Headwaters Restaurant at Millcroft Inn & Spa
55 John Street
Alton, ON L7K 0C4Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$51 and over
Headwaters Restaurant at Millcroft Inn & Spa
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.vintage-hotels.com/millcroft
- Phone: 5199418111x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 9:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 10:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Afternoon Tea - All Week - 2:30pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: James Buder
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact our special event manager Paula Groenendyk for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Paula Groenendyk 5199418111x5360
- Entertainment: Every Saturday night Gary Beck plays live acoustic guitar in Headwaters Restaurant & Lounge form 630pm to 930pm.
A word from Headwaters Restaurant at Millcroft Inn & Spa
A passion for pleasing the senses is apparent in the four diamond award winning Restaurant at the Millcroft. Executive Chef James Buder's exquisitely conceived menus, skilful preparation and creative presentation guarantee an experience which will satisfy and inspire even the most discerning palate. With an award winning wine list to compliment a savory lunch or sumptuous dinner, along with a dining experience in "the pod" overlooking the rushing falls of Shaw’s Creek, Headwaters Restaurant and Lounge is not to be missed. Join us every Saturday night for the exquisite sounds of local artist Gary Beck.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Headwaters Restaurant at Millcroft Inn & Spa - Best Restaurants in Caledon ›
Headwaters Restaurant at Millcroft Inn & Spa reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (25)special occasion (22)romantic (18)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- love2eatDined on 9/14/2014The food and service were both outstanding! The scenic setting and quiet ambiance made our meal truly unforgettable.Special Features:
- The Evening was great80thBirthdayDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was chosen for sentimental value to celebrate my aunts 80th birthday. There were two of us and they treated us exquisitely. we dined in the pod overlooking the water. It was a lovely dinner with great food and superb service. The atmosphere was conducive to talking and being heard. Tyler was prompt accurate and very pleasant. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- picturesque and priceytandkDined on 9/12/2014enjoyed the atmosphere, service was outstanding food was tasty, just expensive for small portionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014Very nice ambiance and service. Food was not worth the price in my opinion.Special Features:
- Romantic eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014Great location for our wedding anniversary. Low ambient noise and attractive food presentation, not rushed able to enjoy each course. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- great spotJimmyDined on 8/23/2014charming inn with fine dining and good beer and wine list. A bit of a walk from parking area but otherwise everything is niceSpecial Features:
- lunch with a casual freindgudfudDined on 8/14/2014Very nice facility. Restaurant, grounds, gardens. The food was great and the service was also. My dining companion was an old freind that is not used to exotic food. The menu was small and the choices were few. There was nothing simple or typical on the menu. I think that she was disappointed with the menu but enjoyed the experience. I suggest expanding the menu to include a simple dish or two that cater to simpler tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary Spotcatalina2Dined on 8/1/2014As a first time visitor, I was not disappointed. The online photos and reviews were helpful but the experience was even better. The food was excellent. I had the lamb entree and it was the best I have ever eaten in a restaurant. The setting of the inn/restaurant is spectacular not only the view from the restaurant but also to stroll the grounds before or after dinner. It was a romantic and perfect way to celebrate our anniversary. We will return and hope to bring friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoodie29Dined on 8/1/2014This has been our second time within 3 months we have eaten at the restaurant and gone to the spa. Food is amazing! Chicken pot pie is excellent. The only thing I was dissappointed in was that the dessert I had the first time was not offered the second time, but still they offer excellent in season desserts. Sitting outside under the covered tent by the water is lovely. Each time we have gone for lunch it was for a special occasion as the pricing it s a little on the higher side, but so worth the money for the food!!!! A must go to restaurant!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Absolutely divine! Our server, Tyler, was especially gifted.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experience!ZFMMDined on 6/7/2014Great food - amazing view/atmosphere and some of the best service I have ever received. Headwater's is a gem.Special Features:
- Great view. Horrible foodSteakloverDined on 6/6/2014The setting was perfect. Everything was perfect BUT the food. Ordered beef striploin was horrible and tasteless. Served over a soupy disaster of liquid and peas. They really need to take a good look at there menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 53 reviews are from the Headwaters Restaurant at Millcroft Inn & Spa reviews archive.
- Great getawayKruginatorDined on 5/17/2014Headwaters is proof again of great restaurants are not limited to Toronto. We came for a long weekend getaway. Both the Millcroft Inn and the Headwaters restaurant lived up to expectation. For hard core foodies, the menu is limited but don't let that put you off, to be fair this is the country and you have yo know your audience - the restaurant was almost full for the Saturday evening. Details like the amuse-bouche, the palate cleanser, the food itself and knowledge of the staff and setting itself all contributed to a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrong DayWrongDayBobDined on 5/11/2014The Millcroft Inn's is a charming setting for the Headwaters restaurant. This was our first time there as a family for Mother's Day 2014. Perhaps we chose the wrong day to be there. From the time I booked the reservation to arriving, the menu was changed which was not good. My wife is very particular about items so we always want to understand the menu first. From the fix price menu, I picked the risotto and steak and eggs. The risotto was not risotto but more like lightly flavoured rice, not creamy or rich at all. For the steak and eggs, I was not asked how I wanted my steak prepared. It came very less than medium. The cut of meat was also surprisingly poor; I would have expected better at a place like this.Special Features:
- wonderful!KittyBearDined on 5/11/2014Great service, good food, and a wonderful setting for lunch ro dinner. Explore local trails or stores. Worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastranomic ExperienceWow2JamesDined on 5/9/2014My husband & I were looked after from the moment we sat down to the time we left & treated like royalty. Chef James is extraordinary in his culinary creations. The flavours, textures, variety & presentation were superb & we would go a long way to find a match for this fabulous lunch. We know you are very lucky to have him& he will definitely draw in a lot of customers hungry for exceptional food experiences. We will recommend The Millcroft Inn to anyone who would like to enjoy an escape from the everyday world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memorable MealFallbrookerDined on 5/5/2014We love visiting the Millcroft Inn and always book a table in the Pod, overlooking the millpond and falls. The food is always wonderful and superbly presented. The menu is limited, but covers all food groups! We both had the filet, which was cooked to perfection, and nicely matched with a bottle of Angel's Gate Merlot. The dessert was a chocoholic delight, and one portion was more than enough for two. The ambience was great, and the serving staff was knowledgeable and friendly. Being there on a Monday night, it was not busy, so the atmosphere was very relaxed. It was another memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary at Headwaters-MillcroftnupujDined on 5/4/2014We return at least once a year for special occasions like Birthdays or Wedding Anniversaries. The restaurant has never failed to impress and we usually get a chance to sit in the pod with its excellent view. The wait staff took the time to explain each selection and what it included. We never felt rushed and look forward to returning at an early date.Special Features:
- What a great establishmentMarkDined on 5/4/2014We always enjoy lunch, dinner or brunch at the Millcroft Inn. The service & the food have always been really good and in such a great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youmakemydayDined on 5/4/2014My husband and I spent our 40th anniversay at the Millcroft this weekend and were more than happy we chose this venue. The food, service and ambience were all exceptional.Special Features:
- Fabulous!wkdinerDined on 5/3/2014Our dinner was delicious, and the service was outstanding. It's a bit pricey but well worth it. Be sure to request a table in the pod for a beautiful view of the waterfall.Special Features:
- Had a good timefullbellyDined on 4/23/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere in the restaurant. The view of the pond was excellent and food was quality. Only issue was the time in between courses (We waited 15 -20 minutes for our dessert to arrive)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Afternoon Tea TreasurePalomaDined on 4/12/2014We went to celebrate a birthday and a new baby, a small group of women from 25 a 64. The room was lovely, our table overlooking the beautiful waterfall and the rushing river. The food was delicious, plentiful and reasonable. What made the experience outstanding was the attentive service. From the moment we arrived, all personnel made this a special occasion. Any off the menu requests were graciously accomodated . We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingerindinersDined on 3/30/2014Have previously had wonderful evening dinners at the Millcroft but never before Sunday brunch. It was disappointing. Service was barely functional but not particularly friendly. Menu selection limited. Bread was stale. Starters very nice. Entrees so so - variable quality and lacking in content. Desserts just OK. Coffee good. Wine not great and massively overpriced. Would recommend for dinner but certainly not Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef inspired cuisine. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/24/2014Chef inspired cuisine. My wife had the beef tenderloin with pomme purée and mixed vegetable and I head the coq au vin stuffed with frois gras, baby turnip, fingerling potatoes. For dessert, my wife had the assorted sorbet and had the apple beignet caramel and cider (a nice lite après vie... If you're ordering this don't expect a big dessert). Very enjoyable. Friendly staff. Very attentive and accommodating. And of course, the view. Our own private falls by the mill. Wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Headwaters at mill croft inn and spRhino127Dined on 3/15/2014Foods was fantastic however I was disappointed having gone out and made reservation . My wife and I were greeted and asked about our reservation taken and seated in the worse table in the place my views straight downstairs into the galley of the kitchen. Seriously I make reservations only to be given a walk up table. Not what I expected for the high price I paid for dinner .Special Features:
- The food was good but not excellentTheFoodCriticDined on 3/9/2014Situated on a magnificent location, we went in expecting excellent food and service. Overall it was a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice in Two Weeks- Enough SaidValentinesAvoiderDined on 3/2/2014Went two weeks ago for Sunday brunch and followed it up again this past weekend. Both times, superb! My wife even ordered the same dish on the Prix Fixe - Salmon - and said that both times it was excellent. Thus great consistency as well. Other dishes ordered over the two weekends include Prime Rib and the Flat Iron Steak. All great. Service was excellent from the top down and everyone was very helpful and went above and beyond with our 17-month-old which was appreciated and definitely not expected. We'll be back and looking to Headwaters as a go-to resto in Caledon/Alton. Looking forward to seeing the waterfall in full motion (frozen over now) and exploring the grounds in Spring and Summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and creative foodJoJoDined on 2/16/2014The food was delicious, creative and great to look at as well as eat. There was no background music which I loved so you could actually have a conversation with your date without having to strain your voice. The services was impeccable and although the prices were expensive, the food was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but expensiveZarjacksDined on 2/15/2014We went to The Millcroft to celebrate our anniversary. It was the perfect atmosphere but the meal disappointed us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Millcroft Inn in WinterPDJ30Dined on 2/14/2014A beautiful snowy setting outdoors and a warm welcome inside by several staff. The dining room is artistically decorated, evidently changed for each season. The service was friendly, though on one day not as attentive as it could have been (refilling water and bread). The chef was very accommodating as well as expert in producing delicious flavours. Would hope that more vegetarian options will be added to the menu, but parsnip-apple soup rocked. Because the room was not busy, we can't comment on noise level except that this survey required it be filled in, but did notice pleasant low music. Highly recommend for those who can afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very grateful for a lovely XmasKatTDined on 12/25/2013We are very grateful to the Millcroft Inn staff for making our Christmas dinner such a lovely experience. This year we had the ice storm and the hotel was running on the generator. However we had no idea! When we arrived the staff was relaxed and welcoming as always.The service was perfect and the food was outstanding - every bite. Presentation artistic. Flavours and portions completely satisfying. Deepest thanks to all the the effort behind the scenes to make Christmas wonderful for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive EleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013This year my letter to Santa included just one request: for an overnight stay at the Millcroft Inn in Caledon, a chance for my busy husband, a professional musician and university lecturer, to take a little time with me, and our seventeen year old son who's due to graduate and go off to university in 2014. The Inn is located in a serene and beautiful spot, and the time itself was a gift., but from the moment we arrived (a little tired, rather late for lunch, and very hungry after an hour's drive in difficult traffic) and were welcomed into the lovely Headwaters Restaurant, exquisitely decorated for Christmas, the stay became a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedhappytimeDined on 12/13/2013Food was very tasty, well presented. Beautiful setting, especially at this time of year. Loved the "pod" Had a feeling like you were outside, but were warm and cozy. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedniftyfiftyDined on 12/5/2013My wife and I stayed two nights at Millcroft Inn and dined at the Headwaters Restaurant on both nights. The food is exceptional, and I cannot say enough about the wait staff in the dining room. The overall feeling is comfortable and accommodating. My wife had called and made a special menu request before our arrival and this restaurant did NOT disappoint. Very well done to all the staff!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winter Birthday BrunchKaiikiDined on 12/1/2013Charming spot. Menu and pricing very reasonable. Brunch was excellent. Canadian Christmas decor was vivacious and imaginative. Personable staff are a real asset to the Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had lamb rack and it wastastyDined on 11/24/2013We had lamb rack and it was wonderful. Good wine selection also. And, service was superb! Breakfast as also a great experience with staff willing to move us out to the scenic area when it became available. Really wonderful. We would like to return in the spring summer of 2014. When is the best time to get a very good deal. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeSandDined on 11/20/2013Staff were wonderful both in the restaurant and Inn. Was a great Anniversary for us and the food was the icing on the cake. What a great time we had. We were not rushed during our meal. Great timing between courses. Would definitely come back again. Thanks for a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- specialJimmyDined on 10/29/2013Very good food and service with a great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Captive patronsACMLDined on 10/25/2013Being the only restaurant in the vicinity of the inn where I was staying there was really no other option for supper. The fact that I felt that way during the meal and after says it all. If I had left the restaurant with a different point of view, then I would have given them credit for 'wowing' me with something different. They were just okay. They didn't do anything wrong, but they didn't do anything sensational either.Special Features: