Harvest Moon Cafe
487 First Street West
Sonoma, CA 95476Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Moon Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://harvestmooncafesonoma.com/
- Phone: 707-933-8160
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Nick Demarest
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: Harvest Moon Cafe is available for private events to accommodate your next breakfast, lunch, or dinner party. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selection, and flower arrangements for your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room is available for private parties and events for groups up to 45 people. Our seasonal patio accommodates special events up to 75 people. We create custom seasonal menus, wine selections, and flower arrangements for your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Demarest 7079338160
A word from Harvest Moon Cafe
We are a small family run cafe in the heart of Sonoma's square and the beautiful wine country. We change our menu daily to utilize what is available and at it's best. We love to support our local farmers and winemakers. All of our produce, meat, poultry and fish come from farms, fisheries, and ranches guided by principals of sustainability.Continued
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
If you do not see what you are looking for or need a table for 8 or more give us a call at 707-933-8160.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Moon Cafe - Best Restaurants in Sonoma ›
Harvest Moon Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (114)fit for foodies (106)neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (59)romantic (53)notable wine list (45)good for groups (34)hot spot (14)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The first time we went to this restaurant was memorable. It was New Years Eve. From the appetizers toDessert, Delicious. We went back again and it was good,not great. The third time was very disappointing for myself and my husband. From salad, dinner and to top it all off Biscotti, that were stale. If it was possible to view the menu ahead of time, I would not have gone. The menu for the day is posted much too late. Unfortunately for me, I do not like Rib Eye Steak which they always have. It's too fatty. RECOMMEND POSTING THE MENU online earlier. Since we live in Sonoma, I would consider returning if I could see the menu first. Otherwise, NO.
- Wonderful mealDianeyDined on 9/12/2014Great meal on the lovely outdoor patio. Food was wonderful service was greatSpecial Features:
- wonderful food!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/12/2014we hadn't been here in ages and looked forward to trying out the dinner. great outdoor seating under the covered area. the bruschetta with anchovy, avocado, cilantro and luscious tomatoes was a stand out! my date had tasty green salad with hazelnuts and goat cheese. the pheasant was wonderful as was the pork shoulder - outstanding veggies and flavors throughout - great sausage combinations with the main dishes...tasty, tasty, tasty! plum & blackberry crisp with earl grey ice cream made it a perfect night! by the time we were leaving, the place was packed and the outdoor area looked so festive with the lights.Special Features:
- open2diningDined on 9/11/2014Wonderful. Food, service, ambience. Lovely outdoor garden. Two large groups, but caused no problem. One with local winery owners was quiet anyway, and the other a bachelorette party. Could have been loud with the bachelorettes, but the venue somehow handled it beautifully.Special Features:
- Come for the foodJoshuaVIPDined on 9/11/2014We had a lovely dinner at Harvest Moon. Sat outside in the yard (much preferable to the dark interior seating area) and all of our dishes were tasty and beautifully prepared. We'll be back.Special Features:
- dwflymanOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/5/2014We found this amazing restaurant on the Plaza a couple of years ago while on vacation. Since then we have returned many times, and every time the service, food and atmosphere have remained consistently terrific. There seems to be a nice blend of locals and tourists. The back patio is a great space that is very welcoming. The staff is amazing, personable, engaging, very knowledgable of the often changing menu as well as the wine menu. We love this place and will keep coming back. Ill never forget the first course, the first meal we had there. It was, of all things, fava beans with mint sauce and orange slices. DIVINE!Special Features:
- Good not greatcarmenreyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed our group dinner here - lovely sitting outside in the back garden. Food was good, did not knock my socks off but it was solid. Service was just fair - not as professional as expected based on price point; apps came out for all but one and then the missing salad took 20 min to arrive. This may have been due to a huge (20+ person) party going on, so I recognize that. Overall, try this place but if you are only there for 1 or 2 nights, this may not make my personal list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/29/2014After reading good reviews we dined here on a 3 night stay in Sonoma. The squash soup was good, after that it was terrible. My wife had a rib eye which she did not enjoy, if you start with poor quality steak you end up with a poor meal. My lamb chops were terrible. Wait staff had all disappeared to kitchen to serve a huge party. By the time someone came back my wife had finished her meal and I had lost interest in changing my raw lamb and eating alone as well.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Excellent food! Lovely atmosphere! Wednesday night movie was very cool!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous farm to table diningGailCDined on 8/24/2014My niece and I ate here after a nice afternoon in Sonoma tasting wine. It was referred to us by a local as a restaurant with farm to table fresh food. He was absolutely right, we had stuffed rigatoni and rabbit, with a bread salad appetizer. All the food was superbly prepared and delicious. Don't miss this gem, and choose the patio for seating you won't regret it!Special Features:
- Made Birthday SpecialToddDined on 8/23/2014We took a friend for her birthday, and we really had a great time and a great meal. The food is generally very good there, and the back patio makes outdoor dining the way it should be. Enclosed, so the breezes are minimized, but just enough to keep it from getting too hot.Special Features:
- Nothing Pithy to say, but goodsmoonDined on 8/22/2014One of the greatest salads I've ever had--perhaps the greatest. It was a tomato & bread salad, and it was thing of beauty. The rest of our food was good, definitely a quality restaurant--but the salad was truly notable...Special Features:
- Great downtown location-big flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/21/2014Farm to table approach so menu changes often. While we were there we had a fantastic rigatoni with bolognese sauce and a lamb dish. Both were absolutely fantastic and full of flavor. Wine list consists of local vineyards that don't mass produce, so many labels unknown, but fabulous. Located right on the square with a beautiful back patio that is more than double the size of the inside. Perfect setting with great food.Special Features:
- Harvest MoonEsticDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant is located in Sonoma Square and surrounded by lots of shops and other restaurants. The outside space was beautiful and the food delicious. We ordered the mixed lettuce salad with heirloom tomatoes goat cheese to start. For main entree we had venison with corn and pepper hash, and rib eye steak with blue cheese butter and mashed potatoes. The star of the show was definitely the corn hash, we asked for the ingredients to replicate at home. So delicious!! The service had a great pace and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food solid, service a big missOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/15/2014Have been to harvest moon 4 times now. Twice, this time included, service was mediocre to poor. Once it was spectacular. With food this good, service that misses the mark becomes very evident and this time almost ruined the evening. To be honest, the only statements uttered by our server were "what can I bring you" (for dinner) and "there is some seapage in your cork (wine we brought)". Zero attempts to liven our experience with a recommendation on drinks, food or dessert, and not one simple check in to see if we enjoyed any of our apps, entrees, Albariño we ordered, or even desserts. For a restaurant family with 45 years of combined experience it had to be one or the largest spans of great food to just plain uninterested service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, slow, casualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014Sat in outdoor seating area. Very casual, like someone's backyard. The food was very good, but service slow. In fact, we waited so long for our entree that the server mistakenly brought us a dessert menu before our food arrived.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We ate outside in the courtyard for a beautiful evening dinner while visiting Sonoma and the food was delicious. We highly recommend, and save room for desert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but service wAsnt bestAustinVIPDined on 8/7/2014They ran out of a dish and offered a free dessert to make up for it. They didn't offer the free dessert when it was all said and done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPSSDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful place for dinner. Make sure to eat out on the patio if a table is open.Special Features:
- Amazing food!FoodluverDined on 8/1/2014Great small menu that changes daily I believe. We went to celebrate a birthday and was very surprised at how good the food quality was. She had the mahi mahi and couldn't stop smiling with every bite. I had the ribeye which was seasoned perfectly. The scalloped potatoes were the best I've ever had. Overall great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysPeonyDined on 7/31/2014Food and service were excellent as usual on our most recent visit to Harvest Moon. I especially love the unique and delicious salads. My only complaint is that outdoor tables cannot be specifically reserved but rather are given on a first come basis -- even as in my case, I reserved months in advance for a weekday night. We got an outdoor table but only after waiting for 15 minutes. Because of this I'll hesitate next time when reserving for a special occasion (as the last visit was).Special Features:
- Perfect!JJP65Dined on 7/31/2014Appetizers, entrees, and dessert were delicious. The outdoor dining was a wonderful surprise! Well managed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest Moon never disappoints!SonomawantotobeDined on 7/28/2014Just celebrated my mom's birthday there. Food, service and obiance, always perfect. (This was my 5th visit) I love that their menu changes daily so that you get the freshest quality food. Menu is very creative. Such a hidden find. Even though it's on the plaza, it's easy to pass on the street. Patio is lovely. So romantic on a warm Sonoma night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodAnnieTDined on 7/27/2014I selected this restaurant based on reviews which sang praises of the food, wine & location and my high expectations were met. My husband and I started with glasses of Sonoma white wines with slices of fresh baked bread. The large number of European wines on the list given the location in California wine country was strange, though. Our salads - romaine and pickled beet salad for me, fresh greens, pecans and peach salad for him - were perfectly dressed. I had the rib-eye entree and must say it was one of the most flavorful rib-eyes I have ever eaten and was perfectly cooked. My husband's penne with rock shrimp also hit the mark. The blueberry trifle dessert was good but not memorable. Would seek it out if in Sonoma again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Outdoor EatingGregDDined on 7/25/2014Walking in to Harvest Moon I wondered what I got myself into, but once we walked through the restaurant and were seated in the outdoor courtyard, I breathed a sigh of relief. The dinner special the night we dined was squab and it was the most well-prepared little bird I've ever had. All the meals were great, and served at a leisurely pace by an attentive waitstaff. Don't skip dessert.Special Features:
- Perfect evening For twoFinallyVIPDined on 7/25/2014This is just a great place for dinner. Fresh veggies excellent prepared dinner at excellent price. Best ribeye in Sonoma at reasonable price. It's just a nice place to have a conversation over wine and a very tasty dinner.Special Features:
- Loved it!Heatherdj22Dined on 7/24/2014Great dining experience in every way. Shrimp and grits, I was in heaven! You won't be disappointed here. There is something for everyone on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Three Restaurants in Sonoma1NewManDined on 7/23/2014Living in Sonoma, I sense there are three top restaurants, and this is one. Why? The chef set's solid pace, day after day, the menu changes. He has salads especially that are redundant, but the entrée is always changing. Did I mention there is the same consistent high taste quality. Often, the dishes are seasoned so perfectly you don't need the salt and peper. The wine menu is solid, too, hand picked by knowledgable chef or staff who is something of a wine professional. Did I mention the table servers are friendly, it's true enough. Finally, it's just idiosyncratic enough to have character. As far as I can tell the kitchen could be hell, but the front of the house makes it invisible.Special Features:
- Moon GlowGasmanDined on 7/21/2014Our third visit to Harvest Moon, a must eatery while in the wine country. Everything is fresh from local markets, the preparation is superb, and the wait staff is exceptional. Patio dining is our favorite, but inside dining is warm and cozy. A great wine selection is available or bring your own for a corkage fee. Enjoy this gem in Sonoma!!Special Features:
- M&MmandmDined on 7/21/2014We eat at Harvest Moon quite often and are never disappointed. This evening I was particularly impressed with the panzanella (likely not spelled correctly). Our guest from out of town said that his lamb was one of the best meals he ever had, and he travels world wide. Be sure and try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2014We really enjoyed this restaurant. Great food. Great wine. Only drawback is the building ventilation is less than desirable. It was really warm in the building. Other than that, we loved the experience and would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest Moon misses the marktominvineyardDined on 7/20/2014The ambience is good with attentive service. The food however is not well prepared and over-priced. The yellowtail tuna was dry with little flavor and a lamb dish tasked like a cheap steak.
- VivelleDined on 7/16/2014We sat in the outdoor patio and truly enjoyed our experience. Very casual atmosphere with a great menu selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightjagleDined on 7/16/2014A client in Sonoma suggested the Harvest Moon Cafe for a dinner meeting. The food was beautifully prepared, and just as tasteful. Service was just right. Pleasant, attentive, but not fawning. HIGHLY recommended.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Fantastic restaurant: delicious food, excellent and very kind service and a romantik and cozy, down-to-earth ambience! We are from Denmark and enjoyed having dinner among local people and no tourists (at least very few)! A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest Moon CafesflaDined on 7/13/2014We enjoyed this restaurant. The food was good the environment was good. Overall it was nice.
- Great local gemareatsVIPDined on 7/13/2014This place got recommended to us by a local winery. I swear you'd miss it when walking the Sonoma square if you weren't looking for it. It almost looked closed. But packed inside! Obviously a local hotspot. Super fresh, delicious food, seasonal and local menu, good service. We didn't sit back there, but the outdoor space in back seems like the place to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/13/2014We loved eating outside. Really nice setting with GREAT food.Special Features:
- dependable and ever-changingLocalDined on 7/13/2014Beautiful crusted Ono dish and duck ravioli to die for, herbs used liberally and generous portions. Dined here many times, always some new menu items, fresh ingredients, tastefully prepared and served. Limited but adequate wine list, reasonable prices. Seating inside is very limited and close, not conducive to private conversations but comfortable. Our local favorite.Special Features:
- Great Food, Good WineWineguyDined on 7/12/2014This is an exceptional place on the Square in Sonoma. I would rate it number one in the Sonoma area. The menu is short, but has something for everyone and changes daily. The Food is imaginative and well presented. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. Highly recommended.Special Features: