Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
153 South Illinois Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.harryandizzys.com/
- Phone: 3176359594
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
Harry & Izzy's is an independent, upscale American Grill located in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. Its ambience exudes class and sophistication in a comfortable setting. While the lively bar is Harry & Izzy's focal point, unique dining rooms incorporate dark woods, lush fabrics and a deep color palette. This sister restaurant to the famous St. Elmo Steak House, shares a few classic dishes, while offering more menu variety. Open for lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
402 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (267)good for groups (159)romantic (138)fit for foodies (124)notable wine list (108)hot spot (103)great for lunch (103)neighborhood gem (82)vibrant bar scene (70)great for outdoor dining (60)late-night find (31)great for brunch (22)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (21)Show More
- excellentDallasusa11Dined on 9/19/2014Great food, great drinks, great service, no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent conference lunch spotBethDined on 9/19/2014Ate at Harry & Izzy's during a conference lunch break. They had an excellent lunch menu and a special for $20 that included 3 courses. The shrimp cocktail did not disappoint. The salad served with the special was tasty and very fresh. My colleague's beef sandwich was very disappointing but they took care of it quickly. My chicken club sandwich was tasty. Would repeat again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. The food and atmosphere are first rate and our waitress, Amy, is the best of the best - knowledgeable, friendly, and obviously someone who enjoys what she does.Special Features:
- WaiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We had the best waiter, she was kind and very personable. Had great suggestions and was right on. Food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Great steak and mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2014Had dinner there with 6 other people and everyone enjoyed their dinner. I had filet and it was cooked perfect and tasted great. Everyone enjoy their dinner. Only downside was the side salad was just ok. Nothing special.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014Always enjoy the food , service and atmosphere...Never disappointed.. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had Higher ExpectationsBrandyDined on 9/14/2014I was very disappointed in our server; we were told that we could request the Devour Downtown menu and pricing on Sunday night. My brother, a big-time foodie, came all the way from NY for dinner here. When we requested the Devour Downtown menu, our server said that Harry and Izzy's no longer honors that for Sunday nights. Disappointed, we ordered off the regular menu. By the time we finished our meal, we overhead another waitress offer the menu to other diners! Not only did we not get the meal we wanted, but the server was not knowledgable about restaurant policies. We enjoyed our dinner, but left feeling disappointed. We do not feel confident in returning.Special Features:
- Busy but service didn't dissappointHootdogDined on 9/13/2014We went downtown for dinner while nd game was going on and got in easy and had exceptional service. The food was great and location was as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Same great St. Elmos foodBoilerDined on 9/13/2014Staff was stretched too far and missed several of our requests. Food was OK but ribeye was tough and not up to par with their reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for events downtownbsellers253Dined on 9/13/2014We took a party of 8 here before the ND game. Service, food and atmosphere was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome steaks!moparclayDined on 9/13/2014I took my three teenage kids there before the football game at Lucas Oil. Outstanding meal, with great atmosphere! It was the highlight of the evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014H&I's is amazing. We have always had great service there and we love it!Special Features:
- Harry and Izzie's rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Fabulous food! Great ambiance! We flew in from Omaha for the Notre Dame game. This was part of a really super mini vacation all around! It was relaxed friendly and a very special part of a very special week end!!! Thank you! Stephanie HolmesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We love to eat here - best filet sliders ever...and of course shrimp cocktail a must have. Server was wonderful - all staff very friendly and efficientSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Steak was good but not great, especially mine for $53. My salad was really good and our waiter was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Third and final time there for lunch. Took 4 customers . Waiter was overbearing and irritating to everyone. He was loud and would not give up on pushing appetizers and desserts. The restaurant servers must have had a contest going on. Only one of five orders was delivered correctly. I never got my Caesar salad but couldn't stand the thought of having the waiter back at the table again so I didn't ask for it. . Soup was cold and beef sliders were tough. Sorry for the negative review. ! Do NOT publish my name!!! This is just for your information
- Ambiance surprise!higashilDined on 9/9/2014The shrimp cocktail was awesome as usual. Our waiter was outstanding and the overall service was excellent. We ate upstairs for the first time and was pleasantly surprised with the cozy ambiance. Thanks H&I for a great night out with the guys!Special Features:
- rbbiiiDined on 9/7/2014Since I eat lunch several times a month - I have come to expect excellent service. I brought my mom in for her 80th birthday - her first time. The food was great - but the experience was not great overall. The server did a poor job of prebusing the table and did not crumb the table before coffee and dessert. We did not receive new silverware for dessert. My leftover was boxed up and not everything was included from the plate. While waiting for our car in the lobby - an employee was getting off work and undressing by the coat check. He removed his white shirt and his bare belly was exposed for a brief time. I think this should be done in the breakroom. The food was great - as alwaysSpecial Features:
- Gluten Free Loved ItGFguyDined on 9/6/2014I have celiac disease, and must adhere to a strict GF diet. The staff was very well trained to accommodate the requirements. Their GF menu is one of the best I have ever found. The food was amazing. The staff was amazing.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014Only issue had was lighting was dim had some issue reading menu brought menu upon phone our waitresswas brillant her knowledgeof the menu was very awesome.Love the harry and izzy we come to indianapolis every sept and we make our stop at this restaurant great food serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My reviewToneLyrikerDined on 9/6/2014It was a very nice and classy place I enjoyed it . I'd recommend this place to other people very nice & friendly service ! Great place to dine in or even out !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place!RebCDined on 9/5/2014I went here to celebrate my husband's birthday. The atmosphere was romantic, and the food was terrific. I only wish we would have had room for dessert. We will definitely be coming back to this establishment soon!Special Features:
- Anniversarymedium2welldoneDined on 9/5/2014Our anniversary dinner was perfect. The staff acknowledged our night and made it a very special one indeed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, lackluster serviceDowntownIndyGirlDined on 9/5/2014We come here for lunch and dinner, and we like it better than St. Elmo because the atmosphere is livelier. We know that, unlike St. Elmo, the wait staff are not in it for life, so we have slightly lower expectations. This time, however, our server seemed like she'd have been a better fit at a chain restaurant than this Downtown gem. She was in a hurry to move us along, knew nothing about the wine list, checked in on us far too frequently. The food also wasn't quite as good usual. The shrimp weren't properly deveined, and the dressing/sauces lacked that extra kick. We had a good time, but it wasn't on par with our normal experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First less than perfect experienceWVFOODIEDined on 9/4/2014Harry & Izzy's is usually a great experience with fabulous food. This ambiance was energetic as always and the service was great. The Slab Bacon and the roasted beet salad did not disappoint. Unfortunately, this time around the steak fell short of my expectations. Usually a bone-in filet is amazing - not this time. The steak lacked flavor and was stringy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Great food and service! Really had a wonderful evening. Will come again and soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperrbbiiiDined on 9/3/2014I like to dine here for lunch a couple times a months - never disappoints. Great food and service. Best tenderloin in the city!Special Features:
- Great Atmosphere & ServiceDanBDined on 8/31/2014I took my girlfriend to Indy for a weekend get-away to celebrate our anniversary, and we went to Harry and Izzy's for dinner on a Sunday night. Alex was our server, and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. The food was tremendous, and the atmosphere was perfect. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - except for allowing dogsHab74Dined on 8/31/2014We love Harry & Izzy's... my husband and I sat outside on the patio to enjoy the summer weather. Food was superb - wait staff a little slow, but I chalked it up to sitting on the patio. The only exception was that a non-working dog was allowed to sit at a table right behind us! I do not want to share my dining experience with someone else's canine. Plus, the said dog and another dog being walked on the sidewalk got into an altercation. I was shocked that an establishment such as Harry & Izzy's would allow someone's pet to dine with them.Special Features:
- Great mealHungryHappyDined on 8/31/2014It was our first trip to Harry & Izzy's and the food and drink were both great. We ate off the Devour Downtown menu (which ended 8/31/14), which had a couple of nice specials. The add-on Horseradish Gorgonzola butter for the filet was wonderful! Waiter had a few nice drink recommendations for the hard liquor drinkers of the group. Cheesecake was a little underwhelming but everything else was great!Special Features:
- PoorDiningdownerDined on 8/31/2014Service was good but the food was a little off. Did not enjoy the meal and will not return for anniversary or other special occasions. Food was nothing special. Our party had sliders, salmon, and filet mignon. The seasoning was not present and the potatoes tasted like they were cooked earlier in week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay..CAberDined on 8/30/2014Things went downhill quick. Food came out an 1.5 hours after ordering. Mgmt was nice and picked up the check, so I'd give them Another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a group of 10 for a birthday dinner. The food was FANTASTIC. The potatoes were the best any of us had ever had, salad and soup were perfect, and the desserts were to die for. As for the steak and chicken, St. Elmo's or Ruth's Chris is better but it was still very good. The service however was terrible. It took over an hour and a half to get our food and we were on a time schedule which they knew about ahead of time. They did upgrade our desserts to the bigger size but we were so full and short on time we didn't have time to eat it all and we're unable to take left overs due to plans for later in the night. Overall, I would go to St. Elmo's. I've been to both with a large party and they are more accommodating and have the same food.Special Features:
- DisappointingfoodieDined on 8/30/2014We have been to many downtown Indy Restaurants. We decided to try Harry and Izzy's during devour downtown with friends from out of state. Here is our reasons for disappointment: 1. Service- We are usually patient with the wait staff because we know the restaurant was very busy on a weekend. However our server was very slow, and our food was luke warm 2. Most of us ordered mashed potatoes with our meal and they were starchy. Most likely because they sat for a while. 3. The steaks and chicken dishes were good but not warm. 4. We ordered crème brulee. It was not very good. 5. We ordered coffee and it came after most of our desserts were eaten. Note: We have been to St Elmo's in the past. It seems the service there is much better.Special Features:
- NiceplowshearDined on 8/30/2014We have been to this place numerous times over the past few years and is always good. Our food was exceptional this week. There shrimp is always great.Special Features:
- Mini reunionfoodismeDined on 8/30/2014Three of our four children were home for the weekend, so we celebrated with a downtown dinner. The lamb chops were delectable, and the filets could have been cut with a fork. And the bread! Son-in-law ate five pieces and took several home. Yes, it's that good. To top it all off, our server (who was excellent) recommended a red wine blend that was perfect for everyone. The tab was not for the faint of heart, but we knew that going in. This was a celebration of family being together and the evening was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerLuvJayDined on 8/30/2014Dinner was great and Jay provided awesome service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTommyboyDined on 8/30/2014Great ribeye ! Prepared perfectly. Great service. Stuck upstairs back in a corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OhsixmbDined on 8/29/2014The only detractor was our seating in a room that had a group of 8 and a group of 14. The food, service, water, fresh bread, and utensils were always there and not at awkward times. Worth the price for an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- madlowDined on 8/29/2014Our waiter was excellent, very friendly and informative. Service was great, timely but not over intrusive. We can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.