Havana Central at The West End
New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Havana Central at The West End
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havanacentral.com/
- Phone: 2126628830
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:30 am - 4 pm Monday thru Friday Monday thru Wednesday 11:30 am-10 pm. (Bar closes at 11pm) Thursday 11:30 am-11 pm Friday & Saturday 11:30 am-12 am. (Bar closes at 1 - depending on business) Sunday 11:30 am -10 pm. (Bar closes at 11 pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Stanley Licairac
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Located within steps of Columbia University, this landmark, one of the oldest running bars since Prohibition, best known as the favorite haunt of Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg also holds an important place in the history of Jazz. Renovated in 2007, this true neighborhood establishment reopened its doors under the name Havana Central at the West End, holding onto its deep community ties and adding our distinctive Cuban flair along the way.
- Private Party Facilities: Havana Central at the West End boasts two private rooms and large open bar area accommodating seating or cocktails from 44 – 350 guests. Ideal for corporate, university and social events including product launches, corporate meetings, networking and life milestone celebrations.
- Private Party Contact: Private Event Coordinator 8885137410
- Entertainment: Havana Central has live Latin music, karaoke and DJ. Please inquiry for details.
- Special Events: This location boasts two private rooms and large open bar area accommodating seating or cocktails from 44 – 350 guests. Ideal for corporate, university and social events including product launches, corporate meetings, networking and life milestone celebrations. Rooms Available and Capacities: Bar Area - (44 seated - 100 cocktail) Dining Room - (75 seated - 100 cocktail) Back Havana Room - (125 seated - 150 cocktail) Outdoor Cafe - (42 seated) Entire Restaurant (Buy-out) (250 seated - 350 cocktail)
- Cross Street: Between 113th and 114th Streets
- Public Transit: The 1 Subway line to 110th or 116th Streets. The 104 Bus stops at 113th Street and the M4 stops at 110th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking & Public pay lots in the area: 110th St between Broadway and Amsterdam Ave 112th St between Broadway and Amsterdam Ave 114th St between Broadway and Amsterdam Ave
A word from Havana Central at The West End
Havana Central at the West End transports you to pre-Revolution Cuba with swanky decor, lively jazz, relaxing bar and beloved recipes. Traditional Cuban cooking is a labor of love: many dishes are slow-cooked over low heat and require constant attention to create that perfect flavor. Executive Chef Stanley Licairac has mastered the patience and style necessary to recreate old-world Cuban classics. Havana Central at the West End was voted one of the Top 10 Best Places in New York for Groups by OpenTable diners, so gather your loved ones and celebrate the Cuban culture with hot jazz, fine dining and delicious mojiots!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Havana Central at The West End reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great placeBeleza25Dined on 5/25/2014I went with my mother and the service was good and food came fast, the food was amazing and their was live music. Great place to have. Nice lunch/dinner and relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch made easyFrancescaDined on 5/18/2014I drove 50 miles from NJ on my friends recommendation and it was worth the effort. Food was delightful. Great taste and presentation. The service was a little slow, but it was a busy time of the day. The meals where excellent value for money, as I paid the bill for 6 of us. A wonderful choice and I would make this one of my new hang outs in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunited and it Feels Sooo Good!twjaDined on 5/17/2014I hadn't been to Havana Central in some time and knew it would be a perfect place to meet up with my girlfriends for a night of great food, drinks and dishing on the men and latest happenings in our lives. We were not disappointed! I enjoyed everything and can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theme restaurant mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Too loud. (Okay, it was Friday night near Columbia towards the end of the semester.) Food was mediocre, overcooked and dry. Service slow and not particularly friendly.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014The service was good, but they did ask me about twice when I'd ordered. It wasn't their fault but I'd just had a difficult time in Duane Reed, and was not on form. I went because I used to use the West End Gate when I was at Columbia. Perhaps it's not a good idea to go back! I have happy memories of it. The wind kicked up while I was eating and it reminded me of "high winds in Havana".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Good Cuban Food!HarlemFoodieDined on 5/11/2014I brought my parents to Havana Central to celebrate Mother's Day! My parents love all Caribbean food so this was an excellent choice! The waitstaff were nice and accommodating. We ordered the lobster and shrimp dip with tostones as well as empanadas for tapas. The dip was great and the tostones were perfection. The shrimp with rice entree was excellent. My mom ordered shrimp in garlic sauce and my dad ordered a shredded beef dish with Moro which was SOOOO good! For dessert we shared a slice of pineapple cake. We also ordered two pitchers of Sangria that were 👍!!! They also had a free photo booth for the holiday. My parents literally called their friends at the table to let them know that they were all coming back for couples date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service not as great on a holidaynomnomDined on 5/11/2014Went on mothers day for lunch (group of 3). Was not offered the mothers day drink special (free for all mothers). 2 of the 3 orders were incorrect. I like Havana Central. But I will never dine on a day like this again.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodrhernandezDined on 5/11/2014I ordered the paella. HC has no business have that item on their menu. The rice was RED! One of my guests ordered the steak. It was 1/4 inch thick and not prepared as ordered. Another ordered the hungry man breakfast, by the time it arrived at the table it was cold. All around a complete fiasco. I will never return.
- CincodemayoMcleme8049Dined on 5/5/2014I have been here several times. This place never disappoints me.Special Features:
- AwfulhappymealVIPDined on 4/20/2014I used to love this restaurant and was so looking forward to eating there again. So disappointed. Food looked and tasted like it had been sitting in the kitchen. Waiter was not very attentive. Not going there again.
- Havana Central is great!JayMDined on 4/20/2014I've been to this location several times; the staff is always wonderful & friendly. However, I was disappointed they don't give out the coconut candy at the door anymore :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Havana Banana!DezlovaDined on 4/18/2014Had a blast at Havana Central. Great food and drinks. Sign up for the mailing list and you'll get a free enter and desert for your birthday. The band was pretty loud so if your looking for a quiet dinner on Friday nights, this is not the place. Great for the party mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodYodaDined on 4/12/2014Food is awesome. Try the mojito, come with an actually piece of sugar cane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!!!MelDDined on 4/11/2014Dance all night...ate good food...enjoyed great drinks! I love coming here : )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Event Done WellAriFanDined on 4/8/2014We went for Empanada Day special. There was definitely a lively bar scene with lively drinks to match. Music was authentic, but a little loud if you were seated in booth under speaker. They did a fine job!Special Features:
- Not so great food1stTimerDined on 4/6/2014Went there with my son & daughter to try NYC's take on Cuban cuisine. Maybe we're over critical (having lived in Miami for 11 years) but we were disappointed in the food. The Empanadas were really good and my daughter couldn't get enough of the avocado dip that came with the plantain chips. But it went downhill from there. My roast pork was tender but tasteless. My son's Cuban sandwich was mediocre. My daughter's Mofongo was cold and tasteless also. The waitress was very apologetic about the slow service (It took an hour to get our food, from the time we ordered). The noise level was really loud but the decor was very nice. It would appear that one should stick with the appetizers, as those were the only highlights of our meal.
- First-Timer.DorieDined on 4/5/2014My boyfriend and I dined here last weekend and it was so much fun. The waiter was attentive and professional, but my significant other thought he was trying too hard for his tip. The sangria was great and I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014I was there to have a birthday dinner and we were all so happy with the menu !!! Excellent food & tasty drinks. The waitress was so genuine and great ! She had a fantastic attitude and sang happy birthday to me !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and MusicKronoxDined on 4/2/2014The good was extremely delicious and the ambience makes you feel that you are La Habana!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My second dining experience, great!SammyDined on 4/2/2014Ropa Vieja con Una Mujer Joven y Bonita es perfecto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for visiting parentsMangoDonDined on 4/1/2014Great spot for visiting parents of Columbia students -- awesome food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Latin foodManhattandinerDined on 3/30/2014The atmosphere at this restaurant is wonderful, the live music transports one to the islands and the food is fresh and delicious. I had rotisserie chicken with a mango glaze and it was quite flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing authenticity!Jeg3Dined on 3/28/2014Food is always fantastic! Great variety of authentic food, served with very professional, knowledgable staff who are very attentive and friendly! Was seated quickly and love the ambience! Highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ...JerryWDined on 3/22/2014We've been to Havana Central before and rated it 5 stars then. The good: very good Mojitos; my wife's salmon was perfection. I had vaca frita (fried shredded beef). I've had this before and it was 100% better last time. Tender with a touch of crispiness. Well this time they must have fried it a bit longer than they should have since it toughened up the meat substantially. Good taste but it gave my mouth a workout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They ALMOST have it right.mrweaDined on 3/21/2014The ambiance in HC is lively, friendly, energetic. The employees are the same. The place is very clean. HOWEVER, the food is just a bit short of expectations. Although the food was well presented, and pretty much nicely prepared it was rather bland and so did not do this style of cuisine justice. The Batida cocktail was delicious, but nearly bereft of alcohol. I think that only a few tweeks in the kitchen and at the bar can make this into a first class restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food decent but slow (>1hr wait)MontclairFoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014Restaurant atmosphere was nice and given the long wait for our food... It was great for conversation. But if your really hungry this may not be the best option it took 40+ mins for appetizer and we waited for over an hour for our entree as a party of 2! The table next to us also had a similar complaint!Special Features:
- Very noisy. Wait staff wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Very noisy. Wait staff was very very good..........but we waited over an hour to get our food. We asked for bread twice and only got some on the third request.Special Features:
- Great Cuban CuisineSammyDined on 3/15/2014My dinner stay at Havana Central was a very rewarding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was exceptionalLuvitmuchVIPDined on 3/8/2014I had a wonderful time the food was Good the drinks were great & the service was exceptional. The young lady was on point. She wasonknowledgeable , friendly & very attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MOM'S BIRTHDAY DINNERLucianoDined on 3/8/2014It was mom's birthday and we all decided to take her there. Food was great waitress was wonderful very attentive and enjoying the kids at our table. EXCELLENT choice....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Not As ImaginedLegz22753Dined on 3/8/2014Everyone was pleasant enough but it was very hectic and took forever to get our food for brunch. The brunch drink special of mimosa was basically orange juice. Then I ordered a glass of "champagne" which tasted like rubbing alcohol. Even the cheapest sparkling wine never tasted like that. I had taken my cast out for a treat and I was disappointed and wished I had gone to my favorite Cuban restaurant. The food was enjoyed by all, however.Special Features:
- VibrantisadoraVIPDined on 3/7/2014Atmosphere was very alive. Noisy and good ambiance to meet friends for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Havana CentralOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014Great Food, Drinks & Desserts .. A great dining experience...A bit on the expensive side so not good as an anytime eatery but great for a special occassion or for when you want to truely treat yourself..Special Features:
- Havana CentralTurkVIPDined on 2/15/2014Terrific Cuban food. Try the Empanadas, the coconut shrimp and the seafood paella. You won't leave hungry! Wash it all down with their great selection of Margharitas and you won't mind the pricey bill .Special Features:
- Food was good! Service was slow!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We waited a long time to get out drinks. Service could have been better . Food was great though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good scene for Valentine's DayDruhaDined on 2/14/2014Weather bad but Havana food and service made up for it. Atentive waitress made the night specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- successfull first timerickyDined on 2/14/2014Took my friends advice and took my girlfriend to this restaurant for vday. Have to say that im glad i did. Food was good,decently priced, drinks were good also. There service was decent as well def coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bang for your buck!lawson130Dined on 2/8/2014I'm a foodie and even I, couldn't finish my meal! The waitress and management were extremely attentive and they checked on us on a couple of occasions, which was very nice.Special Features:
- Not Too Happy...TammyDined on 2/8/2014Order came in wrong......and they ruined the Birthday SurpriseSpecial Features:
- Special drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/5/2014I attended the restaurant upon a reservation and was a little late due to the snowy conditions that had just occurred. I ordered my food and a Sangria to drink. I noticed a black speck in my drink but figured it was from the fruit within my drink. It was something from the fruit alright which I noticed as I came close to finishing the Sangria. That black speck was a fruit fly that had been floating in my drink the whole time. I showed it to our waiter and all he had to say was I wish you would have told me before you finished the drink. Mind you I was not yet done with the drink but he did take it away. I asked for the check thinking that I would not be charged for the drink but that was not the case.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.