Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
153 South Illinois Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.harryandizzys.com/
- Phone: (317) 635-9594
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
Harry & Izzy's is an independent, upscale American Grill located in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. Its ambience exudes class and sophistication in a comfortable setting. While the lively bar is Harry & Izzy's focal point, unique dining rooms incorporate dark woods, lush fabrics and a deep color palette. This sister restaurant to the famous St. Elmo Steak House, shares a few classic dishes, while offering more menu variety. Open for lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
459 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (306)good for groups (205)romantic (154)fit for foodies (153)hot spot (127)notable wine list (111)great for lunch (107)vibrant bar scene (95)neighborhood gem (81)great for outdoor dining (41)late-night find (37)great for brunch (23)scenic view (21)kid-friendly (20)Show More
- Beautiful restaurant with yummy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/26/2014The restaurant was great and the service was superb. The food was delicious but beware of the meatball and shrimp cocktail. They are not kidding when they say it's spicy. We had a filet Oscar and it was PERFECTLY cooked. Our son had the filet sliders and he loved them. We will totally come back if we're back in Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food>OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2014I am never disappointed when I visit Harry & Izzy's! The St Elmo's shrimp cocktail is the best way to begin your meal with an Indianapolis signature item. The entrees are always prepared to perfection no matter what I have ordered. The service is always first class and they allow you to enjoy your meal without being intrusive. That is why I make this one of my favorite downtown Indianapolis restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/25/2014We always enjoy our dining experience here, choice of options is great. Can get a complete meal or just munch on sandwiches/appetizers. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Post Colt's game fun!SnootyFoodieVIPDined on 11/23/2014Great service and food after the Colt's game. The table had sliders of all kinds, onion rings and tasty Moscow Mules!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Local FavoriteJohnDined on 11/23/2014We always attend Harry and Izzy's before or after Colts home games. The staff is fantastic, the food is great, and the ambiance is a lot of fun. I highly recommend this restaurant for all occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014Great service and food. One of our favorite places!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2014Steaks are very thin. Wine sampling are too small to tell if you like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IndyDowntownerDined on 11/22/2014Great atmosphere, great food and great service! Continue to go back it never fails, always great food and great service!!Special Features:
- Another great experience!laves0826Dined on 11/22/2014Our food and service were both outstanding (as usual) and we will be back. It is special when my 9-year old granddaughter chose Harry and Izzy's and as she said: "I like the steak with blue cheese". Our service was awesome--and whether it is the downtown location OR the Northside location, we can always count on consistent quality and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatBandGDined on 11/21/2014We always make sure to visit when we are in town. The atmosphere is great with great decor and lighting. We have never ordered something we haven't loved! Highly recommend the French onion soup and prime rib sandwich! Can't go wrong with eating at Harry & Izzy's!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for small group or out of town guestsFJMoriccaDined on 11/20/2014Very vibrant bar scene and dining room. A more causal version of St. Elmo's, which is next door. The staff is very, very good and the food was quite good as well. $40 for a filet was expensive, so I went with the prime rib sandwich and was not disappointed. The brussels sprouts were great as was the spinach salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014I went there for my birthday and it was excellent. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful. The food was fantastic. It was a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mlqueen54Dined on 11/19/2014Dining at Harry & Izzy's is like going home to comfy cozy surroundings. The food is always oustanding, along with the service. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food and Super Service!!DisappointingVIPDined on 11/19/2014Our server was Paris and we are going to request him every time we come back! Love him.... exceptional attitude and awesome service, not to mention the food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation on-timeTDC2014Dined on 11/18/2014Despite being crazy busy with a basketball tournament in town, our reservation for 7 was seated right on time. Service was even attentive despite how busy it was. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colt's Pregame Meal was PerfectHoosierIzzyFanDined on 11/16/2014Excellent meal and atmosphere. Very attentive and accommodating service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place to eat in downtown Indy!ANM1001Dined on 11/16/2014I'm never disappointed at Harry & Izzy's! There atmosphere is always comfortable and their food is always great! The shrimp cocktail is always a real favorite of mine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceTANEISHAVIPDined on 11/15/2014My frined and I were there for the first time and it was an amazing experience. The service was great, the food was good and the music was AMAZING!!! I am so glad I can get good food and not have to put on my fancy attire. We were relaxed and stuffed :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceChitowncoupleDined on 11/14/2014Harry and Izzy's is our favorite place to eat when we visit Indianapolis. The food is great and the service is always exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsRisaDined on 11/12/2014We had 10 in our party, for a work dinner. Everything was seamless. Service and food were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable evening!BeefBoyDined on 11/10/2014Truly enjoyed ourselves. All our children have been regulars but we just got the Harry & Izzy's for the first time. Enjoyed the ambiance - and the evening just got better from there!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014The Restaurant was absolutely superb! The server was very friendly and knowledgeable. The food was outstanding, I recommend the bacon appetizer. It is slices of bacon seared and served with a spicy maple syrup, to die for! The salads we got were romaine heart with caramelized walnut and gorgonzola cheese and a nice vinaigrette very flavorful and also the wedge salad which was one of the best I have ever had. For entrees we got the 8oz Filet Oscar (topped with crab and béarnaise) and the creamed spinach. My husband got the ribeye steak and he could pull it apart without using his knife. He decided to get the cheddar mashed potatoes and there were two heaping scoop, enough for left overs. Desert was a wonderful pumpkin pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining - casualEsch2Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent food and service. Little pricey, but quality of food makes up for the cost. Steaks were delicious and serving portions plentiful.Special Features:
- Great time and Awsome food....LuckyMeDined on 11/8/2014Harry & Izzy's made our overnight stay in downtown Indy, a night we will always remember. I may just have to move to Indianapolis so I can eat there more often...Yes, it was that good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014The restaurant was exceptionally friendly and fun. The staff was welcoming and helpful. Our party of four all ordered steak which was cooked as ordered. The toasted raviolies were an excellent appetizer as was the speciality shrimp cocktail. The Brownie dessert was decadent and perfect for sharing.Special Features:
- great timesDateNiteswHusbandDined on 11/8/2014We met friends b4 the Pacers game. We did not feel rushed but got out in plenty of time for tip off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Upscale RestaurantGloria4rmModernFamilyDined on 11/7/2014Went for my bday dinner with 4 ppl; I reserved a table for 5 @ 7:30 PM on a Friday. The food was delicious; expensive, but delicious. Our table was sort of in an awkward corner so it wasn't the best seat in the house. The waitress we had was very pleasant & accommodating but another guy kept refilling our waters every 15 minutes. By the 30 minute mark, we could already see him coming with the pitcher miles away. Overall, the food & ambiance was good & mellow, but not too stuffy so you don't feel overwhelmed. I'd recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OrvyDined on 11/4/2014I have been here many times but this one was a little off. I think there were a number of larger groups and they all seemed to be seated in the upstairs section so the noise level was very high and the feeling was very cramped. No more booths for this guy.Special Features:
- nervousbedwetterDined on 11/3/2014Shrimp cocktail - excellent! Steaks - fabulous! We had reservations - only had to wait a couple of minutes to be seated - the place was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedPleasedVIPDined on 11/2/2014Had a wonderful experience for dinner. Everything was good. I wish it was warmer so we could have been outside! Thanks for a memorable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014This restaurant always seems busy couple that with a somewhat pricy menu, we anticipated a fantastic meal. Sadly it wasn't that great. The complimentary bread was awesome and had high hopes the meal would follow suit. We both had the St. Elmo Prime Rib Sandwich, it was a tad greasy and sat like a rock on both of us.
- Saturday night dinnerMingoDined on 11/1/2014I was in town for the marathon and was in charge of a "nice" dinner to celebrate on Saturday. You all out did yourselves. The food was great and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Large Group Great DinnerLemEVIPDined on 11/1/2014My group of 9 people had a great time. The menu was so varied that everyone could find entrees that they loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Aniversary dinnerSpiceOfLifeDined on 11/1/2014We enjoyed the experience very much. The peer corn encrusted New York strip was amazing! I had asparagus as my side. My wife had the Fillet Mignon with mushrooms and wished she had chose the NY strip. She had the potatoes that she really liked. We shared an incredible brownie desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceReservationPusherDined on 11/1/2014I had a reservation for 12:30 PM to get lunch before a formal event. Those joining me were running late and the staff of Harry and Izzy's were kind and understanding when I had to push the reservation back not once to 1:30 PM, but twice to 2 PM. Upon arriving, the waitress was great and attended to us very well before the rest of our party arrived 30 minutes later. The food was great and the ambience was enjoyable. I definitely would like to come back the next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- andresenDined on 10/30/2014Again - when I am in Indy it is hard for me to pick any other resturant - I just like the whole presentation - it's formal enough but not stodgySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic NY strip!!D1n1ng4lyf3Dined on 10/29/2014This was a fantastic place to go for a special occasion! Great food too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DessertBGindyDined on 10/28/2014Order the bread pudding and share with three friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome birthdayThreeGirlsDined on 10/26/2014Eight of us celebrated my daughter's 30th birthday. We had an awesome time. It was a perfect night. Our server was wonderful. They let me bring my own birthday dessert. Food was excellent. I wouldn't have changed a thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing its stridediegorivera2Dined on 10/25/2014Harry and Izzy's, long a staple of the 'almost as good' as the top-notch Indy restaurants, appears to have lost a bit of its rhythm in the crowded downtown market. A recent Saturday night visit underscored either the lack of proper server/expediter training or reveals how the restaurant has exceeded its reach. First, the dry aged ribeye, ordered eagerly and available from the St. Elmo's menu, failed to appear as a standard 12oz. ribeye took its place. Fortunately, the server realized the mistake but only at the end of the dinner course. Second, the wine list, which represents good value, is hard for the staff to comprehend as our server didn't understand why I wasn't thrilled with one vintage substituted for another.I would recommend this to a friend.