119 Washington Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55401Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.haute-dish.com/
- Phone: 6123388484x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
HauteDish does NOT accept reservations for brunch
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 12:00am (Vegetarian Tasting Menu and limited al a carte dinner menu Sunday nights)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Landon Schoenefeld
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Haute Dish
HauteDish, a unique culinary concept that both embraces and reinvents classic Midwestern cuisine. Housed in a charming turn of century building in the Minneapolis Warehouse District, this moderately priced full service restaurant presents a casual dining atmosphere in an upscale setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Haute Dish - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Haute Dish reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)special occasion (56)neighborhood gem (47)hot spot (34)romantic (34)good for groups (30)great for brunch (24)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- What a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Had a great time at Haute Dish and the food was phenomenal. I had the salmon which was cooked to perfection and my wife had the kielbasa in a can which was so fun to watch being opened and tasted great. Will be back again.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceBBackDined on 8/27/2014Happened to be their "dim sum" event. Everything was on skewers. Food was really fun, fresh and original. Carrot corn dog - who would have thought? Delicious. We were going to go to the Minnesota State Fair, but chose here instead. It was like going to an upscale state fair.Special Features:
- Too badCincodemayoVIPDined on 8/22/2014Besides being seated in the kitchen area while the front of the restaurant was three quarters empty, the salty "Mac n cheese", the fruit flies (4) buzzing during dinner and the server saying "well, this is a 102 year old building, so we get bugs"...the chat cuts were decent. We also liked the drinks...very creative. This place was on our "must visit" list and I think it has run its course. Base on other reviews, they have become lazy with their "signature dishes" and create in their sleep. The lack of focus and attention to detail is not there. They marry flavors that make you scratch your head and think salt is the answer to everything. Not for us.
- Interesting CombosFHDinerVIPDined on 8/21/2014This restaurant takes old dishes and updates them in interesting ways. We had the General Tso's sweetbreads which were perfectly cooked with Asian seasoning with a nice hunk of foie gras on the side. The short rib haute dish was delicious. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- The bestGozacgoDined on 8/20/2014Haute dish never fails to impress. Great for a weeknight or a special occasion or for people visiting. Creative, fun, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Brun37Dined on 8/18/2014I loves this restaurant. Our server was polite, knowledgeable, and brought the courses in a well-timed manner. The food was amazing - great new takes on Midwestern classics that take you back to childhood in Minnesota! A bit spendy but when even an iceberg salad is amazing, worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowSKIPPERTOOVIPDined on 8/17/2014Creativity in kitchen is rare. Great combinations of ingredients. Server was very helpful in explaining dishes on ordering, and repeated on delivery. Any negative reviews are not genuine, or do not have an adventuresome palateSpecial Features:
- Something has happenedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2014Haute dish used to be our go to place for brunch. But our recent visit just wasnt up to par. The eggs and brisket were cold when served and the hash was non-existent. The server forgot one dish and after we ordered it again, we had to wait 15 minutes for it to be served. Maybe it was a bad day, but just not the same.
- Good brunchKatariinaDined on 8/9/2014We were a group of 10 and came to Haute Dish for brunch on Saturday, August 9th. The ambiance is little lacking for brunch; dark, little grimy looking and very much like a night spot, but for dinner or late night bite it would be perfect. The food is excellent..."ordinary" ingredients with a twist. Our waitress was so patient...we were not an easy group to manage, but she did it with a smile and not getting frustrated. She split the bill individually...never heard of in my home state of California. Big kudos to her.Special Features:
- Minnesota classics, deconstructedverbalmuggingDined on 8/8/2014Food was imaginitve and extremely well prepared and presented. The signature Tater Tot Hot Dish was one of the best dishes I've had. Perfect short rib, divine little potato croquettes (the "tots"). The Kielbasa in a Can was fun and clever, and delicious. Our host was on point, our server was versed in the menu and very pleasant. Only knock was the bar staff - a total disconnect in service from the rest of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super placeJackVIPDined on 8/6/2014Food was as beautiful as it was delicious Service was well paced and knowledgableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much for repeatBoxOfRainDined on 8/6/2014Sure, it was interesting. Some classic, hot-dish style meals, prepared with interesting ingredients and new twists. Very clever, sure, but I would not make the place my regular haunt. We had five different plates, a "pork and beans", "kielbasa in a can" , fried chicken, a salad, and a gnocchi. All were well-proportioned and nicely presented. The flavors were both fresh and vivid. But, the choices were fairly limited, and seemed verging into kitsch. The beer choices were actually the best part of the menu, as were the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LisaDined on 8/5/2014The food was excellent. We love how they take traditional Minnesota dishes and add a creative/unique twist to everything. My son loves the Tater Tot Hautedish, and I had the Kielbasa In A Can. The presentation of that dish was unexpected and very playful. They are not short on creativity! The atmosphere is casual and relaxed. I was impressed by our server's ability to describe each dish with accuracy. This restaurant is a foodie gem and the bar area is impressive as well. The only downside of our night? I think we were sitting near a speaker because the music would occasionally become very loud which made it hard to have a conversation at times. However, that won't stop us from visiting again.Special Features:
- sweetbreadsfoodie13Dined on 8/5/2014We always get the reimagined General Tso dish with fried sweetbreads: interesting and delicious, and hard to find. Great service, with staff who really seem to know what's going on in the kitchen. Music was loud at the beginning of the meal, making it hard to talk, but tapered down after 6:30 or so.
- kathieDined on 8/5/2014I was very apprehensive about trying this restaurant as I am not a fan of Hot Dishes. At my son's insistence I ordered the Tater Tot Hot dish. I believe this dish is not named correctly as it was not a Hot Dish it was a Haute Dish. It was fantastic and I would recommend it. Server was amazing...very knowledgeable about food and wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try everything, it's all wonderful!Harriette0804Dined on 8/4/2014My husband and I just moved here from the Chicago suburbs. We decided to go to Haute Dish for my birthday with my parents. We ordered two tasting menus so that we could try a little bit of everything, at the recommendation of very friendly and knowledgeable staff. The food was wonderful. This was my first time ever trying sweetbreads, and I'm craving them right now. I can't even pick a favorite food we had that night. The Tater tot casserole is great for less adventurous eaters while still packing a ton of flavor foodies won't want to miss out on. We left stuffed to the gills and incredibly pleased with our experience. Thanks for making my birthday such a treat. My husband and I will be bringing all our guests in the future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Tasty food, fun atmosphere, good service, but we thought it was a bit over-priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food that takes way too longRustyDined on 8/2/2014While the food was really good, it took waaaaaay to long. It was over an hour and a half before our meals arrived. Yes, they were busy, but they were not short-staffed -- just obviously had more tables than the kitchen could handle. Yes they gave us bread, but only two tiny plates. The food was a good price but the wine & drinks were hideously overpriced. Perhaps the long wait time was the way of making a lot of money off the bar tab! The waitress was so embarrassed by the wait that she just stopped coming to our table. The portion sizes were perfect, though -- an artfully presented single-serving on a way too big plate. Glad we tried it, but would not recommend.Special Features:
- Only had a saladnumber5Dined on 8/2/2014We arrived for our reservation at 6pm before attending a concert at 8pm that night. We placed our order by 6:20. Salads were brought out a little while later for a couple of us (not everyone ordered one) as well as drinks. At 7:30 we didn't have any other food, so I asked our server for an update. He thanked us for our patience but didn't provide any information about what was happening with out food. At 7:45 we told him we need to leave because otherwise be late for our concert. He then said our food was "just moments away" but offered to get our check. Ultimately we weren't charged for anything. None of us saw much food brought out during the nearly 2 hours that we were there. We also noticed a server who looked like she'd been crying.
- 1st datejlc13Dined on 8/2/2014Great place to bring a first date. Great food easily shared. Beer selection is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rocky startOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Unfortunately our dining experience did not start off on a good note. We arrived at exactly 7:45 for our 7:45 reservation and was greeted by an extremely rude gentleman who state, "I just called you, I almost gave your table away." He stated our reservation was at 7:30. I was able to show the gentlemen my 7:45 reservation confirmation email on my phone. He didn't offer an apology and stated"oh, well we had 7:30" and walked away. I felt this response was completely inappropriate as this was not my mistake plus there were two tables open right next to us the entire evening, so I'm not sure why the threat of giving our table away was made. The food and server after that was good.Special Features:
- unexpectedjcholmbergDined on 7/26/2014great tasting and imaginative food with a fun atmosphere in an historic bar....what more could you want for a memorable 30th birthday celebration?Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsMadisonfoodlvrDined on 7/26/2014The ropa vieja was amazing but the pannekoeken was overpriced and disappointing. It was basically just one pancake drowning in toppings for $14. The texture of it was not quite right for pannekoeken. Also I should point out that it was pannekoek (only one) but the menu listed it as pannekoeken (plural). Ropa vieja was delicious and a large portion. We also both ordered mixed drinks (the pacifier and a Bloody Mary); both were good but maybe a little overpriced. Service and atmosphere were fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014We go here a lot, the food is always awesome and the service is good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014The service was amazing - our server was very knowledgeable regarding the food and extremely attentive and timely. The food was rich with flavor, without being heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nananaDined on 7/25/2014XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!TiffDined on 7/24/2014Pork and beans was absolutely delicious and the burger was also outstanding. My only negative critique would be the service is a bit slow.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant week menusvenskatjejVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very much enjoyed our 3-course meal for $30. Nice combination of flavors and dishes.Special Features:
- Rare Disappointmentldy89Dined on 7/23/2014I've been to Haute Dish in the past and was disappointed with my most recent visit during restaurant week. The food was good, but not great. I was also disappointed that my first course was missing the garnish. It was very noticeable as someone else at my table had ordered the same thing. I found service to be a little slow. We ended up being there for over 2 hours. Overall ok. But I know Haute Dish is capable of much better.Special Features:
- Comfort food with a twistHungryhungryhippoDined on 7/23/2014A different spin on childhood classics. The tatertot hotdish was delicious! Great little place, interesting flavors, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/22/2014One of the best restaurant week experiences. The food was phenomenal. Nuff' Said!!!Special Features:
- resto week menukitchenquweenDined on 7/20/2014visited again on sunday to try the restaurant week menu- lots of old favorites and an incredible value! added an extra course- who doesn't want MORE pork belly?! tartare, pork n' beans, picnic, pasta with tallegio and crab, short rib, chicken and biscuit- every dish was spot on. the kitchen struggled with timing off and on (notably later in the evening) but our server stayed on top of keeping us advised of the delays and ensured we had a great experience. no table touches from the manager to back the servers up was a bit odd, but we had a terrific meal. the evening reminded us that we need to get back more often...we almost missed the current cocktail list!Special Features:
- Fairly good but overpricedtera524Dined on 7/20/2014For starters we had the salad (well plated but unexciting) and the charcuterie (dry, bland pastrami, overseasoned liver, very good pate). Seconds were mac and cheese (with tiny scraps of crab) and pork n beans (inedibly sweet). Mains were haute dish (good but small portion) and the burger (they said it was medium rare, I got tartare on a bun - good, though.) Service was good and personable, though drink refills took a while. The space was nice, but for about half the meal the music was so loud that we couldn't hear each other talk. There are a lot of restaurants downtown with more consistent food and more reasonable prices.
- Coldpresspug23Dined on 7/20/2014I went here with my boyfriend for our date night, we both didn't know what to expect. It was wonderful, I had the cold press drink, bf had the mule, both were delish. We started with the steak and eggs, and the char cuts. The tartar was light in combo with the egg and this amazing cornbread. The Foie gras in the char cuts was the best I have ever had. next was the pork and beans and the mac and cheese, both good, nothing overly shocking about them. Third we had the tater tot hautedish and the country burger! Holy cow! I personally dont eat ground beef, but my bf made me take a bite and I would order it, it was a damn good burger. My tater tot dish though beats his burger hands down. Idk how they make that tot but it was good!Special Features:
- Beyond Our ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2014This was the best choice we could have made for Restaurant Week. Both of us were blown away by how exquisite the food was. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Excellent Food, Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014It took us over 90 minutes to order and receive our food, which in turn made us late for the concert. The wait staff was extremely rude, asking one member of our 5 person group if he "needed help" with the wedge salad. ?! I will not be going back to this place, which is too bad. The food is kitchy, fun and yummy - but it's still not worthwhile. The place was not even that busy the night we were there. Unacceptable.
- MN4coldDined on 7/14/2014We had a great meal - but not fantastic. Some dishes were rather cool by the time they reached the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and okay serviceWonderfulVIPDined on 7/12/2014Haute Dish is always so much fun when it comes to food exploration and discovery... service? Okay... why we waited so long for dinner is beyond any of us... why no one cared to check on how things were? Its disappointing when you go for an experience with food and the wait person hinders it with their ambivalence... the Chicken is outstanding! :)Special Features:
- LisaKG33Dined on 7/12/2014The space, atmosphere, wait staff and food were fabulous. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Midwestern CuisinepirateNarwhalDined on 7/11/2014Went there with 3 friends, we got their mac and cheese, cool ranch gnocchi, tater tot hautedish, and kielbasa in a can. None were less than steller. Definitely a little on the spendy side, and the "Plates" (gnocchi / mac & cheese) were small portions. Waiter was friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.