3200 Kirby Drive
Houston, TX 77098Neighborhood:
Upper Kirby / Shepherd Corridor
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.hawthornrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7135233600
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Riccardo Pallazzo- Giorgio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private rooms that can accommodate 14 and 10 comfortably.
- Private Party Contact: Cory Graff 7135233600
- Entertainment: Piano player on Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 7:00pm -10:00pm
A word from Hawthorn Restaurant
Hawthorn is an Upper Kirby restaurant serving a classic menu of handcrafted American cuisine. We offer a vast selection of wines from around the world, in an intimate and understated atmosphere. Our state-of-the-art digital wine adviser will walk you through the perfect food and wine pairings from our menu and our wine list - this helps take the guess work out for the novice and helps streamline a choice for the expert. Our chef uses only the freshest ingredients, in addition to making his own fresh pasta as well as all of our desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hawthorn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Reservation failOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2013I scheduled reservations at Hawthron more than a week in advance of my husband and my 6 year anniversary. We never received a confirmation call, their website is now an empty domain, and when I called the day of the reservation (at 3.30, 4:00, and 5.10-ten minutes after they opened)to try to confirm no one even answered the phone. I felt this was fortelling of the service i would receive if we went. So, I made reservations at another romantic local that I knew would have good service. I gave the overall expereince a 2 and not a 1 only to be fair in case they might have actually been good despite the nonexistance of reservation service and accessablity.
- Food was a huge disappointment,BDadDined on 5/15/2013Food was a huge disappointment, they ran out of scotch and i specifically called to see if they had some. POOR POOR SHOWING - I was very excited to eat here but the build was better than the experienceSpecial Features:
- We tried very hard to likeSmokeyVIPDined on 5/8/2013We tried very hard to like Hawthorne but the food and service were both terrible. The ambiance is wonderful and the wine list - though meager - is adequate.
- Superb, butRyanDined on 5/4/2013Pasta is, by far, the best in Houston! All Food was excellent, but menu list short. Would welcome larger selection. A bit short handed service wise, but the service we got was very good even if tight. Very good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, overpriced and mediocreGilliganDined on 5/4/2013The food is very good but the portions are small and the prices are high. The desserts are excellent but as expensive as an entree. The service is average and you need to work to get bread, get your table cleared and get anyone to come to the table.Special Features:
- As always outstanding food,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/27/2013As always outstanding food, fantastic room and exceptional service. Simo is a terrific server!!Special Features:
- This restaurant has a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/19/2013This restaurant has a lovely country club dining room feeling. It was quiet enough to talk and hear everyone without straining. I would definately go back. Loved the ambience, food and friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- Good food, but a rather limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2013Good food, but a rather limited wine list, with mostly unheard of winesSpecial Features:
- We loved this restaurant overall.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/19/2013We loved this restaurant overall. Food and service was very good, piano player and singer wonderful! Would have like more of a wine selection with some lower prices.Special Features:
- Play it Again, Sam!BeforeTheConcertVIPDined on 4/17/2013The restaurant is a little hard to find, but is well worth the effort! It is across the street from Carrabba's Italian Grill on Kirby Drive. They have an excellent piano player on a petite grand piano who plays all night long. It is very sophisticated and romantic. The food is excellent!Special Features:
- The new menu is stellar andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/16/2013The new menu is stellar and the service is impeccable. Wonderful, intimate, upscale dining experience.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2013This was our first visit, and it was wonderful on all fronts. The food, wine and service were excellent. Live music wasn't too loud and created a lovely ambiance. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Loved the restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/10/2013Loved the restaurant. The menu was a little limited for me, but I tend to be a picky eater and have food allergies. We were surprised by how empty it was given how nice it is.Special Features:
- You might check your locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/9/2013You might check your location description. It says N. Main, and the restaurant is on W. Main. Totally different streets.
- We left before ordering. AfterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2013We left before ordering. After being seated it was 15 minutes before we saw our waiter. He took drink orders and tried to take our dinner order at the same time. I told him I preferred to have a cocktail first. 15 minutes later he retuned without my wife's wine or my drink--and tried to take our dinner order again. We left.
- Please, sir, a bit of water...?bossgirl123Dined on 4/6/2013Service was as bad as any I have experienced in a long time. Ridiculously bad. Won't be back.
- Great food. Excellent service.ThefamilyDined on 3/30/2013Great food. Excellent service. Unique venue with live lounge singer.Special Features:
- Tucked away off Kirby, thisSky23Dined on 3/23/2013Tucked away off Kirby, this restaurant is a real find, so much so I hesitate to spread the word. The beef tartar is truly outstanding. However, entree portions are on the small side. Quality over quantity.Special Features:
- Bar service is fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/22/2013Bar service is fantastic. Cocktails innovative. Wine list needs help but I think there's a new buyer--please add more old-world wines.Special Features:
- Excellent service and outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2013Excellent service and outstanding food. They do not press to finish soon so you can take good 2 to 3 hours eating and chatting. Good quality food. I was actually very impress. Expensive but it is worthSpecial Features:
- The first thing one noticesGwf58VIPDined on 3/20/2013The first thing one notices is the incredibly overpriced wine list. Nothing under $180.00 on the tablet which we were presented! The waiter was supremely pompous and acted like he was doing us a big favor. The ambiance is wonderful though and the food some of the very best I have had in Houston. They MUST do something about the wine list and perhaps employ staff who enjoy actually serving patrons!!!!
- I enjoyed dining at HawthornOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013I enjoyed dining at Hawthorn Restaurant in terms of the food and the ambience. However, had it not been for the fact that we were there hosting someone on a special occasion, I would not have picked the restaurant. The food was very good, but the portion sizes were VERY small considering the VERY high prices being charged for the entrees. I also did not appreciate the prices being a la carte, so that it cost $10 extra to get a very small dinner salad that seemed to be overrun with shrubs instead of the usual items contained in a house salad. For a restaurant like this to be worth the price, it has to offer much more than this one did.
- This is my second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/13/2013This is my second time at Hawthorn's and I'm sorry to say that it wasn't as good as the first time. I had the mussels for appetizer, they were good but not great. My friend had the squid, too spicy and salty. I had the Tomato Pappardelle and was disappointed as well, way too salty. My friend had the lamb shank and she thought that was pretty good. What I really love about Hawthorn's is the atmosphere and how quiet it is so I can actually have a conversation without yelling. I also love the music that they play. Our waiter was really good as well. I will go back again and hope the food is better next time.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. For winos,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2013Food was excellent. For winos, please asked to speak to the sommelier. He had a lot of Italian wines that weren't on the list.Special Features:
- ExcellentSpiderVIPDined on 3/8/2013Excellent food, service, wine selection and ambienceSpecial Features:
- Came to celebrate late ValentinesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013Came to celebrate late Valentines Day and was disappointed. Wine list on a tablet was limited and i'm still partial to a nice menu you can open and file through. When asked if there was a drink menu, there is none. I had the pork and my wife had the salmon. Salmon was too salty and pork was uninspired at best. Wait staff didn't make much effort to get to know us or make recommendations, etc. Very nice bar but poor/beginner modern art around the room cheapens the place..not to mention the cheasy live singing near the entrance. Very tough to find with unlighted sign at the top of the side of the building. I would NOT recommend wasting time or effort to find or go to Hawthorn. If your looking for a new spot go to Trinity or Ibiza.
- The Staff could not have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013The Staff could not have been more accomodating. We showed up early for our reservation, but were seated immediately. The waiter was absolutely attentive to everyone he was waiting for. He ensured we were comfortable, imparted suggestions when asked, extremely knowledgable of the menu and wine parings. His timing of the courses was impecable. I found your restaurant beyond my expectations. Continue to strive for excellence and this restaurant will be here very a VERY long time. Thank you Hawthorn for one of the best dining experiences I have ever had.
- Just as good!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013I have visited the restaurant before with a larger group; my experience was just as good for this special occasion with two.Special Features:
- Lots of hype, kind of disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/13/2013Lots of hype, kind of disappointing. Food was very good, but overpriced for what it was.Special Features:
- Food very average and VERYOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013Food very average and VERY expensive for the quality...will not be back.
- the food is good for the mostnibblesVIPDined on 2/8/2013the food is good for the most part- the waiter was rather pretentious and service was very slow. There was a large group at the bar who stood behind us until seated making it uncomfortable as they were crowded close by. I do not think the restuarant lives up to the glowing reviews-the menu is rather limited, the atmosphere is lounge like and dark-maybe for a younger set. They cellar all their wines so one must wait for white wine to be chilled before serving. The waiter never came by to see if anything was needed-hence one of our group got no main course, as he had to wait to send back his plate and we had all finished by then, so he requested it to be removed from the bill which they did.Special Features:
- Very nice ambience, hiddenOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/5/2013Very nice ambience, hidden toward the back of a building on a busy street. The salad was overpriced, however, the stuffed quail appetizer, tomato pappardelle with braised short ribs, and scallop dishes were delicious! We sat at a table, but the bar area looked like a really nice spot to grab a drink.Special Features:
- We arrived on time and wereMalandroDined on 2/2/2013We arrived on time and were seated right away. We had requested a table in one of the smaller areas away from the main dining area as it is easier to talk. Our waiter arrived quickly and took our cocktail order. I ordered a salad and steak tartare for my meal. Both were excellent. We had a bottle of red wine that was the least expensive on the menu but it was good. The wine list is expensive. I will go back again.Special Features:
- Dede and BrianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2013My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed Hawthorn - loved the ambience, intimate table settings set in an elegant, yet unstuffy, space. The food was exquisite and the service was very attentive, friendly and unobtrusive. Best part of our visit is the discovery of a fine restautant that seems to cater to a maturer crowd - no pounding music making it possible to have wonderful conversation to add to an elegant dinning experience!Special Features:
- Great Secluded FindJerryKDined on 1/26/2013First time here and I was impressed as soon as we arrived. Not a huge resteraunt which I think helps to keep it very nice. Great food, great service, good value. My wife and I loved it. It is marked now in my book as a must go to.Special Features:
- SurprisedChbsjdiiejebsnjsjsjzjsDined on 1/25/2013I was pleasently surprised by this place. From the exterior, it is not inviting, but once inside it is beautiful. Since the street sign on Kirby is not visible, and the entrance is on the back side of the building, it was difficult to find. I drove past it several times trying to find it, which was VERY frusterating! The food was excelent, but the menu is very limited. The portion sizes are not listed, so we were surprised how small the steak was for the price. Over all, it was a good experience and I think this place has great potential, IF they can get drive by recognition and expand their menu. Oh, and get your fire feature up front repaired!Special Features:
- The Beef Tartar was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/23/2013The Beef Tartar was excellent with all the classic fixings. The risotto of the evening was gorgonzola and pine nuts and it was perfectly cooked, a little creamy with excellent flavor. My husband had soup of the day and the crabcakes were fantastic. We were a little bit disappointed with the dessert, the Russian torte. It tasted good, but we thought it was more of a cake (as is said in the description) than a torte. We would have expected a more refined type of dessert at a place like this. With that said, the overall experience was very pleasant and I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Loved it. Food, atmosphere,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/23/2013Loved it. Food, atmosphere, wine and service great. Made for a superb evening. Thanks. Will recommend to friends.Special Features:
- The Hawthorn provides a lovelyMarksDined on 1/19/2013The Hawthorn provides a lovely atmosphere, a wonderful diverse menu that is not only pleasing to the eyes but such an excitement to the palate. It is truely a great restaurant that my wife and I will be frequenting at least several times a year. We have recommended to everyone of our friends so we hope they enjoy it as much as we do. The service is excellent and we wish that it was like that in all restaurants. Very attentive, informed servers and the manager makes sure that he stops by at least once during your meal. Great personal touch. My wife stated that she would love to work in such a place when she graduates from culinary school.Special Features:
- Hunt this one out, its hidden.OuchVIPDined on 1/18/2013What a nice surprise. Find this place, you wont see it driving down the street, its hidden behind another restaurant. The interior is beautiful, the hostess was helcoming and lovely. Thje bartender (pre-dinner) was charming & accomodating. The meal was so delicious. We will be back. tell people (but not too many, we want a table whenever we want one)Special Features: