41 Elm St
Camden, ME 04843Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.hartstoneinn.com/dining/
- Phone: 2072364259
- Hours of Operation:
5:30pm-8:30pm every night
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Hartstone Inn
Butter poached Maine lobster over angel hair, Pistachio Crusted Lamb chops, and grilled Salmon Niçoise are just a sample of what diners might experience at the Hartstone Inn. Steps from Camden harbor, Fodor's considers the Hartstone Inn "An elegant and sophisticated retreat and culinary destination offering a unique experience in pampered luxury." Our cellar list offers a selection of 150 bottles, starting at $24, and lauded by Wine Spectator.Continued
Proud recipient of the AAA Four Diamond Award and the American Culinary Federation Achievement of Excellence award.
Proud recipient of the AAA Four Diamond Award and the American Culinary Federation Achievement of Excellence award.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Hartstone Inn - Best Restaurants in Camden, ME ›
Hartstone Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
romantic (20)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (8)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Don't miss this opportunityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We were blessed to spend a week in the Camden Maine area (escaping from the heat and dryness of Texas) and one of the highlights was our dining experience at the Hartstone Inn. We actually ate there TWICE during our weeks stay because it was just that fabulous! The prices are a little pricey but don't let that deter you from trying an appetizer, entree and especially a soufflé. Make plans to try a little bit of everything on the menu. Although we did not stay at the Inn, I heard from other diners that the breakfast was unbelievable. Put this on your bucket list!Special Features:
- Excellent as usualLillyDined on 9/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner here recently and once again were treated to a delicious meal. A must stop for us every time we are in Camden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConesteeDined on 9/5/2014Fabulous food prepared and presented beautifully.our favorite dining experience in the Rockport Camden area.Special Features:
- Wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014My husband and I stayed two nights at the Hartstone Inn and had dinner in the resturaunt. We enjoyed everything about our stay! The food was great and the service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dining experienceDebbieDined on 8/31/2014My husband & I had reservations on Aug 31 st for dinner. As we waited a short time for our table, we had delicious cocktails and were served complimentary appetizers, which were very good. Our dinners and the servers were simply the best. I highly recommend Hartstone for a truly great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EnoughPamAlaDined on 8/25/2014We found the service to be friendly from Jeangie, but the other server was rather cold and abrupt. The food was nicely prepared and the chef very friendly (more so than the blond server) though rather bland. Its located in a Victorian house and is also an Inn, though we didn't stay there, it seemed very pleasant. Restaurant was small but well appointed. Not a bad choice for dinner but there are others we liked better.Special Features:
- PERFECTION!LINKDined on 8/25/2014Our dining experience at the Hartstone Inn was perfect. From the moment we were greeted to the last bit of dessert, everything was "top shelf". The food was absolutely delicious and served in a beautiful setting. It was a pleasure to be in a restaurant that was quiet enough to be able to talk. The staff was attentive but not smothering. It was truly a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb mealeatrightDined on 8/17/2014The food at the Harstone Inn is a work of art. From start to finish, the presentation, flavor combinations, textures, colors and nutritional value of the menu items were perfect. The only problem was the service, which was a little frosty and inattentive. We had tea pots served but no cups and saucers. The server was very polite, but would not sustain eye contact and seemed a little cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TinajaneDined on 8/9/2014Tasting menu was delicious. Was able to accommodate my husband who is gluten intolerant. Small intimate dining rooms. Service was outstanding. Would highly recommend .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodFitzDined on 8/4/2014We sat outside on the porch on a lovely evening. The wine and food were delish!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Hartstone Inn was an awesome place to dine. Service was excellent as was the ambience and character of the Inn. The menu although not extensive, was enough to provide a variation for selection. Would not hesitate to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectMikeTDined on 7/29/2014Romantic setting and great food. Perfect for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time, and still great!WayneDined on 7/10/2014My wife and I enjoyed a delightful evening dining experience at Hartstone Inn last week. We both had the asparagus risotto with a lobster claw and half lobster tail. The risotto was made from stock, without cream. Superb! My wife enjoyed her (very thick and perfectly cooked) pork chop and I delighted in the sole, stuffed with crab. Unlike so many similar dishes elsewhere, the "hint" of lemon was perfectly balanced. You knew it was there, but it did not overpower the fish (sole is so delicate) in any way. Service was excellent and the table was quite romantic. Slightly not to my liking was the Tanqueray martini--it was warm. Clearly, I should have asked for it to be shaken (with ice). I'll know for next time there. Recommend!Special Features:
- wonderful dinner experiencetexasD2Dined on 7/5/2014I took my wife to the Hartstone Inn for her birthday, and we had a fantastic dinner. We both opted for the chef's tasting menu - each course was well thought out and expertly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top dining experienceLover4foodDined on 7/4/2014We celebrated my birthday at Hartstone having one of the best meals ever. When I first reserved a table it was for 4 people. We called and requested an in crease to 5. They were so welcoming and readily welcomed the 5 people in our party. We all experienced the outstanding tasters menu . Every course was beautifully presented and beyond amazing with fabulous sauces and perfect food. One of our party had an overdone beef tenderloin and they replaced it with another perfectly prepared tenderloin and even comped their drinks. My husband thinks we experienced one of our top experiences of dining ever,even in line I with places we dined in France and Italy! We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKlikestoeatDined on 7/1/2014This restaurant is caught in a time warp. The type of food preparation that was considered fine dining 20 years ago. Everything smothered in thick sauces.
- Somewhat disappointingEltoroDined on 6/26/2014Food was better than average for a fine dinning establishment; however, the service was much too fast, even hurried. Although not full, I guess with so few tables the need to hurry people in and out is necessary?
- DisappointingOlivierDined on 6/25/2014Our experience was very disappointing. Service was sloppy. I had to get up from my table to get my own wine. Server rushed us at the beginning and then were more focus on setting up breakfast for the the next morning instead of taking care of the costumers in the dinning room. I had to get in the kitchen and wave one of the cooks to get my check. The worst is to come, the restaurant will charge you an automatic 15% gratuities without any mention somewhere when looking at the menu. Food was very average. The website advertise great food with wonderful picture, but reality is far from those pictures.
- Fantastic everytimeMikeFamaDined on 6/12/2014Fantastic food, service and wine selection definitely five star --- love the 5 course meal option -- select that on every visitSpecial Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/2/2014My husband and I made dinner reservations at the Hartstone Inn for our 10th anniversary. The food that was prepared for us was outstanding! Every little detail had been perfected. All of the food had wonderful flavor and the portions were just enough to fill us up and leave us very satisfied. The waitress and other staff were very kind and not at all stuck up like some other places! We felt very welcome there. My husband and I will definitely return again next time we are celebrating a special occasion, and will also be recommending this restaurant to our family and friends! Wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 28 reviews are from the Hartstone Inn reviews archive.
- Birthday dinner for the girlfriendFreddieHubbardDined on 5/25/2014This is a great spot for couples celebrating a special occasion. Great food! My girlfriend loved the chocolates that the waitress brought out after dessert with the birthday message for her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Expensive for okayhopingformoreDined on 4/30/2014We had two servers - the main server was excellent. The decor is quite exquisite. The food was competently prepared but not distinctive - certainly not distinctive enough to justify the prices in any way.
- A Delectable MealLillyDined on 4/20/2014We recently had an outstanding meal at the Hartstone Inn. The Rack of Lamb was cooked and seasoned to perfection. From the appetizer, to the entrée and finally the desert all was cooked excellently. The service was top notch and friendly. We will definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- Nice fine-dining experiencetheatereaterDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed the Hartstone Inn very much. The service was excellent. Because it was a busy night in Camden we had booked early and they were attentive and our food came quickly. The portions are not large, but European style portions of delicious items: quality, not quantity. The food was freshly prepared.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Excellent food and service. Very limited menu but delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $55 Christmas SpecialDinerBoundDined on 12/25/20135 course. Shrimp in porcelain spoon was a little new, duck starter was surprisingly delicious, lobster bisque was a little intense, surf and turf was 50/50 (great lobster tail but steak was dry). Can't recall Dessert? I love foods of many cultures, but the kind you would find in private homes in other cultures, such as cuisine of the Portuguese, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Greek, Jamaican, Ethiopian, Uruguayan, etc. Real food from real people. That essence can sometimes be lost in upscale restaurants and limit ones palate in an attempt to do the opposite. I'm only one opinion.
- Disappointing!MaineMomDined on 11/16/2013We were really looking forward to this dinner but ended up a disappointed! Overall it was ok but we were expecting so much more! The food was fine - the one exception being the chilled seafood platter which was superb. We both ordered the bistro steak as an entree and it really did not have any flavor. The ambience was ok as well, again nothing to really get very excited about. We did get to meet the chef which was very nice. The most disappointing part of our evening was the service! There was no one to greet us when we walked in and we had to look around to find someone to seat us. Our waitress was borderline rude and rushed us through what we had hoped would be a leisurely dinner.Special Features:
- Miracle on Elm StreetMillcoveDined on 11/9/2013This is an exceptional place that grew up from a humble B&B into a true inn in the classic sense of a place of lodging and dining. The food was first rate from the bread to the salad to the entree. The dishes were explained, the variety was good, and the execution was superb. One gripe: the martini was anemic both in size and potency. It claimed to be Beefeater's. I am skeptical.Special Features:
- wonderful spotanneDined on 10/26/2013found this by chance and what luck..wonderful chef's tasting...great wine list with good wines of reasonable price....will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice cozy dining with great foodAvidMainerDined on 10/15/2013Very nice inn; dining room is cozy and service was great. Not a large menu, but it changes frequently, and food is fresh and well prepared. Wild mushroom soup was the best I've had. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Delightful.ScottyDined on 9/17/2013Charming spot. Delicious food, nicely presented. Good service. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MelanieDined on 9/15/2013Even though we are frequent visitors to Camden, this was our first time at Hartstone and we were very impressed. The food was exceptional. The atmosphere is very quiet, so this may not be the best place for a group. Perfect for couples.Special Features:
- The food was overall good,lmdoellingDined on 9/13/2013The food was overall good, but the pork chop I had for my entree was overcooked and somewhat tough. The service was adequate, but they seemed too busy to talk to us about anything for more than a minute or so. Their brevity made them appear snooty. We then realized at the end of the dinner that they decided to add their gratuity on the check! I have never had a restaurant add gratuity on for serving just two people. No wonder they didn't feel the need to talk to us much- they knew that they didn't need to actually earn a tip!Special Features:
- Fantastic romantic dining experiancLovingCamdenMaineDined on 9/10/2013My wife and I recently at here for during our 12th anniversary getaway trip and it was amazing. The dining room is small and perfect to have a quite romantic dinner. The service was always perfect and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend anyone who is near Camden, Maine to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinnerJPTierneyDined on 9/2/2013Hartstone delivered a fabulous dinner and is a very quaint setting.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2013This restaurant was highly recommended for its tasting menu, but I thought the food was very average. The gazpacho was very ordinary and the poached lobster entree was not very special. The restaurant was hot and the service was ok, but not great. I would not go back.
- Birthday dinner at Hartstone InnLilyluv2dineDined on 8/19/2013The dinner was delightful and the setting was magnificent. Definitely a home run for my friend who was having a birthday. The only negative feedback I have is that they added an automatic 15% gratuity to our bill and we were only a party of four. The server definitely missed out as our typical tip is 20% plus. And it was a little offensive. If we can afford the prices at Hartstone, we can afford the tip but weren't given the opportunity to do so.Special Features:
- Food good, service disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2013The place is dreary. No bar. Waited for reserved table in Inn's breakfast room. Were told mixed drinks were premixed. Ordered Ketel One martinis. No Ketel One. Drinks finally came in beautiful handblown glasses (Grey Goose) and were good.Were forgotten in room. Relaxing. Then hustled to table in dining room.Chose prix fixe 5 course menu. Food good, but service not. A contrast to quality of meal. Ordered great wine-was served poorly. Seemed odd.Servers were bored and remote and VERY hurried. By the time the dessert came ( it was the only tasteless dish), the servers clearly wanted us to move on. Bill arrived with 15% tip included (only the two of us). We chose not to add any further tip. Unusual as we often tip above 20%.We would not go backSpecial Features:
- World class dining in Camden, MaineBethDined on 8/5/2013Doesn't get any better than this. And I've eaten at Alinea, Charlie Trotters, the French Laundry and the Inn at Little Washington. Perfect execution, flawless service, intimate atmosphere. A special place for our 30th Anniversary dinner. And I'm hoping to be able to go on their Italian cooking class some day soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine cuisine, special eveningMaineloverDined on 8/4/2013We have eaten at the Hartstone several times in the last few years on our annual trip to Camden. Each time we have been delighted with the excellent food, prepared imaginatively and in such a way that enhances the natural flavors of the top-notch fresh ingredients. We shared an appetizer of lobster prepared four ways, which was wonderful, and we both had the parmesan-crusted cod with tiger shrimp and arugula pesto. The food was amazing and the wait staff was very attentive but unobtrusive. We look forward to going back next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.