Hawthorne Lobster House
2422 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
Downtown Portland - SE
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Hawthorne Lobster House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hawthornelobsterhouse.com/
- Phone: 5032318245x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Peaches Thorburn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that is separate from the main dining and it seats up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Hawthorne Lobster House 5032318245x
A word from Hawthorne Lobster House
Welcome to HAWTHORNE LOBSTER HOUSE where lobster is served just about anyway you desire. Locally owned and operated, Hawthorne Lobster House brings Lobsters to Portland like never before. We have a variety of lobster sizes available from 1 pound lobsters to 10 pounds and beyond. Serving the famous New England style lobster roll, lobster platters, lobster mashed potatoes, steak, poultry, clams, crab, seafood salads, soups, pastas and more. Come check us out for the full menu. We also have a full bar and an incredible wine list. Save room for our amazing desserts including Baked Alaska. We even have our very own lobster mascot in house. Hawthorne Lobster House...the best tail in Portland!!!Continued
Reservations strongly recommended.
Reservations strongly recommended.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Hawthorne Lobster House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Portland - SE ›
Hawthorne Lobster House reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (33)good for groups (29)romantic (16)great for outdoor dining (15)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (12)hot spot (11)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Moms birthday dinnerBlossom001Dined on 9/7/2014We had great food and service. Mom is in a wheelchair and it was perfect for handicap accessibility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster, lobster, lobsterLOJoanDined on 9/6/2014Limited menu....few choices expect for Lobster. VERY expensive. Not sure experience worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but little disappointingspritch2Dined on 8/29/2014First impression was not very good. Concrete floors and wooden tables and chairs pretty up the decor. The ceiling was high which amplified the noise. I ordered a "20-24 ounce" lobster. My wife ordered the Lobster Newburg.I will say I was disappointed as was my wife. The tail with shell may have weighed 20-24 ounces but I got little more meat that a standard 12 ounce lobster tail. My wife said her Newburg as good, but she has had better. For dessert I got the Creme Brule while my wife ordered Hershey Pie. The Creme Brule was excellent. The Hershey pie was disappointing. So here is the bottom line; great menu but expensive. Food is OK. Wait staff was great.Special Features:
- Really Good Seafooddirkman42Dined on 8/28/2014I haven't had seafood in a long time, this was a treat for me. The service and food was excellent. Had a really good time there. The restaurant itself was pretty quiet for a Thursday night.Special Features:
- Special Occasiontheatrepartyof6Dined on 8/28/2014It was our 55th wedding anniversary. They were so nice to us.Special Features:
- Great New Find in PortlandPDXBimmerboyDined on 8/25/2014We were celebrating my cousins birthday and she had chosen the Hawthorne Lobster House. I hadn't heard of it up until that night and I'm very happy that I found it. The food was incredible! I had a Rib Eye steak along with a 6 oz lobster tail. Choice of preparation and I chose the butter infused method. Was I ever glad I did. It was so sweet and wonderful. The steak was perfect as well and we joked with our server about it being that it came from an "Italian cow" as she first put it. The service was fantastic as well. A genuinely incredible experience and I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Lobster you can't do better!WillyjpDined on 8/25/2014Outstanding lobster perfectly prepared! The bisque is, as other reviews suggest, "to die for"! It may have been because we were hungry when we first arrived, and ate it first, but the "lobster bites" on the appetizer menu were especially delicious. Lobster tail main dishes were impeccable and delightful. We will definitely be back the next time we want lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snail ServicePDXFoodieDined on 8/24/2014On their menu they list fun facts. One of them is about Peaches, their chef, and his snails that he is parenting. I wonder if it was bring your kids to work night and he had the snails back there working with him. Some of the slowest service both in back of the house and in front of the house that I have experienced in Portland. Thankfully it was not a full night otherwise people might still be waiting for their food. The whole lobster was good, skip the bisque--too tomato soupish and skip the crème brulee--very soupy.
- Very nice. Really good serviceiceyMemphis526belleDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food and service. Rather pricey Lobster roll was great as was roasted corn with bacon and baked Alaska.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average to goodRebeccaVIPDined on 8/23/2014I wanted to love this place, the location is great. The wine list was mediocre, the red were all overpriced, too many Naked Winery options. I thought I ordered a Coleman Pinot for $33 and was charged $75 for the Coleman reserve. We orderd the the hot seafood platter for $75 as our entrees, some of the selections were delicious but the lobster tail and some of the crab legs were overcooked. The lobster roll appetizer was good, we got the cajun version, the favors were nice. The place was not busy which made the noise level perfect but the lighting is a bit bright. I expect a $175 for dinner for two to be great, and for the food to at least be cooked to perfection.
- Previous reviews correctOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Our hostess and waitress were great ! The lobster roll was delicious, loved the skinny-cut fries and the coleslaw was good. Unfortunately, the large lobster tail was overcooked, just as most of the previous reviews had stated. I would love for this place to make it, but they need to read the reviews. Most are saying the "lobster was overcooked".
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Somewhat spendy but the Food was excellent and they had some very nice wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed our meal.Occasion65dinerDined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent. Staff were friendly We are looking forward to a return visit to sample different items from the menu and cocktail barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster with a capital "L" for :)ElaineDined on 8/15/2014We never got past the appetizers with a party of three with drinks and desserts! Everything was amazing and delicious! It was so hard to decide what to choose. Lobster cocktail (large portion and not overcooked), Lobster fondue, clams, mussels, lobster rolls, creme brûlée, berries with Vanilla Bean ice cream, and BAKED ALASKA (my favorite dessert). It was all amazing! Our waiter Nickolas was one of the best waiters we have had in a long time. (Including a trip to Europe recently.) One of the owners Shelly did an amazing feat of naming off all 50 states in alphabetical order in under 20 seconds and went on to talk about how the restaurant got started. We went there for a special occasion and were not disappointed. The prices were worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and helpful staffWestcoastNewYorkerDined on 8/13/2014The food was good, server was exceptional! We were allowed to make substitutions, but the wait the wait time for food and beverages was very long.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehTime2eatDined on 8/11/2014The food was good except that the crab was a little overcooked and dry. Went there for our Anniversary, but this was not really any place special to us. Could have spent less money on better tasting seafood cooked at home. Did not feel the meal was worth the price.Special Features:
- Not impressedBirthdayBummerDined on 8/10/2014I read some bad reviews but wanted to try it out myself. I wish I would have listened. It took forever to get the waitress to acknowledge our party of 6. The food was alright. Nothing was great! The prices were way too high. There is no ambiance at all! It's more of a lunch spot. I went there for my birthday dinner and I won't be back. The lobster tank is so dirty it's hard to see the lobsters.
- A bit priceyBlousyDined on 8/9/2014Food is definitely very good! The Lobster Bisque is probably the best I have ever eaten (I had my share on many trips to the East Coast). My husband would have like a little more seafood in his Bouillabaisse for the price. Loved the bathroom, spacious & VERY clean, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PresentationCosmicAngelDined on 8/6/2014Food was flavorful, presentation was excellent. Service was a little lengthy. May have been busier then expected on a Wednesday and not enough staff. Waitress was very sweet and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe in time....EatonBemarryDined on 8/2/2014This place just opened, so I will give them a try again in a year ( if they make it) The food is decent..Really very tasty .. Reasonable lobster prices and they do have stone crab, which is hard to find in Portland. They just still seem to be finding their land legs in regards to service and dish presentation. The stone crab arrived attractively submerged in a glass of cocktail sauce. Stone crab is a hard shell to crack, so , even though it was pre scored ( barely) It was a messy wrestling match and unfortunately, the stone crab won. It's an expensive meal for the experience and lack of ambience. The space is clean and modern, but they need to lose the fish nets and seashells.Special Features:
- Great service, tasty foodKingOfToastyDined on 8/1/2014The service was friendly and professional. Our server was quite attentive and helpful in answering questions. It did seem like it took a bit too long to receive our food after ordering, however. Overall, the food was quite good. The lobster pasta had nice big, fresh chunks of lobster meat. The lobster mac and cheese was cheesy and fresh with a great lobster taste. my steamed lobster tail was nice and tender and tasted fresh. Unfortunately, my steak was extremely overcooked; I ordered a medium rare steak and received it well done. Disappointing considering the prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like back in Massachusetts!LovelyLeoDined on 7/30/2014Recently went to Hawthorne Lobster House and had a lobster roll and oysters on the half shell for a birthday dinner. The lobster roll was delicious - just like from my homeland of Massachusetts! My partner had steak and that was very good, too! A rarity sometimes when eating at a seafood place. We had great service - excellent cocktails and a lovely time. Great restaurant and look forward to returning again.Special Features:
- llovesllamasDined on 7/27/2014The bisque was fabulous! We enjoyed our drinks, they were new to us especially the prickly pear limeade! The mashed potatoes were very nice and the coleslaw was great. The star of the show was the lobster tail......yummy! No room for desert, next time. Nicholas, our waiter, was very attentive and knowledgeable. We loved our evening and will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice MealDisappointedDined on 7/27/2014We all had the traditional lobster rolls which were very delicious and loaded with lobster. We also shared the small portions of lobster mash potatoes, corn and lobster mac and cheese. The French fries and coleslaw with the lobster rolls were also very good. The wait staff was very attentive and they were quite kind to our seven year old grandson. We would go again for a special lobster treat!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Seating was prompt and friendly, the table we were offered was not by the kitchen. All the people worked as a real team to make us more than happy. The drinks we ordered were not watered down stretching 24 drinks out of a fifth. The presentation of the seafood platter for 4 was excellent. The kitchen and dining area did not smell like old seafood like the other lobster place in town. No screaming kids a truly pleasurable, memorable dining experience. Any problems they had at opening are worked out , and I can't say enough good things about them. This is the place if you love lobster done perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014had a good experience great food, service & atmosphere.Special Features:
- Not ready for Prime TimeOregonNativeDined on 7/25/2014The restaurant had our reservation, and we were seated promptly. Our meal was served very promptly. I specifically mentioned in my reservation request that it was our 28th anniversary and requested a bottle of sparkling water at the table, that did not happen. Specialty cocktail was served after our meal. Lobster bisque was served with no spoon, ultimately I was given a tea spoon. Pasta was over cooked. Lobster was so overdone it was difficult to remove from the shell. Meal for to served on a large platter was served without any type of serving utensils. No dish was initially provided for shells.
- Outstanding!LaurellDined on 7/25/2014Would go there again and again. The lobster was great, very well cooked and presentation beautiful. They did a fantastic job. Service was stellar and we enjoyed ourselves very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frozen Shooters!SeasideSeafoodieDined on 7/19/2014I recently took my adult children and one of their friends there after eagerly anticipating the occasion. Unfortunately, was not impressed. The service was quick, we didn't need the reservation as we arrived 15 minutes early and HLH was only 1/2 full, and never reached more than that during the hour we were there, on a Saturday evening no less. As to the food itself, ehhh. The claws and tails were ok, but the real problem was the oyster shooters were FROZEN! Literally, we opened the shooter glasses and had to chip at the oyster. The staff took them back, but it was another 10 minutes before we got replacements??Special Features:
- Good time.denasmithjrDined on 7/19/2014The food at Hawthorne Lobster house is very good and well prepared. The entire wait staff are very good at what they do and are very much on top of things. They don't make you feel that you've been forgotten about. The decor could use some help. A carpeted floor would look a lot better that concrete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fingers crossed for longevity!welovedatenight2Dined on 7/18/2014This is a new place. And they've put a lot of effort into the ambiance and the menu. I also loved discovering they have a parking lot...small...but unusual for Hawthorne. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable but not annoying. My husband had a lobster claw bloody Mary. What a cocktail. We split the cold seafood tower and garlic-asiago fries. It was so much deliciousness on ice! Not cheap but well worth it and a good value in that you get a lot and it all tastes very fresh. Hopefully with time, their business will pick up a bit. It would be sad to lose this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working on itIrisVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is our second trip to Hawthorne Lobster…the first was very good; this last trip, the food had gone bad…the place is pricy, but if one could get fresh lobster, alaskan crab and clams, cooked to order and served in a timely fashion, the $125 hot platter for 4 was probably worth it….not the case this time--took a lot of time, felt it was warmed over and didn't have that we just took it out of the sea taste… We probably won't go back for a third try.
- Good idea bad implemtatioLobsterLassDined on 7/13/2014These folks needed to seriously do their homework before they set up this place. A traditional east coast lobster place has a much more down home feeling and the focus is on simplicity - casual tables where things can and do her messy, this places is most certainly NOT this experience. I ordered a three pound lobster they offered prepared in several ways - one I had never heard of (and I've dined at close to a hundred Lobster joints) was poached in butter. Now I know why no one else does this - it makes grabbing hold of the lobster with the crackers damn near impossible. My lobster showed up raw with the eggs a black gooey disgusting mess (when cooked the black goo turns orange - any lobster chef knows this).
- Great Food and ServiceCelebrateDined on 7/8/2014We went there for our Anniversary and the service was amazing. Food was great and the order in which it was brought to us was perfect. We did not feel rushed at all and the place had a great vibe. My only recommendation would be some better Red wines.Special Features:
- jimboDined on 7/7/2014had very nice dinner . the wait staff were knowagable and help steer us in the right direction. Our waitress was eceptional, I will come back just because of the servive we recieved. thanks again for a nice dinner. I don,t remember the waitresses name but she had moved from the DallasSpecial Features:
- Hawthorne Lobster HouseLobsterDined on 7/6/2014one of the best steaks i have ever had, the Lobster was unbelievably good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedStillHungryDined on 7/6/2014The food was good. The service was horrible! Waitress kept going back to get our menu questions answered, not focused on customer & took plates away before we were finished. We asked for a female lobster for the roe. An extremely long wait time. The roe was taken out & we knew this because of some bits left behind. Lobster was cold in some areas, i.e., tail. We requested another lobster & were told they ran out & were waiting for a delivery. How does a lobster place run out of lobster at 6:30 in the evening? There were only a handful of customers. We waited another 45 minutes. Lobster still cold. It closed early due to lack of business-not a surprise. Won't go back. Next time.....Ruth Chris!
- thunderDined on 7/5/2014Food was great,price was right.I did not care for the seating.I felt like everyone was to close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pretty decent mealOregondinersDined on 7/3/2014My wife and I had the lobster newberg. Decent portion, good tasting. The service was very friendly and the wine was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Dning Experience!foodlobbyDined on 6/29/2014My wife and I both loved this place. The service was excellent. Our server, Sarah, was friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable. The atmosphere was relaxed and the food was delicious. My wife had the Honduran lobster tail and absolutely loved it. I had the filet. For a seafood place the steak was very, very good! We will be back to enjoy some more of what the menu offers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.