318 Main Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.havanamaine.com/
- Phone: (207) 288-2822
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS – open 7 days/week through Saturday, November 1st. After that Havana will Be serving dinner 4 days a week Wednesday - Saturday 5pm-10pm after that up to and including NY’s Eve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cassady Pappas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael 207 288 2822x
- Special Events: Check our website for the dates of our popular farm dinners.
A word from Havana
Havana is American fine dining with a Latin flair, great atmosphere, extensive wine list, knowledgeable staff and sophisticated menu. Since opening ten years ago, we have been committed to serving local and organic meats, produce and seafood. We search out New England farmers and fisherfolk to purchase products that are not only great tasting, but great for the environment and local economy. Seafood, lamb and meat dishes are flavored with intelligence and respect and change weekly, sometimes daily. Havana is located in downtown Bar Harbor, just a short stroll up Main Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Havana - Best Restaurants in Bar Harbor ›
Havana reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)special occasion (56)notable wine list (48)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Havana--great spot in Bar HarborJeanDined on 10/22/2013We had dinner this week at Havana and it was really good. They brought us a sample of the mushroom soup to see if we would like it--we did and then we had the swordfish with a black bean sauce which was delicious. As usual the breat was terrific. Can't wait to get back there next summer.Special Features:
- A gem on Bar Harbor...TimShortDined on 10/16/2013Eclectic menu with a wonderful off-shore flavor. Filet mignon was fantastic! Complemented by a very robust wine list. Service was attentive and staff is very knowledgeable. Great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the best restaurantArminDined on 10/14/2013This is the best restaurant in Bar Harbor and the Most stylish oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting and deliciousHfd422Dined on 10/13/2013We were seated immediately at the time of our reservation. Our waiter was timely with almost everything, and made several good recommendations. The food was outstanding and I was surprised at how large of a portion of the paella I received. The ambiance was a nice combination of formal and casual. I definitely recommend the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a return visitRosieVIPDined on 10/12/2013I come to Bar Harbor to go hiking every fall. I came here last year and the food was very solid so I made a return visit and was not disappointed. I really like their wine list and enjoyed a 3 glass sampler. The breads are wonderful along with the bean spread. I had the kale and chorizo soup which had a great flavor but just wish it was a little more "hearty" with more texture. The rack of lamb medium rare was tender and juicy and came with a butternut squash and quinoa side. The ambiance is also very nice and I hope to return next year!Special Features:
- A hidden gem in Bar HarborSeanG63Dined on 10/11/2013This gem in Bar Harbor is on the "edge" of downtown but well worth the short walk. We had a tremendous dinner for 2 on Friday night and decided to return 2 days later to celebrate my 50th birthday with a group of 8. The service was impeccable, food is interesting and amazing and the wine list is nothing short of spectacular. The owner, Michael, is charming and welcoming. Despite the high level of cuisine and the wine list, it is not pretentious but very warm and inviting. I can't wait to return to Bar Harbor just to dine here again. Hands down, 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in Bar HarborAbigailDined on 10/11/2013First, definitely order the Paella. It you are worried about having to pick apart messy shrimp with your fingers, don't. The shrimp is already cleaned. Second, I worked for a decade in high-end fine dining. Not only was the food over-the-moon delicious, but (and this is a first for me) I didn't have even one critique about the service. Everything was correct, timed well, and placed well. Not to mention, the owner went around greeted the tables and asked how everything was. It was a busy night, but we never felt rushed and the service felt relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A anniversary tradition whenLuvBHDined on 10/9/2013A anniversary tradition when visiting Bar Harbor. Always look forward to it. Menu has many selections to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a thoroughly delightfulRockyDined on 9/28/2013For a thoroughly delightful evening, Havana is a perfect choice. From the creative food to the thoughtful service, a better dining experience would be hard to find.Special Features:
- Innovative and wonderfulLaurieSVIPDined on 9/24/2013The service is great, the food creative and delicious. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Good, not greatMowglivtVIPDined on 9/21/2013A little disappointed in our return here after a few years . Our waitress was superb - paying attention to our needs ( my husband wanted a simple meal, so asked for entree plain, etc) but I was disappointed in my swordfish, the special of the day, as it was dry and overcooked. My flan dessert was nice, but not special in any way. Was expecting more, to be sure.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2013Excellently done food, great for allergies. The pork app was awesome, duck was delicious, salmon executed well. Certainly happy with it all, and not that pricey (just over $100 dinner for 2 with apps and wine).Special Features:
- Almost missed this gem ifFromIndependenceOHVIPDined on 9/18/2013Almost missed this gem if it hadn't been for Open Table. Such a gracious owner and staff. The wine list could be overwhelming, but the staff suggestion for our price range was terrific (plus it was half price Wednesday for some wines). Menu selections were so creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were excellent.MelanieDined on 9/17/2013Food and service were excellent. We were impressed also that the manager came over several times to check on us and recommend dishes. His suggestions were right on. Only drawback was being in the back room, not as nice as the front room. There was also a family with very young children contributing to the otherwise quiet noise level. Maybe use this back room for large parties and families and keep the front for couples and smaller parties.Special Features:
- Simple awesomeAnniversaryDined on 9/16/2013Wonderful Food Exzellent Wines Great Staff We came the First Time, but we will be back Again SoonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, but pricey!AllieDined on 9/14/2013We made a reservation to celebrate my boyfriends birthday and the atmosphere was great, the service was top notch, and food was really good. However, the meal was pricey so be prepared to drop at least $100 per couple. I'd go back but only for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary treatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2013Celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary. Was very nice even though our table was in a corner with fees of walls.Special Features:
- Amazing paellaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/11/2013Three of us had dinner recently, one ordered paella, and that was the clear favorite! The pork and the scallops were okay but not spectacular. The wine list was extensive, the sommelier was very helpful. Save room for dessert, the affogato (espresso, salted caramel ice cream and dulce de leche) was a perfect marriage of flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal we had in Bar Harbor!swduncanDined on 9/8/2013Best meal we had in Bar Harbor! We had the New York steak & lamb shank. Lamb was cooked perfectly. first time ever someone cooked it is well if I would. extensive wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fresh, always good.FrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/7/2013Always fresh, always good. Special touches and the largest wine list I have ever seen make this gem unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2013I always love finding a restaurant that has a really creative chef, who's preparations live up to the menu. Havana lived up to some unusual and delicious dishes. Definitely worth going back toSpecial Features:
- A Must VisitJavajunkieVIPDined on 9/6/2013We ate way too much -- it was so good though! just like last year and I'm sure I'll be back next year. The building has alot of history and character as does the food. I had swordfish which was cooked perfectly (although sweet potatoes would not be my first choice of a side), the smoked cheese and chorizo was a great combination and the tomatoe soup with rabbit and other proteins in it was perfect after a chilly afternoon kayak. Don't miss this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is overrated.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2013The restaurant is overrated. My wife's paella order was salty and had very little seafoods. My order of chili relleno was average at best.
- Food, atmosphere, service,LuckyJBDined on 9/5/2013Food, atmosphere, service, everything was great! Staff, management, and owners are very attentive and made our experience very special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerYbradDined on 9/4/2013We have always gone to Havana for special occasions over the years. This year was a bit disappointing. The food was good, but not spectacular. We ordered the soup (black bean - very good), house salad and foie gras-topped filet mignon - admittedly, not the most adventurous of choices. We don't eat meat often and look forward to the filet at Havana, but mine was fairly flavorless and actually a bit suet-y. It was served with a roasted broccoli rabe that was so tough my husband didn't even attempt to eat it. It tasted good but I had to saw through mine. Dessert was wonderful and as always, the waitstaff was friendly, efficient, and gracious. Of course we will go back. One so-so dinner will not discourage us!Special Features:
- Great Dinner @ Havana'sBigrottDined on 9/4/2013What a GREAT dining experience...Mom and I cannot say enough! Great Food ,Great Service and Great Ambiance! We recommend this place to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- False advertisingFoodieDined on 9/2/2013The restaurant presents itself as using local foods but my scallops clearly came from somewhere else as Maine scallops are not as large as dinner plates.Special Features:
- Best Anniversary!GunthersDined on 8/31/2013Thanks for making our 29th Anniversary so special! The champagne I requested, flowers, and the painted dessert plate! Absolutely the best Anniversary dinner ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Havana ExperienceriverdwellersDined on 8/31/2013Loved the spirit of the restaurant, the cocktails, the appetizer and the pork, except I would have liked the vegetable to have been cooked more to my liking and I wasn't a fan of the quinoa. But my husband and I loved the experience of Havana and would go there again.......for a special occasion. We will also recommend the sweet place to others. Speaking of sweet........The dessert of "3 milk" angel food cake with a glass of Baileys was the best!!!Special Features:
- Only if Cuban is a must.LuvBarHarborDined on 8/30/2013The food was ok, nothing memorable. The wine sommelier, Andrew, was very charming and helpful. Definately the best part of the experience. If you really must have cuban food, go for it. If you are looking for the best meal in Bar Harbor, there are better places to go.
- Lived up to its reputationRosieDined on 8/30/2013We had our first dinner at Havana and we liked it very much. The menu is inventive, food is fresh, well prepared and flavorful. Service is friendly, accommodating, and un-rushed. The atmosphere is not stuffy or super-fancy, but enough to make you want to dress up a little. The wine list is extensive with some surprising finds. We definitely recommend this to foodies and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A creative menu with somelocaldinerVIPDined on 8/30/2013A creative menu with some hits and some misses. The live flamenco guitar music at the bar is superb and sets the mood. try the mojito. The noisy kids at multiple tables detracted from this dining experience in the back room. as others have noted, the rice with the chicken was not cooked and was hard and inedible. would give this place another try as I suspect it is the best that Bar Harbor has to offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you're in Bar Harbor andOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/29/2013If you're in Bar Harbor and looking for a nice night out, this is the place. Very good food, great waiters/waitresses, good atmosphere, not all "seafoody" (not that there's not seafood!). We love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location, LocationSouthernComfortDined on 8/24/2013Havana is located in Bar Harbor, away from the pub scene and crowds. The establishment is a rambling, informal, one floor plan with a very small bar area and with small, adjoining rooms. If anyone noteworthy was dining there (e.g. Obama's or Martha Stewart's friends), the restaurant as a whole would largely be unaware of the fact. The menu offered a standard choice of continental entrees, some served on plantains and somewhat spicy, hence the Latin theme. It apparently has a loyal and enthusiastic following as it was at capacity until nearly 9 pm (Sat). Our experience was that there were a number of quality restaurants in Bar Harbor that competed easily with this restaurant's food and service.Special Features:
- DecentdisappointedDined on 8/23/2013The appetizers were great, but the entrees were mediocre, especially for the price. We ha a reservation and were seated 20 minutes after our scheduled time. For the inconvenience we were given the spring rolls and they were yummy! The scallops were incredibly spicy and the paella was mediocre. The crab cakes were great!Special Features:
- Not that good!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2013First, mojoitos not that good. Any bar in Bar Harbor better. Had the tuna tatar good nothing to get excited about. Ordered filet which was very good. However asked for it to be rare to medium rare and it was well done. Also ordered paella, first order rice was not cooked. Manager came over and took it back to kitchen. Second order came out and it seemed like they added water and microwaved it. No flavor at all. Wine they suggested was terrible. Manager was rude especially after we sent food back. Never came back after food delivered to check on it. Refused to take it off the bill since we didn't send it back again. Waiter was good and felt bad for him. Would not recommend at all.
- Excellent anniversary dinnerHappyanniDined on 8/21/2013We couldn't have been happier with Havana for our wedding anniversary. Every single staff member made it feel special the manager even made sure that we weren't bothered by a louder party near us. The food was exceptional: creative, perfectly cooked & local/organic. Highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to expectationsmstoehr112VIPDined on 8/21/2013On our recent visit to Havana we had a disappointing dining experience. The service was very slow and the restaurant was very noisy and crowded. While the starter salads were very good the main courses were below average.
- Disappointment in HavanaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/20/2013Have always enjoyed the food @ this restaurant...but not this time. Made resv. 3 wks in advanced & were seated out back in a small room ready to serve a private party of 14! We asked to be moved & they seated us in the front room where most diners are seated. Raw tuna app was good...but very little tuna...mostly fruit. Main course was Seafood Paella....one LIttleneck clam, 4 sm mussels, one scallop, lots/lots of saffron rice & sm shrimp...certainly not worth $34. Very disappointed in the changes here...w/not be back.
- wonderful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2013I went to Havana for the second time in four years. The last time was good, this time was outstanding. The food was creative, the service was excellent. I would recommend it gladly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.