Hau Tree Lanai
2863 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Hau Tree Lanai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kaimana.com/dining.htm
- Phone: 8089217066x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45pm - 2:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Rene Caba
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our Private Dining Room overlooks the Pacific Ocean, has spectacular sunset views and accommodates parties of 20 to 80 guests. For more information visit our website at kaimana.com
- Private Party Facilities: We offer the San Souci Room, which features perfect ocean Views. It can accommodate up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Ted Teruya 8089217067x
- Entertainment: We feature a live guitarist on weekends.
A word from Hau Tree Lanai
This shimmering jewel of a restaurant was awarded Honolulu Magazine's and Hale Aina "Top Write In" (people's choice) award for for Best Brunch in 2013, OpenTable Best View in 2013, Hale Aina Gold Medal for Best Outdoor Dining in 2010, and Hale Aina award Silver Medal for Best Restaurant to Take Out of Town Guests in 2009. Set on the quiet side of Waikiki beach, it offers stunning unobstructed Ocean views and breathtaking romantic sunsets. We offer casual, elegant dining in a purely peaceful and idyllic setting. We offer fresh seafood of Mahi Mahi, Opakapaka, and Ahi Tuna prepared in 5 different styles as well as Harris Ranch all natural beef for guests desiring Filet Mignon, New York, Rib Eye Steak, or Colorado Lamb Chops. The wine list is friendly, reasonably priced and personal help in pairing the food and wine is available. We look forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Hau Tree Lanai - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Hau Tree Lanai reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (161)great for outdoor dining (147)romantic (126)special occasion (112)great for brunch (98)great for lunch (60)fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (43)kid-friendly (28)good for groups (22)notable wine list (15)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Old time favoriteWaiting4EwaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Hau Tree Lanai has been a local favorite for generations and definitely one of my favorite places to have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests are always pleasantly surprised. Old style hotel, open air, historic and very charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1lessonlearnedDined on 9/11/2014Even though I had made a reservation in advance and there were many open tables when I arrived a few minutes early the host would not allow me to have one of the front (ocean view) tables. Because my companion was not present when we were seated. So be sure to have your "party complete" if you want to get a good table, even with a reservation. Service was slow and we had to ask for tea to be refilled, get the check, etc. portions are generous. Gazpacho is great, but pricey at $9 for a cup.Special Features:
- Disappointly Average...HugoDined on 9/10/2014Beautiful and unique location, under the Hau tree, and beside the beach, just stunning. However the restaurant is not outstanding. Our meals were fair / good but not outstanding nor memorable - in fact The Cheesecake Factory dishes were more memorable at half the price. The Hau Tree Lanai service was friendly, but at the restaurants prices they charge, i don't expect to look at a creased table cloth and uncleared bread and butter plates for the entire evening. For a special evening dinner , I would look elsewhere. The Lau Tree Lanai has the potential to be so much better.
- CurryDined on 9/10/2014評判通りの良いレストランでした。私はベルギーワッフルを注文しました。美味しく頂けました。妻が注文したパンケーキは、ふかふかのパンケーキ3枚の上に生クリームがたっぷり乗っていたのですが、あっさりしていたようで、アッサリ完食していました。Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere!jk4420Dined on 9/6/2014This is a wonderful restaurant to take out-of-town folks to. It's right on the beach, beautiful scenary and great staff too. While the food is good, the ambiance wonderful, there doesn't leave a lot of options for people who are vegetarian and no options for vegans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the view - birds are terribleHIfoodwineDined on 9/4/2014Enjoyed our time there until it was obvious that pigeons were attacking every table that had food sitting for more than a minute. The wait help had a long stick with some towels at the end of it, that they waived to scare them off. Several parties were startled to see the aggressive birds. Management needs to step in and do something about this.Special Features:
- 4koolinaDined on 9/3/2014Always enjoy taking visitors to Hau Tree for Island theme setting. All around, so far everyone has making very good comments and they like everything about Hau Tree. Food is very good too besides excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Great for all times of day but sunset is the very bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 雰囲気良かったですpiraDined on 9/1/2014事前にビーチ側を希望とメッセージを入れておいたおかげで、木の下のビーチ側の席を用意してくださいました。嬉しかったです。エッグベネディクトも噂通りとても美味しかったです。パンケーキは、ホットケーキのように分厚くて少し残念でした。食べきれなかったのでお持ち帰りさせていただきました。 また、行きたいお店です。Special Features:
- Perfect for breakfastonmyojiDined on 9/1/2014Beachside, tree-shaded and best breakfast is very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top experienceAlexandraDined on 8/31/2014As an Italian tourist vacationing Honolulu from 1987 I rate the restaurant as the best in the Island. Exquisite food, perfect service and terrific ocean view are the reasons why this is my first choice in Oahu. All the staff is very gentle an professional. The presentation of the plates is very elegant and accurate. Breakfast is n. 1 too and in my opinion is the best way to start a sunny day in Honolulu. What for me is remarkable is that every year I can find again the same staff and they remember my name and my preferite food. Can't wait my next dinner/breakfast !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast is great!roughwaterswimmerDined on 8/31/2014Pancakes! yum! Poi pancakes with coconut and maple syrup. Very nice. The potato makes the pancakes stay hot. Yet, they were light and fluffy too. Perfect! Just like the ones at home. and the benedicts too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Famous but the quality is...SurfingjapanDined on 8/30/2014The noise of moving tables and chairs is laud and some of lady staffs are arrogant.Special Features:
- It was niceHahaokDined on 8/29/2014I felt the service was slow, but my partner didn't. Also, there's no kids menu or at least it wasn't presented to us. The main entrees were over priced too. I guess you pay for the view. The sunset was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Specialpjk1Dined on 8/28/2014This is a pretty lanai setting over looking Waikiki Beach. The food presentation was beautiful, and the taste was better. It will be one of our most memorable meals we've had in Honolulu. There are other very nice restaurants overlooking the water in Waikiki, such as Orchids, but Hau Tree is smaller, feels more intimate, and the service is very attentive. It is not like a bar/or steakhouse setting; more traditional/plantation looking, with a tree as the focal point on the patio. It was very special.Special Features:
- WinnerWinnerDined on 8/27/2014Wonderful food, Amazing service, location, location, location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of the best breakfastsTamaoDined on 8/27/2014We visited you in the morning on 27AUG. Thanks to you, we could spend the special time. Eggbenedict was very delicious and side dishes were also great. The most moving thing was a sence of belongings about yours(Scenery, foods, staffs, etc..). In future, we would like to visit you whenever we visit Hawaii. Thank you for your everything and see you again absolutely.Special Features:
- Good Food, Good Memories...SparkofhawaiiDined on 8/22/2014Has always been one of my favorite places to eat for fine dining and great atmosphere. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- The sunset view was gorgeousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2014We met some out-of-town guests there for dinner. The appetizers were very good. My entree, mixed grill, was good. No one complained about their entree, but no one raved about it, either. We passed on dessert. Our waiter was an old-timer and great, but the entire wait staff team was attentive and friendly. The high point was the sunset. I'm glad it didn't rain, as the weather was spotty, and it would have spoiled a magnificent sunset. Our guests had a great time.Special Features:
- Not recommended except for view.tobiDined on 8/21/2014Highly mediocre very expensive food---some of it not edible. Amazing view is what it has going for it---but the (free) beach in front has the same view without the bad food and steep price.Special Features:
- taste good but...nevereverDined on 8/19/2014Mistake with the egg cooking style , many staff without smile, seems dislike to be friendly, who do not like to take care of customer. Poor service, no tip!Special Features:
- yukannaDined on 8/18/2014Hawaii trip for the first time with my daughter, if you are looking for a delicious breakfast in the special, I met in Hau Tree Lanai. Can be before departure reservation of seats, trip was able to enable the time. Well, the service was delicious very. Services that are not completely eat pancakes, and gave me the souvenir is, I was very happy. Also, when I went to Hawaii, I want to go to Hau Tree Lanai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineoutjunkiesDined on 8/17/2014Especially nice at sunset. Lights in the Hau tree overlooking the ocean. Small enough to feel intimate. Lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean viewOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/15/2014Lovely ocean and sunset view under a spreading hau tree-very Hawaiian -fresh fish super-limited wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/10/2014The food was good, my sister's sandwich was very heavy on the bread. My brother said his Ceasar salad was just OK, he didn't see any anchovies. My mahimahi sandwich had a very fishy taste which I found off putting. When they poured my water the server did it so fast that the ice went out of the glass. He said sorry, but did not clean it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- さすがのエッグベネディクトontanchanDined on 8/9/2014日本から予約したものの20年来のハリケーンのためレストランが休業に、翌日リベンジで再予約して訪問しました。 エッグベネディクトはさすがの美味しさですね。一番デラックスなタイプをオーダーしましたが、ナイフを入れた途端にとろーりと出てくる黄身とマフィン、ビーフorフォアグラの組み合わせは来て良かった〜と思わせる味でした。 他にフレンチトーストをオーダーしましたが、こちらは全面にマカデミア？ナッツが付いていて、好き嫌いが分かれるかと思います。 コーヒーは飲み放題です。Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Calm retreat before the hurricaneMermaidDined on 8/7/2014Wonderful lunch salmon Benedict and shrimp salad, beautifully presented and delicious. We are always amazed by the views of Kaimana beach and people enjoying the ocean while under the shade of the hau tree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem in HonolulujlbfllDined on 8/4/2014This picturesque restaurant is nestled next to the beach in a quaint boutique hotel a short distance from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki Beach. What a find for us! We sat outside under the large canopy of the Hau Tree. The food was fresh, delicious and served with impeccability. Those of us that ordered the seafood dishes were thrilled. The wine list was extensive with a variety of prices for all tastes. We will recommend this restaurant to our friends that visit the island.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodLocalDinerDined on 8/4/2014The coffee was so bad it was undrinkable. The eggs benedict were poor - one egg was over poached and the sauce was tasteless. So disappointing. We won't be going back. The setting is beautiful, but the food just didn't measure up.Special Features:
- MickyDined on 8/3/2014Location is very good!!! Foods are very good!!! Thank you♡Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceorangeDined on 8/2/2014It paid having mistaken the order of beer by two. The glass was all dirty.Service was disappointed bad.
- Beautiful ocean viewYummyDined on 8/2/2014I've been to the hau tree lanai before and keep coming back for the eggs Benedict and great service.Special Features:
- とってもおいしかった！minori1121Dined on 8/2/2014朝に予約していきました！ 海がみえる席でとても良かったです。 ロケーション最高でした。 エッグベネディクトとフレンチトーストを注文。どちらもとても美味しかったです。 またハワイに行ったらまた行きたいです。Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On the beach family dinnerLJKJ3Dined on 8/1/2014We had a wonderful family dinner at the Hau Tree Lanai. We are a family of six and we requested a table near the beach. We waited at the bar and a talented guitar player/singer kept us entertained. The outdoor dining ambiance was lovely. I enjoyed my seafood plate and my son raved about the duck appetizer.The service was excellent and we would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely and scenicWinerDinerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Our party enjoyed a splendid dinner at Hau Tree Lanai. The staff go out of their way to make sure that your experience here is wonderful. Beautiful atmosphere, delicious food - the mahi mahi encrusted in crab and avocado is a definite must try as are the Hawaiian pork chops. A hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experience send-offFunNightOutVIPDined on 7/31/2014We were celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary. Hau Tree Lanai was everything we could have hoped for. We sat under the large tree showcased on their web site and while it did require a little maneuvering to get into our chairs, it almost felt like we were dining in a tree house and provided amazing framing for our photos. Our waiter, Alan, was very personable and genuinely caring—he took several pictures of us throughout our meal with the beach and sunset as back drops. He also provided quality guidance on the selections of our Caprese salad plus two delicious entrees of Island Garlic Ahi and Mahimahi crusted with crab and avocado. It is a night of memories that will stay with us until we are able to return to the islands..........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great last second find!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/29/2014Last second dinner reservation on a Tuesday evening and absolutely loved it! Great views of sunset and very intimate setting; if it were afternoon the large tree in the center provides excellent shade!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 40th BIRTHDAYOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Thank you very much for a perfekt evening! Together with my family I celebrated my BIRTHDAY enjoyed ourselves very much! Very nice Service - Great Food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good atomosphere at the beachNoriPDined on 7/25/2014The restaurant is located at the beachside, but it is cool there because of the trees. The portion is big for Japanese. We orderd three dishes, which were too much for us, however, we ate up all, as the food was very good!Special Features:
- UnforgettableIslanderDined on 7/24/2014First time there. Was there with wife on a staycation getaway. Beautiful location, on the beach, under the Hau Tree. Looks right to the beach. Great for sunset dinner. Food was excellent. Little bit on the pricey side but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.