Hawthorne Lobster House
2422 SE Hawthorne
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
Downtown Portland - SE
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Hawthorne Lobster House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hawthornelobsterhouse.com/
- Phone: (503) 231-8245
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:30pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Peaches Thorburn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Hawthorne Lobster House
Welcome to HAWTHORNE LOBSTER HOUSE where lobster is served just about anyway you desire. Locally owned and operated, Hawthorne Lobster House brings Lobsters to Portland like never before. We have a variety of lobster sizes available from 1 pound lobsters to 10 pounds and beyond. Serving the famous New England style lobster roll, lobster platters, lobster mashed potatoes, steak, poultry, clams, crab, seafood salads, soups, pastas and more. Come check us out for the full menu. We also have a full bar and an incredible wine list. Save room for our amazing desserts including Baked Alaska. We even have our very own lobster mascot in house. Hawthorne Lobster House...the best tail in Portland!!!Continued
Reservations strongly recommended.
Reservations strongly recommended.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Hawthorne Lobster House - Best Restaurants in Downtown Portland - SE ›
Hawthorne Lobster House reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (17)romantic (16)hot spot (8)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great Food!smether25Dined on 11/22/2014I was a little hesitant when I read some of the reviews regarding the Hawthorne Lobster House, but my husband was set on having dinner there. I'm so happy we made the decision to try it. We were extremely happy with the service as well as the food. I ordered the Ribeye with lobster tail on the side and it was more than I could eat. I ended up splitting my steak with my husband. The lobster was AMAZING! My husband & I ordered the butter poached lobster and loved it! It was quite busy and our waiter was great about checking on us. It wouldn't be somewhere I would take our kids, but a great place for a "date night" or a group of friends to go. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lip360OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014We couldn't have been more disappointed! We dine out with another couple frequently in Portland and were really looking forward to this new restaurant. Our reservation was at 5:30, so it wasn't busy....the service was extremely slow and the prices were through the roof! Quality of the food was not good at all...we ordered the large seafood platter and it came with 2 small pieces of fish, lobster, shrimp a few crab claws and clams and mussels that were all shells for $125!!! We asked for tartar sauce or aioli and the server looked at us with a blank stare! We settled for lemon. What a shame! Portland needs a good quality seafood restaurant.
- LacklusterCoach4TravelVIPDined on 11/22/2014We read the reviews and thought, wow a great Lobster house. Very lackluster with very little Ambiance. The service for a $200 meal was lousy. When you spend this much money you expect people your server to answer all your questions and more important, tell you what to expect when they bring you appetizers. One of the owners April was the saving grace for our visit, but not enough that we would go back or take our friends. The great lobster that was promoted was just Ok and for the price, disappointing. I'm very sad that open table gave them such a Great review, because we could have paid 1/3 rd the price and had a better meal. We have always trusted open table, but now we have to look further.
- Had a blastOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/12/2014Our group had a blast at the lobster house. The staff were all so attentive to us and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for ImprovementLobsterLoverDined on 11/9/2014The Hawthorne Lobster House may have "the best tail in town" but it could have been better. Our oysters were delicious but we were forced to eat them with our dinner forks. A cocktail fork would have been appropriate especially with small oysters. Dinner was served lukewarm, but that was good because the shell didn't burn my fingers when I tried to pry the lobster meat out. It was slightly underdone and didn't come out easily. Also, we were given nothing to put our shells into. My husband's a la carte lobster tail came on a plate that was exactly the same size as the tail. Really? He put the shell on his bread plate to get it out of the way. The lobster was succulent and sweet, but overall there is great opportunity for improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VixenDined on 11/9/2014Food was very good. I thought it was too expensive for what was served. I can understand the lobster dishes being pricey, but the basic dishes shouldn't have to be over the top.Special Features:
- Food was great, service wasn'tFoodJunkieDined on 11/8/2014Being my very first time at HLH because of a recommendation from my sister, I expected the restaurant to have the appeal similar other high end restaurants in the area. Although the food quality was very good (my group tried most of the menu items available), the time between courses served was too long despite the restaurant wasn't overly busy. Food service for 6 should not take 4 hours for three courses. I compare the ambiance to that of Red Lobster. Price was a little on the high end considering service level and restaurant scenery was less than stellar. Food quality was decent except for two of our appetizers were a little overcooked. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this place for large groups. Our server was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014Waited 50 minutes for our meal and there were only 8 other diners in the place. My wife's steamed clams were good but the lobster roll was almost inedible (minimal lobster, terrible texture, and poorly seasoned). However, the wait service was very good and there was enjoyable live music. The Hawthorne Lobster House is a minus in the Portland eating scene. If you want a good lobster roll, go to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse downtown during Happy Hour. The lobster is fresh, plentiful, much less expensive and tasty.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Servers and chefs did a great job. It was my grandmother's birthday, and they brought her a free creme brulee with a candle in it. So sweet of them! It is definitely spendy, but the lobster is very fresh.Special Features:
- Good food but too slow to arriveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Our party of 9 was seated at opening on a recent Sunday evening. There was one person at the bar, and one other 4-top. Food was pretty good : - my wife enjoyed her Whole Lobster very much, although she said it could have been a bit warmer and seemed like it had been sitting too long - my Tomahawk Steak was delicious, tender, and cooked as ordered (Medium-Rare) - dad said his Bouillabaise was "Outstanding!" - sis and mom said their Lobster Rolls were "very good" Server was very polite and cheerful, but checked on us too infrequently during the hour+ we waited for our meals. Would have been nice to get more frequent status updates and explination what was taking so long, since the place was not at all busy.
- JohnnyDined on 10/26/2014I can't recommend this place. Small portions, OVER PRICED. EXCELLENT staff! So disappointed!!!!
- there is better lobster elsewhere.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014I found that the food was way overpriced and the quality was just above average. For those prices I want to be wow'd. The staff was very friendly and service oriented. The ambiance was not there for a romantic dinner. This is more fit for groups
- absolutely wonderful time!SpecialcelebrationDined on 10/20/2014Excellent! We came to celebrate our anniversary, and we were not disappointed! The service, our server was Kim, was wonderful! She was friendly, knowledgeable, attentive and yet never interrupted our time together. The food was delicious, and they treated us to a delicious dessert. I would highly recommend it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014It's nice to see Portland open a real seafood restaurant. The menu has a wide variety of seafood especially lobster options which are practically non-existent in the city. Location and ambiance are terrific. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Everything we tasted was fabulous! Lobster...oysters...cocktails.Special Features:
- ExcellentBrowngirlDined on 10/10/2014Food was delicious. Not to noisy and your able to have a conversation while dining. A bit spendy but worth it for those special occasion's you want to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2014I was expecting more. My lobster tails just didn't seem to have much flavor for some reason. The fries were great. The brussels sprouts were over cooked and rather tough. Our server was knowledgeable, friendly and very professional.
- FlavorlessMissTDined on 10/6/2014Food was without flavor and to spendy for quality received. Service was great and greatly appreciated by all. Too bad the food was less than par.
- What a find!vandyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Tucked away in this quiet neighborhood hides an amazing lobster heaven! The preparation is top notch and the menu offers a wide variety of seafood and shellfish options, as well as steak entrees. The cloudy tank? This is the perfect home for those live lobsters---salt water!! Who knew this jewel was home to the best lobster we have had since we were on the East Coast!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow and expensiveSparkieDined on 10/4/2014Our table of four waited one hour and fourteen minutes to be served. A table of two ordered after us and was served before us. My wife's Hefewiezin was stale. Mine was crisp. I've had better lobster bisque several times. The prices are outrageous.
- Excellent FoodWantMorePleaseDined on 10/4/2014Have eaten here twice. Food is to Die for. Great Service, Great Drinks, Great Food, Great Desserts. Just be warned. The food is VERY Filling. :)Special Features:
- carolDined on 10/3/2014Lobster tail was stringy with almost cold butter. Coleslaw was soggy. Potatoes were ok. Dinner plate presentation was messy. Appeared chopped parsley sprinkled around with some paprika thrown on plate. Ugly and unappetizing. Service was slow as it appeared our waitperson was a bartender too. Steak was a typical cut of meat cooked as ordered.
- Foreverinluv12yearsDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful dinning experience at out recent visit. The food was perfect and the service was impeccable. We were greeted by one of the owners at the end of our meal and pleasantly surprised when he offered to buy us dessert, so we ended our evening with a baked alaska. We will defiantly be returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014The service was excellent. The lobster was amazing! All of our cocktails were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to have another lobster housecrit2dineVIPDined on 9/21/2014The ambience is a little sterile; it needs to be warmed up a bit; exterior of the building should be changed to make more of a nautical look; we had lobster rolls which were good; no fries included so you have to order them separately. Salads were so so; my Ceasar did not have enough garlic. The wait staff will all friendly and prompt, but not many people in the restaurant on an early Sunday evening. We will try it again for a full lobster which are from the east coast although some tails are from Honduras according to the waitress.Special Features:
- Great for birthday celebrationpleasedDined on 9/20/2014Friendly welcome and service. Great prices for the great quality and quantity of food you get. They gave complimentary delicious Baked Alaska for birthday dessert. Definitely going back!Special Features:
- Moms birthday dinnerBlossom001Dined on 9/7/2014We had great food and service. Mom is in a wheelchair and it was perfect for handicap accessibility.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster, lobster, lobsterLOJoanDined on 9/6/2014Limited menu....few choices expect for Lobster. VERY expensive. Not sure experience worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but little disappointingspritch2Dined on 8/29/2014First impression was not very good. Concrete floors and wooden tables and chairs pretty up the decor. The ceiling was high which amplified the noise. I ordered a "20-24 ounce" lobster. My wife ordered the Lobster Newburg.I will say I was disappointed as was my wife. The tail with shell may have weighed 20-24 ounces but I got little more meat that a standard 12 ounce lobster tail. My wife said her Newburg as good, but she has had better. For dessert I got the Creme Brule while my wife ordered Hershey Pie. The Creme Brule was excellent. The Hershey pie was disappointing. So here is the bottom line; great menu but expensive. Food is OK. Wait staff was great.Special Features:
- Really Good Seafooddirkman42Dined on 8/28/2014I haven't had seafood in a long time, this was a treat for me. The service and food was excellent. Had a really good time there. The restaurant itself was pretty quiet for a Thursday night.Special Features:
- Special Occasiontheatrepartyof6Dined on 8/28/2014It was our 55th wedding anniversary. They were so nice to us.Special Features:
- Great New Find in PortlandPDXBimmerboyDined on 8/25/2014We were celebrating my cousins birthday and she had chosen the Hawthorne Lobster House. I hadn't heard of it up until that night and I'm very happy that I found it. The food was incredible! I had a Rib Eye steak along with a 6 oz lobster tail. Choice of preparation and I chose the butter infused method. Was I ever glad I did. It was so sweet and wonderful. The steak was perfect as well and we joked with our server about it being that it came from an "Italian cow" as she first put it. The service was fantastic as well. A genuinely incredible experience and I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Lobster you can't do better!WillyjpDined on 8/25/2014Outstanding lobster perfectly prepared! The bisque is, as other reviews suggest, "to die for"! It may have been because we were hungry when we first arrived, and ate it first, but the "lobster bites" on the appetizer menu were especially delicious. Lobster tail main dishes were impeccable and delightful. We will definitely be back the next time we want lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snail ServicePDXFoodieDined on 8/24/2014On their menu they list fun facts. One of them is about Peaches, their chef, and his snails that he is parenting. I wonder if it was bring your kids to work night and he had the snails back there working with him. Some of the slowest service both in back of the house and in front of the house that I have experienced in Portland. Thankfully it was not a full night otherwise people might still be waiting for their food. The whole lobster was good, skip the bisque--too tomato soupish and skip the crème brulee--very soupy.
- Very nice. Really good serviceiceyMemphis526belleDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food and service. Rather pricey Lobster roll was great as was roasted corn with bacon and baked Alaska.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average to goodRebeccaVIPDined on 8/23/2014I wanted to love this place, the location is great. The wine list was mediocre, the red were all overpriced, too many Naked Winery options. I thought I ordered a Coleman Pinot for $33 and was charged $75 for the Coleman reserve. We orderd the the hot seafood platter for $75 as our entrees, some of the selections were delicious but the lobster tail and some of the crab legs were overcooked. The lobster roll appetizer was good, we got the cajun version, the favors were nice. The place was not busy which made the noise level perfect but the lighting is a bit bright. I expect a $175 for dinner for two to be great, and for the food to at least be cooked to perfection.
- Previous reviews correctOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014Our hostess and waitress were great ! The lobster roll was delicious, loved the skinny-cut fries and the coleslaw was good. Unfortunately, the large lobster tail was overcooked, just as most of the previous reviews had stated. I would love for this place to make it, but they need to read the reviews. Most are saying the "lobster was overcooked".
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Somewhat spendy but the Food was excellent and they had some very nice wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed our meal.Occasion65dinerDined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent. Staff were friendly We are looking forward to a return visit to sample different items from the menu and cocktail barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster with a capital "L" for :)ElaineDined on 8/15/2014We never got past the appetizers with a party of three with drinks and desserts! Everything was amazing and delicious! It was so hard to decide what to choose. Lobster cocktail (large portion and not overcooked), Lobster fondue, clams, mussels, lobster rolls, creme brûlée, berries with Vanilla Bean ice cream, and BAKED ALASKA (my favorite dessert). It was all amazing! Our waiter Nickolas was one of the best waiters we have had in a long time. (Including a trip to Europe recently.) One of the owners Shelly did an amazing feat of naming off all 50 states in alphabetical order in under 20 seconds and went on to talk about how the restaurant got started. We went there for a special occasion and were not disappointed. The prices were worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.