90 South St
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://havanakoi.com/
- Phone: 9739988939
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Timothy Fields
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off-site catering is available. We offer a full selection of catering options.
A word from Havana Koi
We are an upbeat friendly, casual Cuban-Fusion Restaurant, located right in the heart of Morristown, adjacent to the Mayo Performing Arts Center.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Havana Koi reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (22)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Not worth going.daveVIPDined on 9/5/2014Service was adequate. Food was totally bland and tasteless. Portion size was small for cost and presentation was ordinary. Take your money somewhere else. There are many terrific restaurants in Morristown. This place will be gone before too long.
- Great Concept. Poor Execution.HoneymoonerVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great concept b/c there isn't much competition for a Cuban style eatery in the Mo-town area. Nice decor helped to heighten my anticipation. We ordered a variety of tapas, empanadas, & skewers which were mediocre at best. Pork belly was at temperature (safe to eat) but very much undercooked w/ the top layer being excessively chewy/tacky. The rest of our plates were far from cult status leaving plenty of room for improvement. Next, we ordered the tempura whole bass, but were told that they didn't have it in stock (on a Friday night??). Then we ordered the Miso crusted fish & were again disappointed that there was none in stock. That's when we started doubting the freshness of our tapas (tuna crudo & scallops). They need a better chef.Special Features:
- very inconsistent2ndbreakfastVIPDined on 8/28/2014We've eaten at Havana Koi twice now. The first time the food was excellent: interesting choices, and everything we tried was really good. We especially loved the mango and Asian pear salad: crisp, delicious, with clear flavors of mango and Asian pear. The second time was a strong disappointment: we shared 6 of the smaller dishes (a mix of salads, small plates, and sides); two were good, three were so-so, and the mango and Asian pear salad was dismal: a barely detectable trace of mango, a slimy dressing, and so much raw onion that we couldn't taste the Asian pear at all. We'll wait a while and try them again -- maybe this last time was the chef's night off.
- Great to tryReviewsDined on 8/23/2014Our waiter was very pleasant. I liked the fusion. Menu was a bit small. Loved the flank steak appetizer. Would go back for those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Alfresco at Havana KoiSusanGDined on 8/16/2014We had dinner on the outside terrace the other night. The appetizer lettuce wedge salad with chorizo and blue cheese, crackling pork and miso fish entrees were fabulous! For dessert we tried the dulce de leche cheesecake which did not have any caramel taste. When we told the server, she brought a flan in its place which was wonderful! The setting was nice, although the table was a bit rocky and unstable. One recommendation is to have candles or lighting of some kind as it gets dark. It was very difficult to see what we were eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some small plates before the show!foodiegurl56Dined on 8/11/2014A refreshing change from the usual Italian or Steak house in Morristown! Great to sit outside on a nice summer night and enjoy some interesting Cuban style small plates.Special Features:
- PoorEt123Dined on 7/30/2014The employees were so nice I'm sad to write a bad review. The food was terrible fried calamari was the only edible item, even the virgin mojito and desert was not good.
- ApkmVIPDined on 7/18/2014If going on a show night, be sure to let your server know immediately and get there earlier. We observed many disgruntled patrons who were still waiting for food and had a show to get to. The arepas and empanadas were good. I wouldn't recommend the crispy beef appetizer. It had an unusual texture and flavor. The ropa vieja and braised chicken entrees were both enjoyable. Great red sangria. Service wasn't very attentive. Overall it was a decent experience and would consider returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real treat!TheTomtenDined on 7/12/2014We took a chance on this one after reading mixed reviews. Three of us filled up on tapas, sitting outside on a beautiful night. We arrived at 7:30, with a reservation. It was crowded but the service was just fine. We were visiting from out of town and wish this one was closer to our home. The only glitch was it doesn't serve alcohol, but they volunteered to run out to the store down the street for wine or beer. Ove of our party ran out instead.Special Features:
- Poor serviceLW07Dined on 7/4/2014Horrible service which ruined the experience. Food was ok but the horrible service ruined everything. The sangria was awful as well.Special Features:
- Fun!luvgoodfoodDined on 6/15/2014The appetizers where very good - angry clams and beef kebab. The pork shank was very good, but the creole chicken was just OK. We would not recommend the Cuban fries. limp and sugary.Special Features:
- Fun but not romanticSavortheflavorDined on 5/31/2014Delicious food, proficient staff, but we went on friend's referral and booked for romantic night out. This is more a place for groups, we'll definitely go back thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TyyHuhttevDined on 5/31/2014VhfutyhvxhjfkbnlkjngbfbyjfahjfutehbcunbfnnkjjhkbjjhmnjkbmbknvclvgjnbjhjnbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 9 reviews are from the Havana Koi reviews archive.
- Always FunjmmMDined on 5/22/2014This is my third visit. The food and service have been consistently good.Special Features:
- Nice addition to MorristownhhmagDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I ate there last Sat night and was over all pleased. Unfortunately, it was a bit too cool to sit outside, and with the dining room packed its a bit loud, but folks are enjoying themselves. We had Angry Clams, a wedge salad, Ropa Vieja with a side of black beans, and Pork Shank. All very good, but really liked the clams, and Ropa with the beans. Would definitely go back especially to sit outside.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2014I t was very crowded and noisy because people were there for dinner before going to a performance in the theater next door.
- Great spot, great locationLL318Dined on 5/15/2014Really cute restaurant in a perfect location! The staff was super nice and attentive. Food was very good and nice size portions. Appetizers are a good size (enough to share with someone else). Sangria was ok. Desert (flan) was amazing! Cuban coffee is so good! Wasnt really a fan of the seating in the back, but everything else was awesome!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Head Chefs MatterSamchildVIPDined on 5/13/2014This was our second trip to Havana Koi, the first earning the newly opened restaurant strong admiration from my family. The second time around, things were a bit different, although, as I later discovered, for very understandable reasons. On our first trip, food was prepared by the restaurant's executive chef, and the experience was very impressive -- food quality, flavor and texture combinations, preparation, plating, service, overall ambience. This time, as it turned out, the executive chef was out due to a death in his family, and the restaurant fell down on service (substantially), preparation (somewhat) and plating (moderately). We will return, but only after checking to make sure the chef is in town.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who would have thought?SamchildVIPDined on 4/27/2014Cuban fused with Asian really works! After overcoming an initial inability to work the OpenTable system, the team at Havana Koi made our evening very pleasant. I had the mussels and the grilled romaine salad, Linda had the Asian pumpkin and chicken spring rolls and the beef picadillo empanada. Flavors worked together -- sauces complimented rather than dominated, food was perfectly prepared (except for the mussels which could have been served warmer) and very well-plated, and an inventively-designed interior finished off the effect. I must say the grilled romaine salad was the best I have had anywhere - a real treat if you are enticed by the fusion of pineapple, mango salsa and roasted garlic. Strong launch bodes well for future visits.Special Features:
- Diverse MenuEasy2pleaseDined on 4/26/2014There is a wide selection and every menu item is well presented, prepared, and tastes good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for a 1st time, will be backprm8VIPDined on 4/24/2014Restaurant is just 3 weeks openned. Many good things going for them and a great potential due to the incredible care of the owners and wait staff. Our food came out on the cold side and way too fast (most restaurants ask you how you want the food to come out, we were not but we should have asked....my bad). When ordering, tell them how you want food to come out and insist on it being served hot. The Tres Leches and the Flan are incredible.Special Features:
- Not very good at all......sbrandanoDined on 4/18/2014I took my 5 year old daughter here after a show next door. Ordered calamari with sweet sauce which my she loves and got calamari with some sort of vinegar flavored salsa/salad on top of it. It was horrible and made the calamari soggy and inedible. The sauce was spicy hot and not sweet. I ordered churrasco skewers and shrimp/scallop skewers. They were not bad, but both had very, very small pieces of meat. I ordered the $30 skirt steak as an entree and after 40 mins. got 5 very thinly sliced pieces of skirt steak, paper thin maybe 1/8" thick on a plate with 2 cheese and bread puffs of some sort. The food was very disproportionate to the pricing. $100 meal for 2 was expensive and very disappointing. Service was ehh..would not recommend.