Hau Tree Lanai
2863 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96815Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Hau Tree Lanai
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.kaimana.com/dining.htm
- Phone: 8089217066x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Sunday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:45pm - 2:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Hawaii Regional Cuisine, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Rene Caba
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our Private Dining Room overlooks the Pacific Ocean, has spectacular sunset views and accommodates parties of 20 to 80 guests. For more information visit our website at kaimana.com
- Private Party Facilities: We offer the San Souci Room, which features perfect ocean Views. It can accommodate up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Ted Teruya 8089217067x
- Entertainment: We feature a live guitarist on weekends.
A word from Hau Tree Lanai
This shimmering jewel of a restaurant was awarded Honolulu Magazine's and Hale Aina "Top Write In" (people's choice) award for for Best Brunch in 2013, OpenTable Best View in 2013, Hale Aina Gold Medal for Best Outdoor Dining in 2010, and Hale Aina award Silver Medal for Best Restaurant to Take Out of Town Guests in 2009. Set on the quiet side of Waikiki beach, it offers stunning unobstructed Ocean views and breathtaking romantic sunsets. We offer casual, elegant dining in a purely peaceful and idyllic setting. We offer fresh seafood of Mahi Mahi, Opakapaka, and Ahi Tuna prepared in 5 different styles as well as Harris Ranch all natural beef for guests desiring Filet Mignon, New York, Rib Eye Steak, or Colorado Lamb Chops. The wine list is friendly, reasonably priced and personal help in pairing the food and wine is available. We look forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerHawaii Regional Cuisine
Hau Tree Lanai - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Hau Tree Lanai reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (159)great for outdoor dining (137)romantic (121)special occasion (109)great for brunch (94)fit for foodies (57)great for lunch (55)neighborhood gem (45)kid-friendly (23)good for groups (22)notable wine list (18)hot spot (12)late-night find (8)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- awesomebmacdonaldDined on 10/14/2014Mike and staff were great, all staff chipped in. Best filet ever...hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- egg benedictripocDined on 10/13/2014egg Benedict was very delicious. I want to eat it again.Special Features:
- 子供連れにも優しいsachikoDined on 10/11/2014ハウツリーラナイの素敵なテラス席を楽しみに日本から予約を入れて行きました。希望通りの眺めの素敵な席に案内されましたが、席の周りを何羽かの鳩がおこぼれを貰おうと歩き廻っていました。我が家の子供達はあいにく鳥が苦手で怖がり泣き出してしまいました。他のお客様にも迷惑かと思い、注文前にキャンセルを申し出た所、せっかくいらしたからとBARエリアの席へと移して頂けました。その後も何度か子供達の様子を心配してもらい、ゆったりと食事をする事が出来ました。味はもちろんの事サービスも素晴らしかったです。Special Features:
- Egg Benedictyuzuponzu0527Dined on 10/5/2014Hau Tree Lanai is the one of the best Restaurants to have a Egg benedict. We enjoy the atomosphere of this restaurant as well! we would love to come back again in my next trip to Hawaii!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite local Waikiki dining spotvinnieDined on 10/4/2014This is THE place to go for the best cosmopolitan (and Japanese) food in town. Best on-the-beach dining and the view hasn't changed in 50 years! Breakfast is special, and lunch is also good. But the most romantic and tropical ambiance is sunset dinner! Don't miss it. The fresh local fish is a must have and prepared your choice of 4 ways . A tad on the expensive side but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful outdoor diningLachyJnesDined on 10/4/2014We visited the Hau Tree Lanai on our honeymoon following a recommendation from a local. The setting right on the beach was beautiful, we'd hoped to watch the sunset but clouds prevented this happening- it didn't spoil our experience. We were given bread & an amuse bouche before dinner which was a lovely touch. The menu offered a great range of local fish cooked in a variety of ways plus meat options. The filet mignon was melt in the mouth! We are only sad that we can't afford to eat there every night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for brunchk130525yDined on 10/4/2014I went there to eat egg benedict which is well known in Japan. It was great due to the place close to the beach and diamond head. And also the food was as so delicious as I have neer eaten before. I'd like to go when I visit Hawaii again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a fan for many yearskonaDined on 10/3/2014Just rediscovered this gem for my daughter's 21st. The fare is excellent. the staff very pleasant. I wish they would trim back the Banyan overhang to the beach just a little.Special Features:
- Hau TreefoodiefestDined on 10/2/2014Lovely at sunset and then -- once dark it is the same as being indoors with respect to the view. That said -- you can still hear the ocean waves crashing and the air is ocean balmy. Wonderful service and very good menu recommendations from our server, William.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and settingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014Came here with another couple to celebrate our anniversaries...the most beautiful setting under the old hau tree, on the beach and the gorgeous sunset. Our server was so attentive...delicious food and most memorable evening. The owner came over to us and made us feel so welcomed. It was the restaurants 50th aniiversary. This was an occasion we'll never forget. Make the Hau Tree a place for your next special meal in Honolulu.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantMickeyDDined on 9/28/2014Our favorite restaurant for special occasions and entertaining out-of town guests. Great view, menu, and ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Semper Superb!CDevineDined on 9/27/2014This spot is a favorite of both my wife and I, and we usually visit once every 4-5 months on a random date-night. Hau Tree is simply one of the finest dining experiences in Oahu and the food never disappoints, especially the fresh, local fish entrees. However, this past visit I broke my norm and decided on the lamb chops....OMG, the best I have ever had bar none. Great Service and one of the best sunset views on island.Special Features:
- Best restaurant!!!mikiDined on 9/27/2014It was the first visit this time. It arrived in Honolulu from Japan and visited here with my boyfriend immediately. That Waiters met to FRIENDLY first has moved. Moreover, the taste of important egg Benedict is also the highest! It was worrisome that only one point and a lovely pigeon ride on a table. Moreover, I think that I will visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! I love itSpecial Features:
- great eggs benedictEriquitaDined on 9/26/2014I ordered eggs benedict and acai bowl. Eggs benedict was really good! Acai bowl was not so sweet. If you go there, you should request beach side table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining under the treesOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/25/2014We had an enjoyable evening but due to the Japanese wedding party we were a little overlooked. When I booked I told them we were celebrating our 40th anniversary but they never acknowledged it. Pricey and ok food.Special Features:
- AmazingAlohaJudeDined on 9/22/2014Fantastic venue, impeccable friendly service. Food was delicious Could not fault it at all. The best breakfast on the Island. Looking now to book a dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MASAHIRODined on 9/20/2014家族４人で、遅めの朝食に行きました。エッグベネディクトとオレンジジュースを注文しました。 スタッフのサービスも良く、店内の気軽な雰囲気、値段、味も満足しました。 また、行きたいと思います。Special Features:
- 朝食で利用しました。PORORODined on 9/20/2014雰囲気も良く、満足しました。ハーフベネディクトを注文しましたが、量も丁度よく、美味しくいただきました。また利用したいです。Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 眺望の悪いテーブルyasu1962Dined on 9/18/20141999年訪問以来15年振りでしたが、早めに予約したのに、壁側の眺望の悪いテーブルでガッカリ。エッグベネディクトも他店の方が美味しく、重ねて落胆。Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014We don't like pigeon walking around the table. Eggs Benedict was so good. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing settingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/16/2014Very romantic setting under an old Hau tree. Gorgeous evening and great food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We were unable to sit by the sea. We learned we had to request sitting table at the time of reservation.Special Features:
- Just Beautiful!LoveOahuDined on 9/14/2014I visited to Hau Tree Lanai whenever I visited in Oahu. The sunset you see from their tables is breath-taking... really peaceful and beautiful. I would like to recommend a future-customer to check the sunset time and then reserve your table asking this restaurant that "Please reserve a table under the holly tree". I love their crab-cake!Special Features:
- Old time favoriteWaiting4EwaVIPDined on 9/13/2014Hau Tree Lanai has been a local favorite for generations and definitely one of my favorite places to have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests are always pleasantly surprised. Old style hotel, open air, historic and very charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1lessonlearnedDined on 9/11/2014Even though I had made a reservation in advance and there were many open tables when I arrived a few minutes early the host would not allow me to have one of the front (ocean view) tables. Because my companion was not present when we were seated. So be sure to have your "party complete" if you want to get a good table, even with a reservation. Service was slow and we had to ask for tea to be refilled, get the check, etc. portions are generous. Gazpacho is great, but pricey at $9 for a cup.Special Features:
- Disappointly Average...HugoDined on 9/10/2014Beautiful and unique location, under the Hau tree, and beside the beach, just stunning. However the restaurant is not outstanding. Our meals were fair / good but not outstanding nor memorable - in fact The Cheesecake Factory dishes were more memorable at half the price. The Hau Tree Lanai service was friendly, but at the restaurants prices they charge, i don't expect to look at a creased table cloth and uncleared bread and butter plates for the entire evening. For a special evening dinner , I would look elsewhere. The Lau Tree Lanai has the potential to be so much better.
- CurryDined on 9/10/2014評判通りの良いレストランでした。私はベルギーワッフルを注文しました。美味しく頂けました。妻が注文したパンケーキは、ふかふかのパンケーキ3枚の上に生クリームがたっぷり乗っていたのですが、あっさりしていたようで、アッサリ完食していました。Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere!jk4420Dined on 9/6/2014This is a wonderful restaurant to take out-of-town folks to. It's right on the beach, beautiful scenary and great staff too. While the food is good, the ambiance wonderful, there doesn't leave a lot of options for people who are vegetarian and no options for vegans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the view - birds are terribleHIfoodwineDined on 9/4/2014Enjoyed our time there until it was obvious that pigeons were attacking every table that had food sitting for more than a minute. The wait help had a long stick with some towels at the end of it, that they waived to scare them off. Several parties were startled to see the aggressive birds. Management needs to step in and do something about this.Special Features:
- 4koolinaDined on 9/3/2014Always enjoy taking visitors to Hau Tree for Island theme setting. All around, so far everyone has making very good comments and they like everything about Hau Tree. Food is very good too besides excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/1/2014Great for all times of day but sunset is the very bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 雰囲気良かったですpiraDined on 9/1/2014事前にビーチ側を希望とメッセージを入れておいたおかげで、木の下のビーチ側の席を用意してくださいました。嬉しかったです。エッグベネディクトも噂通りとても美味しかったです。パンケーキは、ホットケーキのように分厚くて少し残念でした。食べきれなかったのでお持ち帰りさせていただきました。 また、行きたいお店です。Special Features:
- Perfect for breakfastonmyojiDined on 9/1/2014Beachside, tree-shaded and best breakfast is very happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top experienceAlexandraDined on 8/31/2014As an Italian tourist vacationing Honolulu from 1987 I rate the restaurant as the best in the Island. Exquisite food, perfect service and terrific ocean view are the reasons why this is my first choice in Oahu. All the staff is very gentle an professional. The presentation of the plates is very elegant and accurate. Breakfast is n. 1 too and in my opinion is the best way to start a sunny day in Honolulu. What for me is remarkable is that every year I can find again the same staff and they remember my name and my preferite food. Can't wait my next dinner/breakfast !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast is great!roughwaterswimmerDined on 8/31/2014Pancakes! yum! Poi pancakes with coconut and maple syrup. Very nice. The potato makes the pancakes stay hot. Yet, they were light and fluffy too. Perfect! Just like the ones at home. and the benedicts too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Famous but the quality is...SurfingjapanDined on 8/30/2014The noise of moving tables and chairs is laud and some of lady staffs are arrogant.Special Features:
- It was niceHahaokDined on 8/29/2014I felt the service was slow, but my partner didn't. Also, there's no kids menu or at least it wasn't presented to us. The main entrees were over priced too. I guess you pay for the view. The sunset was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Specialpjk1Dined on 8/28/2014This is a pretty lanai setting over looking Waikiki Beach. The food presentation was beautiful, and the taste was better. It will be one of our most memorable meals we've had in Honolulu. There are other very nice restaurants overlooking the water in Waikiki, such as Orchids, but Hau Tree is smaller, feels more intimate, and the service is very attentive. It is not like a bar/or steakhouse setting; more traditional/plantation looking, with a tree as the focal point on the patio. It was very special.Special Features:
- WinnerWinnerDined on 8/27/2014Wonderful food, Amazing service, location, location, location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.