318 Main Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.havanamaine.com/
- Phone: 2072882822
- Hours of Operation:
We are open for the season - 7 nights/week from 5 pm until around 10 pm every night through at least October 31st, 2012.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cassady Pappas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael 207 288 2822
- Special Events: Check our website for the dates of our popular farm dinners.
A word from Havana
Havana is American fine dining with a Latin flair, great atmosphere, extensive wine list, knowledgeable staff and sophisticated menu. Since opening ten years ago, we have been committed to serving local and organic meats, produce and seafood. We search out New England farmers and fisherfolk to purchase products that are not only great tasting, but great for the environment and local economy. Seafood, lamb and meat dishes are flavored with intelligence and respect and change weekly, sometimes daily. Havana is located in downtown Bar Harbor, just a short stroll up Main Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Havana - Best Restaurants in Bar Harbor ›
Havana reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (83)special occasion (64)romantic (54)notable wine list (54)neighborhood gem (39)great for outdoor dining (22)hot spot (15)good for groups (13)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great place - didn't order wellprussDined on 9/13/2014I have had some truly great meals at Havana. This time, my mind was not thinking clearly and I ordered some different selections from appetizer to entree and I just don't know what I was thinking. I didn't like my selections - but no fault of Havana's. I did order the tamale dish though, I think it was the vegetarian choice - and it was so hot spice wise - I couldn't eat it. Wish the menu had put a temperature gauge on it or mentioned that it was for heat loving palettes. My appetizer was a piece of smoked provolone cheese - and was disappointing. I left feeling bummed out but at least the mojitos and my wine choice were great! I will stick to the classics next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillVIPDined on 9/11/2014The menu at the Havana Restaurant is innovative and worth a visit. The salad, steak and pulled pork were all distinctive and flavorful. The service was excellent. The ambiance is not consistent with what is normally expected for a fine dining experience; more like a casual dining restaurant. However the service and food were outstanding.
- Loved itvermontfoodieDined on 9/9/2014Everything was delicious, well made, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Fabulous meal, the owner opens and pours our wine, waitress is knowledgable and charming.Special Features:
- HavanatasticKandBDined on 9/2/2014A superb wine list, fabulous food preparation, delightful atmosphere and so different there is no other way to describe the experience of dining at Havana. The proximity to the sea and beautiful Acadia National Park makes a visit to Havana a must for travelers to Bar Harbor. This is a dining event that makes the drive worth every minute!Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience ---EVERAuntieCAGDined on 8/30/2014Havana pleased the senses in every possible way. The ambience is fresh and alive, the wait staff are attentive but not overbearing or above it all and the food .... the food - oh I could go on and on about the food. The entrees and vegetables are paired so attentively and creatively so that they balance perfectly. This was without hesitation one of the best meals I have ever had -- EVER!Special Features:
- Treat when visiting Bar HarborjpveganDined on 8/29/2014For a real treat when dining out in Bar Harbor, can't beat Havana. Cuban styled drinks and dinner choices in a relaxed atmosphere. We always prefer the outdoor patio area. Service is superb, as it should be since Havana is for sure not cheap. Most interesting flavors with the menu choices, and very accomodating for vegetarian option.Special Features:
- A Bar Harbor gemslavaVIPDined on 8/26/2014I have no idea why a restaurant of this caliber exists in tourist-laden Bar Harbor, but I'm glad it's here. Probably the best place we've tried in this town. Great food (especially the paella), deep wine list (including by the glass, half bottles, under 30 section, etc etc), and wonderful service. They've also opened an outdoor tapas bar next door - not as fancy, smaller plates, also great. Strongly recommend this place. We eat here at least once on our annual trips.Special Features:
- A find in Bar HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014We ate here on 8/24/2014 and were treated to a lovely experience. Great decor, great food, and just spectacular service. They have an extensive wine list with something like 4000 bottles on site. This can all be very hard to find in a seasonal tourist area the likes of Bar Harbor. The local mussels are enormous and so tasty. We had the Jambalaya, the local fish of the day which was Halibut with locally foraged black trumpet mushrooms, and the lobster. All delicious!Special Features:
- Best on our VacationDCFoodieDined on 8/23/2014We ate in variety of upscale restaurants during our ten days in Maine. This experience was by far the best. The servers did an outstanding job serving our table of nine. The wine list is notable with some excellent finds. The menu was creative and each of us thoroughly enjoyed our main course. The appetizers were delicious and creative, as were the desserts. When we next plan a trip to Bar Harbor, we will reserve a table here before we find a place to stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, well presentedwaltergDined on 8/19/2014Lobster soup was amazingly good. Complimentary blueberry bread was both unusual and tasty, with accompanying habanero-infused olive oil and a black bean-based spread. Tuesday night outside, very pleasant, we had a long relaxed meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve n HeatherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Awesome! From the owner calling me direct on my reservation and making sure our needs were met, to top notch catering from the wait staff, to the food and atmospher, to the talented jazz duo in the corner and finally the owner coming to our table (as he does to tables) asking how everything was. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How about dinner in HavanaHappytoreviewVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is a very specious restaurant and a very busy one, wait staff have a lot on their hands attending to many tables in a large area. The bar seems very busy, and tables book up, but the food is not really Cuban, it is probably an American take on Cuban or Latin cuisine. The taste of the food sort of gets lost in the busy surroundings - food was ok, although the seafood paella did not taste like a paella I've tried in Spanish/Latin restaurants, it was mostly yellow rice with lobster and a few mussels.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantJoseVIPDined on 8/14/2014This place is a gem in town! Every detail is taking care! Friendly atmosphere, and excellent food.Special Features:
- Good Dinner Great ServiceDOWENKYDined on 8/11/2014Havana is a good upscale restaurant. The service was outstanding with personal attention from the owners during the meal. All the food was perfectly prepared and well presented on the plate. A great description of the meal was given by the servers at each course. Wine list is extensive and we suggest asking for assistance from the wine steward!! Best meal we had in 4 nights in Bar Harbor.Special Features:
- Havana-worth dining hereJimjamDined on 8/10/2014Excellent food and drinks. Server was very attentive if slightly pretentious. The only downside was that there were two of us sitting near a group of at least 20 people and so the noise level was higher then we would have liked. Worth it nonetheless for the goat cheese cheesecake alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good flavor combinationsSmallpebblesDined on 8/10/2014For the most part, this was an excellent meal. We all began with a most wonderful fresh heirloom tomato gazpacho...one of the very best we've ever tasted. I had the scallops, which were superb and everyone else seemed to enjoy their entrees, except for one of the party who ordered the vegetarian. Margaritas were well done as well.Special Features:
- GOOD FINE DININGFREDWDined on 8/5/2014WE GO TO THIS PLACE A COUPLE OF TIMES EACH YEAR WE VISIT MDI/BAR HARBOR. THE SERVICE IS SOLID, THE FOOD VERY GOOD (THE TUNA AND RIBEYE ARE EXCELLENT. SOME OF THE DISHES WITH SPANISH INFLUENCE TEND TO UNDERWHELM GIVEN THE PRICE POINT. GREAT AMBIANCE AND THE MOJITO'S ARE RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. THE WINE LIST IS EXPANSIVE AND HAS VERY NICE GLOBAL REPRESENTATION FROM SOME VERY FINE VINEYARDS, BUT MY IMPRESSION IS THEY BUY THE SECOND RATE VINTAGES TO KEEP COSTS IN LINE. THERE ARE SOME VERY GOOD TO EXCELLENT BOTTLES REPRESENTED BUT THEY COME WITH A HEFTY PRICETAG BY ANY STANDARDS. THE INDOOR BAR IS COZY AS CAN BE AND THE NEW OUTDOOR BAR LOOKS LOVELY, BUT WE HAVEN'T SAT OUTSIDE. OVERALL, DEFINITELY A RECOMMENDED RESTAURANT FOR A NICE NIGHT OUT.Special Features:
- A Great MealKaseyVIPDined on 8/5/2014Every dish was really good, but the sweet potato tamale was outstanding. When visiting Bar Harbor, Havana is a place that should not be missed for fine casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceLeeesDined on 8/5/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Havana restaurant. The entire experience: service, food and ambience were fantastic. Food was delicious AND plentiful. Neither of us could finish our meals, even though we wanted to! The servers were amazing - we never wanted for anything. The menu is diverse, tempting us to come back and try another fabulous entree. I highly recommend Havana.Special Features:
- TinajaneTinajaneVIPDined on 8/4/2014Havana was a gem. Came in after a long day of travels. Food was outstanding. Had gluten free corn bread for my husband with wonderful sweet potato butter, bean dip and olive oil. We both had the seafood paella with chunks of lobster, shrimp, smoked chicken, and sausage. What a treat. Would go back in a snap. Wait service was fabulous. Manager walked around checking on tables. Havana has it all.Special Features:
- great find in the Bar Harbor dinTommybnjDined on 8/4/2014a welcome oasis among the lobster/burger Main Street mainstays of Bar Harbor. This eclectic Ameri-cuban has a winner of a paella filled with local seafood and a good spicy dose of chorizo. Also try the provaleta appetizer! Great drinks, too- especially the mojito.
- FabulousMEontheLakeDined on 8/4/2014Great restaurant with a Cuban flare! Loved the spring rolls - the truffle aioli was yummy. The seared tuna was fresh and cooked to perfection but could have used a little more dressing up. Loved the Tres Leches cake. Great mojito. Wonderful service. Dying to go back.Special Features:
- good foodFitzVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a very very nice time at the outdoor bar area where we tasted yummy cocktails. When our table was ready, we were unfortunately seated at the busiest spot which was very disturbing. Food was good but we regret not asking for a different table.
- Very Much PrestigiousTenaftertenVIPDined on 8/2/2014Barkeeper loves making mojitos. Why? Just try three. Food is on point. Bar Harbor seems to be drifting culinary-wise but this is the right direction. I hope they buy the gas station across the street to lose the distraction. Only negative of the place. Very inviting. Great!Special Features:
- Another great dinner!DianeDined on 8/2/2014We've been eating here every summer for years, and have yet to be disappointed with our meals. My companion had the rack of lamb, which he was very pleased with. I had the vegetarian Bolognese, which had the thick textured sauce you get in the conventional sauce, but with tofu, chickpeas and veggies. After dinner we moved over to their new outdoor bar (Parrilla) for a drink, and loved the change of pace. Try a Scorned Woman (shot or Martini) for a real blast of flavor, and heat!Special Features:
- Havana in MaineCJohnDined on 8/2/2014Had two dinners at Havana during our one-week stay in Bar Harbor. Enjoyed our meal and our waiter (Enrique) so much the first time that we returned, although there are other fine places in Bar Harbor. Cuban is nothing like Mexican, and this restaurant has refined some very delicate flavors, whether on seafood or meat. Lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Havana was recommended by a relative and it lived up to its reputation of being a superb restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful Mid-summer mealjackwrongDined on 7/27/2014I have to admit that some of the less flattering reviews gave us pause, but the fact that 2 reviews were submitted about the same day with2 totally different opinions lead me to believe the poor review was an anomaly. I was correct. We had a wonderful, leisurely dining experience that exceeded our expectations. I wonder if the poor review (mostly complaining about how fast the food comes out) was because that reviewer simple wanted to eat rather than dine? We could have not been mote pleased.Special Features:
- SesameBj21Dined on 7/22/2014We have been here several times over the years and I would definitely come again if we were in Bar Harbor. This time I made the reservation through open table as that was the restaurant's choice. I had the opportunity to list my allergies and was pleased that the restaurant acknowledge them when I arrived.Special Features:
- Great! Latin Influence, Not CubanSoFlaFoodieVIPDined on 7/22/2014Don't let the name food you, this is a continental restaurant with a slight latin flare. Not a Cuban restaurant. Food is fantastic. Owner was a bit pushy trying to turn the table over.Special Features:
- Best meal in Bar HarborLauren1124Dined on 7/20/2014From the moment we arrived we were well treated by the staff. The owner Michael even came over to check on us and we wound up chatting about our favorite Maine Co. beers. We were given a delicious bread basket with warm sourdough and a unique cornbread, which came with a corn butter, olive oil, and a white bean spread. My fiancé and I both had the house salad which was incredible. Yummy grilled croutons and a delicious dressing. We also both got the seafood paella as that was our initial reason for choosing the restaurant. We were not disappointed. The paella was chock full of outstanding seafood. We ended with the flour less chocolate cake with creme bruleed avocados! So different and tasty! We will definitely return on our next visit!Special Features:
- Our best dinner in Bar HarborSoozakDined on 7/20/2014We had a fantastic meal at Havana and highly recommend this restaurant. I am gluten-free, and our server brought me some delicious gluten-free corn bread that was sooooo good. She also made sure that the entree I chose (Lobster Moqueca - delicious!) was gluten-free. The wine list was extensive, and both the sommelier and the owner came to our table to talk with us about our selection (L'aventure). We keep a short list of great restaurants that we've been to and will return to, and Havana is now on that list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been better...GK2014Dined on 7/20/2014Our dinner started off great... service was good, the appetizers (house salad and mixed grille) were delicious. Too bad it didn't continue that way. We waited 25-35 minutes AFTER appetizers were cleared before our entrees were brought out. We ended up asking the waiter about our food twice and then the manager before the food arrived. I wish I could say that it was worth the wait, but it wasn't. My paella was average - the chorizo & shrimp were overcooked, the rice was undercooked and the entire dish was too spicy. My husband's pulled pork dish was good, but again, not worth the wait. Our experience wasn't good enough where I would go to this restaurant again.
- Don't BotherEasytopleaseDined on 7/17/2014Unless you like poor service -- or you like a reservation to mean that a decent table is actually available to you -- don' bother with Havana. Noisy, over-priced, snooty staff, mediocre food.
- On our honeymoon- best dinner here!DR2dinersDined on 7/16/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here. The rack of lamb was amazing as was the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicemarkDined on 7/16/2014Excellent service. In a town of boring "tourist food", menu and wine list are exceptional. Comfortable and inviting dining space. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Havana on 7/16/14OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Food was well prepared; the filet mignon excellent. Had a very good wine selection & excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ms. Catherine MattilaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014My husband and I had a vibrant, delicious, eclectic meal there Friday night. The food was spectacularly flavored the ambience was beautiful!the steak and tuna were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal...My2CentsVIPDined on 7/10/2014Very good meal. Service was great. Had the opportunity to dine outside on the back patio. Very nice on a beautiful summer night in Bar Harbor. Definitely a place to check out when you are in town.Special Features: