44 Webster St. (At Embarcadero West)
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havenoakland.com/
- Phone: 5106634440x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday, 5:00-7:00 PM
Sunday - Thursday 5:30-10:00 PM
Friday & Saturday 5:30 pm-11:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday: 10:30 AM- 2:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Kim Alter
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Haven is now open for Brunch! The menu is served family-style for $25 per person.
Sample Brunch Menu
Lox, pickled beets
Granola, yogurt, fresh strawberries
Veggie Fritata fresh from the market
Waffles, fresh peaches, pecans
- Cross Street: Embarcadero W.
- Public Transit: Free bus at both Webster and Broadway at Embarcadero. Civic Center and Lake Merritt BART stations are just a few blocks walk. Coming from San Francisco? Consider taking the Ferry over since it drops you right at in Jack London.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is available on Webster as it terminates at Embarcadero in the Jack London Square courtyard. Street parking is often available, and there is a $6 dollar lot just South of the restaurant building on Embarcadero at Harrison. We also validate for the Broadway parking garage.
A word from Haven
Located in Oakland’s Jack London Square, Haven is the third restaurant in the DPG (Daniel Patterson Group) family of restaurants. Serving creative new Californian cuisine from Executive Chef Charlie Parker, the menu features craveable, technique-driven food including whole animal and vegetable preparations, shareable plates, and delicious desserts. Our nightly odds & ends specials offer tasty surprises and the craft cocktails, local beer and stellar wine list from our bar give plenty of options to wash it all down with. As always, our dining room and patio provide beautiful bay views as a backdrop for your meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
182 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)scenic view (88)special occasion (80)great for outdoor dining (70)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (57)hot spot (38)good for groups (29)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (25)great for brunch (24)great for lunch (13)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- unhappydinerVIPDined on 8/26/2014We went on a Tuesday evening just as they opened at 5, so we were the only diners. It took quite a long time to get food. Then when my husband's Bavette came out, it was 2 small strips of skirt steak on a small mound of mashed potatoes - hardly worth over $20. However, my daughter and I had delicious food in a good portion each. Also, the valet was not on duty when we arrived, so we parked and hung our handicapped placard after checking with a security guard. When we got back to our car, we found a "ticket" hanging on the driver's door. The valet then demanded the $10 he would have gotten if he had valeted in order to tear up the ticket. Not exactly encouraging for another chance at dining at Jack London Square.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerIslandBruinDined on 8/24/2014The wine list features locals like Dashe, the beer is local Linden. Clearly supporting the local suppliers. Staff was attentive. And the bucatini with ragu, and the oysters, were great.Special Features:
- great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful time. The service was spot on, and the food was to die for! We were celebrating our 8-year anniversary and dessert came with a candle and well wishes. It was a great night and we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- HavenFoleysFeastDined on 8/22/2014We had a fabulous time at Haven the only thing sub par was the long wait for our food. Seems the waiter either forgot to fire or kitchen was backed up on all coursesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- melon soupsnoopdoccDined on 8/19/2014I am still dreaming about it! Large portion sizes,great value for high quality food.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/16/2014Overall Haven is a very good dining experience. The service was attentive, but there was a bit of a long break between apps and main course. Other than the timing the experience was very good. The cocktails were well balance, wine list was adequate and food was above par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!oaklandLoDined on 8/15/2014Always order the soup, no matter what it is, it is ALWAYS mind blowing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointedsaffronDined on 8/8/2014The dinner salad was satisfyingly interesting, but for me the presence of a sweet pickle strip did not compliment the savory bacon or cheese in my burger and I removed it. It clashed rather than enhanced. Roasted potatoes were good but salty. I had a Hop Candi ale and it was disappointingly one-note hop with no floral, citrus, or indeed any more flavor notes. My dinner companion had the roasted lamb and enjoyed it. The executive Chef is well known so I believe my experience is the exception.Special Features:
- Bad serviceAdelaDined on 8/7/2014Food was thankfully great, but our appetizer took 40mins to arrive and then our dinner took another 40 mins. Our server apologized, but clearly many guests around us were just as annoyed & hungry.Special Features:
- Yumm! I want moreMyrnaMDined on 8/3/2014My son and I arrived at the time it opened and was seated immediately. Our waiter, Ryan, was very pleasant and described the specials with great detail. My son ordered a lamb salad (a special that night) and roast chicken entrée, I had a roasted pepper special appetizer and the stone valley pork. We were also given a chicken wing appetizer that was one of the specials complimentary (always a welcome treat). All the food was excellent. The meats were prepared flawlessly. The pork had a wonderfully rendered skin, the chicken was cooked to perfection. We enjoyed our meals and finished with the bluberry donut dessert that we shared. I loved the attention to detail in the presentation and the service was spot on. I will be back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of Chef a MistakeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Haven used to be my favorite restaurant, but with the change of chef I'm not going back. It saddens me because I will have to scout for another really good restaurant.
- Fun NewAmerican CuisineFoody1Dined on 8/1/2014Interesting twist on appetizers, with unique combinations of spices and flavors. Nice tables by the waterfront.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaGremelinaDined on 7/30/2014Waiting service excellent.... Dishes ranged from squid appetizer to salmon to plum sorbet and vanilla ice cream (all made there)..overall..delightfully spiced/well-prepared...but not consistently 'off the chart'..such as the tomato salad with goat cheese..tomatoes simply not tasty ...and not adequate in amount..versus huge lettuce salad in a wooden bowl that was actually too small for the salad. What I found 'interesting' was the lack of real energy about the place..it's lack of warmth..did not feel truly welcoming, perhaps lack of senior maitre d..and last, but not least....a non-diverse crowd (I was amazed that here we were in Oakland...and it was a largely white crowd..felt odd..)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- penelopeluvDined on 7/29/2014Lovely and uncharacteristically quiet,auditorily and visually in the Bay Area. Food was lovely using surprisingly simple ingredients paired with surprise sub-ingredients. Lovely texture and tiers of flavors. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/27/2014Excellent neighborhood restaurant.. great addition and now mainstay for the Jack London Square.Special Features:
- friendsDined on 7/26/2014Loved having dinner here. The staff made us feel welcome and special. The restaurant itself it beautiful. The food was wonderful. There was a little something for our entire group. Pig Trotter dish for the more adventurous, steak for our meat eaters, and a salmon for others. Dessert was also great. Something familiar as well as something completely different - like corn husk ice cream. Our entire group had a stellar time and would recommend it in a heart beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many Reasons to go...Vice1n1SpiceDined on 7/24/2014The cocktail: My classic cocktail was complex, fragrant and had a story tell. My companion's barrel aged cocktail was superb, despite being somewhat of a short pour. The starter: loved the fact that our server told us what certain ingredients were and gave her opinion about she she liked the best of my select few (believe me, there were a handful of starters wanted to try!) The food: wonderful combinations that included seasonal produce and creative flare. Highly recommend the burrata! The wine: with a bit of help from our server, we had excellent selections of wine by the glass to pair with our entrees. The Dessert: for this dinner, we respectfully declined. :) HOWEVER: if they ever have it on their menu, go for the Baked Alaska.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/24/2014The food is very good but I found the service off-putting. With a reservation, being seated at the bar without any question as to whether we would prefer to wait for a table; waiting --- and waiting --- to be acknowledged once we were seated. Only when we got the bill did the server say 'thank you for your patience'. I assumed she hadn't been aware how long we were waiting. If she was - why not say something earlier? The food did not make up for the service at this fairly pricey restaurant.
- glovesmVIPDined on 7/23/2014We had chef's counter seats and it was great watching the chefs prepare the food. The presentation was really nice for all of the appetizers and entrees. I had the pork and my friend had the lamb - although it looked like small portions, we both ended up taking food home. I would definitely come back here again.Special Features:
- yum. a non foodie reviewcalimoDined on 7/22/2014My partner and I loved our dinner at Haven. The Squid appetizer was sublime and the entrees were yummy. I had the lamb. My partner's king salmon was also pretty damn good. A bit disappointed at the portion sizes, but in hind site, probably good for my beer belly. The Woodsman cocktail was one of the most dynamic drinks i can recall since Honor bar's "Black Sabbath". I highly recommend this cocktail as it's flavor changes over time...in a good way. honest. Didn't love the desserts, then again, i'm not a foodie.Special Features:
- I love HavenrosieDined on 7/22/2014This was my second visit and although my first visit was still the best, I enjoyed our meal and the setting very much. The staff are very informed and pleasant. My steak was delicious, as were the cocktails. Perhaps my favorite thing about the evening was the smoked ice in my cocktail, The Woodsman. So different and enjoyable! The only downside: my husband wasn't a fan of the sweet lemon curd served with his lamb. We didn't have the squid and chorizo this time and we regretted it.Special Features:
- Haven is my havenblooms21Dined on 7/21/2014I cannot praise this restaurant enough. As a vegetarian/kosher fish eater, I can always find multiple items to satisfy my requirements. The ingredients are so fresh and delicious. The combinations of flavors are always perfect. I love eating here at Haven and wish I could eat here every night. It's a DO NOT MISS stop in Oakland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining Option In JLSshicetygrlVIPDined on 7/21/2014The service was great, the staff was knowledgeable of the menu and the food was excellent. I like that the menu is changing and to reflect what is in season. The barrel aged cocktails are delicious and so are their desserts. A win all the way around.Special Features:
- great potentialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/19/2014Ate on patio; lovely view and scene. Food good, but not exceptional, portion size of entree amazingly small while priced at $26. entree of flatiron steak, cosseted of two slices of meat. Quite disappointing.Special Features:
- small piece of HeavenfarpointdiveVIPDined on 7/19/2014Currently Haven is being helmed by Charles Parker. His small plates (which is what we enjoy the most) were exquisite. Four of us ordered a combination of small plates, of which only one was okay; the remainder were spectacular. The waitress, Andrea, was marvelous, she understood wines and did an excellent job decanting the Cabernet Sauvignon that we'd brought with me and made sure we were well supplied with sparking water, wine and later coffee. The dishes were brought out in timely manner and all the "tastes" were unique to the dish and all flavors worked together well. It was a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Great food and service!elledeeVIPDined on 7/17/2014I've been to Haven several times and each time they get better and better. This last time I sat at the Chef's counter which was a special treat since I could see how all the plates were being prepared. The burrata and octopus was fantastic. The Flat Iron steak was delicious too. I am adding this to my top Oakland dining spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner at HavenPeepsDined on 7/17/2014Haven apparently has a new chef. The food is very good and I realize that it is difficult to follow in someone else's footsteps but I really miss some of the previous dishes. It was a tremendous disappointment to not have the brussel sprouts available any longer and the mashed potatoes were most memorable. I love the atmosphere and the location. Jack London has a nice ambiance and it's fun to watch people walking their dogs with the yachts and the estuary in the background while dining. The service is excellent, they are very attentive just short of being intrusive. Oh, the Manhattan's are the best! There are many wonderful sounding cocktails but that Manhattan is solo good I just can't get past that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurelDined on 7/12/2014Food: interesting, exciting (really), and excellent. Wait staff: knowledgeable, friendly, helpful. Cocktail menu: outta this world. A+I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - a little overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014We had a great time at Haven, most of what we ordered was great, but some of the food items were just so-so. The drinks were expensive and SMALL. So it is definitely a foodie place with an interesting menu and creative cocktails, but at the end of the evening it didn't quite feel worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trip, but don't go hungrycabgoesleftVIPDined on 7/8/2014Haven is very good. Great food. Nice view. Good service. But it is very apparent that they are maximizing margins by minimizing the food on the plate. It was really good, priced high and noticeably small. Still a great option for Oakland.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/7/2014brilliant conception, beautiful presentation, gorgeous wait staff...perfectly delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placehiedVIPDined on 7/6/2014first time and a great place on jack London square. very fresh, local and interesting combinationsSpecial Features:
- Food was stunningbizguyVIPDined on 7/6/2014The food was absolutely stunning. Very inventive and fresh. A lot of the savory items on the menu included fruit, which was brilliant. I sat at the bar overlooking the chef leading the line and the kitchen is very well run. Great place for a Sunday night dinner, btw. My only negative was that my server was inattentive, but watching other tables/guests makes me think it was just that particular server.Special Features:
- Off it's gameFoodie2014VIPDined on 7/6/2014We've enjoyed our previous meals at Haven since it opened in 2011. This time however, perhaps because of a recent chef change, was a major exception. The food, although good, lacked creativity especially given that it is a Daniel Patterson restaurant. The timing of the kitchen was horribly off and the service was awkward at best. Perhaps it was just a bad night (7pm on the Sunday of the July 4th weekend) but something was definitely amiss. It's a lovely spot and still the best at Jack London so we'll give it another chance but you should be be forewarned.Special Features:
- One problemEdmundVIPDined on 7/1/2014Let me start by saying that the food was great! However the service was horrendous. Our waitress was a sweetheart and the problems were not her fault. Understaffed bar and generally understaffed this restaurant was not ready for the number of diners they had. 35 minutes to get a drink once we sat down. Another 30 minutes after that to get appetizers. Dinner came out more timely but we were afraid to order dessert for fear we would end up having to stay the night!! I don't mind spending 25-30 dollars for an entree but the service needs to be there. Unless they can fix this problem a restaurant with truly excellent food won't last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food at Jack London Squarecbgb2VIPDined on 6/27/2014The food is great at Haven. Charlie Parker has added delicious dishes to the menu. The pork was fabulous and loved the chicken liver appetizer. I look forward to eating my way though the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found a new HAVEN!FamilyDined on 6/23/2014Great restaurant find @ Jack London Square. Portions are appropriate not to big, not too small. Spent our anniversary there and was treated really well! Good place for a MNO (Moms Night Out)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/20/2014Service was very slow. The server didn't make his first appearance for about 15 minutes. He was aloof and ineffective. It wasn't a busy Friday night. He just didn't seem to care. I asked for fried egg on my burger. He was to check whether it was possible, but never reported back and served the burger without one and without mentioning it again. I asked for condiment, and he forgot about that until he passed by a second time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/20/2014Great aged cocktails. Food was good but not as good as we had hoped.
- Haven on a SundayParkeDined on 6/15/2014Went to Haven for a late afternoon lunch and found ourselves very satisfied with the overall experience. The pickled sardine on avocado toast is worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.