318 Main Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.havanamaine.com/
- Phone: (207) 288-2822
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS – open 7 days/week through Saturday, November 1st. After that Havana will Be serving dinner 4 days a week Wednesday - Saturday 5pm-10pm after that up to and including NY’s Eve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cassady Pappas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael 207 288 2822x
- Special Events: Check our website for the dates of our popular farm dinners.
A word from Havana
Havana is American fine dining with a Latin flair, great atmosphere, extensive wine list, knowledgeable staff and sophisticated menu. Since opening ten years ago, we have been committed to serving local and organic meats, produce and seafood. We search out New England farmers and fisherfolk to purchase products that are not only great tasting, but great for the environment and local economy. Seafood, lamb and meat dishes are flavored with intelligence and respect and change weekly, sometimes daily. Havana is located in downtown Bar Harbor, just a short stroll up Main Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Havana - Best Restaurants in Bar Harbor ›
Havana reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)special occasion (56)notable wine list (48)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Inedible dessertDianeDined on 11/13/2014The menu was uninspired but the food was quite good, with the exception of the dessert, a flourless chocolate cake with caramel and avocado cream. Clearly, they were reaching for something unique, but they failed utterly. The cake itself was like a heavy piece of soft, unsweet chocolate swimming in caramel and layered with green ooze that did, indeed taste like avocado, an unpleasant pairing of favors, at best. At least our server, seeing our distaste, removed it from our table and our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014This is a must if you want something a little different in Bar Harbor. Great seafood with a latin twist. Service was great and ambiance very nice. Make it a part of your Bar Harbor vacation!Special Features:
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Great spot and service was wonderful. The food was overpriced and not worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAndyDined on 10/18/2014Our waiter Enrique was superb, not only he recommended a delicious plate for us but he also made the evening very enjoyable with pleasant conversation. Certainly a great evening. Thanks Enrique, thanks Havana. We will be back.Special Features:
- Best meal out in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/13/2014If you are visiting Bar Harbor, Maine, make reservations at Havana for dinner. We recently visited this restaurant that was recommended by the innkeeper at our Bed & Breakfast. The food and service were excellent. All the tables were full so I would recommend reservations. The owner personally greeted us. My grilled ribeye steak was the best I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticquietDined on 10/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner, the menu was very interesting, everything was great, from start to finish! Would highly recommend if you are in the area. A very welcome change from the more typical New England fare available everyplace else. A great find!Special Features:
- Good for Bar HarborWalterDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our meal, yet nothing to highly recommend for those who travel a lot. Service was just fine. Room was ok but certainly nothing special.....rather plan actually.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a taste treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014Wow! What a wonderful taste treat we had with ALL our courses. The chef did an excellent job mixing foods and spices to come up with some unique tastes. The sweet potato soup with chicken and chorizo was devine, as was the twist on lobster (a must have). My dining companion had the duck and started with one of the salads, again with an interesting twist. Great wine list and knowledgeable staff to find a perfect bottle of wine to go with the different flavors and spices of our entrees. Our waiter was perfect; friendly and attentive but not overly so. I highly recommend Havana if you would like something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouswhynotDined on 10/5/2014Wonderful evening. Our waiter Enrique was fantastic. Will go for dinner the next time we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, Overrated, UnimpressedIndaknowVIPDined on 10/4/2014CANNOT for the life of us understand what all the raves are about - has the dining world gone insane? Heavy-handed, over-spiced foods lacking in sophistication, carelessly slopped onto plates, with high prices to match New York City, served in dimly lit rooms with amateur wait staff (here is your salad...) ::: Needed all three iPhone flashlights to even see/read the menu, the food wasn't even pretty to look at (see the photos on OpenTable - you'll see why)... AS an alternative, the smaller menu for lighter fare seemed less complicated and less constructed, more clearly explained and interesting, more in line with the "small plates" trend - yet these items were for consumption only at the bar, they declined to allow us to try them...
- Excellent food, great service!LivenLetLiveDined on 10/2/2014We got into Bar Harbor late on Thursday, and got to Havana around 9.30. The level of service and the food were excellent. We had a bunch of the seafood items on the menu(incl the paella) and they were each better than the other!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely superb! We shall return!NikonJeffDined on 9/27/2014The food was superb and the service matched it. Someone visited our table every 10 minutes, to fill the water glasses or just ask if we needed anything, when not taking cocktail (don't miss the mojito), appetizer, wine, entree or dessert orders. And the food...to die for! Mussels, Fat, sweet with a mild broth. Rare tuna 2" thick, sushi grade and perfectly executed. Locally sourced vegetables, uniquely spiced. Dessert, mango-habanero (mango with the tiniest after bite) sorbet. We shall return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerEllenDined on 9/26/2014We started the evening with a great bottle of wine from an extensive list at reasonable prices. I Had the paella and my husband had rack of lamb. Both were excellent. The owner stopped by the table to chat which was nice. Server was very attentive. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Bar HarborHighstndrdsDined on 9/24/2014Havana is so lovely that we ate there 3 nights in a row. The owner comes by and talks to you about your meal, the wine list is fantastic and they make the best Mojitos in the world. The food is top notch. I recommend the mussels with chorizo, the lobster mochecha, the foie gras, the paella and the arroz con leche for dessert. It is not expensive and has a great ambiance in the restaurant and the bar. I would go back to Maine just to eat there. Lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected food adventure!Foodie399Dined on 9/22/2014Right from the start, the reception was excellent! The chef delighted us with unusual combination of spices in his/her dishes from the bread to the amuse-bouches to the cooked spiced (not hot) vegetables to the main meal The mojitos were great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bar harbor favoritehungrycamperDined on 9/21/2014we've been visiting bar harbor for over 20 years. our favorite restaurant is havana and we make sure to have dinner every time we visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Amazing food, ambiance and service! You must visit when in Bar Harbor!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/19/2014This is an outstanding restaurant. The food was exceptional and the staff very attentive. One of the best we've ever been to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDenisVIPDined on 9/19/2014The food was truly quite different, we loved it! That 'touch' of unique flavors was superb. Was for special occasion (anniversary), but if we were from the area we would surely go here again... The staff was friendly and very efficient. Great time, great place.Special Features:
- Great place - didn't order wellprussDined on 9/13/2014I have had some truly great meals at Havana. This time, my mind was not thinking clearly and I ordered some different selections from appetizer to entree and I just don't know what I was thinking. I didn't like my selections - but no fault of Havana's. I did order the tamale dish though, I think it was the vegetarian choice - and it was so hot spice wise - I couldn't eat it. Wish the menu had put a temperature gauge on it or mentioned that it was for heat loving palettes. My appetizer was a piece of smoked provolone cheese - and was disappointing. I left feeling bummed out but at least the mojitos and my wine choice were great! I will stick to the classics next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillVIPDined on 9/11/2014The menu at the Havana Restaurant is innovative and worth a visit. The salad, steak and pulled pork were all distinctive and flavorful. The service was excellent. The ambiance is not consistent with what is normally expected for a fine dining experience; more like a casual dining restaurant. However the service and food were outstanding.
- Loved itvermontfoodieDined on 9/9/2014Everything was delicious, well made, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Fabulous meal, the owner opens and pours our wine, waitress is knowledgable and charming.Special Features:
- HavanatasticKandBDined on 9/2/2014A superb wine list, fabulous food preparation, delightful atmosphere and so different there is no other way to describe the experience of dining at Havana. The proximity to the sea and beautiful Acadia National Park makes a visit to Havana a must for travelers to Bar Harbor. This is a dining event that makes the drive worth every minute!Special Features:
- Best Dining Experience ---EVERAuntieCAGDined on 8/30/2014Havana pleased the senses in every possible way. The ambience is fresh and alive, the wait staff are attentive but not overbearing or above it all and the food .... the food - oh I could go on and on about the food. The entrees and vegetables are paired so attentively and creatively so that they balance perfectly. This was without hesitation one of the best meals I have ever had -- EVER!Special Features:
- Treat when visiting Bar HarborjpveganDined on 8/29/2014For a real treat when dining out in Bar Harbor, can't beat Havana. Cuban styled drinks and dinner choices in a relaxed atmosphere. We always prefer the outdoor patio area. Service is superb, as it should be since Havana is for sure not cheap. Most interesting flavors with the menu choices, and very accomodating for vegetarian option.Special Features:
- A Bar Harbor gemslavaVIPDined on 8/26/2014I have no idea why a restaurant of this caliber exists in tourist-laden Bar Harbor, but I'm glad it's here. Probably the best place we've tried in this town. Great food (especially the paella), deep wine list (including by the glass, half bottles, under 30 section, etc etc), and wonderful service. They've also opened an outdoor tapas bar next door - not as fancy, smaller plates, also great. Strongly recommend this place. We eat here at least once on our annual trips.Special Features:
- A find in Bar HarborOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014We ate here on 8/24/2014 and were treated to a lovely experience. Great decor, great food, and just spectacular service. They have an extensive wine list with something like 4000 bottles on site. This can all be very hard to find in a seasonal tourist area the likes of Bar Harbor. The local mussels are enormous and so tasty. We had the Jambalaya, the local fish of the day which was Halibut with locally foraged black trumpet mushrooms, and the lobster. All delicious!Special Features:
- Best on our VacationDCFoodieDined on 8/23/2014We ate in variety of upscale restaurants during our ten days in Maine. This experience was by far the best. The servers did an outstanding job serving our table of nine. The wine list is notable with some excellent finds. The menu was creative and each of us thoroughly enjoyed our main course. The appetizers were delicious and creative, as were the desserts. When we next plan a trip to Bar Harbor, we will reserve a table here before we find a place to stay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, well presentedwaltergDined on 8/19/2014Lobster soup was amazingly good. Complimentary blueberry bread was both unusual and tasty, with accompanying habanero-infused olive oil and a black bean-based spread. Tuesday night outside, very pleasant, we had a long relaxed meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steve n HeatherOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Awesome! From the owner calling me direct on my reservation and making sure our needs were met, to top notch catering from the wait staff, to the food and atmospher, to the talented jazz duo in the corner and finally the owner coming to our table (as he does to tables) asking how everything was. Awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How about dinner in HavanaHappytoreviewVIPDined on 8/15/2014This is a very specious restaurant and a very busy one, wait staff have a lot on their hands attending to many tables in a large area. The bar seems very busy, and tables book up, but the food is not really Cuban, it is probably an American take on Cuban or Latin cuisine. The taste of the food sort of gets lost in the busy surroundings - food was ok, although the seafood paella did not taste like a paella I've tried in Spanish/Latin restaurants, it was mostly yellow rice with lobster and a few mussels.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantJoseVIPDined on 8/14/2014This place is a gem in town! Every detail is taking care! Friendly atmosphere, and excellent food.Special Features:
- Good Dinner Great ServiceDOWENKYDined on 8/11/2014Havana is a good upscale restaurant. The service was outstanding with personal attention from the owners during the meal. All the food was perfectly prepared and well presented on the plate. A great description of the meal was given by the servers at each course. Wine list is extensive and we suggest asking for assistance from the wine steward!! Best meal we had in 4 nights in Bar Harbor.Special Features:
- Havana-worth dining hereJimjamDined on 8/10/2014Excellent food and drinks. Server was very attentive if slightly pretentious. The only downside was that there were two of us sitting near a group of at least 20 people and so the noise level was higher then we would have liked. Worth it nonetheless for the goat cheese cheesecake alone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good flavor combinationsSmallpebblesDined on 8/10/2014For the most part, this was an excellent meal. We all began with a most wonderful fresh heirloom tomato gazpacho...one of the very best we've ever tasted. I had the scallops, which were superb and everyone else seemed to enjoy their entrees, except for one of the party who ordered the vegetarian. Margaritas were well done as well.Special Features:
- GOOD FINE DININGFREDWDined on 8/5/2014WE GO TO THIS PLACE A COUPLE OF TIMES EACH YEAR WE VISIT MDI/BAR HARBOR. THE SERVICE IS SOLID, THE FOOD VERY GOOD (THE TUNA AND RIBEYE ARE EXCELLENT. SOME OF THE DISHES WITH SPANISH INFLUENCE TEND TO UNDERWHELM GIVEN THE PRICE POINT. GREAT AMBIANCE AND THE MOJITO'S ARE RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. THE WINE LIST IS EXPANSIVE AND HAS VERY NICE GLOBAL REPRESENTATION FROM SOME VERY FINE VINEYARDS, BUT MY IMPRESSION IS THEY BUY THE SECOND RATE VINTAGES TO KEEP COSTS IN LINE. THERE ARE SOME VERY GOOD TO EXCELLENT BOTTLES REPRESENTED BUT THEY COME WITH A HEFTY PRICETAG BY ANY STANDARDS. THE INDOOR BAR IS COZY AS CAN BE AND THE NEW OUTDOOR BAR LOOKS LOVELY, BUT WE HAVEN'T SAT OUTSIDE. OVERALL, DEFINITELY A RECOMMENDED RESTAURANT FOR A NICE NIGHT OUT.Special Features:
- A Great MealKaseyVIPDined on 8/5/2014Every dish was really good, but the sweet potato tamale was outstanding. When visiting Bar Harbor, Havana is a place that should not be missed for fine casual dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceLeeesDined on 8/5/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Havana restaurant. The entire experience: service, food and ambience were fantastic. Food was delicious AND plentiful. Neither of us could finish our meals, even though we wanted to! The servers were amazing - we never wanted for anything. The menu is diverse, tempting us to come back and try another fabulous entree. I highly recommend Havana.Special Features:
- TinajaneTinajaneVIPDined on 8/4/2014Havana was a gem. Came in after a long day of travels. Food was outstanding. Had gluten free corn bread for my husband with wonderful sweet potato butter, bean dip and olive oil. We both had the seafood paella with chunks of lobster, shrimp, smoked chicken, and sausage. What a treat. Would go back in a snap. Wait service was fabulous. Manager walked around checking on tables. Havana has it all.Special Features: