289 Alexander Street
Rochester, NY 14607Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havanacabanaroc.com/
- Phone: 585-232-1333x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday 4pm - 11pm
Friday and Saturday 4pm - 2am
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Trey Yager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Entertainment: Entertainment Specials - Please call for Details
- Cross Street: Between Park and East Avenue
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Free day time parking and discounted evening parking is available at the lot directly behind Havana Cabana and the Medical Arts Building. The entrance is located on Gardiner Street. One building South of Havana Cabana.
A word from Havana Cabana
Join us at Havana Cabana for a tropical Caribbean experience in the heart of Rochester’s East End Neighborhood. Our innovative dishes and talented staff will transport you on a cruise of the senses. The intoxicating smells and leaping flames coming from our open kitchen will surely excite your palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Havana Cabana - Best Restaurants in Rochester ›
Havana Cabana reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (21)vibrant bar scene (20)great for outdoor dining (19)fit for foodies (19)late-night find (15)special occasion (14)hot spot (12)romantic (10)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014Disappointing food. Great, personable waiter but with few people in restaurant, very very slow service.
- Tropical EscapecocktailqueenDined on 10/9/2014I've been here a few times for drinks and its always a good time. So when my girl friend was in town for a reunion I took her here for dinner. We actually got a rum flight at the bar, as two fruity drink type women I wasn't sure we'd like it. Let me just say this . . . Awesome! The bartender gave us 3 really smooth delicious rums to sip on, you have to try one when you go. Then we sat for dinner, as we hadn't seen each other in over a year we had a lot to catch up on. The server was fantastic, gave us time to talk and helped us with dinner choices. I had the special . . . A whole red snapper, absolutely delicious. My friend had the Flank steak. It was cooked perfectly and the roasted red pepper sauce was scrumptious. must try!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AmyeatsoutDined on 9/27/2014It was our first visit to Havana Cabana and it won't be our last!!! We had excellent food. The menu offered many varied choices around a Caribbean theme. The cocktails were inventive. The host and chef each asked us how our evening was. Our server, Francois, was superb! He was attentive, prompt, knowledgeable and had a real sense of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayluv2dineDined on 9/19/2014Website is not fully accurate in regards to live band. Was looking forward to that but wasnoy provided. Food was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PatrickDined on 9/16/2014Food was great, service excellent, and upbeat ambiance with good music. I am definitely planning to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Great drinks, great ambiance. Wished the cuban sandwich was a bit more authentic, but still was good eats. All in all a good experience.Special Features:
- Good eats, good atmosphere nice barEvieDined on 9/10/2014Went with a friend for dinner. Had the crab stuff avocado with plantain chips and a nice drizzle. It was a small portion but delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulouscrobDined on 8/23/2014Ambiance, service, and food was wonderful. They have the very best fried plantains and salsa. Cuban sandwich and ahi tuna were both delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst ExperienceGreatDined on 8/22/2014As someone who loves to find local gems for food, I can certainly say that I have eaten at many places in Rochester. For the amount of money spent, we were expecting a higher class and finer dinning experience. There is no dessert menu (at least nothing offered to us), the drinks were all mixers and no alcohol, almost everyone in our party left 90% of their meal on the plate because it was no good, and the server just dragged his feet so he could socialize rather than serve us. Not that I mind having an entertaining server, but this one seemed like he was stoned and there to entertain; and when he was free he could take orders. I counted 6 tables with people when we arrived - took us 3 hours to finish. I do not recommend!
- PrincecharmingDined on 8/16/2014Our waitor, François was outstanding, he turned an enjoyable experience into an outstanding one.Special Features:
- EhFoodDDined on 8/1/2014The bar was great with very knowledgable staff. Once seated at our table we had a different experience. The server food a very long time to take our orders and then when our food did finally come it some was barely warm and some was scorching hot. The taste of the food collectively around the table was decidedly "bland" and "eh." Would not eat here again, would only stick to drinks.Special Features:
- Fun and good foodSDH17Dined on 7/29/2014A group of us from work met here when one of our members came in from out of town. The bartender let us know that if we ordered our drinks before 6 PM there were several Happy Hour specials, so we ordered and hung out waiting for the group to gather. One member let us know he was tied up in a meeting but the staff happily seated us anyway. We ordered appetizers as a stall tactic, and the server was great about refreshing water & other beverages while we waited. The staff never made us feel rushed. We eventually ordered for our remaining member and the server timed the delivery with his arrival perfectly. Overall a lot of fun and we appreciated their patience! The food was quite good, too!Special Features:
- Just superb!dabombDined on 7/24/2014Not one negative comment to make! The food is divine and the service is exceptional! By far one of the best dining experiences in Rochester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMrNonameDined on 7/22/2014The food was delicious, and the service was outstanding. Very nice vibe to the whole place. This my new favorite restaurant in the Rochester are.Special Features:
- Did not staytoygalDined on 7/20/2014They did not have our Open Table reservation. There were only drinkers in the place and no diners. We left.
- Havana CabanaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Awesome food, great service and beautiful outdoor dinningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and goodHappydinerVIPDined on 7/2/2014Our visit to Rochester peaked with a perfect summer evening on Havana Cabana's patio, an Old Cuban mojito, and the pulled pork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rum selectionMissingNewMexicoDined on 7/1/2014Havana Cabana is an interesting concept... a Cuban experience in Rochester, NY. The rum selection is great, but most offerings are overpriced. The food is fun and well done, but there's room for improvement. The atmosphere is nice except that it's weird to hear country music played in the dinning room with this Cuban motif going on.Special Features:
- Yummy food during jazz festivalDisappointed2014VIPDined on 6/28/2014This is our second time here. We sat outside and could hear the music from one of the stages at East and Alexander. Drinks are good, food is good, pork with blueberry BBQ sauce, yum. Our server was great!Special Features:
- Perfect getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Franceswa (spelling?) is hands down the best server we have found ever. The food is to die for, he had us comfortable enough to try new foods and loved them. Live music on Friday and saterday night but just as a back ground so you can still talk. Very romantic. I can go on and on. If you read this try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at Havana CabanarbandrocDined on 6/27/2014Havana Cabana is a great place for dinner. The menu offers something for everyone. This was our fourth visit for dinner and each time we have tried and enjoyed different entrees. The atmosphere is fun and there are lots of interesting rum cocktails to try. We were pleasantly surprised by the amount of outdoor seating which is so nice this time of year. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 60 reviews are from the Havana Cabana reviews archive.
- Highly RecommendBingoknowsDined on 6/21/2014Had dinner with group of family and friends. Cocktails were fabulous, food was awesome, and couldn't beat the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of the carribean in RochesterwendyssmileDined on 6/21/2014This was a wonderful night out we actually ate outdoors on a beautiful day. Dark and stomry and Rum punch was awesome. We ended doing appetizers to try out different items everything was excellent. Wonderful place for a date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backJeffgDined on 6/13/2014Went to celebrate our anniversary and our first time here. Everything was great, from the service to the live music. Food was fresh and delicious and my wife enjoyed the mojito selection. It a an overall great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The food was excellent. The atmosphere was enjoyable. There was a live band for part of our meal which was good but too loud for us to talk. We were upstairs which was great but a bit too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "almost" LatinNachalacocineraDined on 6/12/2014When you book in a place called "Havana-Cabana" means that you are looking for mainly three things: Real Latin-America music, meat that d taste like "ropa vieja" and at list a menu in Spanish. Although the place is beautiful, the waiter didn't know Spanish, the musicians were one, fake cuban old stile like-Sicilian man, who didn't know ANY salsa, and was playing a sort of flameco some other fake rythms, unable to get the crow on their feet. The pork-rice and beans with pineapple were interesting, the rice &beans were uncooked and tate-less, my stomach still recall the meat. I can tell it wasn't a latin cook. The stuffwere kind so we ended up having a nice evening, but there is still a lot of work to do. Muchos èxitos!Special Features:
- awesomeMAREDined on 6/11/2014Havana was actually referred to me by a friend who really enjoyed her experience. So when an occasion came up we went there for dinner and the food was great. There were 4 of us so we each ordered a different appetizer so we can try a little of everything and then each got the fish tacos' I cannot say enough about the service, our waitress/server was AWESOMESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightLuv2gooutDined on 6/7/2014We were out for a girls night, and food was great, service exceptional! Two of us has the tilapia special, lobster Cobb and the angel hair pasta with shrimp. David was our server! Definitely a fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014this was my first visit and I will definitely put Havana Cabana in my rotation of dining occasions.Special Features:
- The worst restaurant ever!!!!!!Foodie2Dined on 6/3/2014This was the worst dining experience I have ever had!!! The food was disgusting I could not even cut into my steak with a steak knife the cut of meat had to be lower then fast food grade D meat and the rice was under cooked. my sister and I literally had two bites of our meal and we were ready to go. When the manager came over she had a very nonchalant attitude and didn't offer anything she was just concerned with the fact that we didn't eat the meal and was upset the we didn't like it and did not want to take it with us. What a waist of $75.......Special Features:
- NopeYogiluvsmeDined on 5/27/2014Service was slow and we were the only people there. I ordered the lobster tail that was not cooked as it was listed. The sautéed collards were......interesting. Will not go again unless it's just for drinks.
- Great restaurantGFTWDined on 5/25/2014Easy on the top list of Rochester restaurants. The food was fantastic, the service superb. Will definitely come again. They just opened for Sunday dinners so there was very view people inside but it gets crowded on other days.Special Features:
- Great Live MusicHal9000VIPDined on 5/23/2014Nice room. Music on Friday night by two guitarists was outstanding, Food was mediocre, but I would go back because I liked the ambiance and the musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed...BouluvDined on 5/20/2014My fiancé loved the beef tournedos!! I went SPECIFICALLY for the all you can eat crab legs! It cost $25 and after my first plate of all you can eat crab legs for $25 I was told they were sold out! They should have said that when I placed order or at least tell me they are running low. The special is from 4-10 and by 8pm the crab legs were gone! Many customers were VERY upset. They need to make sure the supply meets the demand! The crab legs were good though!....the 2 clusters I hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time heredineNdashVIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our first time attending the Havana Cabana. We loved the food, and the atmosphere. The service wasn't the best, but we are definitely willing to come back again. Our server was knowledgeable, yet got our drink order wrong, and had trouble cashing out our bill. On the whole, the Havana Cabana was a fun filled place with great food. We had an awesome evening, aside from the service concerns.Special Features:
- First time and we will be backDisappointed2014VIPDined on 5/17/2014Good food, artfully presented. Had a Groupon. Had a drink, appetizer and dinner. Very flavorful. It would be fun to come for drinks and appetizers. Entrees are more pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerMarlyDined on 5/16/2014Our first visit was on a chilly Friday night - got the table right in front of the fireplace so that was nice. We drank Sangrias and nibbled on plantain chips that came with a smokey salsa. I had the key west chicken which was very good - the cracker crumb coating on the rolled chicken breast was not over-powering and added just the right amount of crunch - served on a bed of sautéed greens and beans and rice - perfectly seasoned and cooked - I really enjoyed this dish. Husband had the flank steak which was served on a bed of greens and had a melted cheese cream sauce - he also enjoyed his entrée. For dessert we shared the coconut flan that failed to ignite but tasted great! Service was awesome. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch was GreatDonnaDDined on 5/11/2014First time here. I made reservation for brunch on Mother's Day. The service and the food we're both outstanding. I had the Cuban omelet, and my husband the Cuban sandwich, which was so big he brought home half and had it for lunch the next day. My mother-in-law had the Bananas Foster French toast that she loved. The plantain chips were a nice touch to that and the sandwich. We said we'd definitely come back for dinner and want to sit outside on their patio. Our server was great and we also met the owner that checked on us a couple times. We were entertained as well with some live music by a duo who set up in front of the fireplace as was just the right volume. All 4 of us were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/10/2014The flavors in each dish were amazing. Service was a bit slow but we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014The food was phenomenal and the Saturday night music of Dos Guitars, were amazing. One of the BEST restaurants in Rochester!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.