Harvest Moon Cafe
487 First Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestmooncafesonoma.com/
- Phone: 707-933-8160
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Nick Demarest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Harvest Moon Cafe is available for private events to accommodate your next breakfast, lunch, or dinner party. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selection, and flower arrangements for your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available for private parties and events for groups up to 45 people. Our seasonal patio accommodates special events up to 75 people. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selections, and flower arrangements for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Demarest 7079338160
A word from Harvest Moon Cafe
We are a small family run cafe in the heart of Sonoma's square and the beautiful wine country. We change our menu daily to utilize what is available and at it's best. We love to support our local farmers and winemakers. All of our produce, meat, poultry and fish come from farms, fisheries, and ranches guided by principals of sustainability.Continued
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Harvest Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (113)fit for foodies (101)neighborhood gem (81)romantic (58)special occasion (55)good for groups (43)notable wine list (39)hot spot (14)kid-friendly (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Excellent place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Went not knowing anything about the place, was very pleased and happy with our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual dining on Sonoma squarecnalscVIPDined on 10/18/2014Located right off the Sonoma Square, Harvest Moon Cafe is very casual; the back patio is much more pleasant than the main interior. The menu is not extensive, but every dish sampled by our party of four was quite good. The emphasis is on sustainable and farm to table; the salads; beet salad with shrimp and tonnato sauce; lamb shank, rabbit, and ono were all quite good. Interesting wine list, with lots of selections by the glass. Service was helpful and attentive. It was the perfect way to end a day of wine tasting in the Sonoma Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PhenominalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Everytime I go to Harvest Moon, and I have been there A LOT, no matter what I order, the food is phenominal. The menu is constantly changing and everything is always so fresh. The staff is fabulous and are always very accomidating to any of my party's needs. There are some gems on the square, but Harvest Moon is by far my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKarlDined on 10/9/2014A real surprise after having received many good recommendations from friends!Special Features:
- Great venuePvbkearmDined on 10/5/2014You must sit on the patio...inside is cramped. Loved dessert and our waiter.Special Features:
- Good Sonoma dining experienceDinerJohnDined on 10/5/2014This restaurant has a great outdoor seating area. The seating inside is limited and it may be noisy there but outside is wonderful. The menu is creative, with only fresh and local sources are used. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014Ambiance is okay - we had to sit inside so it may be much better outside -food was phenomenalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A geminjcrDined on 10/3/2014My daughter searched online and found Harvest Moon as a place that would satisfy meat eaters and vegetarians alike... not always easy to do. We all really enjoyed our meals and the garden atmosphere with hanging lights overhead. Would definitely return for dinner if (when!) we return to Sonoma. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place on Sonoma SquaremtngirlDined on 10/2/2014Best steak and sauted kale I've ever had! (And I do not like kale!). Husband had meatballs appetizer which was large enough for a meal. Our friends had salads with over the top layers of flavor. The menu changes daily but you will be able to find something you like . The ribeye stays on the menu . AND you won't "break the bank" like other places in Sonoma using same ingredients It's only open for dinner and is small. You need to make reservations.Special Features:
- Fantastic Evening Out24SonomaDined on 10/2/2014We moved to Sonoma just 3 months ago and our having a blast discovering the local restaurants. Harvest Moon is a hidden jewel right across from the square in downtown Sonoma. I had the butter fish which was hands down the best fish I have ever tasted; my dinner date ordered the Mushroom Risotto and thought it one of the best he had ever enjoyed. Service was superb -- attentive, personalized, and welcoming. Best Sonoma dining experience yet! We can't wait to go back and splurge on the out-of-this-world S'more once again. This dessert is a must when dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014It had been a while since we had eaten at the Harvest Moon. It was definitely as good was we had remembered! The ambiance is great, inside or out! The staff were warm and friendly and also very understanding when our friends were stuck in traffic and arrived late. All of our meals were outstanding and the S'more for dessert was to die for. I love the patio after dark with the Italian lights strung across the dining area.Special Features:
- Exceeds Expectationsvisitor2chicagoDined on 9/27/2014When you're a guest at Harvest Moon Cafe, you are treated with care by every person on staff. They are knowledgeable, courteous, and grounded. The food is delivered with urgency and prepared with skilled hands--dressings, garnishes, sauces, flavors are married perfectly. The menu stands apart from all other restaurants in Sonoma, using quality local ingredients to represent a synopsis of familiar cuisines in a unique way. The desserts are irresistible--our choice was late summer peaches and light ricotta fritters served with homemade hazelnut ice cream. This dish was generous and authentic of the simplicity of Italian dolce. Do not skip the latte--you will not find better anywhere!Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Very good all around meal from the tomatoes with burrata to the ravioli in brodo (can you bottle that broth) to the impressive and equally tasty S'mores with homemade marshmallows. Rule of thumb - if someoen bothers to make a homemade marshmallow and pair it with chocolate (not to mention peanut butter) then you should probably order it.Special Features:
- The moon no longer shinesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014Once our favorite restaurant in Sonoma, Harvest Moon appears to have fallen a notch. It remains small and cozy with a great patio and the menu has always been somewhat limited --but the food is not at the same standard and since service was never a high point..... The owners remain involved but are not always present--- and the balance is gone in seasonings of salads and main dishes. Desserts remain seasonal and a highpoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014great menu, sat outside, our group had 5 diverse entrees.....all excellent. service great early in the p.m. would be interested to know more about Wed movies....terrifuc!!! we are localsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food10sonomafood10Dined on 9/19/2014The food is wonderful; really like the outdoor atmosphere but the service needs a lot of work. The servers reminds me of a few college kids who don't have a clue about good service. It might be hard to keep experienced servers when their outdoor dining area is so seasonal. It won't keep me from coming back but it could be so much better! Maybe they should train their servers.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The first time we went to this restaurant was memorable. It was New Years Eve. From the appetizers toDessert, Delicious. We went back again and it was good,not great. The third time was very disappointing for myself and my husband. From salad, dinner and to top it all off Biscotti, that were stale. If it was possible to view the menu ahead of time, I would not have gone. The menu for the day is posted much too late. Unfortunately for me, I do not like Rib Eye Steak which they always have. It's too fatty. RECOMMEND POSTING THE MENU online earlier. Since we live in Sonoma, I would consider returning if I could see the menu first. Otherwise, NO.
- Great food, weird staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014I definitely recommend checking this place out, but be warned the staff is quite diverse and strange. Really fresh and flavorful food combinations.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealDianeyDined on 9/12/2014Great meal on the lovely outdoor patio. Food was wonderful service was greatSpecial Features:
- wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014we hadn't been here in ages and looked forward to trying out the dinner. great outdoor seating under the covered area. the bruschetta with anchovy, avocado, cilantro and luscious tomatoes was a stand out! my date had tasty green salad with hazelnuts and goat cheese. the pheasant was wonderful as was the pork shoulder - outstanding veggies and flavors throughout - great sausage combinations with the main dishes...tasty, tasty, tasty! plum & blackberry crisp with earl grey ice cream made it a perfect night! by the time we were leaving, the place was packed and the outdoor area looked so festive with the lights.Special Features:
- open2diningDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful. Food, service, ambience. Lovely outdoor garden. Two large groups, but caused no problem. One with local winery owners was quiet anyway, and the other a bachelorette party. Could have been loud with the bachelorettes, but the venue somehow handled it beautifully.Special Features:
- Come for the foodJoshuaVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had a lovely dinner at Harvest Moon. Sat outside in the yard (much preferable to the dark interior seating area) and all of our dishes were tasty and beautifully prepared. We'll be back.Special Features:
- dwflymanOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/5/2014We found this amazing restaurant on the Plaza a couple of years ago while on vacation. Since then we have returned many times, and every time the service, food and atmosphere have remained consistently terrific. There seems to be a nice blend of locals and tourists. The back patio is a great space that is very welcoming. The staff is amazing, personable, engaging, very knowledgable of the often changing menu as well as the wine menu. We love this place and will keep coming back. Ill never forget the first course, the first meal we had there. It was, of all things, fava beans with mint sauce and orange slices. DIVINE!Special Features:
- Good not greatcarmenreyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our group dinner here - lovely sitting outside in the back garden. Food was good, did not knock my socks off but it was solid. Service was just fair - not as professional as expected based on price point; apps came out for all but one and then the missing salad took 20 min to arrive. This may have been due to a huge (20+ person) party going on, so I recognize that. Overall, try this place but if you are only there for 1 or 2 nights, this may not make my personal list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014After reading good reviews we dined here on a 3 night stay in Sonoma. The squash soup was good, after that it was terrible. My wife had a rib eye which she did not enjoy, if you start with poor quality steak you end up with a poor meal. My lamb chops were terrible. Wait staff had all disappeared to kitchen to serve a huge party. By the time someone came back my wife had finished her meal and I had lost interest in changing my raw lamb and eating alone as well.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food! Lovely atmosphere! Wednesday night movie was very cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous farm to table diningGailCDined on 8/24/2014My niece and I ate here after a nice afternoon in Sonoma tasting wine. It was referred to us by a local as a restaurant with farm to table fresh food. He was absolutely right, we had stuffed rigatoni and rabbit, with a bread salad appetizer. All the food was superbly prepared and delicious. Don't miss this gem, and choose the patio for seating you won't regret it!Special Features:
- Made Birthday SpecialToddDined on 8/23/2014We took a friend for her birthday, and we really had a great time and a great meal. The food is generally very good there, and the back patio makes outdoor dining the way it should be. Enclosed, so the breezes are minimized, but just enough to keep it from getting too hot.Special Features:
- Nothing Pithy to say, but goodsmoonDined on 8/22/2014One of the greatest salads I've ever had--perhaps the greatest. It was a tomato & bread salad, and it was thing of beauty. The rest of our food was good, definitely a quality restaurant--but the salad was truly notable...Special Features:
- Great downtown location-big flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/21/2014Farm to table approach so menu changes often. While we were there we had a fantastic rigatoni with bolognese sauce and a lamb dish. Both were absolutely fantastic and full of flavor. Wine list consists of local vineyards that don't mass produce, so many labels unknown, but fabulous. Located right on the square with a beautiful back patio that is more than double the size of the inside. Perfect setting with great food.Special Features:
- Harvest MoonEsticDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant is located in Sonoma Square and surrounded by lots of shops and other restaurants. The outside space was beautiful and the food delicious. We ordered the mixed lettuce salad with heirloom tomatoes goat cheese to start. For main entree we had venison with corn and pepper hash, and rib eye steak with blue cheese butter and mashed potatoes. The star of the show was definitely the corn hash, we asked for the ingredients to replicate at home. So delicious!! The service had a great pace and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food solid, service a big missOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/15/2014Have been to harvest moon 4 times now. Twice, this time included, service was mediocre to poor. Once it was spectacular. With food this good, service that misses the mark becomes very evident and this time almost ruined the evening. To be honest, the only statements uttered by our server were "what can I bring you" (for dinner) and "there is some seapage in your cork (wine we brought)". Zero attempts to liven our experience with a recommendation on drinks, food or dessert, and not one simple check in to see if we enjoyed any of our apps, entrees, Albariño we ordered, or even desserts. For a restaurant family with 45 years of combined experience it had to be one or the largest spans of great food to just plain uninterested service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, slow, casualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Sat in outdoor seating area. Very casual, like someone's backyard. The food was very good, but service slow. In fact, we waited so long for our entree that the server mistakenly brought us a dessert menu before our food arrived.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We ate outside in the courtyard for a beautiful evening dinner while visiting Sonoma and the food was delicious. We highly recommend, and save room for desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but service wAsnt bestAustinVIPDined on 8/7/2014They ran out of a dish and offered a free dessert to make up for it. They didn't offer the free dessert when it was all said and done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPSSDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful place for dinner. Make sure to eat out on the patio if a table is open.Special Features:
- Amazing food!FoodluverDined on 8/1/2014Great small menu that changes daily I believe. We went to celebrate a birthday and was very surprised at how good the food quality was. She had the mahi mahi and couldn't stop smiling with every bite. I had the ribeye which was seasoned perfectly. The scalloped potatoes were the best I've ever had. Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysPeonyDined on 7/31/2014Food and service were excellent as usual on our most recent visit to Harvest Moon. I especially love the unique and delicious salads. My only complaint is that outdoor tables cannot be specifically reserved but rather are given on a first come basis -- even as in my case, I reserved months in advance for a weekday night. We got an outdoor table but only after waiting for 15 minutes. Because of this I'll hesitate next time when reserving for a special occasion (as the last visit was).Special Features:
- Perfect!JJP65Dined on 7/31/2014Appetizers, entrees, and dessert were delicious. The outdoor dining was a wonderful surprise! Well managed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest Moon never disappoints!SonomawantotobeDined on 7/28/2014Just celebrated my mom's birthday there. Food, service and obiance, always perfect. (This was my 5th visit) I love that their menu changes daily so that you get the freshest quality food. Menu is very creative. Such a hidden find. Even though it's on the plaza, it's easy to pass on the street. Patio is lovely. So romantic on a warm Sonoma night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.