44 Webster St. (At Embarcadero West)
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havenoakland.com/
- Phone: (510) 663-4440
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday, 5:00-7:00 PM
Wednesday-Sunday, 5:00-10:00 PM
Sunday: 10:30 AM- 2:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Kim Alter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Haven is now open for Brunch! The menu is served family-style for $25 per person.
Sample Brunch Menu
Lox, pickled beets
Granola, yogurt, fresh strawberries
Veggie Fritata fresh from the market
Waffles, fresh peaches, pecans
- Cross Street: Embarcadero W.
- Public Transit: Free bus at both Webster and Broadway at Embarcadero. Civic Center and Lake Merritt BART stations are just a few blocks walk. Coming from San Francisco? Consider taking the Ferry over since it drops you right at in Jack London.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available on Webster as it terminates at Embarcadero in the Jack London Square courtyard. Street parking is often available, and there is a $6 dollar lot just South of the restaurant building on Embarcadero at Harrison. We also validate for the Broadway parking garage.
A word from Haven
Located in Oakland’s Jack London Square, Haven is the third restaurant in the DPG (Daniel Patterson Group) family of restaurants. Serving creative new Californian cuisine from Executive Chef Charlie Parker, the menu features craveable, technique-driven food including whole animal and vegetable preparations, shareable plates, and delicious desserts. Our nightly odds & ends specials offer tasty surprises and the craft cocktails, local beer and stellar wine list from our bar give plenty of options to wash it all down with. As always, our dining room and patio provide beautiful bay views as a backdrop for your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)scenic view (69)special occasion (61)great for outdoor dining (59)neighborhood gem (52)hot spot (39)romantic (38)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (27)great for brunch (13)late-night find (8)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great - as usualJanButlerVIPDined on 11/21/2014We have eaten here several times and it is consistently very good. Foodie friends from SF, who never come to Oakland, were wowed by the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2014We had a very early dinner before sending an out of town guest on his way. Since it was dark already we missed out on the view of the estuary but the ambiance was warm and comfy. And the food was outstanding - a combo of comfort food and elegance. Great flavors, unusual yet very workable combinations, terrific service. We will definitely enjoy again the haven created at Haven!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food from Chef Mendes and partnering chefsWine500VIPDined on 11/18/2014Didn't disappoint, actually blew us away! Amazing flavors and combinations that were new & imaginative. Yet, comforting and wanting more after each bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/13/2014The squid appetizer was fantastic. Also the mushroom, risotto dish. The ragu was very, very al dente and the desserts were just ok. The apple cobbler dish was missing some flavor. Hope to be lucky enough to come back soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Dinner SuccessMaxineDined on 11/12/2014I hadn't been to the Jack London area for quite some time and was pleasantly surprised with what's going on. Haven in particular was great for a business dinner. Valet parking was available though more of a walk than I'd have liked because it was raining. The service at Haven was terrific, we were offered complimentary sparkling water right after being seated and a bottle of it was left on the table and refilled as needed. There are not a lot of options on the menu, but the flavors are wonderful (the Monterey Squid and Chorizo!!) and there is something for everyone (beef, chicken, fish and veggie) and all prepared with flair. The desserts were a perfect finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent & inventive-the real dealRichieRichDined on 11/9/2014Went here for a dinner date with my wife to try something different based on all the positive reviews. The offerings are unique, our waiter was attentive, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic (in a charming and nerdy way) about the menu and his recommendations. All was stellar - the presentation, textures, and flavors are the mark of a head chef who is serious about his craft and a staff who shares his passion and enthusiasm. What's more, there's not the slightest hint of pretension or elitism and the prices are reasonable. This place looks nice, is wonderful for dining, moderately hip, and the drinks and food from appetizers to entrees to desserts are remarkable. Aside from disappointingly being out of a few items, nothing to complain about.Special Features:
- really great food.meatchefDined on 11/9/2014We we're promptly seated and started with great drinks, and even better food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!zucchinitimeDined on 11/8/2014Food was excellent. Highly recommend if you are looking for a spot in Jack London square. Unfortunately, one of our dishes must have been forgotten, and we waited quite a while for entrees to come out, cold. All the dishes were still inventive and extremely fresh. The wait was probably just a fluke. Would try again!Special Features:
- An extremely unmemorable $300 meal!BigFoodieDined on 11/8/2014The food was nothing special, portions small, cocktails VERY unsatisfying despite being marketed as "hand crafted," service was atrocious - our server left for about 20 mins, simply disappeared between dinner and dessert course- and the restaurant was so loud i couldnt hear my friends even though we were in a booth. Haven needs to try a whole lot harder for what they charge and for what people expect! A huge waste of a lot of $$$ & what was supposed to be a special evening out. Sad!
- Service IssuesOL2HVIPDined on 11/8/2014Saturday was our second visit to Haven following a superb evening last Month. We were not so lucky this time. The food was great, and prepared just to our liking. However, they can't seem to get it out of the kitchen. It took nearly one hour between the time our first and second courses arrived. Judging by the huge crowd near the front entry door, as we departed, I would presume that Haven is having difficulty turning the tables and honoring reservations in a timely manner as a result of their kitchen issues. Seems to my untrained eye that they have plenty of cookstaff and ample waitstaff to compliment the beautiful open kitchen. Everyone seems to be working hard. The service issue must be management related.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but....SusanDined on 11/5/2014Service is slow. Too bad. Otherwise, i'd be there often.Special Features:
- MferVIPDined on 11/2/2014Burrata beets and quinoa is a joy. The cocktails esp barrel aged bourbon are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Menu focused on great local seasonal foods; knowledgeable wait staff who were friendly and helpful but not pushy or over-eager; very nice wine pairings from around the world. Right on the water at Jack London Square, with large windows. A nice place for a walk before or after your meal. We took our son and spouse to Haven for his 30th birthday, and are very glad we did. No regrets, no weak spots.Special Features:
- Quintessential California cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/31/2014Seasonal and healthy, but also very inventive and delicious. I was impressed with how balanced and hearty our entrees were. The pork (a loin cut with the addition of a lovely, insulating layer of fat and some crackling) on caraway spaetzle was something special. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Consistently goodanon38Dined on 10/31/2014I love Haven, food is top notch, service is responsive, ambiance is wonderful. They do have some weird music on at times, but it only adds to the charm. Have been there a few times, haven't been disappointed yet. Hearty food, expertly prepared, always interesting and evolving menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Comfortable and welcoming. The food is wonderful. Well thought out and expertly executed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A brunch menu well worth tryingSammyDined on 10/26/2014If you want a brunch menu that is different from the classic eggs benedict, and you are expecting good quality food.....this restaurant is a must-try. The location is just off the heavier trafficked Jack London Square, and has the view of the pier....very pleasant and quiet.Special Features:
- ALways fabulous !fortunateVIPDined on 10/25/2014I've never been disappointed. Every dish is interesting, flavorful, varied. Excellent wise advice from waitstaff. First rate. Only reason I wouldn't give it 6 stars out of 5, is that I want to be able to still get reservations myself : -)Special Features:
- MichelleVIPDined on 10/25/2014We were plesantly surprised how delicious our dinner was. Course after course, the squid w/ chorizo appetizer was delicious, so was my trumpet mushroom porridge. Our guests also really enjoyed their Short Ribs as well as the chicken. Our waiter Ryan is professional, friendly and attentive. Thanks!Special Features:
- OutsideDined on 10/25/2014Food is consistently excellent. Dishes have full and balanced flavor profiles without being pretentious or overdone. Have yet to have something I wasn't impressed with. The server we had was friendly and knowledgeable and was fun to chat with. The wines by the glass selection was impressive. Typically you expect to have to settle for mediocre wine when you order off the by the glass menu, but we didn't find that to be the case at all (except for the Pinot which we found disappointing).Special Features:
- Great opton for Jack London SquareChristaDined on 10/18/2014Excited to have some fun new-ish restaurants in Jack London Square. We've been fans of Bocanova for a couple of years. Thoughts we'd check out Haven for a change. Haven is smaller, with smaller menu, but food is wonderful and wait staff excellent. We dined on a Saturday night. Though the restaurant was full, the noise levels were quite reasonable. The tables have a little breathing room. The chef was able to improvise on a request, and it was fantastic. Our waiter described a new-to-me wine varietal form the by-the-glass list. It was accurately described and delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Nice SurpriseOL2HVIPDined on 10/18/2014We're fans of DPG restaurants, so we traveled across the bridge to try Haven. We were very pleasantly surprised. Everything was totally excellent. Four of us shared four starters--all amazing--, and then tried four different main courses. The chicken, and the short ribs were outstanding. Service was 'over the top'. Our waiter so good. Definitely worth a repeat visit or two or three.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Haven Love!ELGourmandVIPDined on 10/15/2014Glad to have such a great spot so close to us - although not too close or cloud be dangerous! Chef Charlie and his team kick out some delicious, seasonal, ingredient driven food and the BEST BURGER around!!! Amazing cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks (house-made ginger beer rocks!). Wonderfully diverse wine list and great service all around. Would definitely recommend and bring guests here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, amazing food & wine!GDipaoloDined on 10/15/2014Absolutely loved our waiter! He was an expert and his recommendations on food and wine were spot on! Wish I lived in the area so I could go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we almost leftoaklandeaterVIPDined on 10/12/2014The service was the worst I've had in years. We started worrying when we were ignored at the hostess stand even though there were only 3 tables with diners. No one ever came to take our order until we yelled at them. Two tables seated well after us got their orders place and received food before us. We saw at least two other tables get up and leave. I don't know if they were understaffed (probably, since the same 3 people were doing everything) but they could have been a little apologetic and acknowledged the situation. The food was fine but really secondary after such bad service.
- Fabulous food (although too salty)AlexandraDined on 10/11/2014For starters we ordered the oysters and seared albacore, both interesting and melting in the mouth. We chose the wild king salmon and bavette for main and finished our meal in triumph with an out-of-this world honey and fig panna cotta. The flavors were carefully matched and blended amazingly well. The presentation was creative. It was arts for the eyes and heaven for the palate. The only complaint was the overindulgence of salt on the dishes, which spoilt the dishes a little. One last glitch: we were seated at the bar despite making a reservation 1 month ahead. We asked if we could get a table and they did their best to get us one after within 15mn. Service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was fantastic, staff was so soOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Went here for my fiancee's birthday. Showed up an hour early but were more then willing to wait, we had planned to walk around before hand but wanted to just check in ahead of time. We were surprised at how empty the place was but none the less we got a table right away which was fantastic. The staff seemed uninterested in us being there and our server wasn't really around much so the manager (I presume) took care of us as well as a new hire who was extremely quiet(To the point where when he was describing the dish and all I heard was the word sauce and I think something about the broccoli). If it wasn't for the manager and the food I don't think I would of rated it as highly.Special Features:
- Amazing views of kitchen & the BayJFK2SFOVIPDined on 10/2/2014Inventive take on classic dishes With modern flavor combinations. Generous portions cooked up and served up by a great kitchen and wait staff. Best view is of the open kitchen while seating at the chef's counter. Great outdoor sitting for weekend brunch. Chef Kim earlier and now Chef Charlie have done great things at Haven, and I always find new, interesting and seasonal dishes on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/30/2014The food was great, just a little heavy. We had the bone marrow, the dumplings, the salmon and a burger - I think the dumplings were the heavy part although I didn't try the burger. For desert we had the brown butter cake and it was probably my favorite part of the meal - that and the cocktails, a woodsman and a gin sour. I'd go back for cocktails and desert.Special Features:
- Good food, good viewvashtaDined on 9/29/2014Sat outside on the patio, a beautiful evening. Service to the patio was mostly good. Waiter was attentive, but the assistants could use a little polishing. Had to ask twice for a knife and then it was just plunked down on the table. Vegetarian selections limited. Green salad with plum, radish, and mint was so fresh they must have just picked the greens. Dressing was light & tasty. Quinoa with farm egg entree bordered on too salty, and I am a person that adds salt to everything. It was an interesting mix with the best part the fried squash blossoms. The zucchini foam was weird & I did not care for it. The cider donuts with a hazelnut caramel type sauce were fabulous. Zinfadel was ok, but expensive. Worth going, but is pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zabouDined on 9/28/2014We were a party of 4, we chose to share several small plates, rather than each one of us having his own plate. It was soooo good. The bone marrow : wow ! Eggplant dumplings delicious, calamaris cooked to perfection. Creative cuisine, but not too sophisticated, just the way we love californian cuisine, with fresh top quality product. All the dishes we chose were really savory and yummy , all of them really excellent .The service was perfect , the waitress was very nice. Trendy but warm and friendly atmosphere. We went there for dinner just before the show at Yoshi's. We will certainly return ! Great experience. Great choice of cocktails and beautiful wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty good, but expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014got bone marrow, which was nice and tasty, very beautifully presented, but the marrow itself kinda got lost with all the sauce and garnishes. Roast pork was pretty good, very crispy skin, the shoulder portion was kinda chewy but well seasoned and the spatzle was best part of the dish. I would say the pork needed a better sauce than just apple puree. The salmon was very sweet, especially on the skin side, and a little over cooked, I like salmon med-rare. The dessert was very creative but fell flat, it was mint chocolate cream with basil ice cream and homemade marshmellow, but the flavors together were strange and in general it seemed like an incomplete thought. $120 including tip, and the coffee was excellent.
- absolutely fabuousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/23/2014my sister and I had an amazing time at Haven. The food was divine, the service spectacular, and I will definitely recommend this place to my friends and family.Special Features:
- HavenOaklanderDined on 9/20/2014Overall excellent dining experience. Interesting, inventive cocktails, fabulous appetizers and flavorful entrees. Prices are high-moderate to high, but the quality of food and service make the price worth it. Really impressed by the level of service - about three different servers over the course of the evening, all making sure all details and needs were taken into consideration.Special Features:
- BirthdaydiningDined on 9/20/2014They were very accommodating and always making sure the birthday person was taken care of. Great customer service and everyone enjoyed their meal. Not a bad meal on the menu at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AffordableLunchbunchDined on 9/20/2014Outstanding food at an affordable price. Moreover, close to the Orpheum Theater for a pre-show dinner.Special Features:
- FabuloussugoionnaDined on 9/20/2014We had such a great experience here. We went right when it opened and were able to get seated and order pretty swiftly. We ordered Squid & Chorizo, Parisian Dumplings, Bucatini and the Spare rib(not on the online menu). We enjoyed every bite of what we had and could not stop talking about it. Everything was well seasoned and complemented each other beautifully. We also had the apple cider donuts for dessert and they were incredible. The service was also impeccable. Our server, Nikki, was really great and so patient with us through the meal. She was working hard as the restaurant filled up! If I could eat here once a week for the rest of my life I would, happily.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More hype than goodLove2EatOutVIPDined on 9/19/2014I was very disappointed in this restaurant and I really wanted to like it. I find it way overpriced for what you get. I order the roast chicken and it looked like an appetizer portion, not a full entree for $23. There was more plate than food. I don't mind if it is really something special, but it wasn't. My husband ordered a burger, medium rare and it came out rare. His potatoes were good, though, and their house bread is excellent. I really dislike chi chi restaurants that are just hype. Will not return.
- Good, but could be better...chrisPDined on 9/16/2014Most appetizers were great, but the marrow was disappointing; the delicious toast and excellent presentation did not cover for the fact the marrow was scant and overpowered by Romesco. They were out of the short rib (our main draw) so we ended up ordering the salmon and the chicken. The salmon was undercooked, but the delicate combination of the fixings in the chicken dish made up for everything. They were out of the toasted husk ice cream which we were looking forward to. The service was excellent. Bobi, the host was patient and attentive. All in all, it was a pleasant experience, but it could have been better. If you are going there to try something specific on the menu, please call and ensure that they are serving it that day.Special Features:
- First Haven ExperiencetkgnVIPDined on 9/16/2014This was a great find. I especially loved my Perfect Manhattan!! Yum. Food was quite tasty and though menu is limited it really offers variety. I found ordering two items from the starter menu more than satisfied me for dinner. I loved that Cider donuts were on the dessert offerings, and they did not disappoint. I am not a huge donut fan but cider donuts are a favorite. Our waiter was a very nice man but a little on the slow side for our pacing. My dining partners and I do like to linger but we did feel neglected a bit.Special Features: