Harvest - Wisconsin
21 North Pinckney Street
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harvest - Wisconsin
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.harvest-restaurant.com/
- Phone: (608) 255-6075
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30PM - 10:00PM Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Derek Rowe
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Harvest offers a special event one Sunday of each month. Please check our website for further details.
A word from Harvest - Wisconsin
Our evolving menu takes advantage of the great variety of local and organic ingredients raised by this region's farmers. Named by Organic Style magazine as one of the top 20 restaurants in America, and most recently named one of America's top Farm-to-Table restaurants by Gourmet Magazine. Harvest takes seriously its obligation to our customers of providing the best each season has to offer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Harvest - Wisconsin - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
Harvest - Wisconsin reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)special occasion (13)romantic (9)notable wine list (8)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (6)scenic view (5)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amazing all aroundFoodguruVIPDined on 11/6/2014we had a very ice dinner at Harvest. Food was fresh and excellent. Service was kind of slow but they picked it up after we had a few rounds of cocktails that were slow to,arrive. The harvest martini was interesting and worth a try.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningVonnVIPDined on 10/30/2014It was difficult to imagine that I was really in Madison. Exceptional food and service overlooking the lights of the square made you feel you were somewhere else. The salmon was prepared to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okSusanDined on 10/25/2014In short the food was good but the service was lacking
- Train your staffSTJMSPDined on 10/24/2014The young lady who was our server seemed sweet but knew nothing about the menu or wine. When asked to describe a couple of wines, she gave descriptions one would expect from a server at Applebee's, not Harvest. She said one red wine (primarily Grenache) was "tangy". Her descriptions of the menu items were similar. A good server navigates the menu, has insights, opinions, suggestions. None of that. And then, our courses were spaced out minutes apart. She did buy us a glass of wine to make up but I wasn't there to save money. Harvest: Train your staff.Special Features:
- unorganizeddinnerdinnerDined on 10/10/2014some of the food was good, some was inedible. The appetizers never came out, the steaks were all over cooked, pasta mushy and bad. The service was good and the manager made it right, but it's sad that there was such chaos in the kitchen.
- Always great!RussVIPDined on 9/12/2014The salmon was cooked to perfection (not overcooked like most restaurants). The mushroom side was out of this world. Nice beer selection as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- upscale diningviolinmakerDined on 8/30/2014Very good food, respectful service, nice option to college town food.Special Features:
- Very poorMaryMcDined on 8/29/2014Everything wrong with this place, service, food, management. Very poor experience and would not recommend.
- So-soJmccurrDined on 8/23/2014I was disappointed in my dinner. I took my boyfriend to Harvest for his birthday and and was okay with it being a little pricey, I wanted to take him to good dinner. The portions were far too small and quite honestly not that great. I got a chewy steak and my boyfriend ordered fish that he ate in about 2 minutes. For an $80 meal (without wine) I expected more.Special Features:
- A true find.BrantVIPDined on 8/11/2014Been here a couple times a year for the past 4 years. Always amazing food - love their approach to everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 140 reviews are from the Harvest - Wisconsin reviews archive.
- DisappointedLuv2skateDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I came for our anniversary dinner and were very disappointed. Had been once before and remembered service was slow. This time service was extremely slow. Took a long time for waiter to come to the table. Had questions about unusual cocktails, he said he didn't know much about the cocktails and sent the concierge over who wasn't much help either. The heirloom tomatoe starter was good. Told us it would be 5 minutes before the bread would come out which it didn't, so we had to ask again. Cucumber radish salad was bland, so was the halibut. Waiter not around much. Long time between salad and main course. Waiter kept apologizing. They were out of the 1/2 bottle of wine my husband wanted, a Pinot noir, and offered no substitute.Special Features:
- HarvestSoulman1251VIPDined on 7/9/2014Excellent food, super service and a great view of the Wisconsin Capitol BuildingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh it's so fresh!KatravlerDined on 7/5/2014Great place, fresh organic produce, and must do in Madison!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisexfighterpilotDined on 6/23/2014We were looking for a perfect spot to invite family for dinner close to our B&B, and Harvest delivered a very pleasant evening of good food, drink, atmosphere, and service. My mother (a tough critic of all of the above) could not stop talking about much she appreciated the dinner, and as a local resident she is already making plans to come again. Thanks for making me look good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual combinationsnil0Dined on 6/14/2014My son enjoyed the hanger steak, which came with mashed potatoes instead of pommes frites. Those were good, too. I had pork loin, very good, served on a bed of greens with balsamic vinaigrette. But the greens were whole and impossible to eat neatly. The wine list is not great, but better than most, with a large selection of half bottles. I had a very nice Chianti Classico.Special Features:
- Always Excellent-Always InterestingJessicaVIPDined on 6/14/2014We happened to dine at Harvest on the same day as the Madison Farmer's Market. Some of the menu items were revised based on what the chef found at the market. Everything was wonderful from the service to the ambiance to the food. The only difficulty we had was narrowing our selections down to one for each course. This is our absolute favorite restaurant when we visit Madison.Special Features:
- A good downtown spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014The food was well-prepared and attractively served. I had skate wing and the other person had salmon. We both enjoyed our dinners. The wine list includes a fairly large number of half bottles which is nice for two people. Our waitress was attentive. We sat outside and it was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrible service and poor foodqmanDined on 5/24/2014This was the worst service I have ever received. The server could not remember orders, could not explain the menu, spilled wine when she poured and did not check on us after our food was served. I had to go find the manager when only some of our first courses were served to us. Dirty dishes and glasses were not cleared from our table between courses. It took forever between courses. The food was not that good. Items were generally under-seasoned. Some ingredients listed on the menu may have been left out as the flavors were not there. Some items were also not properly cooked. The pasta was sticky and the temperature of the steaks and pork chop questionable. Space does not permit detailing everything that was wrong with this experience.
- MferVIPDined on 5/23/2014The large selection of half bottles of wine was much appreciated. The cheese platter a must Service was knowledgeable friendly and you wanted to ce back Next time we're in town this will Be a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysTRAESDined on 4/26/2014We were able to make a late reservation (same day) although the restaurant was very busy. We got a great table and a great server. We were hosting an out of town guest and former Madison resident who hadn't been to Harvest in a long time. She really enjoyed her return visit. Our visit and meal were very relaxing and the ambiance was such that we could carry on a conversation while enjoying our meal. The lemon dessert we enjoyed was so excellent that we asked the server how it was made. She responded by going to the kitchen and returning with the recipe which we photographed. This was certainly beyond our expectations.Special Features:
- MishaDined on 4/26/2014Excellent food, this place remains to be one of the top restaurants not only in the city of Madison but in the region.Special Features:
- Sustainably yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014All the food was amazing! We only eat sustainably raised meats and it was so nice that we didn't have to ask where the meat was from. They have a list on their website!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HarvestWikoloDined on 4/15/2014Took a friend here for her birthday. Much fancier than expected, but the service was excellent. Food was pretty good but a bit under seasoned. I had the flank steak and she had the salmon. Portions were pretty good. Only disappointing thing was lack of viable vegetarian options-with a name like harvest I would have expected a bit more. Luckily my friend is able to eat fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - loudLightLadDined on 3/31/2014The food was incredible - don't skip desert! All dishes were excellent in presentation and taste. The restaurant is very loud. The tables are close together. The second dining room was unused and the first was very full and very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest is a lovely restaurantJudyDined on 3/8/2014Harvest is a lovely restaurant on the Capital square. The menu is limited but everything on it you know will be prepared exquisitely. Pricey for the area, but worth it for the top notch food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/1/2014Our salads and entrees (chicken and snapper) were very good, though the snapper had to be returned to be heated as it wasn't very warm. Service very good. Our bill was quite high, and would recommend for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceKatholasDined on 2/28/2014We have dined here many times and will definitely be back again. Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good flavor but overpriced for amtswantingmoreDined on 2/8/2014The flavors of our meal were among the finest we have eaten, although the meal fell flat in terms of the amount of food provided for the price. The main offender was the Red Snapper entree, which provided an extremely (and I mean extremely) small piece atop a thin seafood bisque. The snapper was no-doubt-about-it tasty, but with no carbohydrate to accompany the fish, I would consider this less than the size of an appetizer. First course items were similarly small for the price. On the other hand, the Berkshire Farms pork chop entree was thick and full-sized. Also, the best pork chop any of us had ever eaten. The two of us who ordered snapper were so hungry after finishing our entree we had to fight for the pork chop bone. No lie.Special Features:
- Excellent Salmon -- the neverRussVIPDined on 1/15/2014Excellent Salmon -- the never over cook it! Sauted mushrooms also outstanding.Special Features:
- As usual the meal and serviceTRAESDined on 12/7/2013As usual the meal and service were very good. The two people that ordered the duck confit both mentioned the skimpy amount of duck which was served in a broth. We had a bit of confusion with credit card which somehow got mixed up and needed to be processed three times before it was settled correctly.Special Features:
- Good but not what it used to be....PajarelDined on 11/22/2013Harvest is a classic in Madison but there are a significant number of places that have opened recently that are at the same level but offering a bit more "modern" menu, equivalent service and decoration. Harvest is a great place that I love and, as usual, l really enjoyed it during last visit on Friday. Having said that it is not as exclusive as it used to be. I love the location but only if you get one of the two tables with a view of the Capitol (which I did). If not it is as good as many other places in Madison. Even around the square there are now a number of places now which do not have nothing to envy to Harvest. In summary: I highly recommended it, but don't be taken away of other places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodLeslieVIPDined on 10/26/2013We've eaten here 3 times in the last 3 years as we visit our son at UWisc, and it has been a reliable pleasure.Special Features:
- Very tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2013I have no complaints on the food. It was inventive and delicious. Our table was by the door, and it was drafty and busy there, which might bother some people. Even though the room was not full, I did not feel like I could linger over coffee, maybe that table placement was why. Service was competent but not warm. For a table of 4, I was surprised that an 18% tip was added to the bill. I usually tip more, but was not going to add to what they wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceAJNGDined on 10/25/2013Memorable meal. Pork tenderloin was perfectly prepared, tender and full of flavor. Duck confit was savory and elegantly presented. Parsnip soup was a great seasonal starter. The market apple salad was a perfect blend of sweet and salty notes. Service was just right...attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Harvest HarvestBillDined on 10/19/2013Always an imaginative menu, excellent wait staff, and in a great location and setting.Special Features:
- Great meal. Great serviceRobertVIPDined on 10/12/2013Harvest is a wonderful spot to enjoy a great meal overlooking the capital. Reservations are suggested - especially on football weekends. The food is prepared very well - the tenderloin was excellent. It can be at times a little crowed in the restaurant as tables are closely situated in a small space. Enjoy this great spot.Special Features:
- Not as good as I expectedKarenBDined on 10/10/2013I read a lot about where to eat in Madison before I visited, and this was a must. I was very excited, and maybe that it why it did not live up to my expectations. I had eaten at L'Etoile the night before, so maybe I expected too much. The food was good (we shared an appetizer, my husband had an entree, and I tried several small plates), but nothing special. To be fair, the people next to us told their waiter it was the best meal they ever had, so maybe we just picked the wrong things. Our service wasn't great, but it was busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 10/5/2013Quality has declined while prices have risen over time. I will not return given the extremely high prices.
- Praise all around!HarvestDined on 10/4/2013My husband and I went here for our 3rd wedding anniversary. We ate early and got a table by the window, which was great. My one and only complaint (which isn't a big deal) was that we waited about 10 minutes before a waiter came over and took our drink order. We asked the waiter for suggestions on cocktails and he was spot on. All the food was delicious. We shared one small plate, 3 first courses and the gnochi. It was all very good. We weren't stuffed, but definitely fully satisfied quantity wise. We will go back for certain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointedFoodieDined on 10/2/2013We were going to a show at 7:30 at the Overture Center so we made 6:00 dinner reservations for 6 of us thinking this would give us plenty of time. We ordered drinks and a cheese tray right when we sat. The cheese tray took 45 minutes to get to our table. We also were still waiting for our food at 7:10 and couldn't get the attention of any server. Three of us got the duck with apples and squash which coast well over $20 and could barely find any duck in the meal at all. We literally counted about 4 cubes of duck in the meal. We were still starving after our meal that was over $400 and we were very upset. And believe me when I say, this is a nice review for how we really felt about our experience.Special Features: