1185 Lincoln Ave
San Jose, CA 95125Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.haymarketwillowglen.com/
- Phone: 4082954800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tu-W 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: T-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Joe Cirone
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: All off site operations are designed to reflect client's wishes... tell us what suits you and we will provide.
A word from Hay Market
Casual and elegant... vegetables locally sourced, all proteins are sourced from local ranches. The beef is 100% grass fed and pasture raised in Marin County, The pork is pasture and forest raised in the Santa Cruz Mountains...all seafood is "Safe Harbor" certified and is always "hook and line" caught. The dinner menu changes daily and reflects seasonality on a daily, not monthly, basis. The lunch menu is simplified in order to deliver quickly, while maintaining high standards in quality. Our chef trained under David Kinch, Stephan Pyles and David Burke and has assisted in the openings in numerous bars and restaurants in New York City, Chicago, Connecticut, Florida and, of course, California before returning home to Willow Glen to open Hay Market. We offer an eclectic wine list and numerous craft beers and limited mark-up to keep all costs down for our customers. Relax and Enjoy.Continued
WE OFFER PRIVATE DINING FOR GROUPS UP TO 50 PEOPLE... NO ROOM CHARGES AND NO HIDDEN FEES
WE OFFER PRIVATE DINING FOR GROUPS UP TO 50 PEOPLE... NO ROOM CHARGES AND NO HIDDEN FEES
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Hay Market - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Hay Market reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (10)special occasion (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (5)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Max5897Dined on 10/7/2014I am not sure what happened to this place. It was such such a great place and the food was great. Now it is just a waste of $$$
- Great food, fun atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/4/2014The cocktails and food that we got were delicious. All of the staff that we interacted with were great. They had the ball game playing for Giants fans, and then they started playing Sharktopus. My friend and I watched the entire thing, with no sound, and had a blast! A bunch of other patrons were into this "so bad it's good" movie, and really, it was such a fun time. I'd go back for the food any day, but now I want to go see what other awful movies they will be showing!Special Features:
- Local, fresh, worth a tryVRiesVIPDined on 10/3/2014The menu is different and the food combining is creative. My husband got the mac and cheese which was homemade pasta with blue cheese and crisp onion rings. I had the brisket with whipped sweet potatoes and crushed pistachio. It was great blend of flavors but the brisket was really chewy. I didn't want to wait another 30 minutes for a different cut of meat so they brought me the salmon, which was just OK. Our server was not friendly but was attentive. Would ultimately give it another shot.Special Features:
- Better and better!PolarisDined on 10/2/2014We've been coming to Hay Market side it opened - is was really good and guess what - it's is better EVERY time we go! Menu expanding, cocktails - just fantastic.Special Features:
- melsjDined on 9/23/2014I like that the menu is always changing, and they use an interesting combination of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding food!frekwentdynerDined on 9/20/2014We have eaten at The Haymarket several times, and the food is terrific. I had the Coconut Pork Butt, and it was unbelievable: fork tender, rich (but not heavy), and insanely flavorful. If you aren't comfortable with being seated at the long bar-style tables, you can request one of their tables for four. But, we love the communal feel of the long tables, the friendly and informed servers and lively atmosphere at this neighborhood gem where people come to eat, drink, and have a terrific time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatPolarisDined on 9/13/2014We keep going back to Hay Market - food is some of the best in the valley, good wines, all around great night out.Special Features:
- Good food, high priceWG4FoodieDined on 9/5/2014We have been thinking about trying the Hay Market for a while, but the menu was a little intimidating. Food was great! Portion sizes were small and the price high. Would definitely go again, but not frequently do to the price/potion continuum.Special Features:
- AmazingKandTDined on 8/30/2014The farm-to-table concept has been mastered here! Food is fantastic. Staff is great. We couldn't have been happier with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryZVIPDined on 8/30/2014Just had dinner at Hay Market on labor day weekend. The food was outstanding. Their specialty cocktails are really fresh and different. The homemade bread was outstanding (we ordered dutch crunch rolls). My husband had the meatball and said it was the best he ever had. I had pork in a coconut sauce. This place is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh...CalibriVIPDined on 8/22/2014Offerings were to weird for my taste. Not into the whole food experience.Special Features:
- ToddDined on 8/16/2014Great local restaurant that uses the best seasonal produce in a creative menu that they rotate regularly! Never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fun Dinner at Hay Market!WineandDineDined on 8/16/2014We've been a fan of the Hay Market in Willow Glen for 2+ years and now they now have a full bar! Their menu continues to evolve with tantalizing entrees and exceed expectations. Our group ordered four different entrees; the meatball, pork belly, beef cutlet, and the vegetarian risotto. All were awesome not to mention the homemade bread! And the community tables are a great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, weird ambiance/serviceluv4foodDined on 8/2/2014Hay Market has the right idea when it comes to cuisine: local, whole, fresh food; It's just what a former San Franciscan Foodie like me wants. However, what's up with the 7 or so TVs in the small space?? Or the servers who don't introduce themselves or explain the menu (which is unique) or make suggestions?? I mentioned that we wanted wine with our dinner and out came the dinner before she had come by for our wine order. AND THE PLACE WAS PRETTY EMPTY.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceeds my expectations.JoeBattAttackDined on 7/29/2014I don't know where to start, the place is phenomenal. We didn't even order off the menu. We asked the server to choose for us. I was there on a first date and she was impressed to say the least. I love Hay Market!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wished for something betterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Hoped for another great neighborhood spot. Wished it had been better. Food was pretty good. This time of year could have featured local produce. Waitress, "could not be bothered." no rush to get back.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014We ate here for the first time this weekend. The food was pretty good---good flavors. However, the server was pretty rude and unfriendly. Not sure what her problem was, but definitely won't return.Special Features:
- Love Hay MarketCYDinerDined on 6/26/2014Everytime I leave I say...best meal I've had. How do they keep raising the bar?Special Features:
- The following 55 reviews are from the Hay Market reviews archive.
- Fresh and deliciouslovewgDined on 6/18/2014First off, their cocktails are a recent addition and they definitely do not disappoint. Very creative choices and refreshing on a hot day. We tried several dishes and every single one of them was better than the next. We started with the house made naan with tomato curry and we couldn't get enough of it. Had a kick to it without being too overpowering. We tried the chilled coconut melon soup, spring vegan risotto and the angus flank steak bibimbop. I almost wish I had a bigger stomach so that I could have eaten every last morsel and then ordered more food. This is definitely a place to visit if you want great tasting, straight from-the-farm fresh food.Special Features:
- Deeelicious!RevSuzDined on 6/13/2014Had a lovely dinner at Hay Market. The potato, bacon, gorgonzola soup was really good - perhaps a bit saltier than necessary - but that didn't stop me from almost licking the bowl. Had the salad broccoli/baby greens salad and the burrata was lovely with a lemon dressing so good I really, really want to know how to make it! Shared the house-made nan with a dipping sauce that had just the right amount of heat. My son had the Bibimbop and the flank steak was cooked to perfection, the kimchi was surprisingly tasty - not an easy feat, since I've seen so many restaurants mess that up! Can't wait to go back again and try more things. I also highly recommend the "fashioned," a great cocktail to begin my meal!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Great unique food. The grilled corn side had a nice hint of red pepper. The ginger cardamon gelato was also excellent. The chef isn't afraid to experiment with some unique combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/20/2014The food was delicious and the staff was very friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience there.Special Features:
- Great CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/16/2014We were there early, so no crowds. We were celebrating a great day. Food was excellent. All of us loved our meal whether it was the pasta, Peking Duck or the Fish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014The Haymarket is a go-to restaurant for us because we want delicious, local food that isn't heavy. The menu always has creative things on it and the staff is very friendly. The communal tables are fun for meeting people or you can keep to your own party.Special Features:
- Just keeps getting more interestingkknevadaVIPDined on 5/9/2014You never know what's going to be on the menu, which is great IMHO. So many opportunities to try new things, new combinations. The staff is friendly. You can have a nice evening and come home with something left in your wallet and a sense of having been taken care of. True, not everything on the menu is equally successful but boy do they try.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingmehitwasokayDined on 5/7/2014We went there for restaurant week. I was a little surprised that their menu posted online for restaurant week was different than the one they had in store that way. The main courses were underwhelming, being your average salmon and average steak dish. I would have rather we ordered of the main menu, as those sounded tastier. Lesson learned. The kitchen was really backed up, so we ended up waiting almost an hour between our appetizer and entrees. For paying almost the same price as LB or some other nicer restaurants, I'd much rather spend money else where.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood placepedroplyrDined on 4/29/2014This was my third visit to Hay Market. As always, a great beer a wine list. Our server was very nice and personable, but she was not as aware of the menu as she should have been. She couldn't answer all of our menu questions so the Chef came out to answer them, which was nice. She made a mistake on one of our orders, which she admitted after I let her know I had gotten the wrong thing. The chef was happy to replace it for the correct menu item, and offered a complimentary dessert to make up for the delay. The food might have been a tad bit off, compared to previous visits, but still was delicious and interesting as always. Chef definitely knows his stuff and you will always be pleasantly surprised.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 4/26/2014Great food, great service, great atmosphere. Hay Market has fast become one of my local favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting there!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/25/2014After several changes this neighborhood gem is beginning to come into their own. Menu is still a little confused but all the dishes we ordered were interesting and very good. Service was slow but owner is working on the issues. They now serve interesting cocktails which is nice option as most places in WG just offer bad wine. Stay with it, almost there!Special Features:
- Great foodGoodfood65Dined on 4/12/2014The menu always changes. They use local ingredients which the chef cooks perfectly.Special Features:
- Why the huge tv screens?LuvitalianDined on 3/29/2014We had dinner here for the first time last weekend. Overall we really enjoyed it - good, interesting food, good service, nice relaxed ambiance except for the 3 large tvs that were broadcasting some obscure movie the entire time we were eating . They were very distracting, and seemed out of touch with the rest of the feel of the restaurant. I would like to go back, but I have to say that the intrusive tvs/weird movie selection will make me think twice about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Masterful use of local ingedientsMondyVIPDined on 3/22/2014Started with a sparkling glass of prosecco, very refreshing. Loved the soup. Today it was creamy artichoke which was perfect. They use something called prickly ash oil and roasted garlic. The Arugula salad with golden beets and goat cheese was equally good. I also tried the Alaskan Cod which was flaky and delicious. Lastly I tried the smoked pork chop which I had served with creamy polenta. Everything was very fresh and delectable. I can recommend all of these dishes. The service was also very good and I plan to return soon.Special Features:
- I chose this restaurant becauseFussyeaters2VIPDined on 3/21/2014I chose this restaurant because the food and wine menus were good and it was near a friend's house. I arrived early and was glad I did because it got too noisy later on. It's not fine dining, as the menus led me to think, but the service was friendly and the food and wine turned out as I thought it would. Asparagus risotto stood out, and the server found a larger wine glass for the pinot. The sea bass and carrot cake dessert also showed originality. The chef deserves a finer setting; maybe a sister restaurant set up for fine dining?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was wonderful andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014The food was wonderful and the service was great !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreKathyVIPDined on 3/7/2014I really wanted to like this place, but I just didn't. It was overpriced for small portions. So diappointing.
- Clueless ServerHarryDined on 3/6/2014The food was pretty good but the waitress knew absolutely nothing about any of the meal options. She clearly had no training and couldn't even describe the basics of anything. She guessed at some items and got it wrong.
- Inspired menuWG4dDined on 3/1/2014We love that we can always count on new ideas and flavors at Hay Market. This time, it was a goat pastrami Reuben with kimchi instead of traditional sauerkraut. And the salmon was dressed with a refreshing comice pear tzatziki. And though I usually find desserts resistible, I couldn't pass up the dried cherry and port gelato. It was worth breaking my long-standing "no desserts" rule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of t he predictablefood4meDined on 2/26/2014Our party loved the food--basics with a twist. Had the featured pasta, lamb with lentils, carmelized onions, grain souffle, and wonderful dessert made with marzipan. We came early, left late, sat at a separate table and were able to visit. It was much better than my previous visits. We'll be back/ food4meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yay! Ramen comes to Willow Glen!kknevadaVIPDined on 2/21/2014Smart folks at the Hay Market are now using the daylight hours to serve ramen and very complementary sides including edamame with little shrimp fried in a chili infused oil. Acquired taste for some, but mmmmm for me. Our group tried four different ramen preparations, all rich and tasty. Bowls are a meal in themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hay Market Date NightCleverKevDined on 2/14/2014Tried out the Valentine's Day prefix menu, food was great, so was the service. The atmosphere is really nice too, what with the lighting and such - very romantic! Also, the price was outstanding for a 5 course meal, overall I had a wonderful experience. Would recommend to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.