Headhouse Crab & Oyster Co.
119 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Headhouse Crab & Oyster Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.headhousecrabandoyster.com/
- Phone: 2154180600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chef Mike Stollenwerk
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Headhouse Crab & Oyster Co.
Headhouse Crab and Oyster Co features a raw bar, traditional seafood house menu & beverage program by some of the best in the business with Chef Mike Stollenwerk and Master Mixologist Katie Loeb. We source the best seasonal ingredients to create a variety of mouthwatering soups, appetizers, entrees, and drinks. The beverage program features a selection of wines from around the world to classic cocktails like the Manhattan and craft beers from Frankford Ave in Phila. to Washington State. We strive to offer a full circle dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Headhouse Crab & Oyster Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (6)late-night find (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Authentic New England StylephilafoodieDined on 9/12/2014Service and food were outstanding. Crab Kingdom really hit the mark and there was enough to feed 4 people. Shared a dozen oysters & lobster roll for apps and everything was fresh and crisp. Beer list is impressive. Worth the money compared to other options in the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2014Waiter was excellent and food was good. a neighborhood place but not a foodie resturantSpecial Features:
- Not worth a trip backKarenrVIPDined on 8/16/2014We ordered a dozen oysters, and they were the most paultry looking things for $33. Barely able to get a taste. The lobster roll was ok, as it was not swimming in mayo, but lacked flavor. The fried oyster sandwitch was ok, but again - nothing special. Not worth the cab ride there and back.
- Pretty GoodChristieDined on 8/9/2014I enjoyed my experience! The oysters were great as well as the steamed clams. I have had better calamari, but my scallop entree was delicious! The service was OK. It kind of felt like they were rushing us out, but the restaurant was semi-empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost greatTbzzVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great oysters and a very good beer selection. My wife and I shared a large salad that had a a great selection of fresh greens. We also shared a side of lobster mac and cheese that had large pieces of lobster and a creamy cheese sauce. This was all delicious and we were looking forward to our Blue Crab Boil. We were terribly disappointed, the crabs were very small, poorly spiced and way over cooked. We would definitely give this restaurant another try, but not for the crabs.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014Food was great and so was service. Wouldn't change a thing about the experience. Only loud due to a really large loud group next to us but wasn't bothersome at all. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Oriented!FeastorfaminDined on 7/31/2014Everyone, from the Hostess that sat us to the waiter that served us was always concerned about our care in all aspects of dining. I was touched by the information given to me when I asked for more knowledge about certain dishes they had on the menu. First Class Place!Special Features:
- Crab Feast and Oyster ShootersThatGuy9326Dined on 7/11/2014Went all out for the big feast that serves 2-3. My girlfriend and I finished it all though, no app needed. Came with 2 King crab legs, 2 halves of snow crab and dungeness each among keilbasa and taters. Sauce was delicious to dip huge sections of crab meat in. We also ordered oyster shooters... There was one with Gin, cucumber and lime that was a bit overtaken by the gin, but the bloody mary oyster shooter was phenominal with the tabasco in it. Recommend the allagash white with any crab order. Beware that the big feast takes 15 to 18 minutes to prepare, totally worth the wait and the 60 bucks for the variety and sheer size of the meat you get. Setting was really nice, we sat close to the bar/entrance. overall enjoyable meal for celebrationSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Really enjoyed the entrees and the appetizer also the service was just greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue Crab HeavanGrillguyVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was the first place we stopped at after getting off our flight from California. The Blue Crabs were fabulous, but the clams and oysters were fresh and sweet. Highly recommend the Mussels in the curry sauce; they were to die for and the appetizer could easily be a meal when paired with a salad. Wonderful salads too and don't miss the brussel sprouts.Special Features:
- Best Oysters & Crab Legs!!CristamsVIPDined on 7/4/2014We ordered the Riptide Oysters and Snow crab Legs and they were both delicious!! The sauce the crab legs came in was incredible and very good for dipping bread. Our server Jerry gave us excellent service. The Owner was very attentive to the customers and ensured everyone was enjoying their meals. Highly recommend this place for seafood lovers!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnnyDeeVIPDined on 6/29/2014Good Friendly service, affordable, fresh fish, nice oysters. Love the whole fried porgy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poorly trained serversBladeVIPDined on 6/28/2014All the food was good to very good. On multiple occasions, however, service was very inattentive and disorganized. Had to wave down a waitress after waiting 1in at table post arrival. No clear Managment of who was responsible. During service multiple things were forgotton. Good food but overall poor experience.
- Best crabs we ever had!mrstwotimesDined on 6/26/2014My husband LOVES crab legs and since they can be a little pricey when you are dining out, we go once a year for his birthday. We have tried a different place every year, places here in the city and down the shore, and this year at Headhouse was by far the BEST. We ordered the fried calamari to start and it was crispy and flavorful, a perfect size for sharing without filling you up too much. Then we got the Crab Kingdom...WOW. This could easily be shared by 3 people. We were struggling to finish our last crab legs. I thought the prices were more than fair considering how delicious everything was and how much you get for your money. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014This restaurant is in the heart of a vibrant club scene. We had decent sefood and then wandered up the street to a pub. The staff was very friendly and personable. I recomment the Lobster Grilled Cheese sandwich.Special Features:
- Great placeNiyaDined on 6/21/2014We dined at this restaurant for Paint Nite. It was my friend's birthday. We had a good time. The staff let us sit at the table and order happy hour drinks and we appreciated that because many restaurants don't let you do that. The waiter was very friendly. If you like pasta and fried seafood, this is not the restaurant for you. This is basically a raw bar. But I ordered the scallops and they were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Headhouse Crab & Oyster Co. reviews archive.
- cincygirlVIPDined on 5/18/2014Well prepared seafood, fresh reasonable prices would recommendSpecial Features:
- Seafood Delight1njgalVIPDined on 5/18/2014Being from out of town, we found this restaurant on Open Table. The main dining room was beautiful with murals, wrought iron and nice lighting. The mussels as an appetizer were outstanding in a fabulous sauce. We had fried oyster tacos which were good. For a casual seafood dining experience, you will enjoy this new establishnmment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious seafood dinner!lovephillyfoodDined on 5/10/2014My husband and I took his parents here for dinner Saturday night. We were a half hour early but the hostess was super nice and seated us right away. We asked for a table in the room where the doors were open to the outside. The restaurant was clean, decor was nice, and the place smelled delicious. We ordered the fried clams for an appetizer. They were whole lightly breaded clams that were not at all rubbery. For dinner we decided to order both of the "boils". They were so good! Lots of seafood, not overrun with potatoes and corn (just enough). Perfect amount for 4 people. Overall we were very pleased with our experience and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Food not so goodWilberforceDined on 5/10/2014I ate at this restaurant for the first time on Mother's Day the food had no taste just a lot of Old bay seasoning and butter which was saturated into the food.Special Features:
- confusingalaugh01VIPDined on 5/9/2014The food was pretty good. The service was confusingly bad. We sat in the large dining room area, which was a sterile, over-lit area separate from the cool bar area. We were the only table in the entire room for most of our meal. The service staff was nice but so slow. It made no sense since we were basically the only people there. It took forever for them just to take our drink orders. Rarely checked in on us. Forever to get the check. Mostly ignored. For a restaurant with pretty good food and a good location, it became painfully obvious that the reason it was empty (on a Friday night, no less) is because the service is terrible and the reviews are consistent as such.
- Dining ExpereincegoodfoodDined on 5/7/2014The food was very good and the wait staff were extremely nice not to mention I totally enjoyed interacting with the owner. Cool dude!Special Features:
- Excellent seafoodJohnnyDeeVIPDined on 5/6/2014The seafood here is always fresh, surprising good salads, love the Italian bread salad with feta cheese and very light dressing. Oysters are great and my favorite the whole fried Porgy.Special Features:
- $1 OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/27/2014My girlfriend and I went here during a recent trip to Philly. The restaurant is at the end of South st close to Front st in a pretty nice area. Our server was really nice and very helpful. We started with the Lobster mac and cheese and the garlic clams, which were both delicious. We then did a pound of snow crab that was steamed in a delicious garlic and old bay mixture. The main reason we went was for the Happy Hour dollar oyster special. This is from 8-10 on Sunday nights. Well worth it in our opinion. We would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Food was not good for the pricetrish513Dined on 4/26/2014They were out of the oysters we wanted on a Saturday night, the oysters were watery, the clams casino the clams weren't cooked thru and the new England clam chowder was yellow and watery and had no flavor. My husband ordered crab legs and I think they gave him 4 legs and they had no flavor. The lobster roll sandwich was good but it was very small. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
- New Twist to Old Seafood FavoritesChewNsmileNDined on 4/26/2014Truly a dining experience! Seven adults shared most appetizers on the menu. Also shared our entrees. There wasn't a disappointing bite all night. Everyone marveled at the variety of the menu and how every meal was superb. Most impressive was how they refreshed old favorites with an innovative and tasty variation. They enhanced the flavor and presentation but retained the things that have made these seafood staples our favorites. Examples include; a light and crispy fried calamari that virtually melts in your mouth without even a hint of 'greasiness', the pairing of seared scallops with cauliflower was a new presentation of an old dish so perfectly matched that we all wondered why it hasn't always been served that way. We're going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodMattDined on 4/25/2014Very good food, nice place. Will try again for sure.
- Nice place.BrickzyVIPDined on 4/19/2014A large group of us came here for my sisters birthday. At first I was unsure that they would be able to accommodate all of us but surprisingly, everyone in our large party was happy with service and the food. The food here is good but not great. To be honest, I liked the appetizers we all ordered and shared better than my actual entree. But might just be me. All-in-all, this restaurant is good place to check-out and I recommend it above a number of the other moderately priced seafood restaurants in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really interesting take on seafoodGH313Dined on 4/19/2014My family had a special Saturday lunch here the day before Easter since we couldn't get together on Easter day. The staff was very friendly, and the food was really interesting, and very good. I especially liked the mussels with coconut milk and lemon grass, and my family liked the lobster rolls, lobster mac and cheese, and everything else they ordered. They also gave us a tour of the private party room in the back of the restaurant, which has its own service bar and a small outside area. We definitely plan to return, and hope that the good word gets out about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!karoglanDined on 4/18/2014We found this restaurant on Open Table, by chance one afternoon. The owner of the restaurant greeted us, and sat our party immediately. Everyone was so friendly as soon as we walked in the door. We were served water right away, and drink orders were taken as soon as we were ready. The food was delicious. I had the calamari, crab cakes, and brussel sprouts. I am from Maryland, and am a picky crab cake eater, and these were full of lump crab meat... just awesome! My husband and I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Crabby goodPhillyDineOutVIPDined on 4/16/2014We came here on a whim on a Thursday evening. No problems getting a table. Server was new, but did give us some input on the menu items. We started with some sharing of oysters. Second course was Baby Frisee salad and Maryland Crab Chowder, both were very tasty. The chowder was very flavorful and rich. It could have used a little more lump cab meat, but the flavor was still there. For our mains there was the Truffled Skate Frites which was well cooked. In my opinion I could have done without the truffle oil, but my fiance loves the stuff. I had the snow crabs. The buttery old bay broth described on the menu, is just that. I did everything in my power NOT to drink the whole bowl.Special Features:
- Happy Hour with Beers and Oysters!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2014Great late Sunday evening spot for happy hour with beers, wines, and cocktails and $1 oysters. Definitely going back for the oysters, chicken fried oysters, fried clams and lobster mac and cheese. Haven't tried any items besides those smaller dishes, but will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good good quality,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/27/2014Food was very good good quality, fresh, good value. Owner and bartender very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Seafood restaurant on South StJohnnyDeeVIPDined on 3/15/2014Have had dinner here several times over the past year, the foof is always good, nice fresh seafood. The oysters are excellent, nice size for buck a shuck. The salads are delicious, fresh greens and good value for money. The whole pan fried Porgy , a new additon to the menu was amazing. Looking forward to taco Tuesdays for the excellent Fish tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craving SummerbooksandmastiffsDined on 3/13/2014We were craving summer, especially crabs and beer. Headhouse hit the spot. We ordered most of the menu, no joke. The crabs and oysters were perfect. Everything was delicious, but we were surprised to choose the fried clams as our favorite. They had great texture and flavor. The only thing I would not order again was the fried green tomatoes... but it wasn't exactly tomato season. Hush puppies would be a welcome addition to that menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.