6703 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hatfieldsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3239352977
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm Friday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Quinn Hatfield
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hatfields
Quinn Hatfield's deft touch in the kitchen shines through on his short but dead-on, market-fresh menu. Appetizers are playful: Fabulously fleshy charred octopus is offset by a citrus-candied orange rind, and an updated croque madame features fresh hamachi, along with proscuitto, quail egg and out-of-this-world brioche. Main courses are uniformly excellent, be it juicy pan-roasted seabass, meaty duck breast that eats like a steak, and luscious, mint-crusted rack of lamb. For desserts, Karen Hatfield outdoes herself with the molten-centered house specialty chocolate peanut butter truffle cake, which is worth every decadent calorie its name promises.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hatfields - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Hatfields reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)special occasion (92)romantic (61)notable wine list (38)good for groups (33)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (16)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Food Great EveningpantageticketholderDined on 10/10/2014The food was innovative, delicious, and rich. We would definitely go back - Hatfields was one of the best dining experiences we have had in Los Angeles.Special Features:
- Outstanding cuisinepepperDined on 10/9/2014The chef is a genius with blending the taste of foods. Our server was wonderful at recommending a wine choice and advising us about the food we chose. The ambiance was a bit austere and not as welcoming as I prefer.Special Features:
- Tasteless coffeesusanVIPDined on 10/3/2014Everything was great except the coffee. Totally tasteless. .Special Features:
- Poorly executed dishesMcGeeinSDDined on 9/27/2014We were in LA for 1 night and researched several places to have dinner and chose Hatfields. The restaurant has a nice ambiance but is a bit loud so I was glad we requested a quiet table and were given a spot on the patio. We each got the prix fix. The bottle of wine we wanted they were out of, the sommelier suggested something else unique and it was very good. The service was well executed. Unfortunately all the dishes were woefully under seasoned. We got through the first course without requesting salt but finally had to ask. The salmon had a strange texture - everything was mushy and the roe overpowered the dish. My husband actually couldn't finish it. Dessert was great. For these prices, the food should taste good.
- A well deserved Michelin StarLASteveDined on 9/27/2014If you want to discover what it takes to get a Michelin star Hatfield's is a great place to start. The food and service is consistent with any one star restaurant in Europe. This was my wife and self's second visit and it did not disappoint. We both cook so when we eat out it has to be different and excellent. The only negative was the background music was a little too high for our liking but that can be excused after tasting the food, which is the only reason you would want to be there. We recommend that on a first visit go with the "Prix Fixe" so you get to taste at least four items off the Menu in addition to the "amuse de bouche"Special Features:
- when you need quiet pamperingWestsidefoodie12VIPDined on 9/26/2014Aftger a horrendous day for both of us, my wife said "I need a great dinner, quiet enough to talk, white tabelcloths, and pampering" She ten said Hatfields. We have been there many times. We got a 7:30 reservation and was please to see the restaurant mostly full. We had an intelligent waiter, and I usually order the lamb dish with all kinds of lovely accompanments. My wife ordered loup de mer and a pasta appetizer. You see Chefs bustling in the kitchen to make sure your dishes are perfect. We call it civilized diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in LABrockVIPDined on 9/24/2014Hayfields continues to be unparalleled in the perfect LA dining experience! Everything was wonderful! It is as simple as that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great.foodiepieVIPDined on 9/23/2014Haven't been there in a while. The experience was wonderful. Sat near the kitchen so as to watch the professionalism there on display. LA Magazine gives them 4 stars. I would give them 3 stars. The food was very good but not exceptional. Service was flawless!Special Features:
- Hatfields never disappointsBarbaraBVIPDined on 9/20/2014Imaginative menu. Excellent implementation. Waitstaff that actually seem to like their jobs. Great selection of wine by the glass (or bottle) . If you prefer quiet ask for a table on the enclosed patio. The vegetarian prix fixe menu is superb and I am not even a vegetarian! Worth the sticker shock.Special Features:
- Passionate chefsRrhunterDined on 9/14/2014Had the 4 course tasting menu, each dish was great. Special recommendation: 36h cooked meat - super tender and great flavors. Also the sea divers scallops were a real treat! Dessert selection and quality is also a real plus.Special Features:
- Superb Food and ServiceBobS42Dined on 9/13/2014Hatfield's lived up to its Michelin Star. The food and service we superb. The braised octopus appetizer and grilled pork belly entrée were top notch as were the mosaic baby beet salad and the pan roasted striped bass that my wife had. The wine list had an extensive selection of wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over and OverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014I've been enjoying Hatfield's since the were located by The Grove, and it continues to deliver every time. The menu is approachable and changes regularly. Great for a wonderful family outing or if you need to impress some clients.Special Features:
- HATFIELD'S HOMERUN!NacnudVIPDined on 9/6/2014Karen and Quinn Hatfield know how to run a restaurant. From the front to the back, there is no detail unattended. We were there for our Anniversary - we've celebrated several there - and this was one of the best experiences ever. If you've been thinking about trying Hatfield's, wait no longer.Special Features:
- Friday nightNoellDined on 9/5/2014We dined at Hatfield's early on a Friday evening (6:30) The restaurant was pretty empty at that time but full when we left. The food was very nice with some interesting combinations. Especially enjoyed the Croque Madame and the Lamb with dates and mint. Had a new to us wine which was delightful. Staff attentive, helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Definitely try the "Croque Madam"SoCalGeofVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had a fantastic evening celebrating an anniversary here. We ordered the 4 course seasonal prix fixe menu (incl. dessert), but asked to add something from the a la carte menu onto the beginning: the "Croque Madam," which we shared. Although the rest of the meal was excellent as well, that was the best thing we had all night. I highly recommend trying it! Another fun fact is that there is a credit card commercial airing featuring chef Curtis Stone at an "Italian" restaurant. But if you look closely, he's actually inside Hatfield's.Special Features:
- Never DissapointsPASSION4FOODVIPDined on 9/4/2014Had the prix fixe menu! It was delicious. Service was great as usual.Special Features:
- Light n tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014For what we ate - duck, lamb, short ribs, hangar steak - it could have been very rich and fatty, but it was actually quite light. Delicious! Braised octopus to start and also the Croque Madame" which is actually sashimi, prosciutto and toast with a quail egg (fantastic.) then, the aforementioned mains - hangar steak was really soft. Dunno how they did that. To finish, strawberry shortcake and caramel bavarois. Quiet atmosphere, couteous service and a wine list with variety if not comprehensive.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 8/30/2014We did the pre fixe menu and loved the food. The scallops were great and so was the agnolotti which was a great vegetarian option. The salmon was delicious and so was the squid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, low energy, blah bathRELIGIONisEVILVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food, while tasty, was over-priced, as was the wine list which had few affordable options. The service was friendly and unobtrusive. The bathrooms need a remodel.
- Perfect meallafoodiesDined on 8/27/2014This was our first visit to Hatfield's and it definitely won't be the last. Service was gracious, knowledgable, not rushed. We had the mezzaluna pasta starter with beets. Loved the flavor. Octopus starter was delicious, too. My main was a perfectly cooked lupe de mer, husband had hangar steak/short rib, which he inhaled. Dessert was a fun beignet with chocolate sauce for dipping with a tiny malted milkshake served in an espresso cup. Our server introduced us to a lovely dessert wine, a macvin du Jura, which was just the right flavor with the sweets. We were there for my husband's birthday, and hatfield's made it a very special occasion, topped off with homemade malomars!!! Must go back again to try more of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hats off to Hatfield'sDouganandaVIPDined on 8/24/2014I happened to dine on a surprisingly slow Sunday evening, so the room felt a bit lonely. It was nonetheless lovely and the food very good. I had the vegetarian tasting menu which was relatively simple but tasty and beautiful in presentation. The staff was as gracious as could be. KudosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An adult eveningTexascountessDined on 8/24/2014Perfect Cocktails. Impeccable service. Creative well prepared food. The only miss was a scallop dish with a very heavy sauce that overwhelmed the delicacy of the scallop. Other in other than that everything was just beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we were expectingHammyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went to Hatfields based on its reputation and the fact that it had a Michelin Star. I will say we were sadly disappointed. I consider myself a foodie but I want to say that I am not a food snob by any means. Interesting small menu but the real problem was execution and flavor. Many of the dishes we had lacked flavor and many items just plain overcooked. Dinner fell flat, however, service was good.
- Overpriced and overratedAllyDined on 8/23/2014We had a good meal. But this is a restaurant with a Michelin star. We were expecting to be wowed, and we weren't. The menu seems outdated compared to some of the culinary gems that are sprouting up around LA.
- Great Food and ServiceLloydVIPDined on 8/23/2014We started with the Heirloom tomato and watermelon salad which was great. We then had the the Croquet Madam which was outstanding. The slow cooked Loup de Mer was absolutely awesome along with the pan roasted Duck Breast which was very tender and had great flavor. Timothy was our waiter and was fantastic. Very knowledgeable about the menu and extremely friendly. Overall this was a phenomenal experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Know how to cook meat wellChenVIPDined on 8/16/2014We try the seasonal prix fixe. The appetizer is so so. But we all like the 36 hour slow cook short rib. It is very tasty and tender. Also the steak is very great.Special Features:
- FunziesunicornStormDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding and the waiter we had was excellent! It was my first time going to Hatfields and they definitely left an impression. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was phenomenal. The flavors were fantastic. The scottish sockeye salmon from their seasonal prie fixe tasted like sashimi. The braised short ribs melts in your mouth. The only complaint I have is that the entire meal took two hours for four courses. There was a solid 30 minute break between dishes, which is less than ideal. Other then that, I would be excited to come here again!
- Always exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Have been going to Hatfields for years and it is still exceptional. Your core three are all taken care of (food, service and ambience).Special Features:
- I LOVE Hatfields!MarkPDined on 8/9/2014Great Food! Great service! We could all hear each other talk! Wonderful menu! 4th visit and it's still my favorite restaurant. It NEVER disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QueenKathyQueenKathyDined on 8/9/2014Fabulous! Dinner was an artistic experience with amazing and wonderful flavors! I especially recommend the scallops! Also, an amuse with Meyers lemon and prawns was served which was to die for! If you have never experienced hand crafted buttermilk ice cream, try the Pain Perdue. Once I tried it, I was in love! Just a heads up---you cannot experience the Chefs tasting menu unless at least two of you order it, which doesn't work if one of you is a vegetarian. They do have a vegetarian tasting menu, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedFoodieGal4Dined on 8/2/2014We were seated in their patio area, not the main dinning room. While it was quieter in this area, no air conditioner = uncomfortable! I ordered the Vegetarian Prix Fixe and my fiancé ordered the Croque Madame and the Pan Seared Diver Scallop as his entree. For the $59 that is charged for the Vegetarian Prix Fixe, I should have been wowed. Of the items that were served, the least flavorful was the Pan Roasted Carrots. My fiancé loved the appetizer and enjoyed the scallops, but why did he only receive three of them? He ordered it as an entree and should have gotten an "entree", not the "tasting" size. We did not stay for dessert. We were underwhelmed. Service was truly outstanding, and the epitome of professional and courteous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Simply amazing. Went here to experience our first Michelin Star Restaurant and it did not disappoint. Food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatgoomDined on 7/26/2014Food, service, noise level, privacy all of it is perfect. We went to Hatfields three years ago and loved it and it was as good or better the second time.Special Features:
- Still a gemFoodieFreakVIPDined on 7/26/2014Hatfield's continues to please in every way. The prix fixe menu is a good option to enjoy four courses without stuffing yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu was a nice choiceJamieasheDined on 7/25/2014Food was average. Duck wasn't that great. Everything as gas as taste was a 3Special Features:
- Good but not wowLukDDined on 7/20/2014We went to Hatfield's on a sunday evening. We arrived at 20:30 and we were the latest guests. The restaurant is very nice with plenty of space. The restaurant wasn't fully booked and after a while it became more and more empty. We chose the prix fixe menu and started with a cocktail. The sashimi was just delicious, the octopus my wife took was good, but nothing special. The second course, the salmon, was very good again. For the main dish we were going for the duck breast, again a good dish but nothing special. The service was good, but everything went a little to quick, so we hadn't the time to really enjoy everything. So we had a good evening and ate delicious food, but it wasn't a wow experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hatfield's Restaurant LA's #1!!!!!thankUchefsDined on 7/19/2014The food is delicate, complex, and absolutely divine. we have been here a few times now, and always order something different. we have oohed and aahed with every dish. the environment is open and comfortable and we were actually able to talk to each other without yelling. the noise level is quiet enough to enjoy the delicious food and have a conversation without yelling. what a joy! the staff was perfect in every way and the servers and service couldn't be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed atmosphereJasminDined on 7/18/2014Everyone was so friendly. The food was delicious. The wine pairing was right on for dinner. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supreme dining experienceWithHatfieldsForgetMcCoysDined on 7/16/2014Knowing we had 75 minutes before we needed to leave, the staff was fantastic in providing for our dining needs with care, information, a friendly (not familiar), cheerful level of service that was exceeded by the exceptional food and velvety wine. The appetizers, the entrees were excellent; the warm cheese bread and butter (heavenly); the dessert, that buttermilk ice-cream, baked strawberry, cinnamon toast combo was splendid! Bravo!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.