Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
153 South Illinois Street
Indianapolis, IN 46225Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.harryandizzys.com/
- Phone: 3176359594
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Dave Foegley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Harry & Izzy's - Downtown
Harry & Izzy's is an independent, upscale American Grill located in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. Its ambience exudes class and sophistication in a comfortable setting. While the lively bar is Harry & Izzy's focal point, unique dining rooms incorporate dark woods, lush fabrics and a deep color palette. This sister restaurant to the famous St. Elmo Steak House, shares a few classic dishes, while offering more menu variety. Open for lunch and dinner daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
Harry & Izzy's - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
421 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (280)good for groups (162)romantic (139)fit for foodies (121)great for lunch (114)notable wine list (114)hot spot (104)vibrant bar scene (79)neighborhood gem (78)great for outdoor dining (69)great for brunch (33)late-night find (33)kid-friendly (25)scenic view (18)Show More
- Great Atmosphere & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I took my girlfriend to Indy for a weekend get-away to celebrate our anniversary, and we went to Harry and Izzy's for dinner on a Sunday night. Alex was our server, and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. The food was tremendous, and the atmosphere was perfect. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great - except for allowing dogsHab74Dined on 8/31/2014We love Harry & Izzy's... my husband and I sat outside on the patio to enjoy the summer weather. Food was superb - wait staff a little slow, but I chalked it up to sitting on the patio. The only exception was that a non-working dog was allowed to sit at a table right behind us! I do not want to share my dining experience with someone else's canine. Plus, the said dog and another dog being walked on the sidewalk got into an altercation. I was shocked that an establishment such as Harry & Izzy's would allow someone's pet to dine with them.Special Features:
- Great mealHungryHappyDined on 8/31/2014It was our first trip to Harry & Izzy's and the food and drink were both great. We ate off the Devour Downtown menu (which ended 8/31/14), which had a couple of nice specials. The add-on Horseradish Gorgonzola butter for the filet was wonderful! Waiter had a few nice drink recommendations for the hard liquor drinkers of the group. Cheesecake was a little underwhelming but everything else was great!Special Features:
- PoorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Service was good but the food was a little off. Did not enjoy the meal and will not return for anniversary or other special occasions. Food was nothing special. Our party had sliders, salmon, and filet mignon. The seasoning was not present and the potatoes tasted like they were cooked earlier in week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Things went downhill quick. Food came out an 1.5 hours after ordering. Mgmt was nice and picked up the check, so I'd give them Another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a group of 10 for a birthday dinner. The food was FANTASTIC. The potatoes were the best any of us had ever had, salad and soup were perfect, and the desserts were to die for. As for the steak and chicken, St. Elmo's or Ruth's Chris is better but it was still very good. The service however was terrible. It took over an hour and a half to get our food and we were on a time schedule which they knew about ahead of time. They did upgrade our desserts to the bigger size but we were so full and short on time we didn't have time to eat it all and we're unable to take left overs due to plans for later in the night. Overall, I would go to St. Elmo's. I've been to both with a large party and they are more accommodating and have the same food.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We have been to many downtown Indy Restaurants. We decided to try Harry and Izzy's during devour downtown with friends from out of state. Here is our reasons for disappointment: 1. Service- We are usually patient with the wait staff because we know the restaurant was very busy on a weekend. However our server was very slow, and our food was luke warm 2. Most of us ordered mashed potatoes with our meal and they were starchy. Most likely because they sat for a while. 3. The steaks and chicken dishes were good but not warm. 4. We ordered crème brulee. It was not very good. 5. We ordered coffee and it came after most of our desserts were eaten. Note: We have been to St Elmo's in the past. It seems the service there is much better.Special Features:
- NiceplowshearDined on 8/30/2014We have been to this place numerous times over the past few years and is always good. Our food was exceptional this week. There shrimp is always great.Special Features:
- Mini reunionfoodismeDined on 8/30/2014Three of our four children were home for the weekend, so we celebrated with a downtown dinner. The lamb chops were delectable, and the filets could have been cut with a fork. And the bread! Son-in-law ate five pieces and took several home. Yes, it's that good. To top it all off, our server (who was excellent) recommended a red wine blend that was perfect for everyone. The tab was not for the faint of heart, but we knew that going in. This was a celebration of family being together and the evening was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Dinner was great and Jay provided awesome service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodTommyboyDined on 8/30/2014Great ribeye ! Prepared perfectly. Great service. Stuck upstairs back in a corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OhsixmbDined on 8/29/2014The only detractor was our seating in a room that had a group of 8 and a group of 14. The food, service, water, fresh bread, and utensils were always there and not at awkward times. Worth the price for an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Our waiter was excellent, very friendly and informative. Service was great, timely but not over intrusive. We can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectYummyDined on 8/28/2014The food, service, etc. all great. The ambiance suffered a bit from the music which wasn't the usual background 30's - 40's type we always liked before. Also, it was too loud. After all, it's supposed to be background music. Of course we'll be back!!Special Features:
- really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Best filet I've ever had. Salad good but really small portion for devour downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The shrimp was good, but pricey for 5! The entrees were okay but nothing wonderful. The fries were the best thing I had. The wait time for food was 30-45 min , I would hate to see the wait on the weekend.Special Features:
- Service? Where?1965steveVIPDined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed the devour Downtown menu. Salmon and filet were very nice. Service needs to be improved.Special Features:
- Excellent food qualitytjbnmkDined on 8/27/2014Granted, its expensive, but I had one of the best filets that I could recall.Special Features:
- TammyDined on 8/27/2014The ambiance, the atmosphere, and the food were wonderful. The only problem I had was that it was very hot in the room they sat us in upstairs.Special Features:
- vincentyDined on 8/27/2014Outstanding Dining experience. The service, food, decor, noise level, met my demanding expectations and I am hard to please. The shrimp cocktail is a must.Special Features:
- carsmi81Dined on 8/26/2014this was my first time dining there & i loved it. i will be returning :) the food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful experience!FoodLuvrrrDined on 8/26/2014From the decor to the food to the service to the overall ambiance - we had a delightful experience w/ Harry & Izzy's. Our server was very informative and attentive to our needs, the quality & timeliness of our food was excellent, and we just had a very pleasant dining experience. This was the 6th time I've eaten at Harry & Izzy's in the last year, and I am impressed with how consistent the food & service has been. I haven't been disappointed yet! Great job H & I, hope you keep it up!!Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurant!lexlawDined on 8/24/2014Our party of 7 had a wonderful evening at Harry & Izzy's-Downtown. We celebrated my mother's 91st Birthday. She uses a walker, so we were seated at a nice table on the lower level. A Happy Birthday card was placed at her seat prior to our arrival which really surprised & pleased her. Three of us ordered the 8 oz filet & another ordered another steak. The others ordered The Vegan & pasta dishes. The four who ordered the filet exclaimed, "Wow! That is the best steak I've ever had!" Every single one of us! It really melted in our mouths (we all had different doneness requests too). The non-steak diners enjoyed their entree's as well. Dessert: 2 had the Brownie (Mom's was free) & 2 had the peach/blueberry pie-all devine! Service = A+Special Features:
- Great dining experience.matsmaDined on 8/24/2014Service was exceptional, food was great. I couldn't have asked for a better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harry & Izzy's downtownRPhJDTravelerVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is a quaint, classy restaurant in downtown Indianapolis. It is next door to St. Elmo's Steakhouse, and is a bit more informal than its neighbor. The wine selection is pretty impressive, with a healthy choice of worthy reds. The tomato basil soup was quite nice, and the filet mignon (petit) was perfectly done. Service was top notch. I would gladly dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceluv2dineDined on 8/23/2014Paris was my server. He made my dinning experience spectacular. He was warm and friendly. He did an excellent job checking on me. He wasn't push. I truly enjoyed where I was seated. The view was perfect. I will mention that I was on time for my reservation, but I had to wait almost 30 minutes. As a courtesy, I could have been offered a complimentary glass of wine for my wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingfirsttimedinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have dined here many times. It is always fantastic. This time, we had a last minute change to our reservation (4 people from 2.) I called the morning of our reservation to make the increase. They were not able to accommodate our change at the same time, but could 15 min earlier. It was so nice they worked with me and the 15 minutes wasn't a big deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GigiDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food and atmosphere. Wait staff was attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for fooddiner1967Dined on 8/23/2014I have been to this location several times and always pleased with the food, service, and atmosphere. Kid friendly and good for larger groups. Can get busy in the evening so best to have reservations in advance. The menu has variety from sandwiches to top end steaks. Will continue to return to this great place.Special Features:
- Food was average at bestDisappointedDined on 8/23/2014We had 6 in our party and 3 were happy with their order and 3 of us were not. My tenderloin was burnt and the chicken Alfredo ordered by 2 of us was not good.Special Features:
- Devour downtown menuDEVDTOWNDined on 8/23/2014Ordered off of the devour downtown menu for lunch. The salad was excellent, but my wife and 2 others ordered the french onion and tomato basil soup, and were disappointed. We all ordered prime rib sandwiches, and while everyone liked it, no one considered it a dish they would order again. The service was very good, and the place is very well decorated and classy, but the food just did not meet my expectations. I will probably come back again sometime, but there are definitely other restaurants I would want to try first.Special Features:
- FavoriteOWDFfanDined on 8/22/2014Harry and Izzzy's has become a first stop when we visit Indy. Favorites include filet, Brussel sprouts and sinus clearing shrimp cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayMrsWilsonDined on 8/22/2014The food was okay, but I wouldn't pay the price again for the food we received. The only thing that was more than just "okay" was the shrimp cocktail and cocktail sauce. Also, our waiter wasn't very good either. He was very attentive at first, but as the meal went on, he rarely showed up. It took us over two hours from the time we sat down to the time we received our check. Although St. Elmo's is the sister restaurant, I was much more impressed with St. Elmo's than I was Harry & Izzy's. We were a party of 8 and all of us decided we probably won't be visiting again.Special Features:
- Fabulous!CaribbeangirlVIPDined on 8/22/2014I found Harry & Izzy's to have a more rounded menu than St. Elmo's. I started with the best spinach salad ever! None of the heavy dressing and tasteless mushrooms; this salad had bits of sweet/smoky (indescribably delicious!) bacon, flavorful cheese, and finished with a light, slightly citrus dressing. For my entree, I ordered two appetizers. The shrimp was like Bonefish's Bang-Bang shrimp; outstanding. But the little bone-in steak chops with herbed butter melted on top...well, I'm embarrassed to say that after getting all I could off the bone with my knife and fork, I picked them up and ate with my fingers to get every delicious bite! We dine downtown frequently, and I can say I haven't enjoyed a meal that much in a very long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, as usual!IndyriddlerDined on 8/21/2014Had the 6 oz fillet, medium, and it was like butter. Everything leading up to the main course was just as delicious. The romaine hearts salad was a decent sized portion, and a delicious blend of ingredients. As always, the shrimp cocktail was fire. One of my favorite places to go when I want a great steak but not in the mood for St. Elmo's or Ruth's Chris. I love the ambiance at Harry & Izzy's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harry & IzzysYum02Dined on 8/20/2014Great food and atmosphere. Our server was very quick even though it was extremely busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another enjoyable dinnerChefkenVIPDined on 8/20/2014We took a friend out to celebrate her birthday during the Devour Downtown promotion. We had good service and tried a variety of appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Everything was of good quality and quite tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualTrollsDadVIPDined on 8/18/2014I am a frequent customer of Harry and Izzy's and always enjoy the food and the service is top notch. This visit the food was really not of the normal caliber for me anyway. The service was also at a "B" level at best, and actually closer to a "C" or "D" Having said that, every restaurant is going to have an off night, and this is the first one I have ever had at H and I. Same with the service. I will always go back, and will always recommend it too!Special Features:
- Birthday partyEmkdDined on 8/17/2014I had a group of 14 Sunday for my boyfriends birthday. Food was great but the service was slow and un enthusiasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvtoeatDined on 8/17/2014Excellent food and service. A bit pricey for regular dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.