Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City
200 South 40th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestseasonalgrill.com/
- Phone: 2156621100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Anthony DiPascale
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: N/A
A word from Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City
Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar features a local, farm fresh, seasonal menu with many items that are below 500 calories in an upscale casual atmosphere. Harvest also offers several organic wines, beers and specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (39)fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (30)special occasion (27)great for lunch (27)notable wine list (18)great for brunch (17)romantic (17)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- Buffet food shouldn't be dry...livetoeatDined on 8/27/2014At my lunch visit, I was thrilled to see a $10 buffet with a number of different dishes--love eating a little bit of this, a little bit of that. However: the most of the hot food was dried up and not good to eat. They need to consider what other buffets do, which is to put hot food in a steamed dish. The dishes that had some liquid in them so that they hadn't dried up (salmon with a sauce, macaroni and cheese, potatoes with cheese on them) were delicious. However, great place for a nonmeat eater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy when in Philly18OctdinnerDined on 8/23/2014We are in Philly about 2x a year and always enjoy stopping in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKMF3Dined on 8/22/2014Was pretty disappointed because the menu looked so great online. The food was just okay - nothing special at all. We sat in the bar area and had no waiter (just the bartender) which is fine, but we were totally neglected and the service was very slow - even though the bar area was dead on a Saturday night! Won't be going back.
- Excellent foodEvoraSDined on 8/20/2014We had been in University City for 3-4 days. Finding Harvest was an oasis. The food was excellent, portion sizes perfect and the ambience was good. The hanger steak was cooked perfectly (rare). It unusual in the US for steak not to be over cooked - but this was perfect. Great smoky flavour. Fresh salads were crisp and well dressed in a light dressing. Desserts are served in a large shot glass. They are also a perfect size for a sweet finish without being heavy. We shared the strawberry cheesecake and the salt caramel chocolate. Service was a little erratic but as we were in no hurry it didn't detract from the experience. A bottle of NZ Sauvignon Blanc and the bill for 3 of us was $130. Decent value. I would recommend this.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great farm to tableYummyMamaDined on 8/18/2014Gluten free menu is not just a bland stripped down version of the main menu. The lemon thyme chicken and swordfish were flavorful and fresh. There were enough menu choices to satisfy a picky teen, gluten-free mom & meat and potatoes dad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night!EJW7859Dined on 8/2/2014We went to Harvest for a family dinner. Service was good...food was good. Worried that it would not be enough for our 3 almost men (boys). We ordered 3 appetizers along with dinners. Maybe on the expensive side, but good.Special Features:
- AverageDanaDined on 7/24/2014We went to the Harvest Grill for dining days. It was OK, but that's about it. The grilled salmon entrée was tasty and moist, and the udon salad was pretty good. The chicken skewers with peanut sauce appetizer was awful however. The chicken was dry and the peanut sauce must have come out of a jar. The sauce was tasteless and had an odd consistency. The dessert, billed as banana cream pie, came in a cup and had little flavor. One of my dining companions remarked that she hated wasting calories on it. But the ambience is very nice and the place has good outside seating.
- Healthy and heartyDreWifeDined on 7/24/2014Good dining experience. Highly recommended especially to those who are watching what they eat.Special Features:
- Delicious food but small portions!amorosalatteDined on 7/21/2014We came here for University City dining days and enjoyed the food very much! We chose to sit outside, but didn't feel like we weren't being waited on. We received just the right amount of attention. The food was delicious (scallops were seared BEAUTIFULLY) but the portions were on the small side. Every person in our party of 4 was still hungry by the end of our 3 course meal. Not sure if this is due to dining days or if their portions are always that small. However, I would definitely go back because the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014One of the things that stands out about the menu at Harvest is that everything (with the exception of a few) is 500 calories or less. You can have a tasty meal with little worry about your caloric intake. With regard to the food itself, things are hit or miss. Our appetizer was super delicious while dinner was just okay. My pork chop lacked seasoning (or something). Our server was very well versed and able to make good reccomendations. All in all, I would go back to give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okFoodieGirlBDined on 7/17/2014I took a friend from out of town here because I'd heard great things about the seasonal menu. We started with appetizers that were ok, but nothing exciting. We ordered a bottle if wine which was good, but we neede to remind our waitress that we hadn't received it after ordering it 15 minutes earlier. Our entrees arrived just after the appetizer dishes were cleared. I ordered the fish tacos at the recommendation of our server. The fish was dry and overcooked, but the tacos were tasty. My friend was thrilled with her salmon dish and raved about the flavor. The best part of the experience was the ambiance. We dined outdoors on the patio and enjoyed the summer weather.Special Features:
- Harvest usually great, but...PG13VIPDined on 7/17/2014We are Harvest loyalists, having first eaten in Glen Mills, then moving to the West Philly version when we moved into the city. However, our last experience in West Philly was not up to Harvest's high standard. The staff seemed distracted and not well-trained. This resulted in poor sequencing of courses, so that my gazpacho arrived with my entree, which was already cool and got colder while I ate. Also, although the hostess found our Open Table reservation, it was later cancelled even though we ate at the restaurant! When I called to have this corrected I was put on hold then shunted to voice mail. Because of our past wonderful experiences we will return, but we sincerely hope for a better experience next time!Special Features:
- Nice dinner on outside patioLeahVIPDined on 7/17/2014Four old friends got together for a long overdue dinner and we decided to go to Harvest in West Philadelphia. It was a beautiful evening and we had a very nice meal if shared appetizers in the outside patio. The service was excellent--very attentive without being annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Their shrimp and "crab" appetizer had no crab, or if there was any I couldn't find it. A rip off item.
- RosinaVIPDined on 7/9/2014First time here, looking forwRd to local fresh food. We did the lunch buffet. It was AWFUL.we are 2 old gals with developed palates. Maybe this food is for hungry college kids who have not refined Taste buds.
- Truly impressivejessicajadeDined on 7/8/2014The entire experience exceeded my already high expectations. There were maybe only two other tables dining in the whole restaurant, so it made it very enjoyable. The food was outstanding. I've never said "wow" so much while eating in my life. Definitely worth the price. Would absolutely recommend this place to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot but hit or miss foodjwjwVIPDined on 6/30/2014My daughter and I dined at Harvest Grille a few days ago and enjoyed ourselves. The venue is lovely (we dined outside under an umbrella amid beautiful floral arrangements) and the drinks were delicious. The food itself, however, was hit or miss. The short rib flatbread and the dumplings were nice. The shrimp and crab cocktail, however, was essentially flavorless, and the fish tacos were simply horrible -- they had a strange flavor that tasted like mold. The tacos were so bad that I ate only one and left the other one for the garbage.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining in West PhillySuzenDined on 6/27/2014I love going to Harvest. Their menu changes seasonally, they have a great selection of wines that you can drink by the glass or create your own tasting flight, and their outdoor seating is very pleasant. Not too much street traffic and enjoyable ambiance. The food is always yummy. I personally recommend the short rib flat bread, cheese plate, and ratatouille grinder...all delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but not terribly specialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/24/2014We enjoyed our food, but weren't blown away by anything. Everything we had was solid, but nothing really stood out. I did appreciate their diverse menu which included a plethora of vegetarian and healthy meat/fish options. So it's a great place to bring a group of diverse eaters. We would go back, especially with family in town. The little dessert cups were pretty adorable actually.Special Features:
- Great food but not-so-good serviceBobaylaDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I come to Harvest a lot because there are a number of dishes we love. The prices are also good. The service is usually okay but last night we waited 10 minutes to be acknowledged by a hostess and about 20 minutes to get a waiter to bring us water. Perhaps they were short staffed. In any event it was sort of embarrassing to bring our first-time guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date night!SheldonsmamaDined on 6/19/2014That was a perfect date night for me and my husband. Amazing food, gorgeous restaurant, and a nice part of the city. The parking was easy, too! That's rare in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieDined on 6/13/2014My girlfriend and I had a very pleasant experience dining at this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!EMS1Dined on 6/13/2014We were here to celebrate a graduation. The food was wonderful, really enjoyed everything we had. Many of us were on 'diets' of one kind of another so the choices and calorie max options were great. Our waitress was lovely but very inexperienced (by her own admission). That was about the only shortcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- >23 year vegan RNveganRNDined on 6/12/2014The reservations were made and confirmed efficiently using a well-designed website. The service was thorough and the food was delicious. Five out of 6 in our party were vegans and pleased with the menu options. The ambiance (high ceilings, good decor & colors) was very nice when we were there in the afternoon and I can easily imagine it full of people in the evening. If I ever return to Philly, I will definitely at least have a drink at Harvest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InfinitoZDined on 6/9/2014I came with a group of three on a late Tuesday night. Harvest had a good selection of half-off wine bottles that night. The food was delicious (the pesto flatbread), but entree sizes could have been larger for their price. The dessert was great, and the server even let us try the Vegan Blackberry Cheesecake for free to give them feedback about it as they were still working out the recipe. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- Farm to table-AokJudyrDined on 6/7/2014We were a party of 5 the other night at Harvest-one of whom is a vegetarian and one who is a carnivore who likes things stripped down to their simplest form-the other 3 are easier to please-we all found something that we enjoyed-we shared 3 appetizers, 2 flatbreads and some hummus-My husband had the bison burger-stripped down to its basic form, omitting the aoli mayonnaise and the cheese -our vegetarian enjoyed his mac an cheese and ratatouille grinder- my daughter and I shared the short ribs and the 5 spice duck and enjoyed both-and our other diner said that her pork chop was excellent- The desserts were served in small glasses and we are still talking about which one was the best- We were able to linger over dessertSpecial Features:
- Great lunch buffetDiner67Dined on 6/6/2014I was really impressed with the buffet selection and the price wasn't bad either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous foodmeateaterDined on 5/30/2014I went into this experience with high expectations and left with even higher ones....This restaurant satisfies you in a healthy and filling way. everything from the farmfresh fruits that made up the cheese plate to the fresh berriesSpecial Features:
- Good foodsicstringedDined on 5/17/2014The atmosphere is great here! And so close to UPenn's campus. The food wasn't anything amazingly flavorful in my opinion, but its all fresh.Special Features:
- GreatdatenightluvDined on 5/16/2014It was my birthday and I had a great time. Jess was fabulous!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but expensiveFoodie28Dined on 5/11/2014This restaurant was pretty nice, the food tasted deliciously fresh...dessert was alright. I had the grilled shrimp, which was perfectly done and accompanied by a delicious coconut jasmine rice and steamed bok choy. My boyfriend had the bison burger, which he described as fresh and very filling (which says a lot for a 6'5, 290lb guy). The mac and cheese was creamy (not baked) and it wasn't great. Best thing about the restaurant was the quiet, clean environment making it an anomaly in this part of town. Worst part about it was probably the price but it wasn't too unreasonable. Waitress was okay, nothing special (she only came back one time after we'd received the food) but overall it was a positive experience and I'd consider going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- happy mothers dayanthonyVIPDined on 5/11/2014Had reservations at 3:30pm. they called me at 2:30pm asking if we were there for mothers day and if so, interested in mother's day brunch which ended at 3:00pm. the fact that they were willing to serve us brunch past their brunch hours was very courteous of them. My family loved everything that we ordered (edamame three ways, traditional flatbread, salmon flatbread, filet mignon, short rib, bison burger, tuna, key lime pie, raspberry white chocolate, salted caramel) and the service was impeccable. thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Mothers Day brunchtbroDined on 5/11/2014Had a great time and a great brunch. Our server Anissa was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/11/2014We went for Mother's Day brunch. The service for outdoor seating was horrible. It took us two hours to get through the meal. The server never checked on us and then ended up throwing away our leftovers 'by accident'. The only reason I gave two stars is because the manager was very apologetic and ended up covering the bill after serval complaints throughout the meal. The food was fresh but not as tasty as I remember at their glen mills location. They have a lot of work to do at this location.
- Excellant!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/10/2014It was my first time. The menu selection, food and service was excellent. I will be back again soon.Special Features:
- The following 249 reviews are from the Harvest Seasonal Grill & Wine Bar - University City reviews archive.
- My go-to Salad Stop!PhillyDinerDined on 4/27/2014I can't say enough good things about the Strawberry Patch Chicken Salad. It's delicious every time (although I substitute salmon for the chicken). It's the perfect combination of dressing, cheese, strawberries and spinach leaves. And for $14 ($16 w/ salmon instead), you can't beat the quality you get. Highly recommended you stop by for brunch and have a glass of red Sangria w/ it! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2014Great food. lots of vegetarian AND gluten free options. Surprisingly not busy for a Friday night. Noisier downstairs, we were sat upstairs. Nice wine choices, a 2oz flight (u pick 3) is a bargain at $10!!Special Features:
- Not a favorable experienceWillow55Dined on 4/13/2014My family and I dined here in January and had a very favorable experience so we decided to return for a birthday dinner. It was our server's first day on the job and he knew very little. When we arrived, I mentioned our reservation and the guy at desk said they didn't have it. We got seated right away but our drinks took a long time in coming and they weren't even busy, maybe 5 tables taken. When drinks came, they were wrong. Then we got charged for the incorrect drinks on our bill! We inquired about bread for the table since we had it our last visit. Server said "we don't have bread anymore." What kind of place would have no bread? Portions were extremely sparse and overpriced. Coffee was bitter and awful tasting. Would never return.Special Features:
- Good for organicallyHrtmommaDined on 4/11/2014Overall the experience was good... If you are interested in eating all locally grown foods it's superb... A little noisier than we expected but not too overwhelmingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were very disappointedmomgalDined on 3/29/2014We were very disappointed with our experience at Harvest. The main issue was the very poor service we received. After being overly solicitous when we first arrived, the waitress was MIA. My husband wanted another beer to go with his meal and we had to ask the maitre d to go find her. He asked for bread and she brought 3 pieces of pita bread. When we asked if we could have more bread for the table she said we could order it from the menu. ( I understand that may be your policy but aren't you called Harvest). The main dishes were brought before we had a chance to finish our appetizers and then our coats were brought to us when we were still having our dessert. The food was ok, but nothing special. All in all, we will not be returning.