289 Alexander Street
Rochester, NY 14607Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havanacabanaroc.com/
- Phone: (585) 232-1333
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 4pm - 11pm
Friday and Saturday 4pm - 2am
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Trey Yager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Entertainment: Entertainment Specials - Please call for Details
- Cross Street: Between Park and East Avenue
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Free day time parking and discounted evening parking is available at the lot directly behind Havana Cabana and the Medical Arts Building. The entrance is located on Gardiner Street. One building South of Havana Cabana.
A word from Havana Cabana
Join us at Havana Cabana for a tropical Caribbean experience in the heart of Rochester’s East End Neighborhood. Our innovative dishes and talented staff will transport you on a cruise of the senses. The intoxicating smells and leaping flames coming from our open kitchen will surely excite your palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Havana Cabana - Best Restaurants in Rochester ›
Havana Cabana reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (31)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (25)vibrant bar scene (24)special occasion (19)romantic (15)late-night find (14)hot spot (13)great for outdoor dining (10)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food and great servicecgrobDined on 11/22/2014We were celebrating our anniversaries and had a great time at Havana Cabana. The staff was very accommodating and our waiter was great. 5 couples celebrating over 200 years of marriage! They brought us a round of drinks on the house which we all thought was quite nice. Everyone ordered different items from the menu and we were all very happy with the food. From pizzas to Cuban sandwiches, the presentation and quality of the food was exceptional. Rochester is lucky to have Havana Cabana. Thank-you! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014Dinner was fairly good but surprisingly expensive for what we received. Drinks were okay but not as spectacular as i'd hoped. Avoid dessert as it was pretty bad (both bread pudding and key lime pie went unfinished). Server was professional and attentive. Ambience is funky and fun but the music in the dining area was too loud. Looked like a good bar crowd but we didn't stick around to find out.Special Features:
- Good foodDisappointed2014VIPDined on 11/14/2014This is my third time at the restaurant. I ordered the rare to know for my entrée and it was very delicious. The other two people in my party also enjoyed their entréesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second timecocktailqueenDined on 11/14/2014This was our second time at Havana, this time with another couple, and it was just as good as the first time. The restaurant was full so we did have to wait a few minutes for our table, the bartenders however did an excellent job of concocting two rum flights. Let me just say even if you think you don't like rum, try a flight they have premade ones or will help you build your own. Outstanding!! We were seated at a half booth in the romantically lit restaurant and started the meal with the scrumptious coconut shrimp. Our server then guided us through some new menu items for which I chose the Swordfish and my husband got the Tenderloin. Both were delicious, my swordfish was beautifully presented and tasted just as good. My husbands tenderloin was cooked to his liking and I have to say with the sauce it came with I might have been a bit jealous. So good! The couple we came with also enjoyed their meals, the tuna and paella. We finished our meal with a coconut flan that our server flambed at the table. Excellent. The hostess checked in with us after our entrees were presented and the friendly manager double checked our experience and brought us dessert shots at the end of the evening. Food, service, ambiance all Above normal Rochester standards. Must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Food was excellent and well presented. Service was noteworthy. Anytime we needed something they were there quickly and with a friendly smile. Good menu selection, although I would like to see a few more seafood and vegetarian items to pick from. Pulled pork is one of the best entrees in Rochester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 21st Birthday CelebrationSantosDined on 11/7/2014We took our family out to celebrate my daughter's Birthday. Service was a little slow BUT the food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2014The restaurant itself has a pleasant atmosphere, but the food is only tolerable - bland without any kind of tropical feel to it. Service was okay.
- Creative menu and presentationSJM1961Dined on 10/31/2014We were impressed by the creativity of the menu, the presentation of the food (particularly my partner's seared tuna dinner), and attentive service. I had blackened Mahi Mahi which was delicious, and the cilantro rice served with both of our meals was very good. Very limited wine list, but it is a "rum bar" so there are extensive rum selections. We will be back - there were a few other entrees I'd love to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingDined on 10/28/2014This was our first time and the food, service,drinks were all outstanding. We will surely return with more friends. Our third person that was with us was from Georgia and found the evening completely outstanding.Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Disappointing food. Great, personable waiter but with few people in restaurant, very very slow service.
- Tropical EscapecocktailqueenDined on 10/9/2014I've been here a few times for drinks and its always a good time. So when my girl friend was in town for a reunion I took her here for dinner. We actually got a rum flight at the bar, as two fruity drink type women I wasn't sure we'd like it. Let me just say this . . . Awesome! The bartender gave us 3 really smooth delicious rums to sip on, you have to try one when you go. Then we sat for dinner, as we hadn't seen each other in over a year we had a lot to catch up on. The server was fantastic, gave us time to talk and helped us with dinner choices. I had the special . . . A whole red snapper, absolutely delicious. My friend had the Flank steak. It was cooked perfectly and the roasted red pepper sauce was scrumptious. must try!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AmyeatsoutDined on 9/27/2014It was our first visit to Havana Cabana and it won't be our last!!! We had excellent food. The menu offered many varied choices around a Caribbean theme. The cocktails were inventive. The host and chef each asked us how our evening was. Our server, Francois, was superb! He was attentive, prompt, knowledgeable and had a real sense of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayluv2dineDined on 9/19/2014Website is not fully accurate in regards to live band. Was looking forward to that but wasnoy provided. Food was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatrickDined on 9/16/2014Food was great, service excellent, and upbeat ambiance with good music. I am definitely planning to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great drinks, great ambiance. Wished the cuban sandwich was a bit more authentic, but still was good eats. All in all a good experience.Special Features:
- Good eats, good atmosphere nice barEvieDined on 9/10/2014Went with a friend for dinner. Had the crab stuff avocado with plantain chips and a nice drizzle. It was a small portion but delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulouscrobDined on 8/23/2014Ambiance, service, and food was wonderful. They have the very best fried plantains and salsa. Cuban sandwich and ahi tuna were both delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst ExperienceGreatDined on 8/22/2014As someone who loves to find local gems for food, I can certainly say that I have eaten at many places in Rochester. For the amount of money spent, we were expecting a higher class and finer dinning experience. There is no dessert menu (at least nothing offered to us), the drinks were all mixers and no alcohol, almost everyone in our party left 90% of their meal on the plate because it was no good, and the server just dragged his feet so he could socialize rather than serve us. Not that I mind having an entertaining server, but this one seemed like he was stoned and there to entertain; and when he was free he could take orders. I counted 6 tables with people when we arrived - took us 3 hours to finish. I do not recommend!
- PrincecharmingDined on 8/16/2014Our waitor, François was outstanding, he turned an enjoyable experience into an outstanding one.Special Features:
- EhFoodDDined on 8/1/2014The bar was great with very knowledgable staff. Once seated at our table we had a different experience. The server food a very long time to take our orders and then when our food did finally come it some was barely warm and some was scorching hot. The taste of the food collectively around the table was decidedly "bland" and "eh." Would not eat here again, would only stick to drinks.Special Features:
- Fun and good foodSDH17Dined on 7/29/2014A group of us from work met here when one of our members came in from out of town. The bartender let us know that if we ordered our drinks before 6 PM there were several Happy Hour specials, so we ordered and hung out waiting for the group to gather. One member let us know he was tied up in a meeting but the staff happily seated us anyway. We ordered appetizers as a stall tactic, and the server was great about refreshing water & other beverages while we waited. The staff never made us feel rushed. We eventually ordered for our remaining member and the server timed the delivery with his arrival perfectly. Overall a lot of fun and we appreciated their patience! The food was quite good, too!Special Features:
- The following 69 reviews are from the Havana Cabana reviews archive.
- Just superb!dabombDined on 7/24/2014Not one negative comment to make! The food is divine and the service is exceptional! By far one of the best dining experiences in Rochester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMrNonameDined on 7/22/2014The food was delicious, and the service was outstanding. Very nice vibe to the whole place. This my new favorite restaurant in the Rochester are.Special Features:
- Did not staytoygalDined on 7/20/2014They did not have our Open Table reservation. There were only drinkers in the place and no diners. We left.
- Havana CabanaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Awesome food, great service and beautiful outdoor dinningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and goodHappydinerVIPDined on 7/2/2014Our visit to Rochester peaked with a perfect summer evening on Havana Cabana's patio, an Old Cuban mojito, and the pulled pork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rum selectionMissingNewMexicoDined on 7/1/2014Havana Cabana is an interesting concept... a Cuban experience in Rochester, NY. The rum selection is great, but most offerings are overpriced. The food is fun and well done, but there's room for improvement. The atmosphere is nice except that it's weird to hear country music played in the dinning room with this Cuban motif going on.Special Features:
- Yummy food during jazz festivalDisappointed2014VIPDined on 6/28/2014This is our second time here. We sat outside and could hear the music from one of the stages at East and Alexander. Drinks are good, food is good, pork with blueberry BBQ sauce, yum. Our server was great!Special Features:
- Perfect getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Franceswa (spelling?) is hands down the best server we have found ever. The food is to die for, he had us comfortable enough to try new foods and loved them. Live music on Friday and saterday night but just as a back ground so you can still talk. Very romantic. I can go on and on. If you read this try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at Havana CabanarbandrocDined on 6/27/2014Havana Cabana is a great place for dinner. The menu offers something for everyone. This was our fourth visit for dinner and each time we have tried and enjoyed different entrees. The atmosphere is fun and there are lots of interesting rum cocktails to try. We were pleasantly surprised by the amount of outdoor seating which is so nice this time of year. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendBingoknowsDined on 6/21/2014Had dinner with group of family and friends. Cocktails were fabulous, food was awesome, and couldn't beat the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of the carribean in RochesterwendyssmileDined on 6/21/2014This was a wonderful night out we actually ate outdoors on a beautiful day. Dark and stomry and Rum punch was awesome. We ended doing appetizers to try out different items everything was excellent. Wonderful place for a date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backJeffgDined on 6/13/2014Went to celebrate our anniversary and our first time here. Everything was great, from the service to the live music. Food was fresh and delicious and my wife enjoyed the mojito selection. It a an overall great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The food was excellent. The atmosphere was enjoyable. There was a live band for part of our meal which was good but too loud for us to talk. We were upstairs which was great but a bit too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "almost" LatinNachalacocineraDined on 6/12/2014When you book in a place called "Havana-Cabana" means that you are looking for mainly three things: Real Latin-America music, meat that d taste like "ropa vieja" and at list a menu in Spanish. Although the place is beautiful, the waiter didn't know Spanish, the musicians were one, fake cuban old stile like-Sicilian man, who didn't know ANY salsa, and was playing a sort of flameco some other fake rythms, unable to get the crow on their feet. The pork-rice and beans with pineapple were interesting, the rice &beans were uncooked and tate-less, my stomach still recall the meat. I can tell it wasn't a latin cook. The stuffwere kind so we ended up having a nice evening, but there is still a lot of work to do. Muchos èxitos!Special Features:
- awesomeMAREDined on 6/11/2014Havana was actually referred to me by a friend who really enjoyed her experience. So when an occasion came up we went there for dinner and the food was great. There were 4 of us so we each ordered a different appetizer so we can try a little of everything and then each got the fish tacos' I cannot say enough about the service, our waitress/server was AWESOMESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightLuv2gooutDined on 6/7/2014We were out for a girls night, and food was great, service exceptional! Two of us has the tilapia special, lobster Cobb and the angel hair pasta with shrimp. David was our server! Definitely a fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014this was my first visit and I will definitely put Havana Cabana in my rotation of dining occasions.Special Features:
- The worst restaurant ever!!!!!!Foodie2Dined on 6/3/2014This was the worst dining experience I have ever had!!! The food was disgusting I could not even cut into my steak with a steak knife the cut of meat had to be lower then fast food grade D meat and the rice was under cooked. my sister and I literally had two bites of our meal and we were ready to go. When the manager came over she had a very nonchalant attitude and didn't offer anything she was just concerned with the fact that we didn't eat the meal and was upset the we didn't like it and did not want to take it with us. What a waist of $75.......Special Features:
- NopeYogiluvsmeDined on 5/27/2014Service was slow and we were the only people there. I ordered the lobster tail that was not cooked as it was listed. The sautéed collards were......interesting. Will not go again unless it's just for drinks.