Harvest Bistro & Bar (Closter, NJ)
252 Schraalenbergh Rd
Closter, NJ 07624Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Harvest Bistro & Bar (Closter, NJ)
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.harvestbistro.com/
- Phone: 2017509966
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Provencal, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: We feature 2 wide Screen TV's.
Live Music on Thursday and Friday Nights.
A word from Harvest Bistro & Bar (Closter, NJ)
A warm and elegant setting features traditional French Bistro fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Harvest Bistro & Bar (Closter, NJ) - Best Restaurants in Closter ›
Harvest Bistro & Bar (Closter, NJ) reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (34)neighborhood gem (34)fit for foodies (26)romantic (26)special occasion (21)good for groups (15)notable wine list (14)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great BrunchlovelocalDined on 10/19/2014Lovely for a Sunday brunch! Fondue was delicious. The Bourbon Bread Pudding was amazing. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CozyRegalLadyDined on 10/19/2014This place just said "welcome to autumn". Relaxing, good food, terrific service. Absolutely will be going back.Special Features:
- Satisfactory At BestUESiderVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always enjoyed the ambiance at Harvest. Fireplace is a central part of room and was not lit on Friday night. Food was just okay. Had the rib eye special. The quality of meat was not great quality, especially for price charged. Others had scallop dish, which was good. Service was not great. Our waiter was nowhere to be found, other than when he took our original order. At 9:00, a band starting playing in the bar. This would be great for the bar, but did not fit the quiet nature of the main dining room, in which the music was extremely loud. I was disappointed in this evening's experience. Would not recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good atmosphere and foodVdamicoDined on 10/10/2014The restaurant is very cozy and food went beyond our expectations. Slightly high on the pricing scale for drinks and apps but overall worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local ComfortNJmomDined on 9/26/2014We can always find a good meal, friendly host and warm ambience at Harvest. The appetizers are fun, the entrees are varied and delicious, the drinks are inspired. Along with deck dining and a fire in the fireplace it's a great place to share with family & friends.Special Features:
- 10 visits and countinglavflyVIPDined on 9/18/2014I have been to Harvest at least 10 times over the past 2 years, and it has never disappointed. My dining companions are always impressed and I think that I have made them repeat customers as well. Lunch and dinner specials can't be beat, but there is a lot more to interest every taste. And whether or not it is in the dining room, at the bar, or outside on the patio with the fire pit, all venues provide great ambiance.Special Features:
- Something Different.RayboDined on 9/12/2014Went here the other night looking for something different. Food was good with attentive service. A little pricey. Good wine list with the usual 200+% mark-up but some are more reasonably priced. We've dined here around 5 times. Menu changes seasonally. Don't expect classic presentation. That's not necessarily bad.Special Features:
- Rustically DeliciouschanimalDined on 9/5/2014My wife loves the term rustic... and I'm still probably confused on what it actually means. However, i won't argue that this place would be labeled as rustic. Atmosphere feels great, and definitely want to try the outdoor seating in late fall with the fire pit. The bbq short ribs in JD was delicious [The JD makes it sweeter of course] and my whole family was raving about the grilled octopus appetizer Definitely worth a second lookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kitchen succeeds despite staff....StefanoDined on 8/23/2014Outstanding kitchen with thoughtful, well-prepared fresh food. Have been several times and would certainly return. I just wish they would train and retain some talent in the front of the house. The waiters are nice but inexperienced and lack polish.Special Features:
- DisappointingHarleyDined on 8/16/2014Food was good. Servers are not trained and annoying. Our waiter asked us to order too fast. Servers did not know who ordered which dishes. Waiter did not know price of specials. This is an expensive restaurant and very pretty. However, the experience was ruined by untrained staff. I will not go back.Special Features:
- AwesomeBaroo142Dined on 8/2/2014Always a great meal and great service. the food and service are..Always consistent with an attention to culinary detailSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectMikeTsVIPDined on 7/19/2014Maybe it was the weather? Easting outside at Harvest was the highlights of the week! No, it was more than the weather. The seared whole red snapper was amazing - incredible presentation, and delicious. Great wine suggestions and service from Russell, and a great atmosphere. The cappuccino came out really fast! Great all around - a "can't miss" spot.Special Features:
- A lovely evening every timeKyBeDined on 7/19/2014The food is consistently delicious and thoughtfully prepared. Service is attentive and friendly, never rushed. Came with friends and had a beautiful evening. Leave room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZosterVIPDined on 7/17/2014It is a beautiful restaurant. The wait staff is attentive without being intrusive A nice special occasion placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectlovelyDined on 6/29/2014Perfect food, perfect service, interesting salads and delight entries, convenient parking. It was worth to drive 16 miles to find attention and skill. Unforgettable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliablenevercooksontheweekendsVIPDined on 6/28/2014We frequent Harvest and always have a great meal in a great atmosphere. The owners Russ and John always greet you and make sure you're enjoying yourself. The staff is friendly, the service is very good and the bartenders make amazing drinks. They have a great wine list that is not overpriced compared to other restaurants in the area. Their specials are always very good and when you're in the mood for a great burger in the bar, you can't go wrong with theirs. My husband loves the oysters, mussels and the red snapper. The price is very reasonable for the quality meal and in comparison to other similar restaurants. In the winter the indoor fireplace makes the ambiance great, in the spring and fall the outdoor fire does the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 433 reviews are from the Harvest Bistro & Bar (Closter, NJ) reviews archive.
- 10th Anniversary DinnerYummyMamaDined on 6/24/2014In the notes on our OpenTable reservation I included that we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary in the hopes that we would be tucked away in a more secluded corner. While that didn't happen, the staff were very sweet and made other accommodations, which we didn't expect. I follow a gluten-free diet, and found their gluten-free menu to be diverse and the staff knowledgeable. I definitely felt safe with my choices. The flavor of the food was fantastic (I stuck to the seafood and my husband enjoyed surf and turf), and our waiter provided taste sizes of Scotch and desert wines before I committed to my order. I appreciated this very much since it takes the risk out of trying new things. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Always OutstandingFoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014We love Harvest and it never fails us. The food is always good as is the service!Special Features:
- Nice restaurantBobgataDined on 6/12/2014We had scallops and salmon and both were great, but they come with nothing else. Sides were extra and only vegetables. We split a salad and dessert. We were comfortable, but I did have a snack when I got home. The restaurant is very warm and friendly. We will go back for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great foodNyackFoodieDined on 6/8/2014But didn't love eating out doors. We were there too early for dinner. there was this cottony stuff flying through the air. NOT appealing with food. And there was a definite lack of ambience out there on the deck. In the future I will sit inside. And, next time I will try their signature dish Deep Fried Snapper. Loved Evan our server. Really into it, he was.Special Features:
- Great food and thenkbsdDined on 6/4/2014Why do wait staff put dirty menus on your silverware and bread and butter plate? Whatever happened to handing a menu to a customer? By the time I pick up a fork I feel like I am licking the knob of the bathroom door! Yech. And if you are having a private dining event in the main dining room, with customers forced to dine in the bar, how about an offer of a drink, a dessert, some accommodation? If I wanted the noise level of a New York restaurant, the traffic and the commotion, I would have dined in the city. I came out of the city to have a quiet intimate birthday dinner. And finally, if you use oversize plates, the wait staff should be attentive enough to remove an empty metal bread basket without being asked.
- Great Special Occasion ExperienceMD1975Dined on 5/31/2014Food is excellent. Servers and bartenders have great personalities and are knowlegable about the menu. Service although attentive is a bit slow, but could just be personal preferance. Mentioned it was our anniversary in Open Table reservation and was served complimentary glass of champagne w/ dessert. Nice touch.Special Features:
- wannabeafoodcritcDined on 5/24/2014We went here for our anniversary thinking it would be romantic. It wasn't as we were surrounded by kids which isn't the restaurants fault since the menu is upscale, but not a great place if you want romance. The food was very good and we would certainly go again with friends.Special Features:
- AS GOOD AS IT GETSDiscerningDinerDined on 5/23/2014We recently dined in a 2-star Michelin restaurant in France. Except for the showmanship that restaurant had nothing over Harvest. The octopus appetizer is fabulous once I got over the idea of "octopus". The red snapper in ginger sauce was scrumptious as were the tender fall-off-the-bone short ribs. Save room for dessert! Though I rarely order dessert and usually indulge in only a bite or two of the best... I wanted to lick my plate after eating the entire Carmel pudding, which was actually a cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a perfect experienceTheGluttonDined on 5/22/2014Harvest is a true gem in the small town of Closter. The food is on par with the top restaurants in Manhattan. The menu is varied, healthfully prepared, and presented immaculately. The service is young, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and kid friendly. Harvest is the quintessential example of a premium priced restaurant that does not feel it needs to have an attitude to justify its prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special family dinnerCsteffDined on 5/16/2014My family and I went to Harvest to celebrate my mother's birthday. We had great wine and scotch and a delicious meal. The restaurant was understanding when I explained that we had to move our reservations later (2 different times) because my parents' flight was delayed. They were also able to accommodate my food sensitivities while still giving me a great meal.Special Features:
- Overwhelmed (the kitchen, that is)mesjmaDined on 5/11/2014Have been here before, and previously, service was excellent, attentive. This time, on Mother's Day, the restaurant was full, though not oppressively so. Nonetheless, the kitchen was completely incapable of keeping up. Long wait for our appetizers, and interminable wait for our main courses. So long that manager comp'd all of our meals (that was nice). Food is quite good, ambiance is nice indoors and out. Kitchen efficiency needs immediate attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good choisecres2013VIPDined on 5/3/2014Nice place good food always and very kind staff. We have been there in diferents ocasions. New Year´s Eve, weekdays and weekends and it is good always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great mealMakeMeGoMmmDined on 4/26/2014We had a great experience here. The food was, overall, good. We tried a couple of specials for main courses: duck, and soft shell crabs. Both were tasty, but contained a few missteps. The outstanding dishes were appetizers - lobster salad (which a salad with lobster on it, but delicious nonetheless), and another special - the scallops. Sounded similar to the scallop dish found in the entree section, but with asparagus and cauliflower. Both were wonderful. Service was very good - attentive to our needs, and actually seemed interested in our thoughts on the specials. Would definitely go back for drinks and/or dinner on the patio - beautiful fire pit and ambiance outside (but raining when we went).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad it's closeKayCVIPDined on 4/26/2014A beautiful restaurant with a great creative menu. We frequented a lot and hadn't been in a while. It's a wonderful evening out. The dining room is beautiful, there is a great more casual bar and in the summer a nice outside patio. The dry aged sirloin was amazing. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VIPBeautyDined on 4/25/2014Everyone was so friendly and accommodating to our needs. We did a birthday celebration, and the ambiance and staff made it extra special. Thank you so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service could be much betterFantastiVIPDined on 4/12/2014We arrived on time for our reservation to be told they were running about 10 minutes late which is fine. but it was much longer than that The specific table they had assigned us was not getting up. After a half hour we requested they be flexible and give us any table that became available. Also our waiter was new and had not tasted dishes on the regular menu so could not make recommendations. This is surprising for such a nice restaurant. All the food was delicious we wish there was more than four scallops in that entree.
- Great dinner!FoodieVIPDined on 4/11/2014We have been going here for years. The food is always delicious!!! There was a great band that we stayed for after dinner. There are not too many places you can get all that in one place. Love it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful open space roomOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/8/2014Beautiful open space room with a great roaring fire. Very attentive staff Loved the grilled octopus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent All AroundnotanyjoeDined on 4/5/2014For a seafood lover who doesn't regularly order Whole Fish entrees, The Crispy Red Snapper was perhaps the best Whole Fish meal I've ever had. When the server confirmed it was easy to eat she was very accurate. The presentation was excellent with scored cut side and standing upright on its belly, it was reminiscent of a Classic Asian lithograph celebrating fish as an integral part of cultural cuisine. The watermelon and tuna appetizer was freshly delicious in each flavorful bite. My companions also enjoyed their meals which were preceded by well crafted cocktails prepared by the mixologists behind the bar. Great all around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth five stars.Miles123VIPDined on 4/4/2014Could not leave enough positive comments about Harvest. Consistently outstanding. Terrific menu. Lots of delicious specials. My wife and I have been dining here for over 10 years and keep coming back for more.Special Features:
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/4/2014It's great that we can come to Harvest (about once every three to four weeks) and always get great food - and variety. Unlike some places where there may be (only) one or two dishes we order over and over again, items here vary with season and are always good. This time the appetizer of sake infused watermelon with tuna and the blackened swordfish dinner special were outstanding. There is always something different worth having. That's why we keep coming back.Special Features:
- Great new chefNicoalexVIPDined on 4/2/2014We eat here regularly and always thought the food was very good, but not great. That has all changed. Their new chef is outstanding (apparently he used to be their sous chef). So far, I have tried the whole fried snapper with spicy black bean sauce and gingered rice (amazing) and the diver scallops a few weeks ago - also fantastic. The ambience has always been nice and they have live music on Fridays and I think some Thursdays. Really inventive drinks - I love the Moscow mule - vodka, muddled cucumber and lime with a touch of ginger beer. Very refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Favorite Brunch Spot!NJfoodieVIPDined on 3/30/2014I've been to Harvest many times for dinner but this was my first brunch there. The $25 Prix Fix is the deal of the century, giving you a cocktail, appetizer, entree and two yummy profiteroles for dessert. For the app I have a bowl of mussels in a lovley light safrron cream suace that, quite frankly, could have been enough for my entire meal. Entree was the salmon which was grilled to a perfect medium-rare -- the other diners were delighted with their soup apps, pancakes, chix paillard .... we stayed THREE hours! Just enjoying the fire, great company & beautiful surrondings. This is my new favorite brunch spot and what a deal for the $$$Special Features:
- Great choiceRichardVIPDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I always enjoy trying new restaurants. Harvest did not disappoint us. Service and overall hospitality was outstanding, a d the meal was excellent. If we lived closer, we'd certainly visit several times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.