Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City
200 South 40th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestseasonalgrill.com/
- Phone: 2156621100x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Wednesday - 11am-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Anthony DiPascale
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: N/A
A word from Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City
Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar features a local, farm fresh, seasonal menu with many items that are below 500 calories in an upscale casual atmosphere. Harvest also offers several organic wines, beers and specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (42)great for outdoor dining (38)neighborhood gem (36)great for lunch (34)good for groups (33)notable wine list (19)special occasion (18)romantic (12)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (7)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Good ambience, good service and mediocre food ! Disappointed !Special Features:
- Fit FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Food was excellent, server was attentive and knowledgable , several choices for fitness freaks or nature lovers, a little loud but hey with a location amidst several college I guess that expected on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch on a Budget!NevaDined on 10/14/2014While I was there for lunch with a friend and already had in mind what I was getting, I was told about the buffet special they were running. They offer a lunch buffet, all you can eat, for 9.99! That is unheard of for the city. I will definitely be getting it the next time I am inSpecial Features:
- FabulousReadingGrrlDined on 10/11/2014Fabulous seasonal fresh food. Lots of gluten free options and vegetarian options. Interesting drinks, fresh juices - Loved itSpecial Features:
- First VisitlibrarygroupDined on 10/8/2014The restaurant is lovely including the outside area. The food and service were good but the noise level really put me off. We were 5 people in a booth and the restuarant was only about a third full and there were times we could not hear each other. I can't imagine what it's like with a full house. The food was delicious and service was good but not being able to communicate with the people you are dining with is not acceptable. I will give it another try but not optimistic.Special Features:
- Ann1VIPDined on 9/27/2014I've read critical reviews of Harvest, but our experience was fine -- very friendly service and food arrived promptly. Delicious squash soup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceamargVIPDined on 9/20/2014Ordered a glass of wine that never came. Waitress never returned after taking our order, until clearing the table and presenting the bill. Had to flag down FOUR workers to get water refilled and still had to wait an additional five minutes. Not cheap. Food was just okay; definitely not worth putting up with the total lack of service. There are much better dining options near Penn.
- PRLC Harvesthoward2VIPDined on 9/19/2014The entire night was influenced by the front of house checking us in (had a reservation) and then "not having an available table" 10 minutes later. Not only that, but they could not have cared less. We finally got a table in the back corner of the very noisy (in reservation had requested quiet table) upstairs bar instead of the booth we were shown on the quiet first floor. I understand mistakes happen, but the attitude we got was outrageous.Special Features:
- workerworkerDined on 9/16/2014Mid week dinner with a few friends. Easy to get a reservation, comfortable seating. Portion size was smaller than expected, average in flavor, fine presentation. Greeted by server quickly, but needed to seek her out during the meal. Waited a long time for drinks after ordering them. After inquiring about the status of the drinks 2 were brought, asking about the 3 rd drink after sever checked on it told they were out of the ingredient needed to make the drink. Unlikely to return.Special Features:
- DisappointedJoe11Dined on 9/13/2014After booking in advance we were seated upstairs in the bar area, which was empty except for a noisy bunch of students drinking. The food was very average, as was the service. (Perhaps because the waiter was serving tables downstairs) We had hoped to have a good meal in a restaurant atmosphere, with other diners, not by ourselves in a bar. Food requires upgrading, very poor.
- Nice surprise worth checking outDinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014It was a perfect day for a nice dinner outdoors before a movie at International House. Harvest Seasonal Bar & Grill fit the bill perfectly. The outdoor seating area is nicely separated from sidewalk traffic with lovely planters and flowers. Service was lovely and professional. A shout out to Jasmine who was spot on with menu & wine recommendations. The drinks were ok. Food was well prepared. Butternut squash soup a tad too sweet, but had a lovely texture. Appetizers were good, particularly the shrimp appetizer. We stayed with seafood on a Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed the salmon BLT and the fish special. Both were nicely prepared and presented. I appreciated the menu highlighting items that were over 500 calories. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Back for another fall "harvest"PaulDined on 9/7/2014We come to Harvest every once in a while, and it's always a great meal. With the seasons beginning to change, the menu here is doing the same, and we got a preview of the fall flavors.Special Features:
- paintmanbillVIPDined on 8/31/2014They changed layout. Converting from dining room to a bar setting. Not sure we like it.Special Features:
- theater nite diningtravelingtouristDined on 8/31/2014The entire menu looked terrific so deciding was hard. Appetizers were nice portions. Lots of wine choices. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buffet food shouldn't be dry...livetoeatDined on 8/27/2014At my lunch visit, I was thrilled to see a $10 buffet with a number of different dishes--love eating a little bit of this, a little bit of that. However: the most of the hot food was dried up and not good to eat. They need to consider what other buffets do, which is to put hot food in a steamed dish. The dishes that had some liquid in them so that they hadn't dried up (salmon with a sauce, macaroni and cheese, potatoes with cheese on them) were delicious. However, great place for a nonmeat eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy when in Philly18OctdinnerDined on 8/23/2014We are in Philly about 2x a year and always enjoy stopping in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKMF3Dined on 8/22/2014Was pretty disappointed because the menu looked so great online. The food was just okay - nothing special at all. We sat in the bar area and had no waiter (just the bartender) which is fine, but we were totally neglected and the service was very slow - even though the bar area was dead on a Saturday night! Won't be going back.
- Nice Place, Nice mealCatalinaDined on 8/21/2014I really enjoyed the food here. The vibe was kinda cool as well. I have already recommended this place to friends, and I look forward to returning
- Excellent foodEvoraSDined on 8/20/2014We had been in University City for 3-4 days. Finding Harvest was an oasis. The food was excellent, portion sizes perfect and the ambience was good. The hanger steak was cooked perfectly (rare). It unusual in the US for steak not to be over cooked - but this was perfect. Great smoky flavour. Fresh salads were crisp and well dressed in a light dressing. Desserts are served in a large shot glass. They are also a perfect size for a sweet finish without being heavy. We shared the strawberry cheesecake and the salt caramel chocolate. Service was a little erratic but as we were in no hurry it didn't detract from the experience. A bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc and the bill for 3 of us was $130. Decent value. I would recommend this.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great farm to tableYummyMamaDined on 8/18/2014Gluten free menu is not just a bland stripped down version of the main menu. The lemon thyme chicken and swordfish were flavorful and fresh. There were enough menu choices to satisfy a picky teen, gluten-free mom & meat and potatoes dad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night!EJW7859Dined on 8/2/2014We went to Harvest for a family dinner. Service was good...food was good. Worried that it would not be enough for our 3 almost men (boys). We ordered 3 appetizers along with dinners. Maybe on the expensive side, but good.Special Features:
- AverageDanaDined on 7/24/2014We went to the Harvest Grill for dining days. It was OK, but that's about it. The grilled salmon entrée was tasty and moist, and the udon salad was pretty good. The chicken skewers with peanut sauce appetizer was awful however. The chicken was dry and the peanut sauce must have come out of a jar. The sauce was tasteless and had an odd consistency. The dessert, billed as banana cream pie, came in a cup and had little flavor. One of my dining companions remarked that she hated wasting calories on it. But the ambience is very nice and the place has good outside seating.
- Healthy and heartyDreWifeDined on 7/24/2014Good dining experience. Highly recommended especially to those who are watching what they eat.Special Features:
- Delicious food but small portions!amorosalatteDined on 7/21/2014We came here for University City dining days and enjoyed the food very much! We chose to sit outside, but didn't feel like we weren't being waited on. We received just the right amount of attention. The food was delicious (scallops were seared BEAUTIFULLY) but the portions were on the small side. Every person in our party of 4 was still hungry by the end of our 3 course meal. Not sure if this is due to dining days or if their portions are always that small. However, I would definitely go back because the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014One of the things that stands out about the menu at Harvest is that everything (with the exception of a few) is 500 calories or less. You can have a tasty meal with little worry about your caloric intake. With regard to the food itself, things are hit or miss. Our appetizer was super delicious while dinner was just okay. My pork chop lacked seasoning (or something). Our server was very well versed and able to make good reccomendations. All in all, I would go back to give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okFoodieGirlBDined on 7/17/2014I took a friend from out of town here because I'd heard great things about the seasonal menu. We started with appetizers that were ok, but nothing exciting. We ordered a bottle if wine which was good, but we neede to remind our waitress that we hadn't received it after ordering it 15 minutes earlier. Our entrees arrived just after the appetizer dishes were cleared. I ordered the fish tacos at the recommendation of our server. The fish was dry and overcooked, but the tacos were tasty. My friend was thrilled with her salmon dish and raved about the flavor. The best part of the experience was the ambiance. We dined outdoors on the patio and enjoyed the summer weather.Special Features:
- Harvest usually great, but...PG13VIPDined on 7/17/2014We are Harvest loyalists, having first eaten in Glen Mills, then moving to the West Philly version when we moved into the city. However, our last experience in West Philly was not up to Harvest's high standard. The staff seemed distracted and not well-trained. This resulted in poor sequencing of courses, so that my gazpacho arrived with my entree, which was already cool and got colder while I ate. Also, although the hostess found our Open Table reservation, it was later cancelled even though we ate at the restaurant! When I called to have this corrected I was put on hold then shunted to voice mail. Because of our past wonderful experiences we will return, but we sincerely hope for a better experience next time!Special Features:
- Nice dinner on outside patioLeahVIPDined on 7/17/2014Four old friends got together for a long overdue dinner and we decided to go to Harvest in West Philadelphia. It was a beautiful evening and we had a very nice meal if shared appetizers in the outside patio. The service was excellent--very attentive without being annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Their shrimp and "crab" appetizer had no crab, or if there was any I couldn't find it. A rip off item.
- RosinaVIPDined on 7/9/2014First time here, looking forwRd to local fresh food. We did the lunch buffet. It was AWFUL.we are 2 old gals with developed palates. Maybe this food is for hungry college kids who have not refined Taste buds.
- Truly impressivejessicajadeDined on 7/8/2014The entire experience exceeded my already high expectations. There were maybe only two other tables dining in the whole restaurant, so it made it very enjoyable. The food was outstanding. I've never said "wow" so much while eating in my life. Definitely worth the price. Would absolutely recommend this place to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot but hit or miss foodjwjwVIPDined on 6/30/2014My daughter and I dined at Harvest Grille a few days ago and enjoyed ourselves. The venue is lovely (we dined outside under an umbrella amid beautiful floral arrangements) and the drinks were delicious. The food itself, however, was hit or miss. The short rib flatbread and the dumplings were nice. The shrimp and crab cocktail, however, was essentially flavorless, and the fish tacos were simply horrible -- they had a strange flavor that tasted like mold. The tacos were so bad that I ate only one and left the other one for the garbage.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining in West PhillySuzenDined on 6/27/2014I love going to Harvest. Their menu changes seasonally, they have a great selection of wines that you can drink by the glass or create your own tasting flight, and their outdoor seating is very pleasant. Not too much street traffic and enjoyable ambiance. The food is always yummy. I personally recommend the short rib flat bread, cheese plate, and ratatouille grinder...all delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but not terribly specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014We enjoyed our food, but weren't blown away by anything. Everything we had was solid, but nothing really stood out. I did appreciate their diverse menu which included a plethora of vegetarian and healthy meat/fish options. So it's a great place to bring a group of diverse eaters. We would go back, especially with family in town. The little dessert cups were pretty adorable actually.Special Features:
- The following 265 reviews are from the Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City reviews archive.
- Great food but not-so-good serviceBobaylaDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I come to Harvest a lot because there are a number of dishes we love. The prices are also good. The service is usually okay but last night we waited 10 minutes to be acknowledged by a hostess and about 20 minutes to get a waiter to bring us water. Perhaps they were short staffed. In any event it was sort of embarrassing to bring our first-time guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night!SheldonsmamaDined on 6/19/2014That was a perfect date night for me and my husband. Amazing food, gorgeous restaurant, and a nice part of the city. The parking was easy, too! That's rare in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 6/13/2014My girlfriend and I had a very pleasant experience dining at this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!EMS1Dined on 6/13/2014We were here to celebrate a graduation. The food was wonderful, really enjoyed everything we had. Many of us were on 'diets' of one kind of another so the choices and calorie max options were great. Our waitress was lovely but very inexperienced (by her own admission). That was about the only shortcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- >23 year vegan RNveganRNDined on 6/12/2014The reservations were made and confirmed efficiently using a well-designed website. The service was thorough and the food was delicious. Five out of 6 in our party were vegans and pleased with the menu options. The ambiance (high ceilings, good decor & colors) was very nice when we were there in the afternoon and I can easily imagine it full of people in the evening. If I ever return to Philly, I will definitely at least have a drink at Harvest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InfinitoZDined on 6/9/2014I came with a group of three on a late Tuesday night. Harvest had a good selection of half-off wine bottles that night. The food was delicious (the pesto flatbread), but entree sizes could have been larger for their price. The dessert was great, and the server even let us try the Vegan Blackberry Cheesecake for free to give them feedback about it as they were still working out the recipe. Would definitely return!Special Features: