318 Main Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.havanamaine.com/
- Phone: (207) 288-2822
- Hours of Operation:
HOURS – open 7 days/week through Saturday, November 1st. After that Havana will Be serving dinner 4 days a week Wednesday - Saturday 5pm-10pm after that up to and including NY’s Eve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Cassady Pappas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Michael 207 288 2822x
- Special Events: Check our website for the dates of our popular farm dinners.
A word from Havana
Havana is American fine dining with a Latin flair, great atmosphere, extensive wine list, knowledgeable staff and sophisticated menu. Since opening ten years ago, we have been committed to serving local and organic meats, produce and seafood. We search out New England farmers and fisherfolk to purchase products that are not only great tasting, but great for the environment and local economy. Seafood, lamb and meat dishes are flavored with intelligence and respect and change weekly, sometimes daily. Havana is located in downtown Bar Harbor, just a short stroll up Main Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Havana - Best Restaurants in Bar Harbor ›
Havana reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)special occasion (56)notable wine list (48)romantic (47)neighborhood gem (46)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- great find in the Bar Harbor dinTommybnjVIPDined on 8/4/2014a welcome oasis among the lobster/burger Main Street mainstays of Bar Harbor. This eclectic Ameri-cuban has a winner of a paella filled with local seafood and a good spicy dose of chorizo. Also try the provaleta appetizer! Great drinks, too- especially the mojito.
- FabulousMEontheLakeVIPDined on 8/4/2014Great restaurant with a Cuban flare! Loved the spring rolls - the truffle aioli was yummy. The seared tuna was fresh and cooked to perfection but could have used a little more dressing up. Loved the Tres Leches cake. Great mojito. Wonderful service. Dying to go back.Special Features:
- good foodFitzVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had a very very nice time at the outdoor bar area where we tasted yummy cocktails. When our table was ready, we were unfortunately seated at the busiest spot which was very disturbing. Food was good but we regret not asking for a different table.
- Very Much PrestigiousTenaftertenVIPDined on 8/2/2014Barkeeper loves making mojitos. Why? Just try three. Food is on point. Bar Harbor seems to be drifting culinary-wise but this is the right direction. I hope they buy the gas station across the street to lose the distraction. Only negative of the place. Very inviting. Great!Special Features:
- Another great dinner!DianeDined on 8/2/2014We've been eating here every summer for years, and have yet to be disappointed with our meals. My companion had the rack of lamb, which he was very pleased with. I had the vegetarian Bolognese, which had the thick textured sauce you get in the conventional sauce, but with tofu, chickpeas and veggies. After dinner we moved over to their new outdoor bar (Parrilla) for a drink, and loved the change of pace. Try a Scorned Woman (shot or Martini) for a real blast of flavor, and heat!Special Features:
- Havana in MaineCJohnDined on 8/2/2014Had two dinners at Havana during our one-week stay in Bar Harbor. Enjoyed our meal and our waiter (Enrique) so much the first time that we returned, although there are other fine places in Bar Harbor. Cuban is nothing like Mexican, and this restaurant has refined some very delicate flavors, whether on seafood or meat. Lots of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Havana was recommended by a relative and it lived up to its reputation of being a superb restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 384 reviews are from the Havana reviews archive.
- Wonderful Mid-summer mealjackwrongDined on 7/27/2014I have to admit that some of the less flattering reviews gave us pause, but the fact that 2 reviews were submitted about the same day with2 totally different opinions lead me to believe the poor review was an anomaly. I was correct. We had a wonderful, leisurely dining experience that exceeded our expectations. I wonder if the poor review (mostly complaining about how fast the food comes out) was because that reviewer simple wanted to eat rather than dine? We could have not been mote pleased.Special Features:
- SesameBj21Dined on 7/22/2014We have been here several times over the years and I would definitely come again if we were in Bar Harbor. This time I made the reservation through open table as that was the restaurant's choice. I had the opportunity to list my allergies and was pleased that the restaurant acknowledge them when I arrived.Special Features:
- Great! Latin Influence, Not CubanSoFlaFoodieVIPDined on 7/22/2014Don't let the name food you, this is a continental restaurant with a slight latin flare. Not a Cuban restaurant. Food is fantastic. Owner was a bit pushy trying to turn the table over.Special Features:
- Best meal in Bar HarborLauren1124Dined on 7/20/2014From the moment we arrived we were well treated by the staff. The owner Michael even came over to check on us and we wound up chatting about our favorite Maine Co. beers. We were given a delicious bread basket with warm sourdough and a unique cornbread, which came with a corn butter, olive oil, and a white bean spread. My fiancé and I both had the house salad which was incredible. Yummy grilled croutons and a delicious dressing. We also both got the seafood paella as that was our initial reason for choosing the restaurant. We were not disappointed. The paella was chock full of outstanding seafood. We ended with the flour less chocolate cake with creme bruleed avocados! So different and tasty! We will definitely return on our next visit!Special Features:
- Our best dinner in Bar HarborSoozakDined on 7/20/2014We had a fantastic meal at Havana and highly recommend this restaurant. I am gluten-free, and our server brought me some delicious gluten-free corn bread that was sooooo good. She also made sure that the entree I chose (Lobster Moqueca - delicious!) was gluten-free. The wine list was extensive, and both the sommelier and the owner came to our table to talk with us about our selection (L'aventure). We keep a short list of great restaurants that we've been to and will return to, and Havana is now on that list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been better...GK2014Dined on 7/20/2014Our dinner started off great... service was good, the appetizers (house salad and mixed grille) were delicious. Too bad it didn't continue that way. We waited 25-35 minutes AFTER appetizers were cleared before our entrees were brought out. We ended up asking the waiter about our food twice and then the manager before the food arrived. I wish I could say that it was worth the wait, but it wasn't. My paella was average - the chorizo & shrimp were overcooked, the rice was undercooked and the entire dish was too spicy. My husband's pulled pork dish was good, but again, not worth the wait. Our experience wasn't good enough where I would go to this restaurant again.
- Don't BotherEasytopleaseDined on 7/17/2014Unless you like poor service -- or you like a reservation to mean that a decent table is actually available to you -- don' bother with Havana. Noisy, over-priced, snooty staff, mediocre food.
- On our honeymoon- best dinner here!DR2dinersDined on 7/16/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner here. The rack of lamb was amazing as was the steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and servicemarkDined on 7/16/2014Excellent service. In a town of boring "tourist food", menu and wine list are exceptional. Comfortable and inviting dining space. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Havana on 7/16/14OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Food was well prepared; the filet mignon excellent. Had a very good wine selection & excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ms. Catherine MattilaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014My husband and I had a vibrant, delicious, eclectic meal there Friday night. The food was spectacularly flavored the ambience was beautiful!the steak and tuna were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good meal...My2CentsVIPDined on 7/10/2014Very good meal. Service was great. Had the opportunity to dine outside on the back patio. Very nice on a beautiful summer night in Bar Harbor. Definitely a place to check out when you are in town.Special Features:
- pauljcpauljcDined on 7/9/2014Havana was a great find in a touristy location. Food quality, wine selections (especially on half-price Wednesdays) and ambiance were unmatched in the area and provided a needed respite from the touring crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findJennDined on 7/8/2014Tucked away within the many touristy spots, Havanas was a fantastic find. Great for foodies, the food, service, and feel of the place was unique. Nothing touristy about this place. Great food.Special Features:
- Delicious dinnerrunner5kDined on 7/8/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Havana. The staff was very knowledgeable regarding gluten free, and provided delicious gluten free bread! The owner, Michael, stopped by to make sure everything was to our liking and even offered other restaurant recommendations in Bar Harbor. We love Havana and will make sure to visit the next time we are in Bar Harbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in every way!pja0355Dined on 7/5/2014This was a terrific experience! I can see why the Obama's ate here. Order Mojitos'!Special Features:
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2014Dinner for us on the 4th was not the wow I expected. We were promptly seated and had Enrique as our server. He did an excellent job throughout our service and seemed at times to be trying to do way too much, while others did not jump in to work as a team. We started with the Proveleta ($11) and that is an excellent dish. My wife had the scallop entrée ($29) and she enjoyed it a great deal. I went with the Ribeye for $32 and expected it to be a really decent piece of beef, but it was not (1/2” thick and looked like a Walmart steak). I had a hard time cutting through it and the chimichurri sauce was way too lemony. We did not have dessert and might be back for the new bar area and tapas menu next door.
- HavanaLaurenWJDined on 7/3/2014I was excited to go to Havana for the first time while on vacation in Bar Harbor. The menu looked fantastic, and my husband and I love Cuban food. When we arrived, we immediately loved that they had a guitarist playing live music by the bar. The bartender was friendly, and he made an excellent mojito. Once we were seated, we ordered an appetizer and our entrees. The food came out quickly, but the quality was very disappointing. Some of the food was overcooked, and some was just bland. We were tempted by the interesting selection of desserts though and ordered a slice of cake. My husband and I love cake and have never left a slice unfinished. However, the cake we had was so terrible, we couldn't eat more than a bite each. Wouldn't recommendSpecial Features:
- Just OKflyingfoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014We were promptly seated for our 8pm reservation. Our server was professional and welcoming informing us of the evenings specials presenting us with the evenings amuse. My husband ordered the pulled pork in banana leaf and I ordered the halibut, one of the evenings specials. When ordering my fish I specified that I did not want the fish over cooke. The predominant seasoning on that came through wit each bite of fish was salt! The fish was a bit over cooked and too salty. The pulled pork was a bit on the dry side but flavorful. The wine selection was expansive for a small restaurant. We each had salads to start. The gap between our salads and main courses was extremely long with our server apologizing for the delay. Overall just OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuing a great traditionjaybyerDined on 6/29/2014We have enjoyed Havana once or twice a season for many years. They have an interesting menu, great execution, and good wait staff. One of the best on MDISpecial Features:
- 44th wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014The service as well as the cocktail, wine, appetizer and entree selections were terrific. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening and will definitely dine at Havana again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in Bar HarborBostonDinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014Cocktails are a weak spot, so have wine or stick to mojitos, but the food and service are reliably excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- None of the usual suspects...Poppi47VIPDined on 6/25/2014Every menu item and the wine list was boldly different.....and Havana delivered over and over again with amazing flavors. It was terrific.Special Features:
- Sapphires and LoveHappyCoupleDined on 6/21/2014Our 45th wedding anniversary was approaching and we wanted to have an excellent dining experience to celebrate. While we have lived on Mount Desert Island for four years, we had never tried Havana. On the recommendation of friends, we made our reservation online, mentioning that we would be celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary. I wore my sapphire earrings (a gift from my husband many years ago - how did he know then that our love and laughter would last this long?). We arrived and the hostess wished us happy anniversary. Our table had a Happy Anniversary card from Havana to us. We had a wonderful wine and an incredibly delicious meal served well. It was the perfect experience for our occasion. Thank you, Havana!Special Features:
- Guaranteed ExperienceMunchingMainerDined on 6/15/2014From the moment you enter Havana, you know you are in someplace special. The smells, the ambiance, the smiles on the customer's faces, everything points to a wonderful experience. I had been exposed to quite a lot of information regarding Havanna before coming and it was hard to believe it could live up to the hype. I can easily say it did. The waiter was delightful. There was someone there to fill my water glass every 90 seconds. I had the rabbit ear steak. It was to die for. My gf had the halibut and was delighted. All I can say is that the chef is an artist. The price will make it a fairly rare treat, but what a massive treat! Thank you Havanna for a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SubparBostonian4lifeVIPDined on 6/13/2014Decided to try Havana based on the many positive reviews. We started with salads both of which had terrible, overly acidic dressings. Entrées: The "gnocchi" was essentially bland mashed potatoes that had been rolled into tiny balls, dropped into boiling water, and then seared on a pan until burnt. When I informed the server that it wasn't my favorite. He became upset and said "You should have said something sooner." The manager came out and I explained that the food (the gnocchi in particular) was not very good. He asked if we wanted something else. At that point we were both tired and disappointed. They still charged us full price for the drinks, wine, salads, and entrees. I will not return to this restaurant in the future.
- Fantastic on all accountsisoqualityDined on 5/30/2014We pay more here for dinner out than we would usually - but it is worth it. The quality of the food, the flavor, the creativity and just plain deliciousness is truly outstanding. Service is friendly, not pretentious, as well - and the servers always seem to have interesting lives of their own! And just to confirm: their mojitos are really the very best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely vibe & unique cuisine!TravelingtwentysomethingsDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I came here as part of a celebration for his promotion in May. The atmosphere was beautiful and cozy, the food was unique and delicious and the service without flaw. It was on the expensive side for us, but worthy of a splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super hospitableLillianDined on 5/21/2014Service and ambience were excellent. Went right before the Memorial Day weekend so wasn't packed and made reservations on OpenTable that afternoon. The general manager was great and personally checked on all the tables. We loved the trio of dips that they brought out for the bread, especially the white bean dip. The paella was spectacular and is one of their signature dishes. We had the lobster moqueca which is also a popular dish that they have been fine tuning. We thought it would be better with more grilled pineapple and when we mentioned this to the GM he went to the kitchen and brought us out extra pineapple! Definitely somewhere we'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagellyDined on 5/21/2014The Spring Salad was spectacular. Mixed greens with local bacon and an amazing Cuban egg. Loved that. The paella was very good, with the seafood cooked properly and the rice very flavorful. The pulled pork was much less successful...VERY dry. Have never had pork that dry and tough. The rice side dish was good, but very disappointed with the pork, which I could barely chew despite it's small pieces. The Tres Leches cake for dessert was good. Service was very attentive, and the decor is really pretty and fresh. When we spend this much on a special dinner, we expect the food to be flawless. Don't order the pork! Wish I had ordered something else, but I thought the pork dish would be one of their specialties. Wrong!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant in Bar HarborSarahDined on 5/9/2014I went here last weekend for dinner, and it was truly a wonderful meal. We were originally drawn in by the fact that the restaurant has an organic and local focus, and the food was truly stellar. We started out with cocktails (a caipirinha and a pisco sour) and then moved on appetizers (mushroom spring rolls) and entrees (seafood paella and a pork dish whose name I can't remember). Everything was amazing and the service was perfect.Special Features:
- stumbled upon this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2013stumbled upon this restaurant via opentable on an off season outing to bar harbor. happy to have found dining and surprisingly enjoyed the "recommended local favorite" spring rolls :) thank you :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what was billed to beJbor40Dined on 10/26/2013Not what was billed to be from previous reviews on your website