289 Alexander Street
Rochester, NY 14607Neighborhood:
CaribbeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havanacabanaroc.com/
- Phone: 585-232-1333x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon / Tu / Wed / Th
Bar 3pm til
Dinner 5pm to 10pm
Fri / Sat
Bar 3pm to 1:30am
Dinner 5pm to 10pm
Late Menu 10pm to 12am
Caribbean Brunch 11:30am to 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- Executive Chef: Trey Yager
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room
- Entertainment: Live Island Music and Dancing Friday and Saturdays 10pm-1:30am
Brunch also features Live casual island music
- Cross Street: Between Park and East Avenue
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Free day time parking and discounted evening parking is available at the lot directly behind Havana Cabana and the Medical Arts Building. The entrance is located on Gardiner Street. One building South of Havana Cabana.
A word from Havana Cabana
Join us at Havana Cabana for a tropical Caribbean experience in the heart of Rochester’s East End Neighborhood. Our innovative dishes and talented staff will transport you into a Latin infused experience. The intoxicating smells and leaping flames coming from our open kitchen will surely excite your senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Havana Cabana - Best Restaurants in Rochester ›
Havana Cabana reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (26)vibrant bar scene (21)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (20)special occasion (20)romantic (19)hot spot (18)late-night find (16)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- FabulouscrobDined on 8/23/2014Ambiance, service, and food was wonderful. They have the very best fried plantains and salsa. Cuban sandwich and ahi tuna were both delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst ExperienceGreatDined on 8/22/2014As someone who loves to find local gems for food, I can certainly say that I have eaten at many places in Rochester. For the amount of money spent, we were expecting a higher class and finer dinning experience. There is no dessert menu (at least nothing offered to us), the drinks were all mixers and no alcohol, almost everyone in our party left 90% of their meal on the plate because it was no good, and the server just dragged his feet so he could socialize rather than serve us. Not that I mind having an entertaining server, but this one seemed like he was stoned and there to entertain; and when he was free he could take orders. I counted 6 tables with people when we arrived - took us 3 hours to finish. I do not recommend!
- PrincecharmingDined on 8/16/2014Our waitor, François was outstanding, he turned an enjoyable experience into an outstanding one.Special Features:
- EhFoodDDined on 8/1/2014The bar was great with very knowledgable staff. Once seated at our table we had a different experience. The server food a very long time to take our orders and then when our food did finally come it some was barely warm and some was scorching hot. The taste of the food collectively around the table was decidedly "bland" and "eh." Would not eat here again, would only stick to drinks.Special Features:
- Fun and good foodSDH17Dined on 7/29/2014A group of us from work met here when one of our members came in from out of town. The bartender let us know that if we ordered our drinks before 6 PM there were several Happy Hour specials, so we ordered and hung out waiting for the group to gather. One member let us know he was tied up in a meeting but the staff happily seated us anyway. We ordered appetizers as a stall tactic, and the server was great about refreshing water & other beverages while we waited. The staff never made us feel rushed. We eventually ordered for our remaining member and the server timed the delivery with his arrival perfectly. Overall a lot of fun and we appreciated their patience! The food was quite good, too!Special Features:
- Just superb!dabombDined on 7/24/2014Not one negative comment to make! The food is divine and the service is exceptional! By far one of the best dining experiences in Rochester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotMrNonameDined on 7/22/2014The food was delicious, and the service was outstanding. Very nice vibe to the whole place. This my new favorite restaurant in the Rochester are.Special Features:
- Did not staytoygalDined on 7/20/2014They did not have our Open Table reservation. There were only drinkers in the place and no diners. We left.
- Havana CabanaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Awesome food, great service and beautiful outdoor dinningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and goodHappydinerVIPDined on 7/2/2014Our visit to Rochester peaked with a perfect summer evening on Havana Cabana's patio, an Old Cuban mojito, and the pulled pork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rum selectionMissingNewMexicoDined on 7/1/2014Havana Cabana is an interesting concept... a Cuban experience in Rochester, NY. The rum selection is great, but most offerings are overpriced. The food is fun and well done, but there's room for improvement. The atmosphere is nice except that it's weird to hear country music played in the dinning room with this Cuban motif going on.Special Features:
- Yummy food during jazz festivalDisappointed2014VIPDined on 6/28/2014This is our second time here. We sat outside and could hear the music from one of the stages at East and Alexander. Drinks are good, food is good, pork with blueberry BBQ sauce, yum. Our server was great!Special Features:
- Perfect getawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Franceswa (spelling?) is hands down the best server we have found ever. The food is to die for, he had us comfortable enough to try new foods and loved them. Live music on Friday and saterday night but just as a back ground so you can still talk. Very romantic. I can go on and on. If you read this try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at Havana CabanarbandrocDined on 6/27/2014Havana Cabana is a great place for dinner. The menu offers something for everyone. This was our fourth visit for dinner and each time we have tried and enjoyed different entrees. The atmosphere is fun and there are lots of interesting rum cocktails to try. We were pleasantly surprised by the amount of outdoor seating which is so nice this time of year. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendBingoknowsDined on 6/21/2014Had dinner with group of family and friends. Cocktails were fabulous, food was awesome, and couldn't beat the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of the carribean in RochesterwendyssmileDined on 6/21/2014This was a wonderful night out we actually ate outdoors on a beautiful day. Dark and stomry and Rum punch was awesome. We ended doing appetizers to try out different items everything was excellent. Wonderful place for a date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backJeffgDined on 6/13/2014Went to celebrate our anniversary and our first time here. Everything was great, from the service to the live music. Food was fresh and delicious and my wife enjoyed the mojito selection. It a an overall great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014The food was excellent. The atmosphere was enjoyable. There was a live band for part of our meal which was good but too loud for us to talk. We were upstairs which was great but a bit too dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "almost" LatinNachalacocineraDined on 6/12/2014When you book in a place called "Havana-Cabana" means that you are looking for mainly three things: Real Latin-America music, meat that d taste like "ropa vieja" and at list a menu in Spanish. Although the place is beautiful, the waiter didn't know Spanish, the musicians were one, fake cuban old stile like-Sicilian man, who didn't know ANY salsa, and was playing a sort of flameco some other fake rythms, unable to get the crow on their feet. The pork-rice and beans with pineapple were interesting, the rice &beans were uncooked and tate-less, my stomach still recall the meat. I can tell it wasn't a latin cook. The stuffwere kind so we ended up having a nice evening, but there is still a lot of work to do. Muchos èxitos!Special Features:
- awesomeMAREDined on 6/11/2014Havana was actually referred to me by a friend who really enjoyed her experience. So when an occasion came up we went there for dinner and the food was great. There were 4 of us so we each ordered a different appetizer so we can try a little of everything and then each got the fish tacos' I cannot say enough about the service, our waitress/server was AWESOMESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls nightLuv2gooutDined on 6/7/2014We were out for a girls night, and food was great, service exceptional! Two of us has the tilapia special, lobster Cobb and the angel hair pasta with shrimp. David was our server! Definitely a fun night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014this was my first visit and I will definitely put Havana Cabana in my rotation of dining occasions.Special Features:
- The worst restaurant ever!!!!!!Foodie2Dined on 6/3/2014This was the worst dining experience I have ever had!!! The food was disgusting I could not even cut into my steak with a steak knife the cut of meat had to be lower then fast food grade D meat and the rice was under cooked. my sister and I literally had two bites of our meal and we were ready to go. When the manager came over she had a very nonchalant attitude and didn't offer anything she was just concerned with the fact that we didn't eat the meal and was upset the we didn't like it and did not want to take it with us. What a waist of $75.......Special Features:
- NopeYogiluvsmeDined on 5/27/2014Service was slow and we were the only people there. I ordered the lobster tail that was not cooked as it was listed. The sautéed collards were......interesting. Will not go again unless it's just for drinks.
- Great restaurantGFTWDined on 5/25/2014Easy on the top list of Rochester restaurants. The food was fantastic, the service superb. Will definitely come again. They just opened for Sunday dinners so there was very view people inside but it gets crowded on other days.Special Features:
- Great Live MusicHal9000VIPDined on 5/23/2014Nice room. Music on Friday night by two guitarists was outstanding, Food was mediocre, but I would go back because I liked the ambiance and the musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed...BouluvDined on 5/20/2014My fiancé loved the beef tournedos!! I went SPECIFICALLY for the all you can eat crab legs! It cost $25 and after my first plate of all you can eat crab legs for $25 I was told they were sold out! They should have said that when I placed order or at least tell me they are running low. The special is from 4-10 and by 8pm the crab legs were gone! Many customers were VERY upset. They need to make sure the supply meets the demand! The crab legs were good though!....the 2 clusters I hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time heredineNdashVIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our first time attending the Havana Cabana. We loved the food, and the atmosphere. The service wasn't the best, but we are definitely willing to come back again. Our server was knowledgeable, yet got our drink order wrong, and had trouble cashing out our bill. On the whole, the Havana Cabana was a fun filled place with great food. We had an awesome evening, aside from the service concerns.Special Features:
- First time and we will be backDisappointed2014VIPDined on 5/17/2014Good food, artfully presented. Had a Groupon. Had a drink, appetizer and dinner. Very flavorful. It would be fun to come for drinks and appetizers. Entrees are more pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerMarlyDined on 5/16/2014Our first visit was on a chilly Friday night - got the table right in front of the fireplace so that was nice. We drank Sangrias and nibbled on plantain chips that came with a smokey salsa. I had the key west chicken which was very good - the cracker crumb coating on the rolled chicken breast was not over-powering and added just the right amount of crunch - served on a bed of sautéed greens and beans and rice - perfectly seasoned and cooked - I really enjoyed this dish. Husband had the flank steak which was served on a bed of greens and had a melted cheese cream sauce - he also enjoyed his entrée. For dessert we shared the coconut flan that failed to ignite but tasted great! Service was awesome. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunch was GreatDonnaDDined on 5/11/2014First time here. I made reservation for brunch on Mother's Day. The service and the food we're both outstanding. I had the Cuban omelet, and my husband the Cuban sandwich, which was so big he brought home half and had it for lunch the next day. My mother-in-law had the Bananas Foster French toast that she loved. The plantain chips were a nice touch to that and the sandwich. We said we'd definitely come back for dinner and want to sit outside on their patio. Our server was great and we also met the owner that checked on us a couple times. We were entertained as well with some live music by a duo who set up in front of the fireplace as was just the right volume. All 4 of us were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/10/2014The flavors in each dish were amazing. Service was a bit slow but we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014The food was phenomenal and the Saturday night music of Dos Guitars, were amazing. One of the BEST restaurants in Rochester!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceDaveDined on 5/3/2014Good food, service and music, the rum selection was outstanding.Special Features:
- The following 40 reviews are from the Havana Cabana reviews archive.
- Almost thereCulinaryChaoticDined on 4/26/2014Havana Cabana has a lot of potential! The portions are large so be prepared to take home a box and eat a second full meal at home. The food is very good, but lacking in some spices. The service was just ok. Our server had a hard time understanding our questions or answering them if they were off script. She just didn't seem very adept. The upstairs room for very dark and we had to ask to have the lights turned up and the speaker was right by our table and so loud we couldn't hear each other. That said, these are all small changes that could make a huge difference and despite the issues I would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambiencePsychDocDined on 4/26/2014Attentive staff and great ambience. However, food could use more spices. To consider itself a carribean style restaurant, food is good in presentation and texture but falls flat on flavor. Adding more carribean flavors would make this restaurant a gem. Also, the menu items should be more inviting to non seafood eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceGoodeatsDined on 4/26/2014This is the 2nd time my husband and I have dined here. The first was very good. This time our children were visiting and we took them to Havana Cabana. It was even better. The appetizers, drinks, dinner and dessert were outstanding. No one was disappointed in what they ordered. Fresh and favorable. Definitely will be going back. Thanks for a great evening.Special Features:
- Great brunch at Havana CabanaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014We had Easter Brunch at Havana Cabana and the menu was very imaginative with a full of items. The myriad drinks available were fun to read through and the bartenders have an in-depth knowledge of their offerings - especially rum. If you go, definitely start your meal with a rum flight. It sets the mood for fun, you learn new things about rum and the bartenders can help you decide which rums to try. The blue crab avocado appetizer was fresh, light, and perfect for brunch (although I would eat it anytime). I only wish there was a bit more fried plantain on the plate as I used it as the utensil to spoon the crab into my mouth. Great flavor / texture combo. The seafood omelet was rich without being heavy and the interior full of seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tropics in RochesterSeafoodLoverDined on 4/15/2014We love Havana Cabana... it's just like finding a piece of the tropics in Rochester, NY. The food is excellent - I love the seafood entrees. We will be back again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotDaleyjessupDined on 4/5/2014Finally, a Cuban restaurant in Rochester. The staff here are great. Friendly, accommodating and positive about their restaurant. Nice roomy bar. The cocktail list is extensive with rum drinks. The sangria is very good. Food was good. At an earlier occasion had the brunch menu and loved the food. Enjoy the seats in the back where we could see the action and music. This time we were seated upstairs to the front of the building. It was too dark. Still a little new, but will definitely return.Special Features: