507 Miller Avenue
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hawkstavern.com/
- Phone: 4153883474
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joe Waggoner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
A word from Hawk's Tavern
A casual eating and drinking establishment serving pub-inspired, locally-sourced favorites (such as the Hawk Burger, Fish & Chips, Bangers and Mash) in an all-day menu. A local watering hole, Hawk’s Tavern encourages guests to stop in for their favorite pint and a leisurely game of dominoes on the porch.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Hawk's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- Maybe all items are cookedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2012Maybe all items are cooked to order and that takes time, but it seemed liked the staff was pushing more wine than food. The food, however, was excellent when it arrived.Special Features:
- Give your review a titleGeneVIPDined on 11/4/2012The food was good but the service was lacking. Not quit what I was expecting from a restaurant with Tyler's name associated with it.
- Unfortunately StillMissing the MarkCJFMVIPDined on 11/4/2012This place has such promise but never delivers, especially on the food. We want to love it: it is close to home and has a nice outdoor space and very warm interior but, after several tries, we cannot recommend it wholeheartedly. Some of the items on the menu are very good and it is a nice spot for lunch outdoors so we will probably keep coming now and then, hoping for a positive change that will turn us into "regulars." Some things that would be nice: more menu choices (one omelet on the brunch menu will never appeal to everyone!), more flavor (the food falls flat; nothing bad about it; just not very tasty or interesting), more variety on the plate (back to that omelet: a blinding amount of white space on that plate!)Special Features:
- There for lunch Sat Nov 3,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/3/2012There for lunch Sat Nov 3, 2012. Very over rated. Vegetables served appeared to be wilted or perhaps prepared way in advance. Eggs undercooked in one of the dishes. Surprised how they could have so many higher reviews. Would recommend going down the street to Whole Foods and pick up a better lunch.
- Great dinner and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/29/2012Tyler Florence never disappoints! I'm not usually a salad person but the Hawk's Tavern salad with ahi was the best I've ever had. The sticky toffee pudding was also wonderful. Our server was great - helpful, accommodating, even when we took forever to agree on an appetizer. Great spot and we'll be returning to try happy hour!Special Features:
- Charm is a good thing!ForgetVIPDined on 10/26/2012I like this place and will continue to return. Occasionally the service is spotty which can be frustrating but the Tavern has something that makes it very appealing. I think it may be the charm of the owner as well as the different places to sit. The food is also pretty good. We like it at Hawks as we always have a good time.Special Features:
- Excellent service, welcomingHereNowDined on 10/24/2012Excellent service, welcoming decor, and top notch food and wine led to a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Paella, perfect. Paillard,delightfuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2012Paella, perfect. Paillard,delightful. Bourgund beef, best we ever tasted. The service was excellent, the wine list fun, varied, special, but mostly the so reasonably priced meal was sensational. Our new favorite place for sure.Special Features:
- Food portions too small forpaul42VIPDined on 10/20/2012Food portions too small for price - especially entree fish portions; shrimp entree consisted of tiny shrimp with little sauce - was bad and without any taste or character.Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphere, great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/19/2012Cozy atmosphere, great food, good service! Our food came out promptly even though the place was packed. Portions were perfect size - not too big, not too small. Delish!Special Features:
- Great local tavern with excellentMVFanVIPDined on 10/12/2012Great local tavern with excellent and well priced food. Nice combinations, they make their own sparkling water which for a reasonably priced restaurant is quite a nice surprise and wines/beers are not outrageously overpriced like so many other restaurants.Special Features:
- Welcome addition to the neighborhooscrappy113VIPDined on 10/10/2012A new favorite! Great addition to the neighborhood. But they need to instruct the servers NOT to add wine to glasses without asking first.Special Features:
- I want to love Hawk's Tavern.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/1/2012I want to love Hawk's Tavern. It's in my neighborhood and I love the ambiance. But the food is just too heavy. I am not afraid of butter or a rich meal, but I had large amounts of grease dripping out of my sandwich during my last visit. And on our prior visit, both my husband and I felt our salads and entrees were also overloaded with oil or butter.
- Would do better if open forBEDWSVIPDined on 9/12/2012Would do better if open for breakfast. Mill Valley needs a place where Business people can go for breakfast that isn't a Diner type place.
- Definitely go for the salmonOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/7/2012Definitely go for the salmon salad. It's amazing! The homemade chips are also worth splurging on. The waitress forgot to put my dressing on the side, it was the only request I had and she never realized, but luckily it was dressed lightly so it worked out. Important to note: Parking can be difficult to find, there are parking spots behind the restaurant, shared with the residents; and of course there is street parking as well.Special Features:
- Fantastic findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2012I had a delicious dinner here with two girlfriends. The atmosphere is warm and unpretentious, whether you're sitting in the bar, the outdoor heated patio, or the main dining room. The wine specials by the bottle are a great value. The free, fresh out of the oven baked pretzel was a perfect way to start.The food was outstanding. I had the wild salmon over creamed corn and mushrooms, my friend had the pork ribs and my other friend had a big bowl of tomato soup. Would definitely come back again! And again!Special Features:
- Nice casual, reasonably pricedtruemavenVIPDined on 9/4/2012Nice casual, reasonably priced spot. Small menu. The salmon dish was 5 stars, but ribs were just 2. Very friendly service. They are trying hard.Special Features:
- We had an after the theatreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2012We had an after the theatre meal there and it was just right. The fish and chips are delightfully light and the fish was flaky and fresh, with great tartar sauce as well as malt vinegar. The "appetizer" cioppino was larger than expected and exceptionally delicious, if somewhat different from others in its seasoning. We got a good bottle of wine with the help of their sommelier and it was a great experience. There were not many people there at 9:30 on a Sunday night, so it was quiet and easy to talk. I suspect that's not always true.
- It was good but not great.abcsdcDined on 9/1/2012It was good but not great. I expected more (I guess) in the way of local farmer offerings and Tyler Florence wines. I must admit I'm spoiled after dining at Wayfare Tavern multiple times!Special Features:
- I brought my mom for an earlyMillvalleymomDined on 8/31/2012I brought my mom for an early dinner as she was visiting from out of town. This is my third or fourth visit. I found the pannzanella salad to be far too heavy with croutons -where were the beets? I had found it delightful on previous visits but it was not this time. The turkey burger was very dry unlike the last time I ordered it. We enjoyed the pretzel; not because it was complimentary. Our server was energetic but gushed on about the wine list. She didn't seem to be very knowlegeable about the different wines.Special Features:
- The service was gracious.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2012The service was gracious. The food was okay but a little expensive for what you get. I didn't care for the idea that we had to eat outside for happy hour--especially since it was cold out there, even with the heater.
- Great service, really likedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2012Great service, really liked dark tavern-ish but still enough visibility lighting. Food good but nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- I was disappointed in theJayWVIPDined on 8/19/2012I was disappointed in the food. I had the warm mushroom salad, which was interesting. It had the potential of being really good, but it was greasy. I think that the food is overpriced for what you get. The restaurant has a nice ambience and if you are there with a group of people, you are able to talk without loud music or bad acoustics drowning out the conversation.
- Great wine list with affordableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2012Great wine list with affordable Napa Valley wines. The serivice was fantastic, our server was friendly and very accomodating. We never had to ask for anything. The ambiance and the intimate dining rooms were really done well(design-wise) and very warm and comfortable. The caesar salad was to die for, I will definitly go back.Special Features:
- I hadnt been to Hawks TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2012I hadnt been to Hawks Tavern in awhile and went with a friend for dinner. I arrived first and was seated, but told "sorry, we don't have any menus right now." They also told my friend I hadnt arrived so I had to get up to get her. I spilled water while waiting and requested another napkin. It took 3 requests and only when the food had arrived. 2 girls next to us had food which had dropped on the table and when they cleared the plates, no one cleared the food. They actually had to eat their dessert with leftover food on the table which wasn't too appetizing for them or for us who were seated fairly close to them. My meal was great, the salmon had a perfect sear and the flavors were complex. They need to get their service dialed in.Special Features:
- This was my second try atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2012This was my second try at this place and I am so unimpressed. The menu is ok, the food though is really standard and over priced for what you get for sure. And both times we had horrible service.It's too bad that Tyler Florence's name is attached, it really doesn't come close to El Paseo at all.
- waiters consistently for everyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2012waiters consistently for every table in our area brought the wrong food. Worst service in a restaurant in a long time
- Wonderful food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2012Wonderful food, great service, really nice experience. Loved the fish and chips! Salad was huge and enough to share. Loved this place and price was very reasonable.Special Features:
- A solid brunch choice. AberkstinVIPDined on 8/11/2012A solid brunch choice. A bit strange as it was a Saturday morning and the place was completely empty, but good service and the food was tasty.Special Features:
- Excellent fish and chips!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2012Excellent fish and chips! Also, great salad with warm mshrooms, arugula, watercress, and poached egg. The cheeseburger was very well cooked and quite tasty. Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- Food was great. ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/4/2012Food was great. Excellent wine list with great prices!Special Features:
- Has the relaxed feeling ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2012Has the relaxed feeling of a pub or lodge. Great wine selection and excellent prices, the sommelier gave us very good advice and he brought up price as a selling point. Waitress was charming, attentive and informative. You can make a meal of starters and salads, if you don't want main dishes. This was our second visit and we will be back.Special Features:
- Don't let the service slip...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/3/2012This is the 4th time I've been there...and it didn't live up to the prior visits. The mushroom salad was still amazing, but the broccoli came with so many hot pepper flakes on it that it was inedible. The waitress took it off our bill, even without our asking, which was nice. The waitress argued about the wine - which was unnecessary, and she made a "mistake" about the bill when she brought the tag for signature. The staff has always been attentive, friendly and courteous on other visits, so maybe this was just a bad night for the person helping us.Special Features:
- Booths accomodate partiesdukeofdiningDined on 8/3/2012Booths accomodate parties nicely who wish to visit and noise level low which is a nice change. Sandwiches were good (generous size) and the fries great! Joined by my husband later and he had a Ceasar salad at the bar and that was excellent --good with fried capers! Nice having a happy hour menu also. Good service--friendly, efficient. Good setting and a smaller dining room which would work for private parties.Special Features:
- I really liked this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2012I really liked this place however i have talked to a few friends that did not; not sure why maybe an off nightSpecial Features:
- Had a reservation on SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2012Had a reservation on Saturday evening and probably didn't need one. The waiter was very pleasant. I had the Bistro Filet and it was cooked perfectly but lacked flavor. My husband had the Turkey Burger and was very happy with it. I had a glass of wine with my dinner and at $15 a glass I was disappointed that it was only a third full! Overall it was a nice experience but, not sure we would dine here again.
- We had very friendly attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/28/2012We had very friendly attentive service. It is clean and a little more contemporary than most typical 'taverns.' And, food was what you'd expect at such a place however, kind of tavern-like--a little greasy and nothing special.Special Features:
- Had a light dinner with myFoodLoverVIPDined on 7/25/2012Had a light dinner with my guy friend where we shared the ABC salad and the filet steak dish along with an excellent bottle of wine. The waiter who came over to help us select our wine (manager?) was very knowledgeable about the wines and he helped us select a great Pinot noir which was offered at an amazingly low price! I've since looked up the wine we had and it sells for $3 less than we paid. The wines are high quality and they don't mark them way up like other restaurants. In fact, we were told that one wine that goes for $150 at Pico's, is only $50 at HT! Our meal was very good, wait staff very attentive but not all over us, and we ate in the outdoor section which was only noisy from trucks going by, not other diners' conversations.Special Features:
- delicious food, minimal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/24/2012food was terrific, but the service really affected the experience. i had invited a friend who'd never been there, and actually was rather embarrassed. it took forever to even get water poured into our glasses. waitress eventually arrived to take order, and was nice and apologized that they happened to be understaffed, but..... wow. i even noticed/heard a gentleman at next table get up and go get someone to try to get some attention to his table. it was a weeknight, and the place wasn't ultra crowded, but they just couldn't seem to handle it. food was delicious, and fortunately i was with a patient friend, but i now feel uncertain whether to return....Special Features:
- Is Tyler over-extended? (ThinkMillvalleymomDined on 7/22/2012Is Tyler over-extended? (Think we know the answer.) We had a terrible and very expensive dinner at El Paseo not long ago but decided to try out this other restaurant as it seems to be popular lately. We ordered a beet salad to share and the server didn't bring any extra utensils. I don't think I am a particularly fussy person but it would have been nice if he anticipated our needs. At most restaurants in Mill Valley if you ask to share they will actually split the portion on two separate plates without asking. I won't elaborate but it was an expensive casual meal for me and my daughter. Hard to believe I paid $6.00 for two mini diet cokes with the server constantly appologizing for not having clean glasses or a box for my take home.Special Features: