok'RandyDined on 8/14/2014We went for Houston Restaurant Week lunch. The place has that smell that dive bars have "mildew mixed w/ dried up liquor". The food wasn't bad, but wasn't exceptional in any way. I'm used to better from restaurants that participate in HRW. I had a "hand crafted cocktail" as well. One of the rum drinks. It was $10, came in a lowball glass, and was mostly juice. I expect more of a 'liquor' drink for $10 lowball drink at a bar.
- Quirky but it worksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Hearsay is a unique place. On the one hand it has a semi-formal feel with nicely dressed downtown folks sipping wine and noshing on mni crab cakes. And on the other it's incredibly casual with no tablecloths and a one page, front sided paper menu. Which ended up being a blessing, as no one in my group felt overwhelmed by too many delicious options. We made reservations, originally for four, and had to call several times to bump it up to seven. The staff were courteous, friendly and made us feel welcome, even when Kendal sat down with us to ask if we were close to finishing, as she had another reservation that needed our table. :) There is only one drawback to the place and that is the music: it is much too loud for a venue that small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnremarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was Luke warming the quality is what one would expect from corporate banquet function at a hotel.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD & SERVICE!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014This place is a little on the small side, but worth it. Been here for dinner and brunch it is amazing! Will be returning. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceWoodlandsMoDined on 8/9/2014We had an awesome time at Hearsay. The food was great, mimosa was very good, and the guitar guy was excellent!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceJulieDined on 8/8/2014We came here for Houston Restaurant Week for the first time and LOVED it. The ambiance is beautiful and the food was delicious. We made reservations, but did have to wait over an hour because the people sitting at our table before hand took a long time to leave, however, the manager came over and offered to buy us two appetizers. We just sat at the bar and had AMAZING drinks while we waited, so we did not mind at all. It's a great place to go with friends or a date night for sure. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- NiceHotTomaleDined on 8/7/2014Nice area and food was excellent. A little odd that our waiter informed is that he had an 8.45pm reservation for our table and needed us to leave. How rude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QueenDined on 8/7/2014Couldn't enjoy the place because the waiter took along time to take our order so by the time the food came out we had enough time to eat and our reservations was up because they reserved the table for another group I ordered dessert but I couldn't eat it there I had to get it to go because I was getting forced from the table.
- Loved Gastro LoungeGrnEyedRedHdDined on 8/6/2014Quaint with great food and atmosphere. Staff was friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating to our little group. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not BadMarkDined on 8/5/2014Had lunch here as part of Houston Restaurant week. Food was fine, service just ok. Waitress had to return to the table to verify our order (why not write it down?) and then brought the wrong food to the table anyway. Quickly corrected however. Had a salad and a burger - very tasty. Overall the experience was fine but I don't feel compelled to go back any time soon.Special Features:
- Hearsay for Houston Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014I went to hearsay for their Monday night steak night (the filet and shrimp was amazing) and my friend ordered the three course meal for Houston Restaurant week. Both of us were happy w the meal, and their speciality cocktails are fabulous too! The ambience is cool and reminds me of some New York lounges in the city. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service was lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014I was very excited to try Hearsay. The space and decor is awesome! The upstairs area (and from what I can remember, the entire restaurant), is small and all the tables are right on top of each other. This was a special dinner and we were sitting so close to the next table that we couldn't have a private conversation at all. All we heard was their conversation. Very awkward. There was only one server upstairs and no bartender, so service was very slow. She was very nice and apologetic. The food was great and is what brought the review up to 3 stars. With better service and a more private dining experience, this place would easily get 4 or 4.5 stars. I'm glad we went, but would hold off to go again.Special Features:
- Great food & lovely place!eatsomedrinkmoreDined on 8/3/2014Had a great meal before a show this past Sunday. The food was great, the service was pretty good. I believe the waitress was a little overwhelmed with her section but overall pretty good. We're easy to please! I would definitely recommend this restaurant if looking for a nice, interesting place to eat downtown!Special Features:
- Date NightMelissaVIPDined on 8/3/2014We came to Hearsay for dinner before a concert. We gave ourselves 3 hours to take it easy and not be rushed. The place was beautiful and the staff was nice, however, the service was so incredible slow. The table next to us said they were going to walk on their tab because they kept waiting for their bill and the table on the other side complained to management about the slow service. We kept to ourselves knowing we weren't in a rush but for a Sunday they should've had more than one waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KatfoodDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I chose this spot for our late night date. Great food and a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- A Fun NightKatyFoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014We went for HRW and had a great meal. The service was good and we enjoyed the historic part of downtown. The one down side was our table was really close to next one, a common problem due to the way the tables have to be placed to accommodate the decorative planters. A women at the table next to us was a whiny, complainer - not fun. When our food came her table kicked into a conversation about the ebola outbreak in Africa. Really? Hopefully you have better luck with your nearby dining companions than we did.Special Features:
- Great AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014This was my first time here and I loved it! We had a reservation but was able to be seated early on a Friday night. The service was great, food came quickly, and everything we are was delicious! Probably one of the best filets I've ever had. The tempura lobster was amazing! The Candy Bar dessert was decadent, very smooth. I loved the ambience, it felt very romantic, chic without being pretentious. The crowd was a good mix of young & older. Overall I loved my experience and will recommend Hearsay to everyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/1/2014We went for restaurant Weeks and the food was decent, although not outstanding. The service was very good; our waitress was attentive, nice and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New ReviewerFirstTimeDinerDined on 7/27/2014I enjoyed Sunday Brunch at this eatery. The actual restaurant was full, but not overly packed, which made the place lively and manageable. The service was fantastic and the staff courteous. I had the lemon-ricotta pancakes. Excellent! My wife had the lumb crab omelet, which was also tasty. We split our dishes to enjoy a bit of both. All in all, I would definitely return to try their other dishes.Special Features:
- Fabulous Brunch!FabPlannerDined on 7/27/2014Had a fabulous Sunday Brunch with some lady pals! Bottomless Mimosas. ..slow roasted pork belly. ...omg delicious. I usually love their dinner menu....If you can get in. I was pleasantly surprised their brunch was equally as good! !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchJennVIPDined on 7/27/2014The brunch was really good and they also have bottomless mimosas!Special Features:
- Amazinggmce11Dined on 7/26/2014Super cute and the staff is extremely knowledgeable and helpful! Food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.