Havana - Alma de Cuba
94 Christopher St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Havana - Alma de Cuba
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.havananyc.com/
- Phone: 2122423800
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Gerardo Tlapa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: The Havana Room, available for parties up to 65 guests, is ideal for birthdays, rehearsal dinners, christening and anniversaries.
A word from Havana - Alma de Cuba
Tucked in a cozy street corner in the heart of the West Village, Havana Alma de Cuba exudes the warmth and flavor of an authentic Cuban restaurant. The rhythmic palpitations of salsa and merengue, and the extraordinary scents of exotic dishes permeates the air. More Information: email@example.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Havana - Alma de Cuba reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)great for outdoor dining (19)great for brunch (13)romantic (11)good for groups (10)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Live music during dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/12/2014Had a lovely meal here Friday night with my wife. Very romantic with a glass of cava and live music. Food was delicious, we had ceviche, yuca, snapper, and salmon. Right in the heart of Christopher street. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerpaleomjcDined on 8/16/2014Excellent dining experience. Pork tenderloin and pescado enjoyed at the table. Also wonderful caipirinha and tamarind drink (mojito?). Service terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerRedrDined on 7/19/2014I brought my father all the way down to the city from CT to meet up with family and friends for his birthday! We had a wonderful time. Though the wait staff was not very accommodating or friendly, they got the job done and we enjoyed our experience and the company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place But...mhnycDined on 7/8/2014It seemed rushed. Waiter asked for drink order literally 5 seconds after giving us the drink menu to look at. He just rushed to get order...place was busy but there weas no need to rush on a weekday night.Special Features:
- Just OKFOODIEVIPDined on 6/27/2014We were seated at the second dining toom - I think it is their party room - the waiter was bordering fresh - thin line between friendly service and being fresh ... and the noise level gave us a headache ... sad - the place has a lot of potential - will try again but make sure next time we don't get the rude waiter and not get seated in the party room ...
- Good food, pretty settingakka27Dined on 6/25/2014Very nice little find with a relaxing garden, good food, and great drinks!Special Features:
- I recommend itOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/9/2014Good service, good atmo, good portions, good drinks, good value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised....janettnycVIPDined on 6/1/2014Now that the nice weather has finally arrived, was looking for a place in the neighborhood with outdoor space. We had a lovely dinner here > interesting cocktails, several appealing specials and very good seafood paella. The service was attentive. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Went for brunchBant123456789Dined on 5/25/2014Drinks strong and unlimited Food was great! Will come back for the brunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 383 reviews are from the Havana - Alma de Cuba reviews archive.
- Great Cuban food!DrJN68VIPDined on 5/18/2014Sat in the outside area in the back. It was very nice and comfortable. Would eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaveyDDined on 5/12/2014Food and drinks were excellent. Great find in "The Village". Sit out back, much cozier.Special Features:
- Last minute findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Food was great. Service was excellent. Found it walking around the village in Manhattan.I would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bday dinnergodzilloDined on 5/10/2014This place is great, this would be about the 5th time Ive been here and I always say afterward, why did it take so long to come back? The food is great, I had ropa vieja and she had bistec palomilla. Their specialty cocktail menu is excellent as well. Try the Passion de Cuba. But seriously, dont skip this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gmatuseDined on 5/1/2014Good food and good service. Comfortable and nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAwesomenessDined on 4/30/2014Food and Service was top notch. Will for sure hit this place up again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch on the patioSkifanDined on 4/27/2014Great garden patio Nice menu 2 hour unlimited drinks were great! Service was a bit slow for brunch, but it was expected as it was busy. I would go back and would recommend to a friend.Special Features:
- Great Cuban "soul" food!CubanfoodieDined on 4/19/2014The food tasted almost as good as my mom used to make (and that's saying a lot), and the service is always warm, impeccable and friendly. My first visit we sat inside and were treated to live music, guitar and bongo. Second visit was delightful on the patio -- just wish we could have heard the music outside! I get to NYC at least once a year and always make it a point to try to eat here. Just love it.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysDaveDined on 4/18/2014Vaca frita was very good, as were the empanadas. The wife and i also ordered a pitcher of sangria - delicious. This is one of our favorite restaurants in the village. We highly reccomend it, but make sure to make reservations, as it gets busy quickly.Special Features:
- Very good valuemrsCVIPDined on 4/2/2014My only criticism is don't eat here too late. We ate here at 9:15pm and some of the food was dry and/or had burned edges. The roasted pig was fabulous (and a huge portion) ... the pork chop great. The rice/beans were dry as a bone and the tamal had a very burned edge. But the food was good otherwise.Special Features:
- The last time I eat here theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/28/2014The last time I eat here the service was great. This time was the opposite. The entrees took a hour to arrive. The server seemed upset all night. He never smiled. He never thanked us for eating there.Special Features:
- This place has excellent CubanOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/26/2014This place has excellent Cuban food. We tried the Ropa Vieja, Sea Bass, roasted corn and yucca fries which were all delicious. And we loved imbibing on many Blueberry Caipirinhas.Special Features:
- Great night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014Havana was a great find! The server was very attentive and energetic, there was live music (guitar and singer), lively atmosphere and delicious food. I never had cuban food before and was not disappointed. Their appetizers were a great start for our group and then we shared some main dishes. Definitely recommend for a lively dinner out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low Key, but excellentjudybVIPDined on 3/17/2014Small place in a nice Greenwich Village location. Went out with friends, looking for someplace where we could talk (on St. Patrick's Day) and this place was perfect. Good food, good service, reasonably priced. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Cuban!!!!SembsDined on 3/15/2014Great menu. Limited # of specials but delicious ones. Great atmosphere for romantic dinner in room by garden. Loved it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cuban food at it's best inYolyOVIPDined on 3/15/2014Cuban food at it's best in one of the liveliest neighborhoods in town. We've had just about everything on their menu and have never been disappointed. The service is attentive and the drinks are terrific. It's a small intimate place with a lovely outdoor terrace. A must if you're in the mood for great Latin food!Special Features:
- A mini trip to CubamfnycVIPDined on 3/14/2014We went here the other night with a coupon deal. We were more than pleasantly surprised. The food was very tasty and Sangria very good. This place is better than similar type restaurants nearby. The service was friendly and accommodating. There even was live music that added to the atmosphere. Even without the coupon, it is very reasonable. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Village CubanStephenDined on 3/11/2014Small, quiet, Cuban resto with excellent food, good drinks, good service and reasonable prices. Would not cross country to go here, but nice place in Village. Pleasant, friendly style, with lots of good food.Special Features:
- Great find in the VillageSangrialoverDined on 2/22/2014Sangria is great, lots of food options (veg, fish, meat), delicious ceviche. Very close to 1,9 subway stop. Food has a lot of flavor and not salty. Paella is my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice West Village FindVeronicaDined on 2/21/2014Enjoyed the restaurant's menu, location and ambience. Will try again when in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Food was fantasticCynthiaDined on 2/17/2014We dined tapas style and were not disappointed. The ceviche was especially stellar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had Valentine's Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Had Valentine's Day dinner with my husband and we had a wonderful experience. The prixe fix menu for the occasion was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Telemundo ApprovedhollowlegDined on 2/12/2014I stumbled upon this restaurant from reviews on OpenTable, Yelp, and TripAdvisor. It's a small restaurant so large parties are no bueno; it's perfect for small groups + date nights. The owners came around and welcomed us in person; it was very warm and charming. Everything on the menu looked delicious; we decided on empanadas and fried plantains which were perfect for a cold winter night. We got a chicken, beef, and pork dish to share; it ended up being a man vs. food challenge; very generous portions. A latin station was filming the restaurant which didn't surprise us since the restaurant was truly a gem in the west side. Next time we'll take cabs there so we can try their extensive cocktail and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryPhilDined on 2/1/2014Great accommodations, cozy and small spot, not much room though. The host and waiter were very nice. Bought out a special dessert because I let them know ahead of time it was my anniversary and they honored my requests. Love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Viva Havana - Alma de CubaDebbieDined on 1/25/2014Three of us with differing tastes selected this restaurant for dining prior to a show at the Lucille Lortel Theatre. We were not disappointed. The reception when we arrived was very welcoming, and the wait staff were all willing to please. We were given a choice of sitting in the front room with music, or dining in the more private back room which was more conducive to conversation. The only problem we had was the low level of lighting, which made it hard to read a menu or see the food. However, the selections of appetizers and entrees was varied and we were satisfied with the quality of preparation of our dishes. Try this restaurant for appealing Cuban food. Look for it carefully on Christopher Street as it is easy to miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014Their brunch was great. I really enjoyed the different drinks they include in the brunch special. The food was awesome too great portions and very tastySpecial Features:
- Not child friendly !Twist033Dined on 12/31/2013It was New Year's Eve and we took out 5 year old Daughter out for an early dinner .The restaurant was empty They sat us by a cold window So that we would be away from the others . I get the whole Child bothersome thing . But it was cold . They ignored us in the corner . We drank a few mojitos that actually were good . In Any case my husband and my daughter are Cuban so it reAlly looked bad I argued not to give such a great tip but being a Holiday he did because that's who we are . And it Was a holiday . Bill was $175 and we left $ 230 I would expect at least a free desert for my daughterSpecial Features:
- When you can't go to Cuba...jammerDined on 12/18/2013My friend and I so enjoyed our little trip to Havanna - Alma de Cuba. It was a warm escape from a cold New York night. The food was wonderful and authentic but it's the atmosphere and service that makes you feel like you're truly in Cuba.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!AmethystRoseDined on 12/13/2013The food was delicious and the service was attentive. There was live music when we dined (a Friday night). Even with the performer singing, my friend and I could hear each other when we conversed. This restaurant is a winner! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinks. TablesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/7/2013Great food and drinks. Tables are a little tight but that is normal for the village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchTeebeeDined on 12/1/2013The cafe con leche was excellente, but the food on the plate was sparse to say the least, bland, we all had to add salt to our teeny tiny omelettes. The potatoes on the side were bland as well and not much there either. We left hungry. Not worth the price.