Hawaii Prince - Hakone
100 Holomoana Street
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Hawaii Prince - Hakone
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.princeresortshawaii.com/hawaii-prince-hakone.php
- Phone: 8089444494x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Friday - Sunday: 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masami Shimoyama
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Contact: Dining Reservations 8089444494x
A word from Hawaii Prince - Hakone
Chef Masami Shimoyama brings the authentic cuisine of Japan to the tranquil and picturesque setting of Hakone. Enjoy his delicate creations for dinner. Wednesday thru Sunday, Sushi Dinner Buffet; limited ala carte.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Hawaii Prince - Hakone - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Hawaii Prince - Hakone reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (11)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)romantic (2)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Food not as diversified as the menuvhsaabDined on 9/5/2014We went there on a Friday night and on the menu where it includes sukiyaki, but it didn't. It was a big disappointment.Special Features:
- Nice and quietOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Very respectful atmosphere. Great selection of food. Friendly service. Couldn't ask for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining for Sushi and UniPenguinDined on 8/22/2014The food was amazing and highly recommended, especially if you are an adventurous eater. The Uni (Sea Urchin) was amazing and I went back for thirds, the best I have had in a long time. I ate many things that I am not sure what it was, the signage is more Japanese than English, but everything was amazingly good and an adventure. The Sushi chef was great explaining what was available and making Sushi and Maki while you watched. A bit pricey but worth it for a fun/special night out for anyone who loves to explore fun new foods, especially seafood and sushi. Make sure and book early as reservations fill up quickly. P.S. Make sure you are hungry, a day of snorkeling will get you ready;-)Special Features:
- jmkfDined on 8/21/2014The food was better when we ate there 2 years ago.Special Features:
- A lot of MSG?! Very thirsty...DCDCDined on 7/30/2014Had buffet, and sake sampler. Got home and felt so thirsty. Drank a lot of water until noon next day... Proabably some dishes have a lot of MSG...
- Same food againLuvtoeatDined on 7/27/2014They need mix it up , always same but a little less every time I goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy CustomerHappyCustomerDined on 7/26/2014Haven't been to Hakone in many years and finally had the chance to go again. Will definitely be coming back more often for uni, tempura, sashimi and steak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, But ...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Beware .... rather than using open table, you should CALL the restaurant to make your reservations. We got bumped the night before and I almost got stuck with a large party and no table. The hostess said they have a problem with reservations on open table. Thankfully though, they eventually accommodated us. The food is GREAT. The sushi and sashimi is spectacular. So, its worth the visit.Special Features:
- Personable service, yet buffet4koolinaDined on 7/23/2014Food and its quality are very good, no doubt about it. The way workers are constantly replenishing buffet table and efficiency they carried out their tasks which cannot go unnoticed. It was satisfying evening treating family members.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues To Impress!KawikaDined on 7/2/2014We have been here at least 8 times over the past 5 years, and Hakone has never disappointed us nor the new people we have brought to Hakone. It continues to impress us with the quality and attention to detail in food freshness, preparation and presentation. If you have not been here, you must go, and especially try the sushi buffet dinner which is available normally on Wed and Thr evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HakoneWendyDined on 6/26/2014Food is high quality, service is a little slow and sushi line takes a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sushi buffet? not!KetomamaVIPDined on 6/21/2014We have dined at Hakone long tine ago and had very good impression. so when we needed a place for farewell for our elderly friends, we were excited to hear about the Sushi buffet. But it was crowded, for sushi we had to stand in line for 15+ minutes to get 6 sushi we were limited to and neta was very skimppy. It would have been mire satisfying to eat at Genki sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese Food!WorththepriceDined on 6/14/2014My daughter and I took my husband there for Father's Day. He just thoroughly enjoyed it! Although their was a wait, he especially loved the sushi bar. He love the hamachi wrapped on shiso leaf. We had window seating, so the view was very beautiful of the boats in the water. My daughter and I loved the way they make their oden. Hack one also had a fantastic variety of dessertsSpecial Features:
- Great foodLexusDined on 6/7/2014Very good Japanese food, best sashimi, good and healthy tofuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!SSYAVIPDined on 6/1/2014loved the beef tataki nigiri sushi! something new besides the awesome hotate & maguro nigiri. i also got a lovely birthday ice cream bonbon treat. thank you, Grace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 79 reviews are from the Hawaii Prince - Hakone reviews archive.
- freshly made sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2014The fish and the shell fish are rather fresh. It's a good value for the unlimited sushi and other typical Japanese cooked food. The dessert has varieties too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 美味しいchamDined on 4/24/2014日本人も日系も多く 安心していけるお店です シニアディスカウントもあって良いです ハワイでリピしてます 年配も家族がいる場合とても喜ばれると思います オススメです
- Great food and great serviceSuzakuangel12Dined on 4/4/2014Can't go wrong with great food (in quality AND quantity) and friendly service! Then even gave me a little ice cream dessert for my birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy Buffetjayare808Dined on 3/29/2014The buffet was very nice and classy but I didn't like standing in line for sushi. The king crab legs were terrible. I opened a few that had NOTHING inside. How does that happen??? I expect much better quality and quantity for the price.Special Features:
- Delicious Food, Quality Sushi!jooniusDined on 3/23/2014My family and I enjoyed our dinner at Hakone and were impressed by the great service and delicious food. The sushi was really high quality and on our occasion, it was the highlight of the night. Also, the line was very short...and we had heard otherwise, so we were very excited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A costly but quiet buffetshimaDined on 3/21/2014The restaurant is small and the buffet has a small variety of choices, but their quality was good Good amaebi the sushi bar is definitely worth a try. Not much outside view, but the Japanese style decor was interesting. Occasionally some people will bring their kids, not too many tourists for some reason...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Japanese BuffetHakoneFanDined on 2/22/2014There's not much places to eat good Japanese food buffet style. I always enjoy coming to Hakone on special occasions. I always satisfy my craving for sushi. The hamachi sashimi and nigiri sushi is good quality and they have toro nigiri and Amaebi nigiri too! They also serve crab legs, oden, shabu shabu, and more...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit shortbcpiDined on 2/15/2014For a buffet, it was a bit disappointing that the restaurant could not keep up with the demand for crab legs, tempura, tempura sauce and special sushi. You almost had to wait by the serving tray to have any of those items when it came out of the kitchen. Selection at the sushi bar was pretty good--the wait could be a bit long since there was no limit as to how much someone could order. If they can solve these problems, it would have been an excellent evening since the other hot dishes and salads were great.
- Best buffet on the island.GFBdayDined on 2/12/2014Best buffet on the island. Sushi chef is excellent. Great variety and yummy dessertsSpecial Features:
- Bad food, not sure if a 1 off dayRamSFOVIPDined on 1/15/2014The food quality was bad, for an upscale Japanese restaurant charging $50 plus for buffet, it was not worth it. I would have not paid more than $15 for it. I had the best food in Hawaii this trip, but this was the only worst experience. There is much better out there.
- Excellent Service and FoodRynsDined on 12/25/2013Very organized and professional atmosphere for this occasion. Excellent service and the food was fantastic for the Christmas feast. The restaurant moved to the ballroom to accommodate more guests for the dinner which made it very roomy and lots of private space for your party. The entertainment was just right and the noise level was quiet to hear our conversations. Great choice to have our family Christmas dinner. Will be returning for more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas DinnerBruncherDined on 12/25/2013Great attentive service. Food was delicious, however they tended to run out of food fast and there were several trays empty each time I went up to the buffet. Granted it was Christmas and a buffet...and possibly an indication on how tasty the food was since ran out often. Good live music...would be nice though if he played more local music or holiday music, instead of the theme from Mission Impossible, etc. All in all, my family had a great dinner at Hakone and we will be back again.Special Features:
- Taking into account that thisakiraDined on 12/24/2013Taking into account that this was Xmas Eve and the dinner was held in an adjacent ballroom and not the restaurant, i thought the food/service/ambience was only fair. From friends' reports, i was expecting more in all these categories. Maybe caught Hakone's on a bad day. Don't think it's worth the money to return
- Good Xmas Eve DinnerWahiawaJoggerDined on 12/24/2013Hakone has great food and an ok 'sushi bar'. But, for the xmas eve dinner, price was a little higher for the holiday celebration. They did add a small prime rib carving station and a few extras, but not certain it was quite worth the increase in the cost. The set-up was now in ballroom to accommodate lots of us - that's nice, but there was only a 1 man band. Will surely return to Hakone Restaurant.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT CHRISTMAS BUFFET...LOVEDUNAPPRECIATEDDined on 12/24/2013EXCELLENT CHRISTMAS BUFFET...LOVED THE DESSERTS, especially the Buche de Noel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hakone in a Banquet Hall?MrpHawaiiDined on 12/24/2013I have been to the Hakone seafood buffet at the "real" location many times, which has always been excellent. Unfortunately due to the demand on Christmas they moved their seating to a banquet room. Food was still very good, but the atmosphere just isn't the same. No view of the harbor, no Japanese fixtures. The poor waitress we had could not handle multiple tables of 5, 6 or 7 diners.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised and disappointedHackerDined on 12/24/2013The online Xmas Eve menu(s) showed a limited off-the-menu and $57/head buffet. The day before Xmas Eve, I got a confirmation call from Hakone. I was surprised to be told that it would be buffet-only at $70. It was too late to make other arrangements. We were seated in a drab meeting room, not in the restaurant. Service was not great (i.e. I had to grab a setting from an empty table, we were ignored for long periods, and I could not get my tab right away). I felt our server was disappointed that we did not order tip-increasing bar drinks and felt this affected our service. The food was very good, but buffet platters stayed empty for too long. The 2 sushi chefs were outstanding, but overwhelmed by the demand (10+ minute waits).Special Features:
- Excellent Waitress ServiceHappyDinerVIPDined on 12/22/2013Enjoyed another visit to this restaurant. Our waitress Jasmin was cheerful and anticipating our desires without intruding our small party. Sashimi buffet was excellent and the buffet was replenished regularly and quickly. Our only disappointment was the made to order sushi chef. With only one sushi chef, the line moved slowly and he was not very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, relaxing atmosphere.luv2dineoutDined on 12/15/2013Good food, relaxing atmosphere. Didn't feel rushed. A group of friends getting together to celebrate holiday season. It was a good deal since we got to use the Mahalo card for a 20% discount for 6 people. Waitress was very nice and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuffetJolabeDined on 12/14/2013We had a late dinner and the restaurant couldn't keep up with refilling the buffet tables. Many times the dishes were empty and you had to wait and wait for them to refill it. It seemed as though the chef couldn't keep up or because we were dining late, they didn't want to cook too much. But the restaurant was full, so many people needed to eat yet. Also, the lone sushi chef was overwhelmed and the wait in line was long. The food is good at Hakone, but the service needs to be improved especially when they charge $54 per person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeFridaynightdinersDined on 12/5/2013I've always thought about going to Hakone, but usually ended up at Prince Court. This time we really wanted to eat Sashimi and thought Hakone would be better. YES! Loved it. Having great Hamachi sashimi on the buffet bar was the best surprise ever! The fish was really good. The crab is better at Prince Court. The sushi is better at Hakone because it was nigiri style. The hand roll at Prince Court has industrial strength nori which is hard to eat. Desserts...not that great at Hakone. The service and accommodating staff was great!!!!!.Special Features:
- I'd give Hakone's food 5 starsKylaDined on 11/1/2013I'd give Hakone's food 5 stars if they didn't run out of salmon before 7pm. The sushi quality is excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Japanese buffet especiallywdsddsVIPDined on 10/27/2013Great Japanese buffet especially with a sushi chef that will make your nigiri sushi right there with fresh fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive For A Just OK FoodLocalGuestDined on 10/6/2013Totally overrated and expensive for what you get for your money. Will not be returning or recommend this restaurant to anyone I know.
- Don't miss the weekend Sushi BuffetDrewEatsHonoluluDined on 10/4/2013To be honest sushi buffets are *usually* something to avoid in town. At other places the emphasis is on quantity rather than quality. The Sushi Buffet at Hakone (Prince Hotel, Waikiki) (weekends only) is something completely different. The emphasis is on getting fresh authentic sushi. The food is excellent. The service is good. The only drawback is that they are often full when I want to make a reservation (so maybe I shouldn't post a review). The shabu-shabu, sashimi, tasty desserts (I like the bread pudding and fruits) are also pleasant breaks from eating only sushi. In the last year they added crab too, although that varies due to quality, which is understandable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.