6703 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://hatfieldsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3239352977
- Hours of Operation:
DINNER: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm Friday: 6:00pm - 10:30pm Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Quinn Hatfield
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Hatfields
Quinn Hatfield's deft touch in the kitchen shines through on his short but dead-on, market-fresh menu. Appetizers are playful: Fabulously fleshy charred octopus is offset by a citrus-candied orange rind, and an updated croque madame features fresh hamachi, along with proscuitto, quail egg and out-of-this-world brioche. Main courses are uniformly excellent, be it juicy pan-roasted seabass, meaty duck breast that eats like a steak, and luscious, mint-crusted rack of lamb. For desserts, Karen Hatfield outdoes herself with the molten-centered house specialty chocolate peanut butter truffle cake, which is worth every decadent calorie its name promises.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Hatfields - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Hatfields reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)special occasion (94)romantic (67)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (35)good for groups (35)hot spot (19)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Over and OverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014I've been enjoying Hatfield's since the were located by The Grove, and it continues to deliver every time. The menu is approachable and changes regularly. Great for a wonderful family outing or if you need to impress some clients.Special Features:
- HATFIELD'S HOMERUN!NacnudVIPDined on 9/6/2014Karen and Quinn Hatfield know how to run a restaurant. From the front to the back, there is no detail unattended. We were there for our Anniversary - we've celebrated several there - and this was one of the best experiences ever. If you've been thinking about trying Hatfield's, wait no longer.Special Features:
- Friday nightNoellDined on 9/5/2014We dined at Hatfield's early on a Friday evening (6:30) The restaurant was pretty empty at that time but full when we left. The food was very nice with some interesting combinations. Especially enjoyed the Croque Madame and the Lamb with dates and mint. Had a new to us wine which was delightful. Staff attentive, helpful and friendly.Special Features:
- Definitely try the "Croque Madam"SoCalGeofVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had a fantastic evening celebrating an anniversary here. We ordered the 4 course seasonal prix fixe menu (incl. dessert), but asked to add something from the a la carte menu onto the beginning: the "Croque Madam," which we shared. Although the rest of the meal was excellent as well, that was the best thing we had all night. I highly recommend trying it! Another fun fact is that there is a credit card commercial airing featuring chef Curtis Stone at an "Italian" restaurant. But if you look closely, he's actually inside Hatfield's.Special Features:
- Never DissapointsPASSION4FOODVIPDined on 9/4/2014Had the prix fixe menu! It was delicious. Service was great as usual.Special Features:
- Light n tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014For what we ate - duck, lamb, short ribs, hangar steak - it could have been very rich and fatty, but it was actually quite light. Delicious! Braised octopus to start and also the Croque Madame" which is actually sashimi, prosciutto and toast with a quail egg (fantastic.) then, the aforementioned mains - hangar steak was really soft. Dunno how they did that. To finish, strawberry shortcake and caramel bavarois. Quiet atmosphere, couteous service and a wine list with variety if not comprehensive.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 8/30/2014We did the pre fixe menu and loved the food. The scallops were great and so was the agnolotti which was a great vegetarian option. The salmon was delicious and so was the squid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, low energy, blah bathRELIGIONisEVILVIPDined on 8/28/2014The food, while tasty, was over-priced, as was the wine list which had few affordable options. The service was friendly and unobtrusive. The bathrooms need a remodel.
- Perfect meallafoodiesDined on 8/27/2014This was our first visit to Hatfield's and it definitely won't be the last. Service was gracious, knowledgable, not rushed. We had the mezzaluna pasta starter with beets. Loved the flavor. Octopus starter was delicious, too. My main was a perfectly cooked lupe de mer, husband had hangar steak/short rib, which he inhaled. Dessert was a fun beignet with chocolate sauce for dipping with a tiny malted milkshake served in an espresso cup. Our server introduced us to a lovely dessert wine, a macvin du Jura, which was just the right flavor with the sweets. We were there for my husband's birthday, and hatfield's made it a very special occasion, topped off with homemade malomars!!! Must go back again to try more of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hats off to Hatfield'sDouganandaVIPDined on 8/24/2014I happened to dine on a surprisingly slow Sunday evening, so the room felt a bit lonely. It was nonetheless lovely and the food very good. I had the vegetarian tasting menu which was relatively simple but tasty and beautiful in presentation. The staff was as gracious as could be. KudosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An adult eveningTexascountessDined on 8/24/2014Perfect Cocktails. Impeccable service. Creative well prepared food. The only miss was a scallop dish with a very heavy sauce that overwhelmed the delicacy of the scallop. Other in other than that everything was just beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we were expectingHammyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went to Hatfields based on its reputation and the fact that it had a Michelin Star. I will say we were sadly disappointed. I consider myself a foodie but I want to say that I am not a food snob by any means. Interesting small menu but the real problem was execution and flavor. Many of the dishes we had lacked flavor and many items just plain overcooked. Dinner fell flat, however, service was good.
- Overpriced and overratedAllyDined on 8/23/2014We had a good meal. But this is a restaurant with a Michelin star. We were expecting to be wowed, and we weren't. The menu seems outdated compared to some of the culinary gems that are sprouting up around LA.
- Great Food and ServiceLloydVIPDined on 8/23/2014We started with the Heirloom tomato and watermelon salad which was great. We then had the the Croquet Madam which was outstanding. The slow cooked Loup de Mer was absolutely awesome along with the pan roasted Duck Breast which was very tender and had great flavor. Timothy was our waiter and was fantastic. Very knowledgeable about the menu and extremely friendly. Overall this was a phenomenal experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Know how to cook meat wellChenVIPDined on 8/16/2014We try the seasonal prix fixe. The appetizer is so so. But we all like the 36 hour slow cook short rib. It is very tasty and tender. Also the steak is very great.Special Features:
- FunziesunicornStormDined on 8/15/2014The food was outstanding and the waiter we had was excellent! It was my first time going to Hatfields and they definitely left an impression. I look forward to going back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Food was phenomenal. The flavors were fantastic. The scottish sockeye salmon from their seasonal prie fixe tasted like sashimi. The braised short ribs melts in your mouth. The only complaint I have is that the entire meal took two hours for four courses. There was a solid 30 minute break between dishes, which is less than ideal. Other then that, I would be excited to come here again!
- Always exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Have been going to Hatfields for years and it is still exceptional. Your core three are all taken care of (food, service and ambience).Special Features:
- I LOVE Hatfields!MarkPDined on 8/9/2014Great Food! Great service! We could all hear each other talk! Wonderful menu! 4th visit and it's still my favorite restaurant. It NEVER disappointsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QueenKathyQueenKathyDined on 8/9/2014Fabulous! Dinner was an artistic experience with amazing and wonderful flavors! I especially recommend the scallops! Also, an amuse with Meyers lemon and prawns was served which was to die for! If you have never experienced hand crafted buttermilk ice cream, try the Pain Perdue. Once I tried it, I was in love! Just a heads up---you cannot experience the Chefs tasting menu unless at least two of you order it, which doesn't work if one of you is a vegetarian. They do have a vegetarian tasting menu, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedFoodieGal4Dined on 8/2/2014We were seated in their patio area, not the main dinning room. While it was quieter in this area, no air conditioner = uncomfortable! I ordered the Vegetarian Prix Fixe and my fiancé ordered the Croque Madame and the Pan Seared Diver Scallop as his entree. For the $59 that is charged for the Vegetarian Prix Fixe, I should have been wowed. Of the items that were served, the least flavorful was the Pan Roasted Carrots. My fiancé loved the appetizer and enjoyed the scallops, but why did he only receive three of them? He ordered it as an entree and should have gotten an "entree", not the "tasting" size. We did not stay for dessert. We were underwhelmed. Service was truly outstanding, and the epitome of professional and courteous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014Simply amazing. Went here to experience our first Michelin Star Restaurant and it did not disappoint. Food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatgoomDined on 7/26/2014Food, service, noise level, privacy all of it is perfect. We went to Hatfields three years ago and loved it and it was as good or better the second time.Special Features:
- Still a gemFoodieFreakVIPDined on 7/26/2014Hatfield's continues to please in every way. The prix fixe menu is a good option to enjoy four courses without stuffing yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu was a nice choiceJamieasheDined on 7/25/2014Food was average. Duck wasn't that great. Everything as gas as taste was a 3Special Features:
- Good but not wowLukDDined on 7/20/2014We went to Hatfield's on a sunday evening. We arrived at 20:30 and we were the latest guests. The restaurant is very nice with plenty of space. The restaurant wasn't fully booked and after a while it became more and more empty. We chose the prix fixe menu and started with a cocktail. The sashimi was just delicious, the octopus my wife took was good, but nothing special. The second course, the salmon, was very good again. For the main dish we were going for the duck breast, again a good dish but nothing special. The service was good, but everything went a little to quick, so we hadn't the time to really enjoy everything. So we had a good evening and ate delicious food, but it wasn't a wow experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hatfield's Restaurant LA's #1!!!!!thankUchefsDined on 7/19/2014The food is delicate, complex, and absolutely divine. we have been here a few times now, and always order something different. we have oohed and aahed with every dish. the environment is open and comfortable and we were actually able to talk to each other without yelling. the noise level is quiet enough to enjoy the delicious food and have a conversation without yelling. what a joy! the staff was perfect in every way and the servers and service couldn't be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed atmosphereJasminDined on 7/18/2014Everyone was so friendly. The food was delicious. The wine pairing was right on for dinner. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Supreme dining experienceWithHatfieldsForgetMcCoysDined on 7/16/2014Knowing we had 75 minutes before we needed to leave, the staff was fantastic in providing for our dining needs with care, information, a friendly (not familiar), cheerful level of service that was exceeded by the exceptional food and velvety wine. The appetizers, the entrees were excellent; the warm cheese bread and butter (heavenly); the dessert, that buttermilk ice-cream, baked strawberry, cinnamon toast combo was splendid! Bravo!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2014Great in all areas. Best dinner in a long time. The service was great and the open kitchen very entertaining.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014My wife and I came to Hattfields for our second time. This time, we brought two friends who are very knowledgeable about fine foods/dining. We sprung for the most expensive Prix Fixe on the menu. All I can say is that it was worth EVERY penny. Absolutely wonderful experience of sight, smell, and taste. I'll remember the meal for years to come.Special Features:
- Great dinner!edelDined on 7/5/2014The food was excellent and the wine pairing made the experience extra special. The salmon and scallops were my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No excusePastaloverVIPDined on 7/5/2014During the entire dinner, no one asked how the dish was, did we need anything, and half the time we poured our own wine. If this were Denny's--no problem... but at a restaurant of this caliber it is inexcusable. Food -grilled octopus was delicious but only included 2 small pieces. Ordered the lamb chops medium rare but they arrived medium. Duck breast entree portion- small appetizer at best & unimpressive. Most outstanding part of dinner was the bread--fabulous. With all of the rave reviews, I was absolutely floored with the consistently poor service throughout the meal and combined with the lack luster quality of some dishes, it was too disappointing to return with only the suggestion that a manager would offer an extra bite or two.
- Trying a Ramsey RecommendationDineanddishDined on 6/29/2014Polite attentive staff upon arrival. Open kitchen captures your attention with monochromatic decor and subdued lighting makes a great first impression. The menu provided a diverse selection of seasonal dishes via tasting or a la carte. Prices were reasonable and the menu/wine list followed a minimalist approach focusing on quality vs quantity. The dishes were delicious and well presented. The service was a bit slow for the basics even though the restaurant wasn't very crowded. Overall very good but lacked the wow factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite RestaurantBababrentwoodDined on 6/29/2014We went to celebrate our wedding anniversary and wanted to go somewhere very special. This restaurant exceeded our expectations on every level. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Spring Tasting Menu is DelishRocketMamaVIPDined on 6/28/2014Everything was worth savoring...I will definitely return and recommend it to friends for date night. All the ladies were dressed up and it felt like a special Saturday night date night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STLfanSTLfanDined on 6/26/2014We have dined several times at Hatfields and on each occasion the food has been superb. The service is impeccable and friendly without being intrusive. The restaurant layout and lighting contribute to a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere. The cocktails are innovative and tasty. Without a doubt this is one of the top restaurants in Los Angeles.Special Features:
- Special Night OutFun4FourDined on 6/26/2014The whole evening was wonderful from the service to the atmosphere to the food and drink. While expensive, it was worth it for such a special evening.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014The food left me in a meditative state. With every attention to the small pungent details, this place is a definite go to for an excellent meal.Special Features:
- One of LA's best restaurantsanthonyjnVIPDined on 6/21/2014Hatfield's is a truly special restaurant. It puts out some of the best savory and sweet courses in the city. Their contemporary take on Croque Madame delivers all the greatness of that classic French recipe while being something completely different at the same time. The braised beef short rib is juicy and soft, but it is also very steak-like in its presentation. The pain perdu has a canele-like crust--a rich, crunchy caramelized shell. Combine the great food with a beautiful dining room (which includes a glass enclosed kitchen that was featured in the movie Chef) and you have one of the best restaurants in Southern California.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.