Harvest Moon Cafe
487 First Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestmooncafesonoma.com/
- Phone: (707) 933-8160
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Nick Demarest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Harvest Moon Cafe is available for private events to accommodate your next breakfast, lunch, or dinner party. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selection, and flower arrangements for your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available for private parties and events for groups up to 45 people. Our seasonal patio accommodates special events up to 75 people. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selections, and flower arrangements for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Demarest 7079338160
A word from Harvest Moon Cafe
We are a small family run cafe in the heart of Sonoma's square and the beautiful wine country. We change our menu daily to utilize what is available and at it's best. We love to support our local farmers and winemakers. All of our produce, meat, poultry and fish come from farms, fisheries, and ranches guided by principals of sustainability.Continued
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Harvest Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (101)fit for foodies (100)neighborhood gem (73)special occasion (52)romantic (50)good for groups (41)notable wine list (34)hot spot (14)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- The food is always terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2014The pork shoulder I had was flavorful and melt-in-your-mouth good! Any my husband's lamb was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Battle Royale for Sonoma, Part XXIIIRobobobVIPDined on 11/9/2014Part XXIII? Who knows, there have been so many. Many good restaurants inhabit Sonoma Centrale; one can get a very nice meal at Girl & the Fig; solid meals at Swiss Restaurant and Della Santina and Ledson Hotel (this last not to be underestimated). Essentially, however, four restaurants vie for Best of Sonoma Plaza (and its immediate environs): Cafe La Haye, La Salette, El Dorado Kitchen & Harvest Moon. Each has its own charms, each can prevail in one's plans on any given evening, weather & mood. Harvest Moon is currently our favorite. This is the four meal in a row there which has compelled us to bestow upon it the title Best. Are the others out of the game? Never. Research continues anon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- XxxxVIPDined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed a relaxing dinner after a day in Sonoma. The patio area was very nice and had heaters on as it was a little billy outside. We had delicious appetizers; tuna crudo, broccoli salad. Entrees were good; paella had lots of fresh fish, ravioli and lamb shoulder were excellent. Very natural and organic vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good value in the wine countryLocaldinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014Its definitely a casual local type of place rather than a place you HAVE to go to like French Laundry etc. Home made pasta that was wonderful and the meats were good but nothing that had a Wow factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expected moreluckymacDined on 11/7/2014Menu was very limited and not filled with many choices. Served tepid and slowly. Very limited seating. Would never go back--does not measure up to a top restaurant in any area.Special Features:
- Great findCotravelerDined on 11/7/2014This is a small restaurant on the square that's not easy to get in to, but well worth it if you do. The menu is small, but everything my friend and I ate was wonderful. Very fresh with lots of thought put into the pairings. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed my mindCornyDined on 11/7/2014Harvest moon used to be my favorite restaurant. Not anymore, food is ok, service horribly slow and not much for a vegetarian. I had the mushroom ravioli and it was just horrible, salad was mediocre could've made it myself. My husband did love his steak but we won't be coming back for a long time. DissatisfiedSpecial Features:
- mix2getherDined on 11/5/2014Will definitely eat here during my next visit to Sonoma. Loved the addition of grapefruit to the beet salad and the mushroom risotto was a highlight. Our waiter was very friendly and informative re menu items. The menu changes weekly so look forward to tasting the chef's creations next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sonoma choiceSFFoodieVIPDined on 11/3/2014Service and place are warm and friendly. Food is fresh and tasty, with interesting choices and daily menus. Short but interesting wine list, found a new one I loved. Heated outdoor seating very nice on a cool autumn evening. A great choice in the town of Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service.DiscriminatingDinerDined on 11/1/2014Great food . . . I had a fall season, root vegetable curry that was outstanding. Wonderful heated patio allowed us to dine outdoors in early November . . . a real treat for Chicagoans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will come againIndigoSouleDined on 11/1/2014We ate outside on the patio; thankfully I was under a heat lamp since it was a crisp autumn evening. I had the duck lasagna, delicious, but a bit rich for my taste. The star of the dinner was my husband's rib-eye . . . fantastic, perfectly cooked. Wine list was varied and affordable by the glass. Service was attentive though it felt like our dinners came out slowly. Another table nearby looked a little impatient as they waited for their dinners, maybe there was a large party? But definitely we will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerSallyDined on 10/27/2014I always take houseguest to Harvest Moon because the food is always fabulous. The menu changes daily but the quality is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place!TomjDined on 10/19/2014Went not knowing anything about the place, was very pleased and happy with our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite FoodFoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Out of all the top notch restaurants in wine country (and there are so many) this is our very favorite. The décor is low key, but the food definitely is not. Very talented chef. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Almost every dish knocks it right out of the park.Special Features:
- Casual dining on Sonoma squarecnalscVIPDined on 10/18/2014Located right off the Sonoma Square, Harvest Moon Cafe is very casual; the back patio is much more pleasant than the main interior. The menu is not extensive, but every dish sampled by our party of four was quite good. The emphasis is on sustainable and farm to table; the salads; beet salad with shrimp and tonnato sauce; lamb shank, rabbit, and ono were all quite good. Interesting wine list, with lots of selections by the glass. Service was helpful and attentive. It was the perfect way to end a day of wine tasting in the Sonoma Valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always PhenominalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Everytime I go to Harvest Moon, and I have been there A LOT, no matter what I order, the food is phenominal. The menu is constantly changing and everything is always so fresh. The staff is fabulous and are always very accomidating to any of my party's needs. There are some gems on the square, but Harvest Moon is by far my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKarlDined on 10/9/2014A real surprise after having received many good recommendations from friends!Special Features:
- Great venuePvbkearmDined on 10/5/2014You must sit on the patio...inside is cramped. Loved dessert and our waiter.Special Features:
- Good Sonoma dining experienceDinerJohnDined on 10/5/2014This restaurant has a great outdoor seating area. The seating inside is limited and it may be noisy there but outside is wonderful. The menu is creative, with only fresh and local sources are used. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014Ambiance is okay - we had to sit inside so it may be much better outside -food was phenomenalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A geminjcrDined on 10/3/2014My daughter searched online and found Harvest Moon as a place that would satisfy meat eaters and vegetarians alike... not always easy to do. We all really enjoyed our meals and the garden atmosphere with hanging lights overhead. Would definitely return for dinner if (when!) we return to Sonoma. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place on Sonoma SquaremtngirlDined on 10/2/2014Best steak and sauted kale I've ever had! (And I do not like kale!). Husband had meatballs appetizer which was large enough for a meal. Our friends had salads with over the top layers of flavor. The menu changes daily but you will be able to find something you like . The ribeye stays on the menu . AND you won't "break the bank" like other places in Sonoma using same ingredients It's only open for dinner and is small. You need to make reservations.Special Features:
- Fantastic Evening Out24SonomaDined on 10/2/2014We moved to Sonoma just 3 months ago and our having a blast discovering the local restaurants. Harvest Moon is a hidden jewel right across from the square in downtown Sonoma. I had the butter fish which was hands down the best fish I have ever tasted; my dinner date ordered the Mushroom Risotto and thought it one of the best he had ever enjoyed. Service was superb -- attentive, personalized, and welcoming. Best Sonoma dining experience yet! We can't wait to go back and splurge on the out-of-this-world S'more once again. This dessert is a must when dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014It had been a while since we had eaten at the Harvest Moon. It was definitely as good was we had remembered! The ambiance is great, inside or out! The staff were warm and friendly and also very understanding when our friends were stuck in traffic and arrived late. All of our meals were outstanding and the S'more for dessert was to die for. I love the patio after dark with the Italian lights strung across the dining area.Special Features:
- Exceeds Expectationsvisitor2chicagoDined on 9/27/2014When you're a guest at Harvest Moon Cafe, you are treated with care by every person on staff. They are knowledgeable, courteous, and grounded. The food is delivered with urgency and prepared with skilled hands--dressings, garnishes, sauces, flavors are married perfectly. The menu stands apart from all other restaurants in Sonoma, using quality local ingredients to represent a synopsis of familiar cuisines in a unique way. The desserts are irresistible--our choice was late summer peaches and light ricotta fritters served with homemade hazelnut ice cream. This dish was generous and authentic of the simplicity of Italian dolce. Do not skip the latte--you will not find better anywhere!Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Very good all around meal from the tomatoes with burrata to the ravioli in brodo (can you bottle that broth) to the impressive and equally tasty S'mores with homemade marshmallows. Rule of thumb - if someoen bothers to make a homemade marshmallow and pair it with chocolate (not to mention peanut butter) then you should probably order it.Special Features:
- The moon no longer shinesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/26/2014Once our favorite restaurant in Sonoma, Harvest Moon appears to have fallen a notch. It remains small and cozy with a great patio and the menu has always been somewhat limited --but the food is not at the same standard and since service was never a high point..... The owners remain involved but are not always present--- and the balance is gone in seasonings of salads and main dishes. Desserts remain seasonal and a highpoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014great menu, sat outside, our group had 5 diverse entrees.....all excellent. service great early in the p.m. would be interested to know more about Wed movies....terrifuc!!! we are localsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food10sonomafood10Dined on 9/19/2014The food is wonderful; really like the outdoor atmosphere but the service needs a lot of work. The servers reminds me of a few college kids who don't have a clue about good service. It might be hard to keep experienced servers when their outdoor dining area is so seasonal. It won't keep me from coming back but it could be so much better! Maybe they should train their servers.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The first time we went to this restaurant was memorable. It was New Years Eve. From the appetizers toDessert, Delicious. We went back again and it was good,not great. The third time was very disappointing for myself and my husband. From salad, dinner and to top it all off Biscotti, that were stale. If it was possible to view the menu ahead of time, I would not have gone. The menu for the day is posted much too late. Unfortunately for me, I do not like Rib Eye Steak which they always have. It's too fatty. RECOMMEND POSTING THE MENU online earlier. Since we live in Sonoma, I would consider returning if I could see the menu first. Otherwise, NO.
- Great food, weird staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2014I definitely recommend checking this place out, but be warned the staff is quite diverse and strange. Really fresh and flavorful food combinations.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealDianeyDined on 9/12/2014Great meal on the lovely outdoor patio. Food was wonderful service was greatSpecial Features:
- wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014we hadn't been here in ages and looked forward to trying out the dinner. great outdoor seating under the covered area. the bruschetta with anchovy, avocado, cilantro and luscious tomatoes was a stand out! my date had tasty green salad with hazelnuts and goat cheese. the pheasant was wonderful as was the pork shoulder - outstanding veggies and flavors throughout - great sausage combinations with the main dishes...tasty, tasty, tasty! plum & blackberry crisp with earl grey ice cream made it a perfect night! by the time we were leaving, the place was packed and the outdoor area looked so festive with the lights.Special Features:
- open2diningDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful. Food, service, ambience. Lovely outdoor garden. Two large groups, but caused no problem. One with local winery owners was quiet anyway, and the other a bachelorette party. Could have been loud with the bachelorettes, but the venue somehow handled it beautifully.Special Features:
- Come for the foodJoshuaVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had a lovely dinner at Harvest Moon. Sat outside in the yard (much preferable to the dark interior seating area) and all of our dishes were tasty and beautifully prepared. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Harvest Moon Indeed!FoodieVIPDined on 9/7/2014Had not been to Sonoma in many years so selecting restaurants was a challenge and fun at the same time. Our first night had us at Harvest Moon Cafe. The interior did not speak volumes but the food did. Our table allowed us to watch the chefs in action. The food was terrific as was the service and to top off a lovely evening, there was a truly beautiful harvest moon in the sky on our way out. We will be back.Special Features:
- dwflymanOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/5/2014We found this amazing restaurant on the Plaza a couple of years ago while on vacation. Since then we have returned many times, and every time the service, food and atmosphere have remained consistently terrific. There seems to be a nice blend of locals and tourists. The back patio is a great space that is very welcoming. The staff is amazing, personable, engaging, very knowledgable of the often changing menu as well as the wine menu. We love this place and will keep coming back. Ill never forget the first course, the first meal we had there. It was, of all things, fava beans with mint sauce and orange slices. DIVINE!Special Features:
- Good not greatcarmenreyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our group dinner here - lovely sitting outside in the back garden. Food was good, did not knock my socks off but it was solid. Service was just fair - not as professional as expected based on price point; apps came out for all but one and then the missing salad took 20 min to arrive. This may have been due to a huge (20+ person) party going on, so I recognize that. Overall, try this place but if you are only there for 1 or 2 nights, this may not make my personal list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014After reading good reviews we dined here on a 3 night stay in Sonoma. The squash soup was good, after that it was terrible. My wife had a rib eye which she did not enjoy, if you start with poor quality steak you end up with a poor meal. My lamb chops were terrible. Wait staff had all disappeared to kitchen to serve a huge party. By the time someone came back my wife had finished her meal and I had lost interest in changing my raw lamb and eating alone as well.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food! Lovely atmosphere! Wednesday night movie was very cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.