Hearsay Gastro Lounge
218 Travis Street
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Hearsay Gastro Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hearsayhouston.com/
- Phone: (713) 225-8079
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - :00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Edwin Chanas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Hearsay Gastro Lounge offers limited special catering services ranging from lunches to off-site dinner events. Our staff is eager to work with you to design and create the perfect experience. Please call us to place your catering order. Minimum order required. Delivery fees apply.
- Entertainment: The restaurant features live music every Wednesday for Ladies night and during Sunday Brunch.
- Special Events: On most holidays and celebratory days, we have lunch, dinner, cocktail, or beer specials or features. Please call us for more information or visit http://hearsayhouston.com.
- Cross Street: Congress
- Public Transit: METRO Rail Stops nearby: UH-Downtown, Preston, Main Street Square
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Parking options include front door valet service after 6pm, street parking and downtown parking lots. Please obey street signs and all local, state, and federal traffic laws. We are not responsible if you violate city parking rules. Valet is not associated with Hearsay Gastro Lounge and any disputes related to valet should be taken up with their company.
A word from Hearsay Gastro Lounge
Hearsay Gastro Lounge is conveniently located in Houston’s Historical Market Square on the corner of Travis and Congress. Housed in the 2nd oldest building in Houston, this Chic Antique venue is home to this one of a kind restaurant and lounge serving up delicious American inspired sandwiches, salads and entrees. We feature an extensive wine list, numerous beers on draft and premium liquors with a focus on Scotch Whiskey. Specializing in Handcrafted Specialty Cocktails, Hearsay Gastro Lounge is a destination for both food and cocktail enthusiasts'. Open late night and serving up small and large appetizers, Hearsay is a great place for a late night cocktail and bites.Continued
Come see if the rumors are true!
Sip, Savor + Shake.
Come see if the rumors are true!
Sip, Savor + Shake.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Hearsay Gastro Lounge - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Hearsay Gastro Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)vibrant bar scene (77)romantic (76)hot spot (74)special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (58)great for brunch (57)great for lunch (50)late-night find (40)good for groups (39)notable wine list (17)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- A keeper!ChickadeeDined on 11/21/2014Delicious food in a quaint environment. Nice craft drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitShantellanaVIPDined on 11/16/2014Loved this cute, little place. The inside is so nice, love the exposed brick! Food is great, french toast was a favorite. Only negative thing is it took our server a very long time to even acknowledge us. We were very quickly seated by the hostess(we had brunch reservations). It took 11 mins (yes we timed) for a server to bring us our menus -didn't even ask what we wanted to drink, just dropped menus off. Once she returned we asked if we could go sit outside instead. After moving outside a new waiter introduced himself & saved the day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Houston GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014My family requests Hearsay for theatre nights and special occasions. New York-type experience in the heart of downtown Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, suspect foodHubbaDined on 11/9/2014Stay away from the omelets, food is less than spectacular hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun night with friendsHoustonfoodiDined on 11/8/2014We had a great dining experience here. Our waitress was very patient and offered several tips on what to order. The only negative thing was my filet that I ordered medium, was very well done. Everything else we ordered was phenomenal, including the tempura lobster, the mushroom risotto, the snapper, the appetizer platter and the pork chop. I would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Food and DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the food and drinks. Just had to do a bit of waiting to get served even though the place wasn't very full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, food, and seeviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014Really enjoyed my dining experience here. Brought a girl on a first date and it was a perfect spot that I'd recommend. Food was great, service was great, and the atmosphere seemed just right. It's a trendy, hip, place but not overcrowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigeaterDined on 11/3/2014The dining room is kind of small. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HearsayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014Over-eager, over-sharing waiter, mediocre food, and miserably long waits just to get a (poorly mixed) cocktail. Nice location and a great, lively space, but I won't be going back.Special Features:
- JaymeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014Very nice place. Had a reservation however they did not honor our request to sit upstairs, and they didn't try to work anything out with us or fix the issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2014Hearsay used to be our favorite spot for Sunday brunch downtown with its variety of food offerings and the fact that it opens at 10 instead of 11 like most spots. However, this past Sunday, even though its doors may have opened at 10, the restaurant wasn't really ready to go until almost 10:30. With only 3 other tables occupied when we arrived, it took until 10:29 to get the first glass of our bottomless mimosas. It looked as if the bartender hadn't even started his prep work until they opened. What exactly is the prep required for mimosas? Open bottle of sparkling, pour into carafe, open orange juice, add to carafe, mix and serve. An irritating way to start our day. The waffle and burger were very good; the service not so much. Ugh.Special Features:
- Dark, Dark......MarticoDined on 10/25/2014Booked for Friday night dinner here and arrived to find it jumping - apparently as usual. Were going to have a glass of bubbles pre-dinner but they did not have any cold enough..... Were taken to a table in the small 'restaurant' area upstairs at the back which was probably OK but it was almost too dark to see, and only just enough candlelight to read the menu! We split a good and generous salad (brought on two plates); main courses (from a limited but interesting menu) were good and well-presented. Thought we'd end with an espresso, but they do not offer it: our server directed us to a great place across the street. A buzzy place making great use of an older building. Would certainly go back - if they up the lighting just a littleSpecial Features:
- too much hypekhpglenviewDined on 10/25/2014heard so much about this place but the place did not live up to expectations. nothing special about the food. I have seen this menu before other places. seated on the 2nd floor . had to climb 2 flights of dark stairway. this place is dark. good if you are just coming for drinks but barely light to see the menu. The waiter was okay but he had 1 large table plus ours and had to climb the stairs for each course and even tho there was a bar upstairs they didn't have all the ingredients so the wait was long for both food and drinks.
- This is just HearsayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014I recently dined here with my wife for date night. The food was excellent and they certainly have some interesting and unique options. I had the duck burrito and it was outstanding. The only disappointing part of the experience was the seating situation. There are a limited number of private tables. We were literally 3 feet from another couple right next to us and it really felt like I was being rude if I didn't talk to them. So, next time I will be sure to request a private table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hearsay = amazing dinner experienceShellyFMDined on 10/17/2014Any with my wife for our one year anniversary and I couldn't have been happier. I the food was amazing and I loved the atmosphere of Hearsay the brick walls and low lights really made it romantic. And again the food... Just wow, we had the Tuscan pasta and Lamb Chops and even with with bread pudding for dessert (my first) and I would go back just for the bread pudding again,. And the drinks were great. We sat upstairs by the bar and the bartender was great loved watching her mix drinks very professional. Overall wonderful experience and can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The atmosphere was awesome! The dim lighting and décor were just want I wanted for a night celebrating my one year anniversary with my Husband. The server was kind, attentive and helpful when I asked her about the menu. I plan to visit again the next time I am in Houston.Special Features:
- Atmosphere nice; food OKcinjodiDined on 10/16/2014Third visit to Hearsay; each visit has followed our attendance at another event downtown. There were four of us. We had the sweet corn and crab chowder, poblana soup, roasted beet salad, tuscan pasta, hearsay burger and one of the other burgers. The best dish was the Tuscan pasta. The flavors were complex and spicy. Biggest disappointments were the "roasted beet" salad that used canned pickled beets (and without the cashews as described on the menu) and the corn and crab chowder (thin, no corn, tiny bits of crab). Service was friendly. We like Hearsay mostly for the ambiance, which is a funky elegance, with the brick walls and little "tower" and the starry lighting. No live music this time, on a Thursday evening. Great location.I would recommend this to a friend.
- looking for something differentnottonightDined on 10/12/2014The restaurant is beautiful on the inside, terrible parking options, wait staff mediocre , and I had the stuff chicken which was very dry and no good at all...need some work on this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Unique experienceWissamDined on 10/12/2014Dim lights and bar-style waiters... Food is good here, but the item not to miss is their very creative cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town er liked it!BWilsonDined on 10/12/2014Pretty cool We'll run Good food Nice menu place Would go there again next time visiting HoustonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, cool locationDatenightDined on 10/11/2014We finally had a babysitter and some extra money so we went to Hearsay. We asked for a great table since it was our anniversary and they gave a perfect spot. The food was excellent and the service was even better. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite restaurant in HoustonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/8/2014We sat upstairs, had great service, drinks and a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, service was spottyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/5/2014We go to Hearsay often, I like the food and the atmosphere and the location. Usually the service is outstanding, but tonight it was a little spotty. slow with getting drinks, entrées served while the salads were still being consumed and when we ordered wine, there was no tasting before pouring, it was simply poured into to the wine glasses. Not huge issues, and not enough to keep me from coming back, but something the restaurant should monitor and correct with extra training.Special Features:
- fantastic brunchpickysuckerDined on 10/5/2014Read a couple of yelp reviews and we were in the area for Sunday brunch. French Toast and Eggs Benedict were 100% perfect! We will be going back to try their lemon ricotta pancakes, since we just didn't have any room left to try them on the spot. Bottomless mimosas for $11... Need I say more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014At an early Saturday dinner, all of the downstairs tables were filled with most of the upstairs appearing busy as well. We came here for the Hearsay Burger--our favorite downtown burger--with the parmesan fries. The Burger was outstanding as always and the fries had changed from thin matchstick-like fries to more substantial krinkle cut fries. That's an improvement in our book. We found a reasonable bottle of red to accompany our meal and enjoyed watching and feeling the excitement of the crowd around us.Special Features:
- Always DeliciousdolwilsonDined on 10/1/2014I have eaten here a hand full of times for lunch. Making reservations is a great idea, so when I walk in I am seated right away. The staff is always friendly but the food makes the place! They have a variety of entrees that ensure every person in the party gets something that they will enjoy. One day I'll try this place for brunch but with reservations as I tried to brunch once without reservations and it was a two hour wait.Special Features:
- Amazing Experience!CeeCeeDined on 9/28/2014I'm new to Houston & coming to Hearsay for my birthday brunch was a great idea! From the staff to the food it was an all around great experience. The manager Paxton greeted us at the door & was very attentive while they were prepping our table. I'd read the reviews & they said the Lemon Ricotta pancakes were to die for, but I saw they were offering Sweet Potato pancakes now that it's fall. I asked Paxton & he recommended them since I was in a "fall mood' so my friends & I got both. They were delicious!!!! Everyone in our party was very pleased with our food & the service we received. Hearsay has found some new regulars for sure. Thank you Paxton & team! Swirl on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner dateFoodieDined on 9/27/2014My girlfriend and I had a dinner date there after watching a performance at TUTS. We wanted to order everything in the menu it sounded so good. We ordered the appetizer sampler and enjoyed the seafood stuffed mushrooms the best. For dinner I have the Bryd (huge burger) and Mac n four cheese. It came hot and tasted great! My girlfriend ordered the Porkchop, and managed to eat very bit. I can't say it was the best Porkchop I've ever tasted but it was damn close. The mushroom risotto was addicting! My girlfriend loved everything. Also the cocktails were creative and delicious. I highly recommend Hearsay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, and...workingmomVIPDined on 9/26/2014It got pretty loud around 7:30. I forgot about finding parking down there on a Friday night. Really tough.Special Features:
- We'll be going backDawnibelleDined on 9/22/2014At the top of our "Search for the Perfect Bar" list. Excellent food, service and drink. We could actually hear each other talk, which was a huge plus as we only see each other once a month.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place/Food - few shortcomingsGR8FoodDined on 9/14/2014Great place with great food. Seems to be understaffed or something the 2 times I have been there (both times - table of 2). When the servers were available, they were great, friendly and quite helpful. The food is pretty unique and quite good. Goat cheese salad and hot dog were OUT OF THIS WORLD! Brunch -Lemon Ricotta pancakes with scrambled eggs and Potato Hash (instead of bacon) was absolutely awesome! I definitely WON the brunch war! Outstanding... everything was so perfectly seasoned that it didn't need additional salt or pepper, and the pancakes were SO GOOD that I barely used any syrup. Go here. For late night or brunch! seriously. Just do it. Order Lemon Ricotta pancakes 4 brunch and choose something cool if you go for dinner.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I had the kobe dog and will definitely be going back some more to get it. The cocktails were very good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good place to eatMattDined on 9/13/2014The food and cocktails were on point. I had the corn soup, calamari, and the kobe dog. Only shortcoming was the bun was way better than the hot dog itself. Also, the chocolate layer cake was incredible.Special Features:
- Hearsay was great findAyeluvfoodDined on 9/12/2014We picked Hearsay before a comedy show. They made a note and got us in & out in time for the show. There was 6 of us & all of us enjoyed their good. Definitely would go backSpecial Features:
- Lovely spot @ Downtown Market SqrNataliaDined on 9/11/2014I had been 2-3 times before. I like the ambiance, i always find interesting how the lightning is set up. My guests perhaps found it dark at the beginning (2nd floor I think it tends to be darker) but their eyes got adjusted. Still they liked the food (Fish tacos and stuffed chicken) and drinks. I like the bar variety and this time I had the Chicken Marsala, it was very good taste and size. The servers were very friendly and helpful. Overall very good dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2014Hearsay has become our downtown go-to spot when we're looking for a really good burger. The Hearsay Burger is great, but if you want over-the-top, go with The Byrd [adds a fried egg, jalapenos and comes with mac & cheese instead of fries]. Decent enough wines, though place is more noted for its cocktail program.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Romantice hideawayrlattDined on 9/11/2014A great place to wow a date. Cool historical building downtown Houston on the square.Special Features:
- HankDined on 9/10/2014Nice bar scene in up and coming historic end of downtown. three of us had the snapper and it was well prepared and tasty. I was not a big fan of their ceviche, in particular the way it is served on a flat plate without chips. Nice atmosphere and great service.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereNicoleDined on 9/6/2014Enjoyed the bar, enjoyed the dining. Food was really good. One person in our party ordered the fish and it was unfortunately very salty. The stuffed chicken and steak were really good. Fried asparagus was great as an appetizer.Special Features:
- I love this place....FashionistaDined on 9/4/2014This is a great place to have brunch or dinner. Great food and awesome customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.