Hayashi Sushi & Grill
11820 Merchants Walk
Newport News, VA 23606Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Hayashi Sushi & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hayashisushigrill.com/
- Phone: 757-223-5783
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Hayashi Sushi & Grill
'Huge imposing black doors. Long, luxurious cocktail lounge. A compact sushi bar, flanked by an open kitchen. Double dining rooms, one side devoted to the art of the hibachi, both sides a dazzle of color, texture and flow. Hayashi's atmosphere is as impressive as its food. The City Center restaurant features quality ingredients, artful arrangement and very, very fresh fish.' -Metromix, Hampton RoadsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hayashi Sushi & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
- Good food but lights too lowdinerDined on 8/13/2013We dined at a private table instead of the hibachi grill. The menu had a nice variety of sushi, appetizers, and entrees. The food was delicious; the beef was very tender and juicy. Our waiter was prompt and friendly. My only complaint was the lights; I don't like dark restaurants. I know they were trying to create a certain type of ambiance, but I prefer to be able to see my food without squinting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great decor but lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2013The decor and location of this restaurant was great. The food and service didn't live up to the decor and location. We were a party of three and the only ones in the hibachi area. The server didn't seem to know the menu. It took a very long time to receive our food and for the chef to come out to cook our food. Food was lacking seasoning and flavor. We have had much better service and quality of food and taste at other Japanese Steakhouse.
- Hibachi steakHibachisteakmanDined on 7/14/2013I have been a few times good it great although smaller portion than most hibachi restaurants. Our server did an outstanding job as well as the chef. Overal a great time and will continue to go back.Special Features:
- As usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2013Incredible as usual! Will always keep coming here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pricyBGGGDined on 6/30/2013Expect to pay $40-50 per person when all added up. I am not sure the the good food and okay service was worth that much.Special Features:
- Good foodFoodieDined on 6/22/2013Overall it was a good experience. It wasn't as entertaining as I thought it would be maybe because of the people we were sitting with. But food was delicious :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi!UncleWesDined on 6/22/2013We dined on the Sushi side of the restaurant. Our server was pleasant and knowledgeable, and hit the balance, providing excellent service without pestering. We had several rolls, as well as the 15 piece Sashimi appetizer, ordered as halt tuna, and half salmon. They actually served us 16 pieces of fish, I was curious how that would do it, and they chose the high road.he rolls were excellent and well balanced, and the Sashimi well sliced and served perfectly, with no connective tissue evident in the tuna, and succulent sweet salmon. We asked for them to take their Hurricane roll, Tuna, Avocado, Roe, and Wasabi wrapped in Nori without rice and make it spicy, and they came through, I hope they remember what they did because I want it again!Special Features:
- Always Awesome Dining!nika757Dined on 6/22/2013We always have a great time and the food and ambience are always perfect!!! Will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do NOT reserve online!DoNOTreserveOnlineDined on 6/21/2013Do NOT reserve online! They Do Not use Open Table! My Party Of 7 Was Turned Away!
- Great sushi variety, greatjhllwolfVIPDined on 4/24/2013Great sushi variety, great quality, talented sushi chefs. Interesting and unusual starters.Special Features:
- My only complaint is thatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013My only complaint is that I had a reservation for 7pm and it was 7:20pm before I was seated.Special Features:
- This was our second visitEmilyDined on 3/24/2013This was our second visit to Hayashi, and while the sushi was very good overall, we were disappointed in the Lenny's roll because the shrimp tempura (inside the roll) was stale. Our server - wish we could remember her name - was great, however. If only we could have ejected the diner near us who spent a good portion of the evening talking loudly and profanely on his phone...
- Hayashi was an overall wonderfulLifeisgoodDined on 3/23/2013Hayashi was an overall wonderful and fun experience. I could tell how much the kids at our table enjoyed it. Very entertaining at the grill.Special Features:
- The food and the service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/7/2013The food and the service were great. They do have to work on their food delivery because my guest received his food a few minutes after I did and I didn't think that was appropriate at all. The restaurant is impeccably designed though.Special Features:
- This place was great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2013This place was great. The food was amazing and I had plenty leftover for lunch the next day. I will def. be going back.Special Features:
- Waiter gave us all of hisOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/4/2013Waiter gave us all of his suggestions for sushi and we got them all and we were all very pleased.Special Features:
- We started with sushi andNSwmsbgVIPDined on 1/18/2013We started with sushi and it was very good and everything was fresh. We had dinner entrees from the Japanese selection and found them very tasty and well prepared. The service was attentive and friendly. We had a great time and look forward to returning.Special Features:
- I always enjoy the food andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2013I always enjoy the food and atmosphere here! I recommend it to anyone that enjoys Chinese food and sushi.Special Features:
- Bartender at bar was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2012Bartender at bar was great and provided great service with drinks and apps. Service at grille was slow as only two chefs working with 4 grills. Order from server was wrong for chef cooking meal.Special Features:
- Didn't honor on-line reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2012Made on-line reservation at 10AM. Arrived at 630PM. Hostess couldn't find reservation. There were two sections. There was an open grill where you are entertained by the cooks who cook your food in front of you. The second side had traditional sit-down tables. She tried to seat us at traditional tables until we asked for the grill section. She told us we had to reserve grill seating. We told her we did. She then went to the computer and said we made an on-line reservation and the system doesn't ask which side of the restaraunt we made the reservation for. Thus, she "tried to call us" right before we arrived (had all day). She couldn't reach us so she assumed we wanted non-grill seating. We left & ate elsewhere. Will never go back
- We have been to Hayashi manyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/13/2012We have been to Hayashi many times and usually have wonderful chefs at the hibachi grill. This time the chef was either in training or hadn't cooked that many times before because it took a very long time to get our food. The chef we normally have cooked an entire meal for 2 tables and was half way through a third before our chef finished. Although he did a great job, the dinner lasted 2.5 hours which was excessive.
- Me and my husband loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/12/2012Me and my husband loved it there and have made this restaurant our annual must go place. We didn't take our little ones but others did and their kids looked completely happy with and were acknowledged by the hibachi chef. Great time, great food.Special Features:
- This was our first visit butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/7/2012This was our first visit but definately not our last. We loved this place; we dined around 1:30pm on Saturday so there weren't many patrons to judge the noise. The restaurant is decorated beautifully and would be a great place for groups - either at the sushi bar, the individual tables or the hibachi grills. We sat at the grill with our seven year old (there's a kid's menu or you can share a plate for an additional fee); it was kid-friendly on our visit but the ambience my change at dinner. The chef and staff were friendly and helpful and the food was wonderful. Both adults in the party had steak & shrimp, and our little-guy had shrimp - there was no difference in his plate versus ours portion-wise.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, but the realOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/2/2012Great ambiance, but the real treat to this restaurant is location. It's situated right in the middle of City Center and is close to almost everyone. Parking was no problem at all.Special Features:
- First Time, maybe lastOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2011This was our first time here, did the Habachi Grill. Food was good, didn't care for the garlic butter that the cook used in everything. Service was good, waitress was very nice and very pleasent but she had to many tables. And not together, she had our table, another at the end of the room and it appeared she had one in another dinning room. We were done eating and waited a good 10 minutes for her to come back and we told her we needed a box and the check, by the time we got our check and left the place was another 10 to 15 minutes. I Blame Mgmt for that! The Cook was not very entertaining either. If we try the place again it will be awhile.Special Features:
- Reservation was pointless!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/21/2011I had a reservation for my 3 year wedding anniversary. When I arrived, my hibachi spot had been booked over. I reserved this over a month in advance, and I would have had to have waited for 2 hours to get the next opening. This ruined the planned meal for my anniversary.
- Didn't have want we wantedOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/19/2011Didn't have want we wanted to order, but overall good experience. Good service.
- Skillful, acrobatic chef preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2011Skillful, acrobatic chef prepared delicious food on the hibachi grill. Cooked and served with style and lots of showmanship.
- A decent sushi placeHouTex75VIPDined on 11/2/2011The sushi was okay, not super fresh but also not super expensive. The rolls were tasty but not very spicy (as I had requested), but you can always add wasabi, right?Special Features:
- Great, fresh sushi. I've dinedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2011Great, fresh sushi. I've dined here often and it's always consistently good.
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2011This was our first time at this restaurant. The food was fantastic. The restaurant was too hot however; AC must have had a hard time with the excessive heat that weekend.
- Very good dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2011Very good dining experience. The food was good and the server was very entertaining.Special Features:
- Nice place for a first weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2011When I first started working down in the Hampton Roads area, my first restaurant with my girlfriend was this one. The Oyster Point is really nice with restaurants, apartments and a good view of the waterfront. The food came out in a timely manner and didn't disappoint. The hibachi cooking was on point and was very good indeed. The temperature could've been a little warmer in the restaurant (maybe because of the hot cooking stove), but it was nice. We'll definitely come here again.Special Features:
- This restaurant never failsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2011This restaurant never fails in providing a great dinner and fun atmosphere while you are being served. The best Hibachi-style restaurant in the area!Special Features:
- The food was great! HappyNewgirlVIPDined on 5/12/2011The food was great! Happy Hour had great selections.Special Features:
- We had an amazing server!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/11/2011We had an amazing server! Food was wonderful as always, I recommend the broiled yellowfin tuna jaw bone to start...you won't be dissapointed.
- The food was good. The ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/25/2011The food was good. The ambience was very nice. The staff was very friendly.Special Features:
- As always, the food was wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2011As always, the food was wonderful! Our server was MIA for the majority of our meal, which was frustrating. We had a challenging time getting refills or having our soup/salad plates removed before the main course. The server that greeted us at the beginning of our dining experience was not the one who came to the table to check on us throughout our meal. In fact we didn't see her again until she brought us the check, which I thought was incredibly rude. The chef did an awesome job and really played it up with our table!Special Features:
- Each time that I have ateOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/11/2011Each time that I have ate at the Hayashi Sushi & Grill the food was great. The Cooks are very professional and have a great sense humor.Special Features:
- I reserved two seats on OpenTable,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2011I reserved two seats on OpenTable, but the restaurant didn't check their online reservations. It took a little while to get seated, because we didn't call in for reservations by phone. The waitress didn't check on drinks very frequently, but was nice.Special Features: