Harry's Cafe and Steak
One Hanover Square
New York, NY 10004Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
Harry's Cafe and Steak
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.harrysnyc.com/index.cfm
- Phone: (212) 785-9200
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am; Lounge/Bar open later
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American
- Executive Chef: Joe Mallol
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Harry's Café & Steak offers the perfect location for events of every nature for both larger groups and smaller parties. Harry's never charges a room fee for any of these options.
A word from Harry's Cafe and Steak
With its large oval booths and rich bronze leather banquets, copper ceiling with walnut trim and particular lighting, the main dining room at Harry's Café & Steak caters to both Wall Streeters as well as residents of the burgeoning Financial district neighborhood. Patrons will immediately be drawn to the 47 foot bar, covered in solid, rich American Black Walnut. Gone are the six free telephones, stock ticker and munifacts machines that once graced the bar area of the original, replaced by a professional sound system and separate bar seating designed to create a distinct lounge area where guests can enjoy great cocktails as well as food. Our separate wine cellar dining room evokes memories of the original restaurant in a more intimate setting. The 70 seat wine cellar has its own entrance located on Pearl Street but is also accessible from the main dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harry's Cafe and Steak reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (39)neighborhood gem (36)good for groups (30)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (25)notable wine list (24)great for brunch (18)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (12)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Terrible Brunch Servicevb2ncDined on 11/15/2014Had to wait 45 minutes and ask three times to get a refill on the "unlimited champagne." Need to come armed with extreme patience and cash to grease the waiter into getting him to look your way.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and overall restaurantJewelsDined on 11/14/2014Harry's has great service and excellent food. The ambiance is very elegant too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ss09Dined on 11/8/2014I have only been here for brunch but the food is always great and your glass is always full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Boy's ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/6/2014Located in the iconic India House, Harry's looks like it should be a neighborhood go to. It has an old world, boy's club feel and a vibrant atmosphere. This said, menu is as one would expect (all the usual suspects) and the service decent at best. Would I go back? Meh.Special Features:
- great findLoLoDined on 11/4/2014Loved everything about this restaurant. Excellent service, good food, wonderful ambiance, very lively scene.Special Features:
- Hard to find, should stay that wayscotchontherocksVIPDined on 10/31/2014Overpriced. Average menu. Food served quickly and rudely, and taken away before we were finished. If you're having trouble finding it, stumble into one of the other 25 nearby restaurants; you'll be better off.
- Great RestaurantSevillanoDined on 10/29/2014The Fish Tacos were outstanding and loved the steak.Special Features:
- Worth a Trip to the City!MartyRVIPDined on 10/25/2014We took our adult daughter and her boyfriend to Harry's for her birthday. What a great experience. Primarily a young hipsters crowd but a great experience for all ages. Great services, wonderful ambience, a good value for generally high NYC prices. Well worth the ride in from New Jersey for excellent food and high quality "Steak House" service in a wonderful setting.Special Features:
- Scoobydoo1Dined on 10/24/2014Our steaks were cooked to perfection. We ate at other recommended steakhouses whilst visiting New York but Harry's was by far the best, pity it was out last night or we would've gone again. We also had the cheesecake which was very light after having such large steaks. Definitely worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Terrible ServiceBoppoDined on 10/24/2014Food was fantastic; however the service was the poorest I have experienced at a high end restaurant. On a October 24, 2014, a Friday night, I took my girlfriend to Harry's to celebrate her birthday. We arrived at roughly 7:25 p.m. for a 7:30 reservation and were promptly seated. This is where the service fell apart. Not one waiter came by over the next 20 minutes to take our drink order, even though we were seated right next to the P.O.S machine. Only after I stood up and confronted a waiter to see if he was our server did we get any service. He responded to my question as if begrudgingly annoyed. After finishing dinner, we had to wait another 20mins before ordering dessert, once again only after I grabbed our waiter to see a menu. AwfulSpecial Features:
- marilyn downtownworkdowntownVIPDined on 10/20/2014Good for business client meals and a great wine listI would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK.eatinginnycDined on 10/18/2014This was my first time at Harry's and we went because it was conveniently located between Harlem and BK - where my friend lives. And of course, because of the unlimited champagne brunch. That being said, I found the restaurant incredibly loud, the food just OK (I had the steak and eggs and was underwhelmed by both - which is sad in a steakhouse), and the service was alright. I will say that once the servers got used to us they became much more friendly...however, I still think they could have been a bit more attentive and pro-active. Once we moved to the bar the service became downright terrible. There is nothing worse than waiting for a bartender to pain attention to you only to have her turn the charm for her manager. Not cool.Special Features:
- unexpected disappointed brunchedowntownVIPDined on 10/18/2014Have Had brunch here several times as they offer unlimited champagne for 2hrs. I always enjoyed this place previously. Well. Not for this time!The waiter stopped serving champagne only after 1 hr and brought a check around 12 40pm.. ( we got there 11 30am). He didn't even ask if we were still drinking or wanted a check. While we had our meals, i think we got 2 glasses of champagne. The waiter was inattentive and busy with taking ordes. Seems like lack of waiter and waitress. The food was also so mediocre for the price. Failed in brunch with unlimited drinks. Never come back!Special Features:
- Excellent food & serviceGavinDined on 10/17/2014We were in NYC all the way from New Zealand. My visit confirms all the reading I did, this is some of the best steak in the US. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner in Wall StreetRosalieDined on 10/16/2014Meet Harry during the dinner! Had dinner with customers and peers from work. The best dinner ever ! The food was outstanding ! Highly recommend Harry's to anyone who visits wall street..Special Features:
- Great brunchbleighannDined on 10/11/2014The brunch is amazing! Food is great and with the unlimited champagne brunch it can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome - Even for a Vegetarian!Lisa1972Dined on 10/9/2014I recently went to Harry's and I really enjoyed it. The restaurant had a nice atmostphere and good acoustics so that even though it was packed, it was not loud. and most of all - the waiter and chef were able to easily accodomdate me as a vegetarian in a steak house. The menu did have vegetarian salads for appetizers but they did not have vegetarian lunch meals -- but, they created a vegetarian (vegan really) fettucine that knocked my socks off!Special Features:
- Fidi fantasticPeterDined on 10/4/2014We live in the neighborhood and love Harry's. A late night drink and polenta fries is just hard to beat. We take visitors to lunch and dinner. The wait staff is friendly and attentive ( occassionally too attentive). The food is always excellent. The bill reflects fine dinning but that is well known before you arrive and is fair given the quality of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/4/2014My friend and I were in the city for the weekend staying at Gild Hall. We heard great things about Harry's and while the food was very good, the service was less than exceptional. Our waiter never introduced himself or offered a welcome of any kind. It was very strange and very offputting. We also had an early reservation since we had to make it to Times Square for a 8:00 show so there was barely anyone even in the restaurant. It was very uncomfortable and while the food was well prepared, it and the experience were certainly not worth another visit.
- No hurry to go backLuv2eatVIPDined on 10/2/2014Our requests to lower the AC fell on deaf ears. The wait staff is cold and impersonal. With so many options in NY, no need to return.Special Features:
- PactorDined on 9/26/2014I ordered burger and it came out so fast which could explain why the bun was undercook and the meat had no taste.
- Business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Client chose this spot for a business lunch. Food was delicious, service was professional and very prompt. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizabethHappyeaterDined on 9/20/2014We had been quite often and the food is good and its a neighborhood have. But this time the service was slow, inattentive, incompetent and surly. We were very disappointed.Special Features:
- Fantastic eveningGoodtimeDined on 9/19/2014Dining at Harry's started our weekend at a family wedding perfectly. My husnband and I found the entire staff to be extremely enjoyable. Chris was amazing with our wine. He opened our choice, found it corked, and opened a second bottle. Our food matched the wine and the evening well. Delicious and beautifully presented. I would like to thank all at Harry's for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Great service!SMC9831Dined on 9/18/2014We had a fabulous booth, attentive service, which means never having to look for the waiter for another glass of wine or water. Wonderful food, the steak tartare was fabulous!!!Special Features:
- Horrible ServiceTDFXDined on 9/16/2014It started with the waiter wincing at an order including hamburgers. Sensing his tip was going to be compromised may have influenced his lack of attention to our table, or he is just accustomed to delivering bad service. In either case, I had to flag down a server each time I wanted to order another cocktail. I had to ask to have the plates cleared. I had to ask for a dessert menu. Not to mention the first drink I had came with a bright red lipstick mark. There is no need to go there unless you have.
- Hog111Dined on 9/15/2014My son and I had a nice dinner at Harrys. Very good onien-soup - ok hanger steak. The vine was a bit dissapointing. The atmosphere was great and the room looked good! It was dificult for us to find the restaurant! You have to go from Water Street down Hanover.Special Features:
- DisappointingNatalieDined on 9/10/2014The food this visit was fairly terrible and the waiter seemed highly unfamiliar with the wine listSpecial Features:
- Always amazingBrianVIPDined on 9/4/2014You'll always have an amazing meal here. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good restaurantNYCFoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2014This is a great place to go for a work lunch as it is in the financial district. Great for business lunches and meetings. I had the steak sandwich and loved it. For more restaurant reviews, please go to my website: www.thestylegourmande.comSpecial Features:
- Great Recommendation by FriendSnackmasterDined on 8/25/2014First time to NYC. Friend recommended Harry's. Great martini, lobster stuffed shrooms, caprese salad, bone-in filet and wine. Service was spot on in a space with great atmosphere that mixed well in its historic location. My wife loved her fish. "I'll be back!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in a great placeBigdogDined on 8/16/2014We took our son and his fiancée to Harry's to celebrate their engagement. We had great service from the front door to the end of our visit. We were seated in a quiet, spacious booth, and had great drinks and wine, great appetizers and salads and wonderful entrees and sides. The advice on food was perfect. Our waiter Milan was superb, as was the whole table staff. I couldn't recommend it more highly. If there were 10 stars, I'd give them.Special Features:
- Not a great experiencebuzzbombVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just the facts ma'am. Our waiter was terrible ~ sooooo slow, never checked in to see if we needed anything. We had to ask other waiters for help. Ugh! The food was OK nothing great. The restaurant was freezing!!! And I mean really cold! I had a sweatshirt on and was still cold. The restaurant is VERY loud! Clearly not the best experience. With so many great restaurants to choose from in NYC I won't be going back here.
- Spectacular in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Took friends from Brazil to Harry's and they were impressed. The food was excellent, service impeccable, and evening delightful. We felt well attended while never rushed. I live in the neighborhood, but would even suggest a commute to the financial district for such a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageJimboDined on 8/13/2014For the price food was average. Service below average. Waiter did not pay attention to a lactose intolerance and the menu did not describe the presence of cream cheese on the tuna tartare.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014great restaurant week pick up. could've used more choices with their menu, but promo price to actual price was a bargain. food was awesome, place was extravagant, service was excellent.Special Features:
- Charged to refill my iced teaEmilyDined on 8/5/2014I had the cod fish special that was delicious. But I was unhappy to see on the bill that I was charged $3.75 to have my iced tea refilled. Really? How Un-American! I won't go back.Special Features:
- Attention to detailMoonmagpieDined on 8/4/2014I made a reservation with special notes to bring a chocolate dessert out for a birthday celebration. I have requested this of many restaurants, this was the ONLY place that actually got it right!! Kudos!!Special Features:
- Always a Sure Thing!LOVEDININGDined on 7/30/2014Go on Wednesdays, indulge in the beef wellington. I've never had anything that wasn't great here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable Dining ExperienceBoubbiDined on 7/26/2014I cannot wait to go back.This time WE will go for Brunch!!!Special Features: