Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
153 South Illinois Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.harryandizzys.com/
- Phone: 3176359594
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
Harry & Izzy's is an independent, upscale American Grill located in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. Its ambience exudes class and sophistication in a comfortable setting. While the lively bar is Harry & Izzy's focal point, unique dining rooms incorporate dark woods, lush fabrics and a deep color palette. This sister restaurant to the famous St. Elmo Steak House, shares a few classic dishes, while offering more menu variety. Open for lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
423 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (285)good for groups (174)romantic (149)fit for foodies (133)hot spot (115)great for lunch (102)notable wine list (97)neighborhood gem (83)vibrant bar scene (82)great for outdoor dining (47)late-night find (37)scenic view (21)great for brunch (21)kid-friendly (19)Show More
- Fantastic NY strip!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014This was a fantastic place to go for a special occasion! Great food too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DessertBGindyDined on 10/28/2014Order the bread pudding and share with three friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome birthdayThreeGirlsDined on 10/26/2014Eight of us celebrated my daughter's 30th birthday. We had an awesome time. It was a perfect night. Our server was wonderful. They let me bring my own birthday dessert. Food was excellent. I wouldn't have changed a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing its strideOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014Harry and Izzy's, long a staple of the 'almost as good' as the top-notch Indy restaurants, appears to have lost a bit of its rhythm in the crowded downtown market. A recent Saturday night visit underscored either the lack of proper server/expediter training or reveals how the restaurant has exceeded its reach. First, the dry aged ribeye, ordered eagerly and available from the St. Elmo's menu, failed to appear as a standard 12oz. ribeye took its place. Fortunately, the server realized the mistake but only at the end of the dinner course. Second, the wine list, which represents good value, is hard for the staff to comprehend as our server didn't understand why I wasn't thrilled with one vintage substituted for another.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent As AlwaysBillDined on 10/24/2014Have been a patron of St. Elmo and now Harry & Izzy since 1964. Definitely best in Indy, and as good as almost any steakhouse in the country. Can't go wrong here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!happycoupleDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I dined here for our wedding anniversary. This was our first visit and we were very impressed. The hosts were efficient and friendly. They found our reservation quickly and seated us right away. Our waitress was wonderful and knowledgeable about the menu. She gave us time to look over everything without leaving us sit for a lengthy time. The food came out within a desired time and was fresh, hot and delicious! Our glasses were never empty which is a difficult task as my husband drinks like a camel! We even had dessert which was more than we could've asked for. Also, our table was decorated for the occasion. It was a wonderful experience and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choice in downtown Indy.tingoldVIPDined on 10/23/2014We were a group of six: needed different bills and had different appetites - no problem at Harry & Izzy's. And the food was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedMiataDined on 10/23/2014The food was fine but not worth the price. Ice Tea served in a bottle.....hmmmm?
- MikeDined on 10/22/2014I entertained a group of six here, and everyone was impressed with the history, atmosphere and food. We shared a 10 piece shrimp cocktail, which is every bit as good as they say. Entrees were ribeyes, surf and turf, tenderloin, with each being very good. Wait staff is attentive and the place is just a neat spot to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!HoosierFoodieDined on 10/21/2014I was called by a sweet-voiced, polite young woman, confirming our reservation. We arrived a few minutes early and were seated immediately in a comfortable booth. Our server was Leslie. I recommend asking for her. She was smart, knowledgeable and pleasant. All of her suggestions were spot-on. I had the Coppola Zinfandel and my husband, a Captain and Coke. Drink prices were moderate... no more expensive than most hotels when I travel. I had to have the shrimp cocktail, having been a St. Elmo's fan for years. We were walking to Banker's Life for the Fleetwood Mac concert and did not want to be weighed down, so my choice was small filet, rare, with the amazing Brussels sprouts... husband had the prime rib sandwich! JUST PERFECT!!Special Features:
- After the Colt's GamePRT2014Dined on 10/19/2014Reservations are crutial as the place was hopping after the Colt's win against the Bengals. No matter how crowded, the service was still excellent and the food even better. Shrimp cocktail, steaks and salmon...too full for dessert.Special Features:
- ColtsDined on 10/19/2014Tried following 1 pm Colts game. Very busy, seated immediately. No waitress for 15 minutes; inquired of other staff to get drinks and appetizer. Long wait for wine list and wine. After ordering food was timely, delicious, and cooked as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 Thumbs Up Harry & Izzy's!!reviewDined on 10/18/2014This was my first time at Harry & Izzy's and I was impressed! The customer service and food is excellent. My friends and I went there for my 30th birthday. I am a stickler for good customer service and they were exceptional and the food and alcoholic beverages were great. I will definitely be back here at some point. Kudos Harry & Izzy's!Special Features:
- Could/Should have been betterBagapeakDined on 10/18/2014We've been to H&I's probably around a half dozen times and generally loved the steaks and atmosphere. This time my steak was average at best and seemed bland even with the Izzy style toppings. If I go there again, I think I will pass on the Izzy style presentation. Just wasn't worth the extra and I think it covered up the flavor of the streak; what little there was of it. We noticed too that the signature shrimp cocktail was pricier for much smaller shrimp. The waiter was useless Forgot our drinks, our appetizer and seemed to not give one hoot in Hades that we were even there. I'll consider this an atypical outing at this restaurant and will try it again. But frankly, I had a better NY Strip at Outback for half the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We had a great first experience at Harry and Izzy's and we would definitely dine here again! The steaks were some of the best we've had and the service was top notch! Great atmosphere and location. Absolutely decadent food, yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect in every wayFood4FunDined on 10/18/2014Best filet I've ever had. It was my husband's birthday and the table was discreetly decorated & the service impeccable. We did not want to be rushed, and we weren't. The waitress had great suggestions for drinks & the St Elmos shrimp cocktail was as incredible as its reputation. The ambience was romantic and we will definitely return. It's expensive but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our nite outlove2eatheartyDined on 10/18/2014The food was awesome,shrimp cocktail was out of this world,,take it easy on it tho, ,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service food mediocreIndydiner14Dined on 10/18/2014Can't complain about service. You can find wait staff everywhere. My water glass was never empty and the table service was good. I would suggest a wine list however. The food however was lacking. Izzies would be advised to pay attention to its beef selection. The filet was prepared well but the taste was as flat as the steak was thick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingluvfinediningDined on 10/17/2014Seems like the quality of food is going down.........i had a filet mignon......med-rare.....not all that tasty...very little seasoning...a little dry........Greg had a ribeye.......said very little taste and that is why he got the ribeye for taste........food not even close to St Elmo's despite the price almost the same.......was very disappointed.......one friend had salmon...said it was ok....shrimp cocktail was fine but sauce was not nearly as spicy...very disappointing for us to take out 2 visiting guests and it was only "just okay". Waitress was very nice and knowledgeable but voice was very quiet......with loud ambiance we kept having her repeat as we couldn't hear..........sorry but not real likely to want to come back anytime soon.
- Very NicetmsqamDined on 10/17/2014Had lunch. Strip was excellent. Would go back next time I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Meal was good, seating area was a little noisy. Waiter was very attentive. He let us know when the kitchen was backed up and our meal would take a little longer and asked if we wanted another appetizer or salad.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 21 anniversary. I wanted to go somewhere with really good food and service. We enjoyed both at Harry and Izzy's. Our waitress was very attentive and made our date night a very fun occasion. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- Weekend getawayGoldieDined on 10/16/2014We started with the calamari which was lightly breaded along with a nice aioli sauce. Onto the spinach salad which thankfully we shared. The hubby went with the bone in ribeye which was perfectly cooked and I decided on the salmon, oscar style. Disappointed that the fish was overcooked and really devoid of any seasoning. The creamed spinach was excellent as a side along with the brussel sprouts because any veggie with bacon is a good veggie. We chose a cab from Vindicated which was nice albeit warm; wine opens up and exposes the depth of its flavors at 56 degrees. Friendly, knowledgeable wait staff and a well timed dinner all contributed to a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DessertHappyFamilyDined on 10/16/2014The new bread pudding was spectacular. We were all full at the end of the meal but the four of us managed to eat every bite of the bread pudding. This is by far the best restaurant in Indy.Special Features:
- JAY SETTY-super waiter!BuddyPVIPDined on 10/15/2014Jay was very informed about the menu. He did not push more expensive bottle of wine when we asked for his advice. He did not hound us at dinner time when we ordered a variety of appetizers. Added some humor and was very cordial. Made for a pleasant dining experience. PS Shrimp cocktail sauce was not its usual hot. Actually bland. Must have been a bad night in the kitchen. SorrySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014My wife and I took our friends from Ohio to celebrate our 45th college homecoming. Service was excellent, food came quickly and was well-prepared. We were all pleased with our experience and would recommend Harry and Izzy's to anyone. I've been there several times with different groups and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014The steak filet was outstanding. The shrimp cocktail was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We ate at your restaurant Friday evening. 10-10-14. We had to wait several minuted for refills even after asking twice. The steak was terribly boring! No flavor at all! I was very disappointed. My wife an I ate there for our 12 year anniversary. We paid $109.00 after complaining to our waiter. Will never return or refer anyone to your restaurant!
- DisappointedDined on 10/8/2014I was disappointed in the service and the quality of food. I was entertaining clients and we had long waits for our food and my pork chops were dry and not worth the price I will go to other restaurants next time
- Our FavoriteHarleneDined on 10/8/2014As always, we had an excellent meal. We were celebrating our 41st anniversary and so we chose H&I's of course. Too full for dessert:-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for lunchJustinDined on 10/5/2014Take advantage of the fixed price menu on Sundays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualvacayindyDined on 10/5/2014Always our go-to restaurant downtown. Make sure you ask for Jay.Special Features:
- ZekerVIPDined on 10/5/2014It is our go-to place pre-Colts games!! Great ambiance and blue at every table! Of course the food and service are second to noneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indy GemRugoateeDined on 10/4/2014Great location and ambiance. Something on the menu for everyone.Special Features:
- SaturdaynighDatenightDined on 10/4/2014Outstanding restaurant, Great food and service. Always....ordered the signature shrimp cocktail...Wonderful as always. My meal was the prime rib sandwich....It was excellent. Was there with a party of four. Everyone enjoyed their food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grtinindyDined on 10/3/2014Man that cocktail sauce is spicy, but you can't quit eating it. Wonderful filet cooked exactly as ordered. Great service tooSpecial Features:
- DisappointedladyelainebDined on 10/3/2014We have eaten here frequently since opening. The menu remains the same. There are so many great restaurants in downtown Indy and the surrounding areas that have much more flavorful food and innovative menus. Our server was very helpful. Timing of the food was adequate; however, we were still eating our appetizer when the salads arrived. We sat on the top dining area and it was very cool and breezy. Unfortunately, there was a party of 6 in this small space and one gentleman's loud voice made it difficult to converse within our party of 4. Sadly, I think this restaurant was more like a general "run of the mill" steak house on this night.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014Service was excellent. Food was great. Good choice for lunch. Definitely will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Shrimp Cocktail!IndyYelpEliteMJWDined on 10/3/2014It's out of this world! Thanks for the amazing service! I can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Great Experience!IndyBlueCrewDined on 10/2/2014We took a group of 11 people from work to dinner here last week, and had just a fantastic experience. As many know, this restaurant is owned by the same folks who own/operate "St. Elmo's Steak House" next door, which is the oldest restaurant in Indy (100+ yrs.). Due to this connection, Harry & Izzy's offers the world famous Shrimp Cocktail that St. Elmo's has become famous for. The menu is diverse, the food is wonderful, and the service was flawless (even for a large group). I prefer Harry & Izzy's over St. Elmo's since there is more elbow room, and the noise level is lower (since you're not sitting on top of other tables) than St. Elmo's. We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.