Hearsay Gastro Lounge
218 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hearsay Gastro Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hearsayhouston.com/
- Phone: 7132258079x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - :00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edwin Chanas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Hearsay Gastro Lounge offers limited special catering services ranging from lunches to off-site dinner events. Our staff is eager to work with you to design and create the perfect experience. Please call us to place your catering order. Minimum order required. Delivery fees apply.
- Entertainment: The restaurant features live music every Wednesday for Ladies night and during Sunday Brunch.
- Special Events: On most holidays and celebratory days, we have lunch, dinner, cocktail, or beer specials or features. Please call us for more information or visit http://hearsayhouston.com.
- Cross Street: Congress
- Public Transit: METRO Rail Stops nearby: UH-Downtown, Preston, Main Street Square
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking options include front door valet service after 6pm, street parking and downtown parking lots. Please obey street signs and all local, state, and federal traffic laws. We are not responsible if you violate city parking rules. Valet is not associated with Hearsay Gastro Lounge and any disputes related to valet should be taken up with their company.
A word from Hearsay Gastro Lounge
Hearsay Gastro Lounge is conveniently located in Houston’s Historical Market Square on the corner of Travis and Congress. Housed in the 2nd oldest building in Houston, this Chic Antique venue is home to this one of a kind restaurant and lounge serving up delicious American inspired sandwiches, salads and entrees. We feature an extensive wine list, numerous beers on draft and premium liquors with a focus on Scotch Whiskey. Specializing in Handcrafted Specialty Cocktails, Hearsay Gastro Lounge is a destination for both food and cocktail enthusiasts'. Open late night and serving up small and large appetizers, Hearsay is a great place for a late night cocktail and bites.Continued
Come see if the rumors are true!
Sip, Savor + Shake.
Come see if the rumors are true!
Sip, Savor + Shake.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Hearsay Gastro Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hearsay Gastro Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (94)fit for foodies (91)romantic (78)hot spot (71)neighborhood gem (70)special occasion (69)great for brunch (60)great for lunch (56)late-night find (55)good for groups (50)notable wine list (18)scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Great Place/Food - few shortcomingsGR8FoodDined on 9/14/2014Great place with great food. Seems to be understaffed or something the 2 times I have been there (both times - table of 2). When the servers were available, they were great, friendly and quite helpful. The food is pretty unique and quite good. Goat cheese salad and hot dog were OUT OF THIS WORLD! Brunch -Lemon Ricotta pancakes with scrambled eggs and Potato Hash (instead of bacon) was absolutely awesome! I definitely WON the brunch war! Outstanding... everything was so perfectly seasoned that it didn't need additional salt or pepper, and the pancakes were SO GOOD that I barely used any syrup. Go here. For late night or brunch! seriously. Just do it. Order Lemon Ricotta pancakes 4 brunch and choose something cool if you go for dinner.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I had the kobe dog and will definitely be going back some more to get it. The cocktails were very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good place to eatMattDined on 9/13/2014The food and cocktails were on point. I had the corn soup, calamari, and the kobe dog. Only shortcoming was the bun was way better than the hot dog itself. Also, the chocolate layer cake was incredible.Special Features:
- Hearsay was great findAyeluvfoodDined on 9/12/2014We picked Hearsay before a comedy show. They made a note and got us in & out in time for the show. There was 6 of us & all of us enjoyed their good. Definitely would go backSpecial Features:
- Lovely spot @ Downtown Market SqrNataliaDined on 9/11/2014I had been 2-3 times before. I like the ambiance, i always find interesting how the lightning is set up. My guests perhaps found it dark at the beginning (2nd floor I think it tends to be darker) but their eyes got adjusted. Still they liked the food (Fish tacos and stuffed chicken) and drinks. I like the bar variety and this time I had the Chicken Marsala, it was very good taste and size. The servers were very friendly and helpful. Overall very good dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2014Hearsay has become our downtown go-to spot when we're looking for a really good burger. The Hearsay Burger is great, but if you want over-the-top, go with The Byrd [adds a fried egg, jalapenos and comes with mac & cheese instead of fries]. Decent enough wines, though place is more noted for its cocktail program.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantice hideawayrlattDined on 9/11/2014A great place to wow a date. Cool historical building downtown Houston on the square.Special Features:
- HankDined on 9/10/2014Nice bar scene in up and coming historic end of downtown. three of us had the snapper and it was well prepared and tasty. I was not a big fan of their ceviche, in particular the way it is served on a flat plate without chips. Nice atmosphere and great service.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereNicoleDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the bar, enjoyed the dining. Food was really good. One person in our party ordered the fish and it was unfortunately very salty. The stuffed chicken and steak were really good. Fried asparagus was great as an appetizer.Special Features:
- I love this place....FashionistaDined on 9/4/2014This is a great place to have brunch or dinner. Great food and awesome customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best burger Ive had downtownMrsWilliamTaylorDined on 9/1/2014We come here when we want to eat upscale bar food like burgers and nachos after 9 or 10p. I really enjoy thier burgers . Super delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFoodiesDined on 9/1/2014I highly recommend this place to all foodies out there! Everything I've had at this restaurant has been delicious. Make sure to order the mac and cheese, you won't regret it.Special Features:
- Loved everything but the seatingEmmyADined on 9/1/2014We can for Houston Restaurant Week only to find that Hearsay's finished one day early. While disappointed we were still able to order some of the items we'd been looking for. The waitress was fantastic, made suggestions and was very friendly. The ONLY complaint we had was the booth seating along the wall. Privacy is lacking and the gentleman at the table next to us was constantly moving shaking the whole booth which was quite irritating.Special Features:
- Missed it by a day!HappyBirthdayGirlDined on 9/1/2014We came here for HRestaurantweeks - but it turns out it finished the evening before. The only downside of our visit was that our server told us this rather forcefully - little more friendliness and grace might have been good. She also did not tell us it was their 'Steak night' - I had to tell her that. So we went with that offer instead and the food was fine. I think the best part here is the interior - the bar - and the cocktail menu. We had a fun evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceorgutierrezDined on 9/1/2014We enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere and tasty food offerings. The Sticky Toffee Pudding was out of this world.Special Features:
- ExcellentErinDined on 8/31/2014We love this place! The food and drinks are amazing! I highly recommend it. Do no go without reservations unless you hope to just sit at the bar. And even with reservations, you often have to wait.Special Features:
- cluelessunimpressedDined on 8/31/2014The staff at Heresay seems oblivious to the customer, particularly at the bar. The food and coffee were served cold, although in fairness, our waiter for our dinner upstairs was quite apologetic - something seems to be going on internally with the moral at this place. I would not recommend it, unless you are up for a late night drink and do not mind waiting at least 20 minutes to get it.Special Features:
- Dawnlm912Dined on 8/28/2014Visited for restaurant week and the food was delicious. Good sized portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Matt101Dined on 8/25/2014Excellent food and service. Got us out for our 8pm concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeagreenDined on 8/24/2014Music great service great. Food was lacking. For hrw this was not impressive. Greasy over cooked eggs needed to be blotted by a napkin. Go for drinks and music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server Rob was amazing!mw0812Dined on 8/24/2014We spent our anniversary here on a Sunday for brunch and we fell in love with Hearsay! A+ for sure! Our server was Rob and he definitely paid attention to detail. After brunch he even brought out a cake and ice cream to celebrate our anniversary. It was the highlight of our weekend! We will definitely be going back and bringing friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick stop in HoustonmonmarDined on 8/23/2014We had a long layover and chose to eat here and stay at Magnolia Hotel. Both experiences were wonderful. I had a beet salad, which was delicious, and a Hearsay burger with Parmesan fries, also tasty. My bf had a steak that was perfectly cut and cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressed with HRWTWallDined on 8/22/2014Went there for HRW and we ordered the crab cakes to start but they were not the normal lump crabmeat I was use to. These were like fishstick version. The service was slow and when we ordered a replacement meal though better, still had to add salt and pepper because lacked seasoning. Not a good overall experience for me. Perhaps better at bar food and happy hour. Not a good HRW week pick for me.
- Amazing food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We went to Hearsay on a Thirsday night and had the HRW menu, the food was fantastic. The only downside, the service was a little slow, and the noise level was really highI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/21/2014Went with an office group for HRW lunch and all had a good experience. Hearsay burger is one of the best in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HOU Restaurant WeekRyn1234Dined on 8/20/2014My girlfriend and I went during HOU restaurant week. The food was alright(nothing to write home about), portions were kind of small, the tables a literally on top of one another, so don't go if you're waiting a private intimate dinner. Also, our waitress came to our table 2-3 times tops leaving us without drinks for most of our meal.
- Love this place!StaceyMDined on 8/20/2014We are regulars here and came for HRW. It was as always an awesome experience fantastic food and fabulous serviceSpecial Features:
- Can't wait to go back!DCterpDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I ate at Hearsay for the first time this past Sunday, looking to try out their Restaurant Week Menu. It wasn't very busy on a Sunday evening which we really appreciated, so the service was timely and friendly. The battered asparagus was a little unimpressive, but everything else was great. Crab cakes were full of lump crab meat, seafood risotto was spectacular, and steak was cooked to perfection. Try the bread pudding dessert, you can't go wrong. Hearsay was recommended by some friends because we are new to town, and we can't wait to go back!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The roasted poblano soup was incredible and I could eat it everyday! My children loved the Kobe hot dog ( " the best hot dog I've ever had") and the Hearsay burger. I thought the mushroom risotto was salty but I still ate it all, it was delicious. The portion sizes were perfect and the prize surprisingly reasonable considering its location. It has definitely been added to our family list of "places we frequent".Special Features:
- Cute brunch spottwillyVIPDined on 8/17/2014I am no stranger to Hearsay. So it was an easy choice for an intimate Sunday brunch, The venue is small and he cocktails are a bit expensive for brunch. Otherwise both food and cocktails were very tasty. I had chicken and waffles. Other gusts had a great omlette. If you are looking for low-key, hip and tasty you wont be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mehnew2houstonDined on 8/17/2014I went here for restaurant week because I heard rave reviews about the place. The service was so so, but that may be due to the restaurant week crowd. Everyone's food arrived at staggering times (5-10 minutes between each plate). The Bloody Mary's were terrible in my opinion. I love a spicy Bloody Mary, but this had so much horseradish it tasted like cocktail sauce. The food was alright, nothing spectacular; and the music was so loud (we were on the second floor) having a conversation was worthless because you couldn't hear the person across from you. I'll probably be back for drinks, but don't plan on dining again.Special Features:
- Friendly BrunchHoustonImplantDined on 8/16/2014Met a friend for a last minute brunch and loved the atmosphere, the energy, and the food was divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Mixed cocktail selection was great. Food was good. Service good. Only down sided is the seating. Very old chairs and tables that should be replaced / repaired.Special Features:
- Great Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014I went to check out the HRW menu and was conflicted with what to order. Everything looked amazing and the atmosphere is nice and cozy. Next time I'll make sure to taste the cocktails. The hostess even remembered my name as I left! Just make sure to keep your reservation, they call if you're running late which is a great courtesy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown surprisemapmakerDined on 8/14/2014Waitstaff was great. Food inventive and delicious. Steaks were tender, cocktails imaginative. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was very 'ok'RandyDined on 8/14/2014We went for Houston Restaurant Week lunch. The place has that smell that dive bars have "mildew mixed w/ dried up liquor". The food wasn't bad, but wasn't exceptional in any way. I'm used to better from restaurants that participate in HRW. I had a "hand crafted cocktail" as well. One of the rum drinks. It was $10, came in a lowball glass, and was mostly juice. I expect more of a 'liquor' drink for $10 lowball drink at a bar.
- Quirky but it worksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Hearsay is a unique place. On the one hand it has a semi-formal feel with nicely dressed downtown folks sipping wine and noshing on mni crab cakes. And on the other it's incredibly casual with no tablecloths and a one page, front sided paper menu. Which ended up being a blessing, as no one in my group felt overwhelmed by too many delicious options. We made reservations, originally for four, and had to call several times to bump it up to seven. The staff were courteous, friendly and made us feel welcome, even when Kendal sat down with us to ask if we were close to finishing, as she had another reservation that needed our table. :) There is only one drawback to the place and that is the music: it is much too loud for a venue that small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnremarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was Luke warming the quality is what one would expect from corporate banquet function at a hotel.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD & SERVICE!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014This place is a little on the small side, but worth it. Been here for dinner and brunch it is amazing! Will be returning. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great ExperienceWoodlandsMoDined on 8/9/2014We had an awesome time at Hearsay. The food was great, mimosa was very good, and the guitar guy was excellent!Special Features: